A Third Team In Sydney - It's Only a Matter Of Time !!

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Winning[?] the North would be epic an epic long term achievement and begs the question, how many teams could Sydney actually host in 2050 and beyond.
If Australian Football truly wins[?] the north and become the first choice sport in Qld and NSW there would be a huge increase in the talent pool.
Excluding Sthn. & SW NSW (AF heartland) & Canberra metro (where AF is very strong), RL is almost certain to remain the most popular sport (on most metrics , excluding participation) in NSW in2050. RL, RU, & soccer have 100 years+ generational support. The NRL has massive ratings in NSW cf the AFL- no one is predicting that AF can overtake RL in popularity in the next 30 years.

What the AFL can, & should do, is to become the clear no. 2 sport in NSW by 2050.
The current trends, assuming they continue, will ensure that AF will become the clear no.2 sport in NSW by 2050. This will provide a massive boost for AF, & will facilitate the creation of a 3rd AFL team in Sydney.
It appears inevitable, also, that AF Official Regd. club & school competition nos. will overtake contact RL Official Regd. club & school competition nos.

2. Sky Sport NZ RU Panel- Breakdown podcast 18.2.20

N. Mc Ardle, an Aust. respected RU commentator on Fox Sports, gave a depresssing "State Of The Nation" report to this NZ RU panel, re the situation of RU currently in Australia. As he was made redundant recently by Fox Sports (part of its general RU cost-cutting), he can be more frank now- he no longer needs to be a RU "booster".

In this Super Rugby season, no Aust. RU team has been able to defeat an overseas team in the 6 games played against overseas opponents. Apart from the ACT Brumbies, some Aust. teams have produced very poor performances...perhaps , in Super Rugby, Aust. may have to again "shrink to greatness"?

He said
" The game is struggling here, & has been for some time... It's still on the table to merge the Rebels & Brumbies...even (traditional NSW & Qld.- my word) rugby schools are now opening their doors to AFL...this was the last bastion...of the rugby system...".

Panellist Sir J. Kirwan, All Black World Cup-winning legend, who also played 2 years in the NRL, replied

Australia elite RU "... gets the 4th pick (of athletes- my words)... (Australia has) got the AFL, all these people (AFL development staff in NSW & Qld.- my words) doing great jobs...AFL has coaches in the schools (NSW & Qld. schools- my words)...AFL should be dead, yet it's growing... it's an amazing marketing tool".

(go to 36 minutes 30 secs - 40 mins 35 secs)

Last edited:
If Australian Football truly wins the north and become the first choice sport in Qld and NSW there would be a huge increase in the talent pool.

On a side note. The standard of the game or as i prefer to say the standard of the bad teams, has dropped off significantly, as bad clubs are so much younger than they ever were. When you see clubs playing 7 teenagers or 10 guys under 22 you realise why the bad teams have no chance and the "State of the Game" gets called into question. They're playing glorified colts sides. Raise the draft age and it will raise the standard.

Playing about with the draft age will potentially work to keep kids in the game longer ... I've little doubt we lose the equivalent of Pods, Tim Kelly or Marlion Pickett whose best in their mid to late 20s is demonstrably AFL standard.
Why the obsession with underage talent? See the doom & gloom claims for the Eagles over preferring Kelly to draft choices.

As for Q & NSW, I'm with you.

What the AFL can, & should do, is to become the clear no. 2 sport in NSW by 2050.

Absolute rubbish.
There is no benefit in being in any position except number one where unfortunately the media focus rests.
The reporting of sport in many cases bears no relation to it's popularity or ratings.
The most import thing for the AFL and Australian Football is to keep on improving, developing and spreading.
In that regard AFLW has been fantastic with the AFLW the leading competition for women.
There will come a time when the media simply cannot refuse to recognize the popularity of Australian Football.

I had a relation in Sydney reporting that rugby league nines was big in my city Perth.
I didn't know it was on and I wonder if Sydney made the same fuss about AFLW getting 35k to Perth Stadium on the same weekend.
I very much doubt it.
The ABC continues to cut reasonably high rating state competitions in favour of low rating national competitions simply because they are national and/or for women but it takes AFLW to get 35k before the ABC will lead off with women's Australian Football.
Have you ever watched the ABC's sport's news. Where's Australian Football in the lead-in? It's as if AFL doesn't exist.
What backdrop do the ABC use - the MCG, the SCG, the sate-of-the art Perth Stadium ? - no they use some empty non-descript rectangular stadium with green seating. How about a little pride and promotion ABC and more what the people want after all you're on tax dollars.

Giants stadium has never been this empty. Even in the early years getting flogged by 100.

Heartland sport and heartland club wasn’t it pip?View attachment 826851

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Question I realise soccer may not be your thing which is fine but why do you have such a hatred of the a league and especially the wanderers? It’s a bit bizarre!

Question I realise soccer may not be your thing which is fine but why do you have such a hatred of the a league and especially the wanderers? It’s a bit bizarre!

He's just trolling the troll. GG's a fan of multiple sports, which isn't unusual for people not born into the traditional Australian football landscape.

General Giant is an A-league fan a big SydneyFC fan at that, He contributes to the Football Australia board quite regularly, imo I think Pippen94 just grinds his gears over his inflated opinions on GWS and football in NSW.

