A Third Team In Sydney - It's Only a Matter Of Time !!

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Please provide the links to back up your claim

Nothing out of head office which is smart. They'll do whatever they can to save all the teams, but that's a long way off knowing and even the most ardent fan would have to admit some teams are in trouble. Loads of opinion pieces and we know what they say about those. The latest here.

Sport as we know it will change/has changed for ever. A 3rd Sydney team is 20 years further down the track than it was a week or so ago and in that regard this thread is just about pointless.

With NRL I would suggest that the islander participation in the NRL (about 50%?) is having detrimental effects.
Non-islanders are being "scared off" for want of a better expression.
if you're not a heavy set kid then AFL and soccer might appear as more attractive and worthwhile.

This is definitely a big issue for rugby league, some of the boys are turning up to play in an U/15 competition with a beard and driving a car.

Well not really …. but you get the gist of it, a 13-14yo lad of islander totally dwarfs the anglo boys who are virtually a bag of bones.

Are there any viable ones though? Canberra won't get a team because they're propping up GWS at the moment, and Newcastle barely cares about AFL (and doesn't have a quality oval ground). I guess they could try a few games in Auckland if they build that new cricket ground.

There is no reason why Canberra cannot have an AFL team. As the Giants continue to grow (and they will), then they will be able to cut out the Canberra connection without any downside and a new entity can fill the void with games played there every fortnight.

Any city that can produce the likes of Jezza deserves their own club.

A 3rd Sydney team is 20 years further down the track than it was a week or so ago and in that regard this thread is just about pointless.

That is your opinion with conventional thinking.
A re-structured AFL, a decimated NRL, a population more open to working together, a press desperate for good news - you never know.
People said they'd never be a Sydney AFL team. Now there are two and the hard work has been done.

Last edited:
PLENTY of articles on the NRL shrinking to 12 teams. Surely you'd be up to date on that.

So nobody from the ARL then

If I were the AFL, I would start laying the groundwork for a far western team in Sydney.

The way Sydney is growing, GWS are now located more central than western. The future government plan for Sydney is a "Metropolis of three cities", with the Eastern Harbour City based out of the CBD, the Central River City centred on "Greater Parramatta and the Olympic Peninsula" and Western Parkland City centred out of the new Western Sydney Aerotropolis.

vision_map.jpg

The Swans and Giants already have the centre and east covered, so the far west makes most sense to me.

Sydney is at least another 20 years away from another AFL team, but the Aerotropolis CBD is being built from scratch, so this is the perfect opportunity to get in early and ensure AFL infrastructure is at the beginning of the new development. The city will connect Penrith, Liverpool and Campbelltown, bringing 1.5m (projected population in 2056) within 30 minutes of the new CBD and a potential new AFL team.

Last edited:

Nothing out of head office which is smart. They'll do whatever they can to save all the teams, but that's a long way off knowing and even the most ardent fan would have to admit some teams are in trouble. Loads of opinion pieces and we know what they say about those. The latest here.

Sport as we know it will change/has changed for ever. A 3rd Sydney team is 20 years further down the track than it was a week or so ago and in that regard this thread is just about pointless.

I'm going to have to disagree with you on how far along a 3rd Sydney team is due to the fact that with most major codes probably on their deathbeds because of this, the AFL would have the opportunity to make serious inroads within a decade. I know the finances won't be there for a long time but I could see NSW3 FC existing by 2040 if and when other major leagues fall on their swords.

I'm going to have to disagree with you on how far along a 3rd Sydney team is due to the fact that with most major codes probably on their deathbeds because of this, the AFL would have the opportunity to make serious inroads within a decade.

I'm not completely happy with that statement in it's entirety, but I do believe Australian Football (rather than the AFL)
will continue to expand due to momentum of the earlier work undertaken by the AFL.

I know the finances won't be there for a long time but I could see NSW3 FC existing by 2040 if and when other major leagues fall on their swords.

