A Third Team In Sydney - It's Only a Matter Of Time !!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 20, 2002
Mosman Village
AFL Club
Carlton
THE AFL is taunting rival footy codes by erecting free goalposts in a staggering 100 schools throughout Sydney and regional NSW.

It has left the NRL, ARU and FFA deeply concerned.

With cash, ambition and resources, the AFL continues to push deep into the rugby league and rugby union heartlands. Parents have noticed the AFL posts popping up around NSW.

The success of Sydney Swans and GWS Giants has further enhanced the AFL’s product and brand throughout Sydney and NSW.

http://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/ri...w/news-story/615fbffa9db9030760c17032b6e16930

Swans south of the harbour, Giants the greater west and a new team called "North Shore" or "North Sydney" to take over north of the harbour.

Topkent

Confirmed ITK Drafting King
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
Ones a nrl state
The other two aren't.

Add in the Union followers as well.

As for the figures, Perth's population is nearly 2 million (1.8 to be precise) these days so unless there's only 200K people in Adelaide the bottom total doesn't quite add up either.

Add in the Union followers as well.

As for the figures, Perth's population is nearly 2 million (1.8 to be precise) these days so unless there's only 200K people in Adelaide the bottom total doesn't quite add up either.

I'm in adelaide
I know it's bad, boring and slow, but there's a few of us here lol

Need third WA and SA teams first, maybe a few Melbourne teams to be moved..

Scarborough Saints and Kangarilla Kangaroos anyone?

Mandurah Magpies has a nice ring to it, would suit the local population as well ;)

Badesumofu

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 15, 2008
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Roger Federer
Sydney - 4,500,00 population
Perth & Adelaide - 2,000,000 combined population

And yet I would bet that there are more AFL lovers in SA alone than there are in NSW. GWS who are highly successful on field are drawing home crowds that are in many cases lower than what fly in, fly out teams are managing in Tasmania. I would say that a third NSW team is pretty low on the priority list at this stage.

Barry_Badrinath

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 23, 2011
Bathing in Premiership Glory
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Grand Finals at the Gabba
We need to gurarentee GWS are successful to help grow the game up north as this will create a bigger talent pool for the entire league. Then in 20-30 years time when the game has grown in the northern markets we can add another Sydney team, and give them enough concessions to guarantee them multiple premierships so we can build up an even bigger market share.

Jul 19, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Atlanta Falcons/Winnipeg Jets
A 3rd team in Sydney whilst at least 10 years away makes more sense than Perth and Adelaide unless they suddenly have a huge population spike.

The AFL wants to grow the game and what better way than getting all the people that don't currently follow to get interested.

There is much more to gain from gaining the bigger market of Sydney that is not into football yet than there is in growing the smaller Perth and Adelaide markets that are already following football.

Aug 27, 2007
Block 108 as loud as any
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Everton_East Freo_Atalanta_Tranmere
I'm in adelaide
I know it's bad, boring and slow, but there's a few of us here lol

Union? I always found it odd Adelaide/SA was overlooked for Union. Hope you guys get a team in the NRC at least

How big is the following over there? Youth participation etc.

Sydney - 4,500,00 population
Perth & Adelaide - 2,000,000 combined population
Where did you get your population data from? Perth's population in 2014 was an estimated 2.02M, and Adelaide's - 1.35M, so that's a combined 3.37M.

Back to the OP, I'd have thought let's wait and see what long term traction GWS gets. We don't want it ending up like a Brisbane

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back