His hate for the Wanderers is something else through not surprising considering he's a SydneyFC fan.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just my observations after 20 years in Melbourne.

Fair enough, what i have noticed is many AF fans follow soccer in Perth, what i noticed living in a semi rural area on the east coast is many AF fans follow RL a bit

If we are talking other footy codes, which think we are.

Fair enough, what i have noticed is many AF fans follow soccer in Perth, what i noticed living in a semi rural area on the east coast is many AF fans follow RL a bit

Nothing wrong with bagging a sport you like to make a point against another imo

TBF, I follow multiple sports, but really only comment much on two and then the others just a bit.

If you were around a few years ago you would be very familiar with comments not just around how the A-League was going to be the biggest sporting league in the country, but how the Wanderers were going to be the biggest club in Australian sport. Some of those comments were quite vitriolic, and all of them would be contenders for the shittest take in Australian sports history.

I can thoroughly understand why there may be some people that haven't forgotten that given the Wanderers are now in the conversation when it comes to the smallest professional sporting teams in Sydney.

Answer.
Actually love the sport And am a member of the Skyblues.

The constant abuse from the scum though, and the amusement I have that 1 fan in particular made an account just to bag AFL in Sydney, means that when stuff like this is happening, well it puts a smile on my dial.

I post things relevant to the topic though, hows about you?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Wait what?

That's a really bizarre claim to make ? and IMO false.

You are correct, it is a bizarre claim.

I don't know anyone in Melbourne who is genuinely in to the AFL and does not also have an interest in multiple other sports

People confuse the concentration of passion / interest for Australian football - where other sports struggle for clear air - with a lack of interest in other sports.

Melbourne, Adelaide and Perth - pound for pound - get better crowds across a variety of sports than Sydney and Brisbane

You are correct, it is a bizarre claim.

I don't know anyone in Melbourne who is genuinely in to the AFL and does not also have an interest in multiple other sports

People confuse the concentration of passion / interest for Australian football - where other sports struggle for clear air - with a lack of interest in other sports.

Melbourne, Adelaide and Perth - pound for pound - get better crowds across a variety of sports than Sydney and Brisbane

How many A-league games have you been to? NRL? Super rugby? NBL? Was my point really, although maybe not well put.

GG and myself are much more likely to actually attend and support the sports we grew up with and now another sport which we've grown to love. I don't think that's bizarre at all, but perfectly fair and accurate.

OK, I'll humour you first

How many A-league games have you been to?

Maybe 30

4 or 5

Super rugby?

a couple

Pretty sure 0 but ive been to an NBA game

Was my point really, although maybe not well put.

GG and myself are much more likely to actually attend and support the sports we grew up with and now another sport which we've grown to love. I don't think that's bizarre at all, but perfectly fair and accurate.

Except that wasn't your point at all. Your point was clear

GG's a fan of multiple sports, which isn't unusual for people not born into the traditional Australian football landscape

which you followed up with

Just my observations after 20 years in Melbourne.

Some fans of Australian football have a distaste or even a contempt for other codes...this could be due to parochialism or tastes. There is simply no basis to assert that this is any more the case than among fans of other sports. The fact that Melbourne Adelaide and Perth outshine the other cities in terms of attendance at other sports backs this up.

As it is, I have met several rugby league fans who detest Australian football. Again, some might be for parochial reasons but I suspect a lot of it is due to following a sport with a very predictable pattern and effectively no contest for the ball to which the chaotic and often broken nature of Australian football is unpalatable (i.e. "fumbleball", "aerial ping pong", "seagulls fighting over a chip"). And obviously it would be annoying for rugby league fans living in Melbourne I'm sure but no basis to make sweeping (and demonstrably wrong) generalisations about people who grow up in the " traditional Australian football landscape "

Last edited:
Some fans of Australian football have a distaste or even a contempt for other codes...this could be due to parochialism or tastes.

No. It's more of a reaction to fans of other codes reacting against the popularity of Australian Football.

The fact that Melbourne Adelaide and Perth outshine the other cities in terms of attendance at other sports backs this up.

This is opinion and certainly not fact. Perth has two AFL teams, no RU, no NRL, a soccer team for sale. Yes, Perth is bigger in NBL and used to be big in ABL but we're talking basically football here.
If you had stated stated "interest" in stead of "attendance" you might have been closer, but even there you'd be wrong. A lot of Perth have a interest in the EPL but would never be seen dead at a Australian soccer match.
This, interest in other sports, is just that - an interest. It might be a following even but not what constitutes "support". Support is actually spending da money and attending the games. An interest in another sports rests squarely on choice and you see it across the world where smaller cities have more choice because the larger the city the harder it is for minority sports to receive media attention, but that's a totally different topic.
I have an interest in some other sports and actually play some as well but that means zip overall.

As it is, I have met several rugby league fans who detest Australian Football.

So have I and it's only rugby league fans. I have asked them "how do you hate a sport?". The simple answer is jealously. Rugby league fans are jealous of the success of Australian Football and somehow have this confused with the Melbourne/Sydney rivalry. It used to stump these opinionated fans when I would say "well I'm not from Melbourne and I like Australian Football."
I am indifferent to many sports. I do not hate any sport - I simply ignore any sport that doesn't interest me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back