I believe Australian Football will continue to develop and expand regardless of the situation in other codes.
People are attracted to Australian Football because it is an attractive game to play and watch by all peoples.
Fans could be lost if the elite body is perceived to be not doing "the right thing".
Rugby league fans are still upset over super league, for an example.
I also believe, that after this is all over, there will be a huge desire to rebuild and to look to positives.
In that respect, any media that returns to the negativity of the "code wars" will be lost.
The media in Sydney has been slowly recognising the contribution of AFL in Sydney
and I see that accelerating after this crisis is over.

I'm not completely happy with that statement in it's entirety, but I do believe Australian Football (rather than the AFL)
will continue to expand due to momentum of the earlier work undertaken by the AFL.

My statement is certainly controversial and I don't expect everyone to agree with it but no other code or league has the potential to bounce back with minimal scarring like the AFL does in this country. I also agree that natural momentum from earlier work will push growth of the sport up north but this will only accelerate it like gas to a flame.

And it's not like the other leagues were bastions of financial stability anyway. Remember that just last year, NRL was told by the TV networks to cull clubs in Sydney and most NRL clubs aside from a seldom few are always teetering on the brink of collapse. Super Rugby have been culling teams all over the world for years now and Japan were going to fold their side this season. The A-League have shrunk significantly since the beginning of the decade and even WSW and their hype died down and a number of their clubs aren't safe from financial ruin.

There's going to be a lot of pain coming for League, Union and Soccer over the next 10 years and really the AFL will be the big beneficiaries from it. I sincerely believe we'll see a third NSW side by 2045 at the latest and I would assume the same can be said for a Canberra team too (which should have happened 25 years ago).

There's going to be a lot of pain coming for League, Union and Soccer over the next 10 years and really the AFL will be the big beneficiaries from it.

The problem I have with this statement is w.r.t. AFL. The AFL is a huge industry with reserves and a lot of fat to trim - yes,
but Australian Football consists of AFL, semi-pro and amateurs. Second tier and semi-pro leagues will be decimated.
This will be the same for all second tier and semi-pro leagues.
Undoubtedly R.A. are going to have to invent a new model more nationally based.
Soccer, really has not that much to lose and can easily rebuild.
NRL - you said it not me...............
I would use the word "opportunity" rather than "beneficiaries".

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Th Australian 30.3

"The AFL has secured the cash that it hopes will help it survive the coronavirus crisis" ie a c. up to $600m line of credit, at low interest rates, with DS offered as collateral.

Most experts are predicting the $200m pa (not including player wages) spent on club Football Departments will be HEAVILY slashed- with a similar reduction in AFL grants to the 18 club. Along with other probable $ cuts in other areas (including reducing List sizes to c. 35, on a permanent basis), this will strengthen the game's finances.

Last edited:
1. G. McLachlan said Club Football departments (not including player wages) will be cut permanently from $9.4m pa to $6.4m pa from 2021.
This is a total saving of $54m pa (& will almost certainly activate a similar AFL reduction of $54m pa to the 18 AFL clubs).

2. Jonothan Brown said "It's inevitable List Sizes will be cut...(from) about 45 players per club...cut back to 30 or 35".

J. Kennedy (WCFC) said "The years after, are going to be hard to get back up to what the AFL was. They might cut List sizes".

WWOS 31.3

"...touted cuts to List sizes from about 45 to 30 or 35".

K. Cornes said "Lists are going to come down. You (referring to C.Wilson- my words) have said Lists are going to be reduced to 35".

Ch. 9 Footy Classified 24.3

Both E. McGuire & M. Lloyd said it is very likely List sizes will be permanently reduced to about 35 players next year. C. Wilson also agreed with them that " the finances of the AFL industry have changed forever, everyone has to cut costs".

3. These permanent cuts to the bloated, unnecessarily large, & overpaid (not including player wages) Club Football Departments (plus additional permanent cuts in other areas of all the Clubs- excluding medical & rehab. staff; & cuts at the overpaid staff at AFL HQ also) will make it easier for new, small expansion clubs to be added to the AFL.

