A Third Team In Sydney - It's Only a Matter Of Time !!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
WAFC does, both directly and indirectly (through the WA clubs) and WAFC gives money to Subi (et al).

The AFL clubs are funding that level of footy in part depending on the business model applicable in that State, & it differs by State, as does the involvement of club sponsors, hence I questioned your earlier claim:
Considering the vast majority of kids are playing in (AFL sponsored/supported) junior comps, the 'generational growth' is bought and paid for by Victorian football, not the Swans (although really, we pay for them as well, so it amounts to the same thing).

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
QBE do pay for part of the Swans academy, sure.

But what about Brisbane, GWS & GC? Those 3 clubs can't pay for anything without the AFL signing off on it and funding it.

Even QBE...Why do they fund the Swans? For the PR of course (as with any advertiser), and why do they get that PR? Because the AFL pushes it on the NSW public (TV deal forcing low rating/loss making broadcast onto FTA TV, 'encouraging' friendly media and government support). All of which is fine to help grow the game/support, but for 2 things...The on field manipulation and people pretending they're stronger than they are.

QBE sponsorship is not limited to any particular sport:

Subiaco Football Club
We’ve sponsored WAFL side, the Subiaco Lions, for more than 30 years. As principal partner, we also support a number of the Perth-based club’s events each season.

Find out more about the Subiaco Lions.

Sydney Swans
We’ve been the Sydney Swans’ principal sponsor for 30 years. Our commitment to the Swans, the fans and AFL makes this partnership one of the most enduring in Australian sports history. We extended our support in 2010, becoming the principal partner of the QBE Sydney Swans Academy, an initiative designed to identify talent at a young age and help develop them into future AFL professionals

Find out more about the Sydney Swans.
Find out more about the NSW Swifts.
Find out more about the Sydney Roosters.
Find out more about Perth Glory.

& the extent of the QBE corporate involvement, PR even: https://www.qbe.com.au/about/community

Then there is your understanding of the AFL evident in your question:
But what about Brisbane, GWS & GC? Those 3 clubs can't pay for anything without the AFL signing off on it and funding it.

These three are just some of the beneficiaries of the current AFL equalisation policy, Equalisation Recipient Clubs is how the Bulldogs president Peter Gordon referred to them on Friday.
Disingenuous: typically by pretending that one knows less about something than one really does. Fit the bill telsor !!!

Last edited:

Garlic muncher

Cancelled
Feb 3, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
GREATER Western Sydney's off-field departures have reached a worrying level, with a high-powered director quitting and pulling $1million of funding allocated for 2016.

Following a dispute with chief executive David Matthews, influential board member Paul Moore has walked out on the League's newest club.

It is believed Moore's decision stems from a belief that the money he provided the Giants – money which he requested be invested in Giants academy and grass roots programs – was being spent elsewhere.

Moore also provided money to the Sydney Swans' player academy and the Swans will lose that funding on the back of Moore's decision.

Moore has pumped more than $2 million into both clubs' operations in the past four years, and had increased his commitment up to $1 million for 2016 before his decision to cease involvement.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-03-...inues-with-influential-board-members-quitting

Although the time lines make no sense, quits in March 16 and pulls funding yet the DT has an article in May 16 stating he funds academies x amount yearly

Established1870

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 28, 2016
Tigris River
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Baghdad Bombers
They are up & running now
But What are your KPIs for being 'up & running' in 20 years?

When I say "up and running", I mean them being able to stand up on their own two feet financially, the academies increasing the talent pool and getting more kids away from league/soccer and into our code, the Giants actually getting people to games and being firmly entrenched in Western Sydney and having made a good base for footy to grow in NSW.

When they all happen, a 3rd Sydney club should be looked at. In saying all of that, Tassie and only Tassie should be considered the next area for expansion. I will be legit pissed if Newcastle or Woolongong get a side over Tassie.

Garlic muncher

Cancelled
Feb 3, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
When I say "up and running", I mean them being able to stand up on their own two feet financially, the academies increasing the talent pool and getting more kids away from league/soccer and into our code, the Giants actually getting people to games and being firmly entrenched in Western Sydney and having made a good base for footy to grow in NSW.

When they all happen, a 3rd Sydney club should be looked at. In saying all of that, Tassie and only Tassie should be considered the next area for expansion. I will be legit pissed if Newcastle or Woolongong get a side over Tassie.

I dont think anyone would argue that, and i think everyone knew what you meant, the 3rd team in Sydney will be South/South Western Sydney, Newcastle is to fragmented an area for mine.

You can guarantee as soon as GWS looks financially secure the 3rd team will be on the front page, that is of course if GWS manages to to stand on its own 2 feet, it needs to be financially OK and it needs to build grass roots footy in WS, that could take 5 years, 10 years or never.

The Swans have done it albeit dealing with a different demographic around the Northern and Eastern suburbs.

