A Third Team In Sydney - It's Only a Matter Of Time !!

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 3, 2003
Warriorville
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
NZ Warriors, Wallan FNC
Just pointing out that 'non guilty' doesn't mean 'proven innocent'. It just means it could be proven 'beyond a reasonable doubt'.

Yea, thanks for that. Wrong choice of words. My original comment still stands.

MW Zoo

Senior List
Feb 12, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I don't think that's entirely true. If you go there and hang s**t on the game, then you'll rightly cop it, but if you went with a genuine interest in both sports, then you'd be fine. I stopped going there simply because it's far too personal even amongst the RL folks.

Thats rubbish. The AFL subforum there is dead except for the occasions troglodytes from the Fight Club get bored. If you have admitted to liking AFL but are trying to partake in a conversation on the NRL board you'll be howled down quickly. Storm supporters who admit to liking both codes don't get very far at all.

Sep 24, 2006
Wimmera
AFL Club
Collingwood
Sydney has outgrown the traditional Sydney basin...
No it hasn't. There's still rural areas in the basin … even room for a new airport.
… Ummm That's because it's a big city. It is not separate contiguous urban zone. There are no rural areas between Sydney and Newcastle...
Hahaha. Not even you can believe this made up balderdash. In fact, driving to the Central Coast, there's 32 kilometres of forested bushland from Berowra, being the last tip of Sydney suburbia (and itself on the end of a very skinny 9km finger of suburbia protruding into the forest) until the Gosford turn-off leading to the quite separate (and thus non-contiguous) Central Coast City (which is recognised as a regional city by the NSW Government). In contrast, there is only an 18 kilometre gap between the Werribee and Lara turnoffs that mark the current edge of the Melbourne and Geelong suburban limits respectively, with Avalon Airport in between.

As for your ludicrous statement about there being no rural gap to Newcastle (the drive is mostly through rural country) the rural gap between Melbourne and Ballarat and/or Bendigo is greater than from Sydney to Newcastle.
People living in the central coast and Lake Macquarie areas largely work in the Sydney basin
More gibberish. In fact it's only 7% commuting (as per the article quoting the ABS).

As the article also says - "...Tim Williams, the chief executive of business lobby group the Committee for Sydney, says Sydneysiders themselves aren't too sure if the Central Coast is part of the city. "Sometimes we seem to include it and sometime we don't," he said. "I worry that we do include it sometimes to boost the numbers." The scope of the powerful Greater Sydney Commission set up recently by the NSW government to "coordinate and align" the planning is also telling. It doesn't include the Central Coast.

No matter where you think Greater Sydney's boundaries should be drawn, this comparison draws attention to a striking demographic trend - Melbourne's burgeoning growth. The population of the Victorian capital grew by nearly a million people during the past decade - almost 200,000 more than Sydney added in the same period. That rapid growth has been driven by a stream of arrivals from other Australian states, including NSW, as well as net overseas migration. Melbourne is on track to become the nation's biggest city, regardless of whether the Central Coast is used to bolster the numbers for Greater Sydney.

https://www.smh.com.au/opinion/is-melbourne-already-bigger-than-sydney-20170922-gyn2k4.html

Isaac Cumming No 1

Cancelled
10k Posts
Mar 28, 2018
AFL Club
GWS
No it hasn't. There's still rural areas in the basin … even room for a new airport.
Hahaha. Not even you can believe this made up balderdash. In fact, driving to the Central Coast, there's 32 kilometres of forested bushland from Berowra, being the last tip of Sydney suburbia (and itself on the end of a very skinny 9km finger of suburbia protruding into the forest) until the Gosford turn-off leading to the quite separate (and thus non-contiguous) Central Coast City (which is recognised as a regional city by the NSW Government). In contrast, there is only an 18 kilometre gap between the Werribee and Lara turnoffs that mark the current edge of the Melbourne and Geelong suburban limits respectively, with Avalon Airport in between.

As for your ludicrous statement about there being no rural gap to Newcastle (the drive is mostly through rural country) the rural gap between Melbourne and Ballarat and/or Bendigo is greater than from Sydney to Newcastle.
More gibberish. In fact it's only 7% commuting (as per the article quoting the ABS).

