A Third Team In Sydney - It's Only a Matter Of Time !!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aussie in exile

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 21, 2013
AFL Club
Melbourne
I've stated elsewhere that while I think less League teams in Sydney is necessary, the last time it happened the Swans went from the least popular professional club in town to the most popular.

If they start a North Sydney team in the NEAFL out of the Oval and have them playing in that getting all the academies and setup right then it'll help in the long run.

Especially if Sydney knock off manly, Cronulla and my tigers(or move them).

We should of had a 2nd Sydney team The last time League self imploded in 96.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
I think the main reason Rugby League imploded in 96 was more to do with the Super League than anything else, but I'm sure others think differently.

Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
Yep I'm sure the Blacktown cricket mad mayor thinks that.

The facts are we weren't allowed to train full time at Blacktown.
For a professional club this is a major factor.we also have most of our womens games there as well as NEAFL.

Also the agreed soon monies to develop BISP into a major facility fell through due to NSW cricket.

Hardly abandoned. the flog made it impossible to stay.

Fat arsed piece of s**t that he was, and still is.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Aussie in exile

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 21, 2013
AFL Club
Melbourne
Are your "wife's" "friends and family" in Sydney keeping a register of articles about the big bad AFL?

How did they feel about a Swans home game tripping the attendance at a NRL Sydney derby on Friday? I reckon that would have been gutting
I have a foot in both camps when it comes to AFL and NRL so unlike you i see both points of view.
I have 2 brother in laws who played in the NSWRL before it became the NRL
Unlike you I'm not blinkered when it come to faults with both codes.
In your opinion why do you think AFL has no professional club out of Australia?.

NoobPie

Cancelled
Sep 21, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
I have a foot in both camps when it comes to AFL and NRL so unlike you i see both points of view.
I have 2 brother in laws who played in the NSWRL before it became the NRL
Unlike you I'm not blinkered when it come to faults with both codes.
In your opinion why do you think AFL has no professional club out of Australia?.

Uuum, because its Australia's national game - a country overwhelmingly of inward migration since the game was invented here 160 years ago

There were actually no amateur clubs outside of Australasia as little as 30 odd years ago.

Why would their be professional clubs outside of Australia? Is this a bad thing?

Aussie in exile

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 21, 2013
AFL Club
Melbourne
Uuum, because its Australia's national game - a country overwhelmingly of inward migration since the game was invented here 160 years ago

There were actually no amateur clubs outside of Australasia as little as 30 odd years ago.

Why would their be professional clubs outside of Australia? Is this a bad thing?
I would say Cricket is our national game.
30 odd years ago there were Australia football teams in England and Australia.
Never forget we was in Qld and NSW before Rugby League and they are Rugby League states now.

Sep 24, 2006
Wimmera
AFL Club
Collingwood
I would say Cricket is our national game...
It once was but I would say, based on attendances, participation and active support, cricket has clearly been overtaken by our game over the last 20 years. There are now more participants all over the country, including even NSW and Qld, which has seen tremendous growth and can now boast around 70 AFL listed players and growing year by year. And apart from cricket, there's no other rival in sight.

… 30 odd years ago there were Australia football teams in England and Australia. …
Not sure that a few mainly social teams made up mostly by ex-pats has any relevance.
… Never forget we was in Qld and NSW before Rugby League and they are Rugby League states now.
But not before its parent game of rugby union (from which rugby league split from), which at the time, thanks mainly to pro-British sentiment in the public schools in NSW/Qld, became established first to the exclusion of the Australian game. It's now great to see our game flourishing so much at grass roots levels in both states.

In regards to "Offsiders", it's good that your wife’s family and friends are such avid viewers of a show which apparently annoys them so much, though why I don’t know. I guess they must at least enjoy the OOTP NRL cheerleading of one regular, old Roy Masters - though even he found the NRL scandals over off-season indefensible. I just wonder if old Roy again makes mention of TV ratings (his favourite topic) given that, apart from attendances as always, the AFL in the first 2 weeks of its season has given the NRL an absolute shellacking in the ratings.

NoobPie

Cancelled
Sep 21, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
I would say Cricket is our national game.

Of course you would! But by most criteria Australian football is (unless you put massive weight on the evenness of the distribution of interest)

30 odd years ago there were Australia football teams in England and Australia.

30 odd years ago the first Australian football teams were being formed in places like England and elsewhere. There was nothing before. Why would there be professional clubs there now? But how is this related to anything?

Never forget we was in Qld and NSW before Rugby League and they are Rugby League states now.