Mar 17, 2009
Hobart
AFL Club
Collingwood

The financial requirement might challenge more than GWS.
That apart, I think the value of GWS is as a flagship for the game in a huge area. Its a long term project.
I dont see the need for a 3rd team in Sydney for a very, very long time.
WA3 & Tas1 now

The AFL clubs are funding that level of footy in part depending on the business model applicable in that State, & it differs by State, as does the involvement of club sponsors, hence I questioned your earlier claim:
Considering the vast majority of kids are playing in (AFL sponsored/supported) junior comps, the 'generational growth' is bought and paid for by Victorian football, not the Swans (although really, we pay for them as well, so it amounts to the same thing).

If you're going to quote me, then actually quote me.

Yes, it varies from state to state, but the AFL puts money in for for most of them. To claim that AFL doesn't help pay for Subi U-19s because they funnel the money through WAFC is ridiculous.

QBE sponsorship is not limited to any particular sport:

So? Does that change the fact that they do it for the advertising value of it, and that that value is increased by the AFL 'support' which ensures the Swans (and their sponsors) get more coverage?

Then there is your understanding of the AFL evident in your question:

These three are just some of the beneficiaries of the current AFL equalisation policy, Equalisation Recipient Clubs is how the Bulldogs president Peter Gordon referred to them on Friday.
Disingenuous: typically by pretending that one knows less about something than one really does. Fit the bill telsor !!!

Are you incapable of quoting, or are you just trying to backhandedly misquote me and/or make it harder for people to go back and realise the context of what I said? (knowing your penchant for taking statements selectively and completely out of context).

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
So? Does that change the fact that they do it for the advertising value of it, and that that value is increased by the AFL 'support' which ensures the Swans (and their sponsors) get more coverage?

Are you incapable of quoting, or are you just trying to backhandedly misquote me and/or make it harder for people to go back and realise the context of what I said? (knowing your penchant for taking statements selectively and completely out of context).

disingenuous sums up your posts on this issue:

then you acknowledged you know that to be hubris:
QBE do pay for part of the Swans academy, sure.

and this:
then you acknowledged:
But what about Brisbane, GWS & GC? Those 3 clubs can't pay for anything without the AFL signing off on it and funding it when you ignore the Victorian clubs in the same position.

As for misquoting you, anyone can always refer to your original post.

Garlic muncher

Cancelled
Feb 3, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
Metro Sydney is such a huge market that Sutherland is not really in Swans or GWS territory, it is sort of the forgotten southern end and IMO it is the area that could be the target for the 3rd Sydney team if it ever eventuates.

Having invested $700,000 into the facility, Club Waratah is the AFL’s second largest community infrastructure project in New South Wales – Blacktown International Sportspark being the largest.

http://aflnswact.com.au/blog/2016/08/08/afl-invests-sutherland-shire-facility/

Mar 17, 2009
Hobart
AFL Club
Collingwood
Metro Sydney is such a huge market that Sutherland is not really in Swans or GWS territory, it is sort of the forgotten southern end and IMO it is the area that could be the target for the 3rd Sydney team if it ever eventuates.

Having invested $700,000 into the facility, Club Waratah is the AFL’s second largest community infrastructure project in New South Wales – Blacktown International Sportspark being the largest.

Sydney is not a sufficiently strong enough 'footy' city to have AFL level clubs represent a shire/suburb like Sutherland. It has a population of 210k. It couldnt support a NEAFL level club, let alone an AFL club.
I read about the $700k investment, thats great. I can tell you a local TSL club here, Glenorchy FC, are about to open a $7million facility incorporating their clubs social facilities, a migrant resource centre & a private allied health facility with hydrotherapy facility. Thats a club doing a good job to improve itself in its community, without asking for AFL handouts. Even with that level of effort they couldnt run a NEAFL/VFL level club. So Sutherland has no hope.
WA3 & Tas1 are the best 2 next areas for AFL clubs, by a country mile.

Garlic muncher

Cancelled
Feb 3, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
Sydney is not a sufficiently strong enough 'footy' city to have AFL level clubs represent a shire/suburb like Sutherland. It has a population of 210k. It couldnt support a NEAFL level club, let alone an AFL club.
I read about the $700k investment, thats great. I can tell you a local TSL club here, Glenorchy FC, are about to open a $7million facility incorporating their clubs social facilities, a migrant resource centre & a private allied health facility with hydrotherapy facility. Thats a club doing a good job to improve itself in its community, without asking for AFL handouts. Even with that level of effort they couldnt run a NEAFL/VFL level club. So Sutherland has no hope.
WA3 & Tas1 are the best 2 next areas for AFL clubs, by a country mile.

If by any chance GWS consolidates itself and both them and the Swans are doing OK, grass roots improves significantly out west then if there is a chance of a third team in Sydney looking remotely successful the AFL will be on to it like a rat up a drainpipe- forget Tassie.