As the article also says - "...Tim Williams, the chief executive of business lobby group the Committee for Sydney, says Sydneysiders themselves aren't too sure if the Central Coast is part of the city. "Sometimes we seem to include it and sometime we don't," he said. "I worry that we do include it sometimes to boost the numbers." The scope of the powerful Greater Sydney Commission set up recently by the NSW government to "coordinate and align" the planning is also telling. It doesn't include the Central Coast.

No matter where you think Greater Sydney's boundaries should be drawn, this comparison draws attention to a striking demographic trend - Melbourne's burgeoning growth. The population of the Victorian capital grew by nearly a million people during the past decade - almost 200,000 more than Sydney added in the same period. That rapid growth has been driven by a stream of arrivals from other Australian states, including NSW, as well as net overseas migration. Melbourne is on track to become the nation's biggest city, regardless of whether the Central Coast is used to bolster the numbers for Greater Sydney.

https://www.smh.com.au/opinion/is-melbourne-already-bigger-than-sydney-20170922-gyn2k4.html
You make the mistake of thinking that insults and letters typed show the strength of your argument.

I prefer the short rebuttal, so I'll state the obvious. Your post is incoherent nonsense.

Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS

You do realise Sydneysiders dont care if we are the most populated city or not.

Seems only some of those from Melbourne have a hard on for it.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

BringBackTorps

Club Legend
Jan 5, 2017
AFL Club
GWS
It is telling that the SMH, & other Sydney MSM, are now writing articles about the growth of school girl AF in Sydney schools.

Abbotsleigh Sports' Co-Ordinator, M. Everingham, has said
"A sport like AFL has been waiting to come along. The girls are looking forward to running around a little bit more, and from the get-go they've been looking forward to tackling. They're definitely not shy to get stuck into it".

A year 8 AF female student said, rather humourously & intriguingly
"I used to just wrestle with my brother a lot, but now I can tackle my friends".

Also, "Abbotsleigh AFL coach, B. Carlyon, said he thought the game would be huge for the girls in coming years, particularly with the emphasis on skill development".

(This comment reflects other comments by most female AF players, previously, on AF skills. Females usually say a big attraction of AF is its very complex skill requirements-having to use both HANDS and FEET, and having to use both LEFT and RIGHT hands/feet for handballing and kicking).

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/afl/af...male-participation-jumps-20190207-p50we6.html

Last edited:

Seedsfan

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 10, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
http://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/ri...w/news-story/615fbffa9db9030760c17032b6e16930

Swans south of the harbour, Giants the greater west and a new team called "North Shore" or "North Sydney" to take over north of the harbour.
Don’t mind the vision but maybe they should make a North Sydney team for the Neafl first. Pump money through it and let it develop the game in the region and when it is ready promote the team to the AFL.

It could be good if they all played games out of secondary markets as well. So North Sydney play a few games a year in Newy, Sydney in Wollongong and GWS in Canberra

Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
Don’t mind the vision but maybe they should make a North Sydney team for the Neafl first. Pump money through it and let it develop the game in the region and when it is ready promote the team to the AFL.

It could be good if they all played games out of secondary markets as well. So North Sydney play a few games a year in Newy, Sydney in Wollongong and GWS in Canberra
That's an idea I can get behind.

Have a team playing out of North Sydney oval for a few years in NEAFL.

Seedsfan

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 10, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
That's an idea I can get behind.

Have a team playing out of North Sydney oval for a few years in NEAFL.

Especially with the chance of Manly getting relocated, we should look to start funding a junior academy in the region and a NEAFL let them grow the sport and then when the game is ready make them a AFL side. If they never eventuate as an AFL side we are still left with a great elite talent pathway in NSW

Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
Especially with the chance of Manly getting relocated, we should look to start funding a junior academy in the region and a NEAFL let them grow the sport and then when the game is ready make them a AFL side. If they never eventuate as an AFL side we are still left with a great elite talent pathway in NSW
I've stated elsewhere that while I think less League teams in Sydney is necessary, the last time it happened the Swans went from the least popular professional club in town to the most popular.

If they start a North Sydney team in the NEAFL out of the Oval and have them playing in that getting all the academies and setup right then it'll help in the long run.

Especially if Sydney knock off manly, Cronulla and my tigers(or move them).

We should of had a 2nd Sydney team The last time League self imploded in 96.

Seedsfan

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 10, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
I've stated elsewhere that while I think less League teams in Sydney is necessary, the last time it happened the Swans went from the least popular professional club in town to the most popular.