Was "we"?

Rugby was always the dominant football code in NSW and QLD. Rugby League split in Australia in 1908 and made the then relatively minor changes that the Northern Union had adapted in England. It was hardly a foreign game that entered and displaced all before it.

True. New Zealand had amateur clubs before the 1890's, but the recession in Oz saw a lot of Aussies go to NZ to find work and the game grew rapidly.

NZ were part of the Australasian Football Council formed in 1908 for the 50th anniversary of the game, and they played in the 1908 national carnival. NZ beat both NSW and Qld at the carnival.

But like in NSW, the game went backwards after WWI and there was always a small contingency of players and clubs there but it became very informal over the next 50 years. I think in Christchurch in the late 1960's a league was re-established, then Wellington and Auckland followed after the next decade.

PNG - Australia took over fully from the Brits as administrators of the country after WWII, as after WWI the UK took over the German part of PNG and Oz was involved in some administration, but the game was introduced on a decent scale soon after WWII when Oz was fully responsible for its administration. PNG had a team in the old Teal Cup in the late 1970's for a couple years.

But the 1980's saw decline as Packer owned the only commercial TV station, and whilst 9 didn't have rights to NSWRL comp in the 1980's, they had rights to State of Origin and they pumped it up and RL surged. But Aussie Rules has made a bit of a come back since the mid 1990's, starting when the national team would go to Darwin and play in the Arafura games and usually do well in that. Then once the International Cup was first held in 2002, they have made all 6 GFs and won 3 and lost 3.

Everywhere else in the Pacific, Asia or Northern hemisphere its only been the last 30 years or less that amateur teams and leagues have been formed. There were a few teams in England in the 1960's and 1970's but it folded with little real capacity to grow the game.

I lived in Toronto in 1988-89 and a guy I played a bit of footy with at Adelaide Uni, had been working at Toronto Uni for 2 or 3 years, got me to play a few games of Gaelic Football and in March 1989 rang me to see if I wanted to help start up an Aussie rules league in Toronto. I said no as I was heading home in a couple of weeks time, but over the next few months a handful of ex pats and Canadians set up 4 teams I think, and had a short season in 1989 and its continued to grow. Now 30 years on is the oldest continuous Aussie Rules league in the northern hemisphere.

Last edited:

BringBackTorps

Club Legend
Jan 5, 2017
AFL Club
GWS
After 75 years, the NSWRL Manly Warringah adult RL competition has been axed last week. This is due to the long term decline in RL GR nos. in Sydney's northern suburbs. This comp. was once of a high standard, with many ex- NRL players, & many semi-professional players, in it.
The 6 remaining clubs will transfer to the NSWRL South Western Conference- as this will cause a significant increase in travel time, this transfer may imperil their longevity.

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/newslocal/manly-daily/sport/fulltime-whistle-blows-on-manly-a-grade-rugby-league-competition-after-75-years/news-story/ca90fa89cc12fbeb8ee84b5514779018

(As this is behind a paywall, can someone who can access it, provide the transcript)

Junior male GR RL is also in a long term decline in this area, & other areas of Sydney.
David Hill, former President of the NRL's North Sydney Bears (& former President of Soccer Australia), in 2012 in the RL Annual Tom Brock Lecture, outlines the decline of RL clubs, teams & players in GR RL throughout all of Sydney.

http://www.tombrock.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/tb12hillA5singlepages_PRINT.pdf

The privately-owned NRL Manly club, which attracts poor crowds & has financial problems, & whose fans are well known for their unwillingness to attend away games, is currently part of much speculation. The NRL is conducting a Review into expansion etc. c.2023- & Manly is often mentioned by the public as a likely candidate for relocation interstate or to Gosford; or to merge with a nearby NRL club.

Last edited:

NoobPie

Cancelled
Sep 21, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
After 75 years, the NSWRL Manly Warringah adult RL competition has been axed last week. This is due to the long term decline in RL GR nos. in Sydney's northern suburbs. This comp. was once of a high standard, with many ex- NRL players, & many semi-professional players, in it.
The 6 remaining clubs will transfer to the NSWRL South Western Conference- as this will cause a significant increase in travel time, this transfer may imperil their longevity.