The South of Sydney is not just Sutherland, I just found it a bit odd that that part of Sydney was being targeted, it is a hell of a long way from where GWS plays and also Swans territory.

That part of Sydney also has probably the weakest junior base.

Mar 17, 2009
Hobart
AFL Club
Collingwood
If by any chance GWS consolidates itself and both them and the Swans are doing OK, grass roots improves significantly out west then if there is a chance of a third team in Sydney looking remotely successful the AFL will be on to it like a rat up a drainpipe- forget Tassie.

The South of Sydney is not just Sutherland, I just found it a bit odd that that part of Sydney was being targeted, it is a hell of a long way from where GWS plays and also Swans territory.

That part of Sydney also has probably the weakest junior base.

Mate, if the area were a million people, & its not, it wouldnt support an AFL club. Their is no AFL culture which would bring that southern area together. Maybe if the AFL spent another $200million they may get some sort of result in 40years or so. Is that an efficient use of resources? I think 2 professional clubs is more than enough of an AFL investment in a crowded sports market like Sydney.

Sydney will ultimately have 4 clubs. Mind you 1 might be based in Newcastle.

Garlic muncher

Cancelled
Feb 3, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood

I may be giving the AFL and AFL NSW and their plans to much credence, but this part of Sydney is not a strong AFL area, and a very long way from where GWS is building, perhaps just perhaps they are looking way way down the track and putting building blocks in place.

There are plenty of other areas around Sydney where footy is relatively strong where the money could have been spent and would add on to the Swans or GWS Coattails.

I believe Sydney will have 3 AFL teams, can't say when that will happen though.

Garlic muncher

Cancelled
Feb 3, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
Pie in the sky.

Do you think soccah & thugby loig & thugby onion will just lay down?

I'd bet Newcastle will never have its own AFL club.

The second Sydney AFL team was not pie in the sky ?, even the first one was out there at the time

Pie in the sky.

Do you think soccah & thugby loig & thugby onion will just lay down?

I'd bet Newcastle will never have its own AFL club.

I love playing soccer but god knows who could watch Australian soccer. In fact I can't imagine watching any game............boring as bat s**t.

but yep, you're right

saviour01

All Australian
Jul 1, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney

The club has gone to s**t. 2 years ago they had 4 teams (2 mens, 19s-2 and womens) and were dominate in div 1 and div 3.

This year they have lost their u19s (wanted to merge then decided they couldn't even half fill a team) had their womens merge, 2 wins from 16 games in div 4 and 6/18 in div 1.

The next closest team (st george) has had 1.2m recieved/spent on facilities in the past few years (just got 300k from state and 200k from federal). Have gone from 3 teams (premier division, div 1 and u19s-1) to 5 teams (adding a second u19s and a div 4 side).

Prems finished 13/16, div 1 12/18, div 4 11/16, u19s-1 13/16 and u19s-2 12/15.

It honestly wouldn't surprise me to see them fold within the next few years especially with no juniors. let alone host an afl side.

Garlic muncher

Cancelled
Feb 3, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
The club has gone to s**t. 2 years ago they had 4 teams (2 mens, 19s-2 and womens) and were dominate in div 1 and div 3.

This year they have lost their u19s (wanted to merge then decided they couldn't even half fill a team) had their womens merge, 2 wins from 16 games in div 4 and 6/18 in div 1.

The next closest team (st george) has had 1.2m recieved/spent on facilities in the past few years (just got 300k from state and 200k from federal). Have gone from 3 teams (premier division, div 1 and u19s-1) to 5 teams (adding a second u19s and a div 4 side).

Prems finished 13/16, div 1 12/18, div 4 11/16, u19s-1 13/16 and u19s-2 12/15.

It honestly wouldn't surprise me to see them fold within the next few years especially with no juniors. let alone host an afl side.

Guess they are attempting to shore it up, i do remember as a kid playing against teams from around that way - Miranda.

Huge area and very little footy presence.

Garlic muncher

Cancelled
Feb 3, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
Another team from Sydney must be on the radar, the city is to big a market for just 2 teams, I wonder if the AFL has plans just ready to pull out in the best case scenario of rusted on GWS support.

As Fitzpatrick said yesterday that in 20 years or so they hope to be the market leader across the East Coast then surely to do that a third team must be on the horizon.

Last edited:
Mar 17, 2009
Hobart
AFL Club
Collingwood
Another team from Sydney must be on the radar, the city is to big a market for just 2 teams, I wonder if the AFL has plans just ready to pull out in the best case scenario of rusted on GWS support.

As Fitzpatrick said yesterday that in 20 years or so they hope to be the market leader across the East Coast then surely to do that a third team must be on the horizon.

Yeh sure. Lets just forget the 8 NRL clubs & their financial & cultural position. Also RU & Soccer.
Whats the cost benefit of supporting another team for decades? This is massive generational stuff. Even GWS is no where near being 'established' as self sufficient.
Come & see me next century.
Get a grip.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back