A Third Team In Sydney - It's Only a Matter Of Time !!

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sydney - 4,500,00 population
Perth & Adelaide - 2,000,000 combined population

Classic.

Perth reached 2 million in late 2015. So you’re only out by a whole million people at the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Its always the 'get something else right first' argument. The AFL won't address what should be done. So why wait forever? Why not at least get something right for once.

Between BL, GC, GWS, StK, NM, WB & whoever else, we'll be waiting a long time for them to be 'right'.

Not enough talent to fill 19 teams.

Cut teams to 15/16 players on field, cut lists accordingly and makes room for more talent to be spread across a 3rd syd team in 5-10 years

Not enough talent to fill 19 teams.

Lack of talent is not the biggest issue. Its the finances. Waiting for all those clubs to 'get right' will be forever. Surely in a national competition part of the consideration must be to put clubs where they'll have the best chance of self sufficiency for the longest time.
WA3 & Tas1.

Cut teams to 15/16 players on field, cut lists accordingly and makes room for more talent to be spread across a 3rd syd team in 5-10 years

Ive said this for years 16 a side works for the womens game and in the past was very successful in the VFA for over 20 years.

In business the cost of labour is always the biggest expense and so it is in the AFL so cut the number of players and the bloated "football depts" this would have the twin effect of saving millions of dollars and lifting the quality of players on the field.
Another bonus is it would open the game up with less players able to crowd around stoppages making the game much more enjoyable to watch.
As for a 3rd team in Sydney forget for now and as others have said get QLD fixed first.

Ive said this for years 16 a side works for the womens game and in the past was very successful in the VFA for over 20 years.

In business the cost of labour is always the biggest expense and so it is in the AFL so cut the number of players and the bloated "football depts" this would have the twin effect of saving millions of dollars and lifting the quality of players on the field.
Another bonus is it would open the game up with less players able to crowd around stoppages making the game much more enjoyable to watch.
As for a 3rd team in Sydney forget for now and as others have said get QLD fixed first.

I've noted this before, I lived in Melbourne for a while & loved watching VFA 16 a side footy. The AFL were happy to destroy it. A real pity as I thought thats the way the game should go.

I don't understand why they don't trial this pre season, the EFL in Melbourne is potentially going to 16
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/leader/...n/news-story/aadc35749c5a3c86040c6ddcf2fd7e5e

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have to say just the financial aspect alone is worth considering. At an average of $300k per player, 16 a side would justify a reduction in playing lists by 3 or 4. That's worth a million dollars a year to the clubs. Each.

Although I suspect that the AFLPA would fight tooth and nail to maintain the salary cap as is, which makes it a bit of a false economy.

I have to say just the financial aspect alone is worth considering. At an average of $300k per player, 16 a side would justify a reduction in playing lists by 3 or 4. That's worth a million dollars a year to the clubs. Each.

Although I suspect that the AFLPA would fight tooth and nail to maintain the salary cap as is, which makes it a bit of a false economy.
Yes, salary cap would not drop at all. You just get a ride in average pay. Not a saving at all.

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

16 a side is shithouse. Stop changing the game.

Worst thing that ever happened was the AFL owning the rules to Australian Football.
It doesn't own the rules. My local league has its own rules. There is basically no deliberate out of bounds for instance. Lower leagues tend to take their guidance from the AFL, but unless they are directly controlled by the AFL, they will have their own rule committee.

Yes, salary cap would not drop at all. You just get a ride in average pay. Not a saving at all.

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

Yep. Cutting match payments would be a bit of an issue for the AFLPA.

I can't see it happening until the next round of negotiations, and I'd hope there would be a lot of checking about the pros and cons as well as other options (e.g. smaller bench) before then.

That only means something if comps are obliged to follow them, which they are not.

Maybe they're not 'obliged', but when everyone is watching the AFL (and maybe some of the better kids hope to play there), being too far off the AFL's rules would be a problem.

16 a side is shithouse. Stop changing the game.

Worst thing that ever happened was the AFL owning the rules to Australian Football.

So if t is so bad why is the AFLW playing 16 a side?.
16 a side was fantastic in the VFA it made for a faster more open game with plenty on one on one contests and didnt have the ugly rugby style scrimmages we see now in the AFL.I suppose you will hate the new AFL X game as well?

Leave
So if t is so bad why is the AFLW playing 16 a side?.
16 a side was fantastic in the VFA it made for a faster more open game with plenty on one on one contests and didnt have the ugly rugby style scrimmages we see now in the AFL.I suppose you will hate the new AFL X game as well?
Who said fast open is great football? A football purist can appreciate all styles.

Keep the modifieds to modified football like AFLX. Ehh dont really care for it.

Means that the AFL can change the rules willy nilly and still be called Australian Football.

If a country league needs to reduce numbers, due to shortage of players, fine. AFL Changing rules to make the game “more attractive” can GOGF.
I am not sure this is anything more than a perception issue. They could split the rules committee of, make it independent, and call it the world Australian Football governing committee, and have them change the rules. However, the pre-eminent comp is still the AFL, this committee will still make rule changes based on what they think is good for the AFL. The AFL will not be changing rules to suit themselves, but nothing will have changed.
Its not like FIFA, where multiple different and very powerful stakeholders make change slow, and decision making conservative.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back