A Third Team In Sydney - It's Only a Matter Of Time !!

Banana Bread

Hot Daddy
Jan 25, 2013
Deep Inside
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Tottenham, Bucks
I remember around the turn of the century I went on a school camp to Canberra.

Basically once we passed the border into NSW from VIC there were no footy goal posts to be seen anywhere until we crossed back into Victoria on the way home. Cricket ovals and rugby posts pretty much all the way.

I do wonder how it would compare to today if I were to make the same trip.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

HavUEvaSeenTheRain

Premiership Player
Apr 20, 2006
AFL Club
Carlton
I remember around the turn of the century I went on a school camp to Canberra.

Basically once we passed the border into NSW from VIC there were no footy goal posts to be seen anywhere until we crossed back into Victoria on the way home. Cricket ovals and rugby posts pretty much all the way.

I do wonder how it would compare to today if I were to make the same trip.
I’m not sure what way you went but there’s always been very strong football areas between Victoria and Canberra

General Giant

Hall of Famer
Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
And they will get there way all the SANZAAR nations are broke the European’s don’t want relegation they will get way as financially they can afford to back out and the SANZAAR nations can’t
Exactly. Which is ridiculous.

Without allowing the 2nd tier nations to aspire to grow why would they bother?

Seedsfan

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 10, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood

Because of the money. If Fiji and Georgia go in over the US and Japan that’s a lot less dollars

Seedsfan

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 10, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
So they made a profit in 2017 ( a Lions tour year) and a loss in 2018. That doesn't make them broke. The previous Lions tour was 2005.

How many years of big losses have they racked up? What is their debt profile??
Pretty sure the last season before that the posted a profit was the year they hosted the WC.

madmug

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 17, 2009
Hobart
AFL Club
Collingwood

Being an AR site, So whats the difference with the AFL? Support perennially struggling 'established' clubs, pick & bankroll previously failed sports areas, basically ignore grass roots (except if they can ring a few draft picks out of it), & ignore '2nd' tier areas which have a long & fruitful AR history & already spend on AFL FIFO clubs. FK RU. How about ARF.

General Giant

Hall of Famer
Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
Being an AR site, So whats the difference with the AFL? Support perennially struggling 'established' clubs, pick & bankroll previously failed sports areas, basically ignore grass roots (except if they can ring a few draft picks out of it), & ignore '2nd' tier areas which have a long & fruitful AR history & already spend on AFL FIFO clubs. FK RU. How about ARF.
It's a different type of comp.

Based around National teams than clubs.

Basically just turns the tests they already play into a competition.

As for the rest of your message it's a bit of a rant(grassroots bad when it's not your grassroots?).
I'm not a fan of rugby at the moment for killing of the West of Sydney and going back to its private schools, but it is what it is. They will lose out in the and.

madmug

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 17, 2009
Hobart
AFL Club
Collingwood
It's a different type of comp.

Based around National teams than clubs.

Basically just turns the tests they already play into a competition.

As for the rest of your message it's a bit of a rant(grassroots bad when it's not your grassroots?).
I'm not a fan of rugby at the moment for killing of the West of Sydney and going back to its private schools, but it is what it is. They will lose out in the and.
You should keep up. Victorian country leagues too are pi**ed with the AFL's one way traffic.

HavUEvaSeenTheRain

Premiership Player
Apr 20, 2006
AFL Club
Carlton
You should keep up. Victorian country leagues too are pi**ed with the AFL's one way traffic.
I live Swan Hill now and we are probably one or two years away from losing a league and there is absolutely nothing the AFL can do about it. Declining population/aging is all that is to blame.
In the bigger leagues having too much money is the biggest problem because it all just goes to players. They brought in a salary cap but everyone knows it is not working in the slightest. Personally I think money have made these bigger clubs/leagues too professional now and the fun has been dragged out of it. Like cricket now juniors seem happy to play up until an age that they realise they are no good and then just give it away. That I see as more a society problem but also some local clubs are to blame for not making it fun enough. No doubt there are things the AFL could do better but most country areas that are struggling have very little to do with lack of AFL support.

Seedsfan

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 10, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
A world league can/could still handle that.
It could but it gets a bit big if it’s more than 12 teams and the smaller nations if they are in won’t bring in the same revenue.

I think with all international sports world bodies should have more control when it comes to distributing revenue so all nations have a better chance of competing on field a bit like the AFL does

(Log in to remove this ad.)

General Giant

Hall of Famer
Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
I bet the Vics are upset that money is spent elsewhere.
They still think the non Vic clubs should be 10 to 18th and only produce extra kids for their clubs.

Interesting the media is only outraged when Vic clubs close their doors. But anywhere else and they couldn't care less.

Seedsfan

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 10, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
I bet the Vics are upset that money is spent elsewhere.
They still think the non Vic clubs should be 10 to 18th and only produce extra kids for their clubs.

Interesting the media is only outraged when Vic clubs close their doors. But anywhere else and they couldn't care less.
No, in Victoria we still produce more than half the talent pool so obviously we deserve money getting spent at a grass roots level. Money is being stripped out of footy here to pay for other things. I know in WA and SA the state bodies own the AFL license and use some of the income generated off them to develop the game in the state.

I think the pathways in Victoria have become messy and complicated we need to move to an AFL reserves as that’s what is best for all clubs and then we need to revive the state league. I would be happy for the AFL to tax some of the Vic clubs to fund it

flamingEMBERS

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 8, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
No, in Victoria we still produce more than half the talent pool so obviously we deserve money getting spent at a grass roots level. Money is being stripped out of footy here to pay for other things. I know in WA and SA the state bodies own the AFL license and use some of the income generated off them to develop the game in the state.

I think the pathways in Victoria have become messy and complicated we need to move to an AFL reserves as that’s what is best for all clubs and then we need to revive the state league. I would be happy for the AFL to tax some of the Vic clubs to fund it
No thanks on the AFL reserves. I’d rather my clubs players play men in the wafl than a glorified colts competition. Might make sense in Victoria but not in the wa or sa

Top Bottom