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/newslocal/manly-daily/sport/fulltime-whistle-blows-on-manly-a-grade-rugby-league-competition-after-75-years/news-story/ca90fa89cc12fbeb8ee84b5514779018

(As this is behind a paywall, can someone who can access it, provide the transcript)

Junior male GR RL is also in a long term decline in this area, & other areas of Sydney.
David Hill, former President of the NRL's North Sydney Bears (& former President of Soccer Australia), in 2012 in the RL Annual Tom Brock Lecture, outlines the decline of RL clubs, teams & players in GR RL throughout all of Sydney.

http://www.tombrock.com.au/xiv-tom-brock-lecture-david-hill/

The privately-owned NRL Manly club, which attracts poor crowds & has financial problems, & whose fans are well known for their unwillingness to attend away games, is currently part of much speculation. The NRL is conducting a Review into expansion etc. c.2023- & Manly is often mentioned by the public as a likely candidate for relocation interstate or to Gosford; or to merge with a nearby NRL club.

That's insane. Why would they not merge with an adjacent competition? Are you sure it's not north west?

May 3, 2003
Warriorville
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
NZ Warriors, Wallan FNC
THE MANLY A grade rugby league competition was arguably the strongest in Sydney, chock full of characters and tales that became part of northern beaches sporting folklore.
In 2012 there were 22 teams playing in three A grade divisions and former NRL players like Josh Stuart, Mark Soden, Cliff Lyons, Gary Larson and Michael Vella would finish their careers in the Manly juniors.

But now rugby league is facing the real likelihood of not having a stand alone Manly/North Sydney competition for the first time in 75 years.

Only six peninsula clubs — defending premiers Narrabeen, Forestville, Cromer, Belrose, Avalon and Narraweena — have nominated to play this season with none from North Sydney.

At a NSW Rugby League meeting on Tuesday night a proposal was put forward that the northern beaches clubs play in a western Sydney conference with clubs from Parramatta, western suburbs and Canterbury.

The proposal has been sent to the northern beaches clubs for their consideration with a decision on whether

“Using the political terminology it is on a knife’s edge,” said Manly junior rugby league secretary Matt Brown.

Brown understands the current situation better than most as he was a backrower for Belrose when the A grade was a really hard competition and had two divisions

“It is disappointing and there are lots of contributing factors,” he said.

One of the big ones was the drop off in numbers in the younger age groups over the last decade was now impacting the A grade competition.

Cromer president Shane Higginbotham said the demise of the A grade competition would be very disappointing after its long history.

BringBackTorps

Club Legend
Jan 5, 2017
AFL Club
GWS
That's insane. Why would they not merge with an adjacent competition? Are you sure it's not north west?
Yes, the 6 senior northern Sydney RL clubs, who nominated to the NSWRL they wanted to continue playing in 2019, have all been transferred to the distant South West Conference. I think the reasons are in other recent Daily Telegraph articles, but they are behind paywalls. It would be appreciated if someone could provide these other DT articles.

M.Knox, SMH senior RL journalist wrote on 29.9.18:-

. "On participation, universally agreed as the game's greatest challenge, Greenberg is targetting women's rugby league and non-contact forms such as touch. But the NRL's showcase is so physically brutal that it is not its best advertisement for participation".

. quoting Greenberg "Mums and dads want to watch NRL, but might not want their kids to play it".

. when I ask him about the legacy he wants to leave, Greenberg talks about "taking the game into new markets...".

In May 2017, Phil Gould called for Greenberg's resignation- due to the NRL HQ spending large sums, unsuccessfully, on increasing GR RL male contact participation.
The NRL wanted to establish a $100 million GR fund to support GR Participation strategies (much of it in western Sydney, where soccer was a "goliath"- & GR AF also had strong growth). Gould expressed no confidence that the NRL HQ would wisely spend this $100 million (The $100 million GR Fund was later scrapped, after NRL Clubs successfully demanded more NRL Club funding from Chairman Grant/NRL HQ)

https://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/p...l/news-story/725ae6ec9c2c04300787161062b70513

The NRL has a dilemma. NRL HQ has a $1.8 billion, 2018-22 broadcast deal, & has considerable funds/made $46,000,000 profits in 2018.
Should its strategy (to expand its male contact GR market share) be to spend its considerable funds on/major focus on:-

. Sydney's North Shore & northern suburbs GR- to attempt to restore GR RL to its former health. Or

. relocate Manly to play 50%+ of its home games at the excellent Gosford stadium. The Central Coast GR are still strong. Or

. reinstate the Manly/ North Sydney Bears NRL merger, to reinvigorate the whole of northern Sydney, & Central coast (playing at 3 locations). Or

. Sydney's western suburbs, where its contact male GR are still strong, but in long term decline. "Fortify" the fortress. Or

. establish a Perth NRL and/or 2nd NZ team
(A 2nd Brisbane team would be very successful in NRL heartland. Many wealthy backers, it would be funded by these, not NRL)

Last edited:

jatz14

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 13, 2011
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth Glory W-League
Yes, the 6 senior northern Sydney RL clubs, who nominated to the NSWRL they wanted to continue playing in 2019, have all been transferred to the distant South West Conference. I think the reasons are in other recent Daily Telegraph articles, but they are behind paywalls. It would be appreciated if someone could provide these other DT articles.