If they start a North Sydney team in the NEAFL out of the Oval and have them playing in that getting all the academies and setup right then it'll help in the long run.

Especially if Sydney knock off manly, Cronulla and my tigers(or move them).

We should of had a 2nd Sydney team The last time League self imploded in 96.

As much as people don’t like it Sydney is where the 19th team should be and we should learn from the mistakes of the Gold Coast when looking to set up the team.

The invent of the Gold Coast and the added money spent on junior development has seen the amount of kids involved in the game skyrocket. But that’s not really going to flow on to bigger crowds membership or support until those team kids become adults and have money to spend.

With the talk of Manly being moved it should be a sign to the AFL to start spending money growing the game in that area. There are 4 Shute Shield clubs on the North shore that have good community level support and despite not being top flight professional club. I understand the union landscape is vastly different to Aussie rules and Leauge but as an outsider it tells me that there is a community there that wants to support a team that represents them.

Also not only is there the potential disillusionment with Manly fans but there are already a lot of old North Sydney Bears fans that have been disillusioned with rugby league

Last edited:

Rabman

Club Legend
Nov 22, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
North Adelaide, Arsenal.
North shore bombers have been based in the northern area of sydney since 1903, makes sense to promote them the NEAFL and give them resources to further grow the game in that area.

Seedsfan

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 10, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
North shore bombers have been based in the northern area of sydney since 1903, makes sense to promote them the NEAFL and give them resources to further grow the game in that area.
Makes sense they have history and a community behind them. They will probably have to revert back to there original nickname of the Bears as long run if they were to come into the league as the Bombers it would be probabematic

Aussie in exile

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 21, 2013
AFL Club
Melbourne
Offsiders and the DT hanging s**t on RL. No great surprise there. Absolutely shocked to see the HS put up a positive article on the game today.
My wife comes from Sydney and her family and friends regard offsiders no more that a AFL love in.
They say offsiders has zero credit with Rugby League people and a vast majority of Sydney people in general.

abcde12345

Team Captain
May 15, 2018
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
GWS
Given the giants’ financial issues would a third side be viable even?

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-2019-gws-giants-handouts-from-afl-revealed-in-asic-documents/news-story/3d2422bfe6272fb87f37376f8e56d63

Surely get that house in order first?

I don't think we will be looking at a new AFL team in Sydney for 20-30 years. Enough time to let the Giant's generational support start to tick over. At that point if GWS and the Swans are in a good spot though I would definitely expect another team, either North of the harbour or in the South West.

I'd hope though with all this talk of NRL relocation and consolidation the AFL is absolutely ready to pull the trigger on lobbying for grassroots facilities in any location which is "abandoned" by the NRL, preferably alongside cricket to add even more weight to the discussion. Considering the issues across Sydney with turning away juniors due to lack of facilities, I think this all could become a big bargaining chip.

Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
I don't think we will be looking at a new AFL team in Sydney for 20-30 years. Enough time to let the Giant's generational support start to tick over. At that point if GWS and the Swans are in a good spot though I would definitely expect another team, either North of the harbour or in the South West.

I'd hope though with all this talk of NRL relocation and consolidation the AFL is absolutely ready to pull the trigger on lobbying for grassroots facilities in any location which is "abandoned" by the NRL, preferably alongside cricket to add even more weight to the discussion. Considering the issues across Sydney with turning away juniors due to lack of facilities, I think this all could become a big bargaining chip.

* NSW cricket
They screwed us with Blacktown.

abcde12345

Team Captain
May 15, 2018
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
GWS
**** NSW cricket
They screwed us with Blacktown.

I don't know much about the situation with NSW Cricket and Blacktown, but I think it will be a much easier sell for grassroots facilities if AFL and Cricket can push together.

As long as the AFL is pushing hard to expand the facilities so kids that want to can play footy, then I'm not particularly fussed in the way it happens. The shortage of suitable grounds for the juniors in Sydney is something the AFL should be going hard at to try and address imo.

May 3, 2003
Warriorville
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
NZ Warriors, Wallan FNC
My wife comes from Sydney and her family and friends regard offsiders no more that a AFL love in.
They say offsiders has zero credit with Rugby League people and a vast majority of Sydney people in general.

I haven't watched it for a while and there's really no point. I find Underwood a bit boring, hard to listen to and terribly biased. I can see why Rugby code supporters wouldn't watch the show.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back