4. Therefore, a 3rd team in Sydney (which will only happen after GWS regularly has lockout crowds) will cost much less to operate. It will be easier to become financially viable & competitive; & less onerous for the AFL to fund it.

There are in 2019 c. 20,000 official regd. jnr club players in Sydney (which includes Club Auskick players 5 y.o - 8y.o.).
Sydney has recently been experiencing significant growth in GR Club nos., & this is almost certain to continue- because the biggest growth is in Club Auskick 5 y.o.-8 y.o., & U9, U10 & U11 nos.

AF Club C'tees well know (from all GR AF jnr Club experience), when predicting future Club growth from their 5 y.o.-11 y.o. strongly increasing nos., that total club nos. (ie to U17) double c. every 10 years.

In Sydney c. 2030, therefore, there will be approx. 35-40,000 jnr club regd. players in all parts of Sydney. Most will probably be in the NW, NS, ES, inner WS, & inner SS.
Primary & secondary school (govt. & private) AF competition regd. players in Sydney are also experiencing significant growth (not included in the 20,000 above). This growth is also almost certain to continue.

The ACT is also experiencing significant AF jnr Club, & school competition, growth.

With these large nos. of AF players, some time after 2030, the AFL will probably need to give strong consideration to adding a 3rd team in Sydney- or, more likely, a combined South Sydney Canberra team.

Last edited:
All these permanent cuts to the bloated, unnecessarily large, & overpaid (not including player wages) Club Football Departments (plus additional permanent cuts in other areas of all the Clubs- excluding medical & rehab. staff, & cuts at the overpaid staff at AFL HQ also) will make it easier for new, small expansion clubs to be added to the AFL.

This the crux of the matter.
The AFL has expanded greatly with consistent growth over the decades and what do we have to show for that?
The game of AFL has become much more intense and arguably less of a spectacle.
Most people erroneously put this degradation down to the "dilution of skill" whereas the reason is the exact opposite.
The increase in skill, especially defensive skills through coaching has led to a compaction in the skills spectrum.
Before the AFL, the WAFL was much more of a spectacle mainly because natural champions stood out from other players.
Today, we have natural champions but they surrounded by "trained champions".
Today, like the wages spiral in the VFL that led to the formation of the AFL,
we have the technology spiral that has led budget blowouts.

Removing much of football staff and football lists will greatly improve budgets and could even lead to a more even playing field.
It could even lead to more attractive football as players will have to think for themselves more, as one coach said.
This will definitely benefit the struggling clubs more than the rich and will act similar to the draft in equalisation measures.

These changes, in the long run, if kept in place will greatly aid AFL clubs and aid the introduction of new clubs.
If the AFL had added football department caps to salary caps then the AFL and the AFL clubs would have been all better off
today and in a better position.
But like seat belts, gun laws, alcohol limits etc it is extremely difficult to get people or groups to protect themselves from themselves.

Last edited:
3rd team in Sydney put back 10 years by the virus.

Superficially that would appear so but

Money for establishment isn't there but the groundwork has already been done.
The new AFL club model should be much leaner and much cheaper to run.
No need for a new stadium.
The expansion model has shown that media underwriting works.
It's apparent there could be a sports vacuum in Sydney for a while and that would be an opportunity for AFL to fill.

Pressure gotta be on gws funding in current climate. If foxtel falls it could be good night.

GWS is in a better position that most NRL clubs.

Yes. It certainly would be goodnight to the NRL.
Gws is totally reliant on league for existence. Where will afl come up with 25 million a year they take to fund?

Which is true for all AFL clubs.
NRL clubs rely on more so that they are much more in danger from going under than GWS.
You'd have to say if the GWS goes under so will the whole NRL.
Other clubs have members & rusted on support. Gws is a plastic team propped up by afl. If afl under pressure to save money look out. Established afl / NRL teams bring TV viewers - gws just costs money.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back