M.Knox, SMH senior RL journalist wrote on 29.9.18:-

."On participation, universally agreed as the game's greatest challenge, Greenberg is targetting women's rugby league and non-contact forms such as touch. But the NRL's showcase is so physically brutal that it is not its best advertisement for participation".

.quoting Greenberg "Mums and dads want to watch NRL, but might not want their kids to play it".

. when I ask him about the legacy he wants to leave, Greenberg talks about "taking the game into new markets...".

In May 2017, Phil Gould called for Greenberg's resignation following the NRL HQ spending large sums, unsuccessfully, on GR RL contact participation increase strategies.
The NRL wanted to establish $100 million fund to support GR Participation strategies (much of it in western Sydney, where soccer was a "goliath"- & GR AF was also increasing), but Gould expressed no confidence that the NRL HQ would wisely spend this $100 million (The $100 million Fund was later scrapped, after NRL Clubs successfully demanded more NRL Club funding from Chairman Grant/NRL HQ)

https://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/p...l/news-story/725ae6ec9c2c04300787161062b70513

The NRL has a dilemma. NRL HQ has a $1.8 billion, 2018-22 broadcast deal, & has considerable funds/is making profits.
Should its strategy be, to expand its male contact GR market share, to spend its considerable funds on/major focus on:-

. Sydney's North Shore & northern suburbs GR- to attempt to restore GR RL to its former health. Or

. relocate Manly to play 50%+ of its home games at the excellent Gosford stadium. The Central Coast GR are still strong. Or

. reinstate the Manly/ North Sydney Bears NRL merger, to reinvigorate the whole of northern Sydney, & Central coast (playing at 3 locations). Or

. Sydney's western suburbs, where its contact male GR are still strong, but in long term decline. Fortify the fortress. Or

. establish a Perth NRL and/or 2nd NZ team
(A 2nd Brisbane team would be very successful in NRL heartland. Many wealthy backers, it would be funded by these, not NRL)
On league unlimited it was mentioned the number of divisions was a factor. The Manly league had absolute thrashings. By going to the comp they went to, clubs are able to find a level consistent with their abilities.

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

NoobPie

Cancelled
Sep 21, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
On league unlimited it was mentioned the number of divisions was a factor. The Manly league had absolute thrashings. By going to the comp they went to, clubs are able to find a level consistent with their abilities.

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

At the risk of code-gloating, contrast this with the problems AFL Gippsland have in dealing with the 6 clubs in south gippsland left in the Alberton Football League that cover an area whose population would barely be above 10K.

There would be significantly more people in manly / north sydney than the region AFL Gippsland covers which has 8 senior leagues mostly with 10 clubs.

May 4, 2009
Tasmania
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Furth
It once was but I would say, based on attendances, participation and active support, cricket has clearly been overtaken by our game over the last 20 years. There are now more participants all over the country, including even NSW and Qld, which has seen tremendous growth and can now boast around 70 AFL listed players and growing year by year. And apart from cricket, there's no other rival in sight.
I have never seen an Aussie PM comment on the AFL like he did when sandpaper happened. Nothing dominates discussion around Australia like a selection of a team. No sport in our history has had as much impact on us.

Cricket is and will always be our national game. It shapes us far more than any other sport. Sure, the AFL is the biggest league/code in the land but it is much more than that. Steve Waugh 100 at the SCG, World Cup triumphs, Sandpaper, ashes; these events are bigger than anything that has happened in AFL in the last 20 years. Punter, Warne, Mcgrath, Gilly are all far bigger names and heroes than any AFL footballer.

When something happens in cricket, the whole country knows about it and has an opinion. It represents all of us. Nothing comes close.

NoobPie

Cancelled
Sep 21, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
So on one side we have: Revenues, attendances, participants i.e. anything that can be measured which are all substantially in Australian football's favour

On the other side we have: Assertions from someone who hangs around big footy to talk down football and stop people making hurty comparisons with soccer

I have never seen an Aussie PM comment on the AFL like he did when sandpaper happened. Nothing dominates discussion around Australia like a selection of a team. No sport in our history has had as much impact on us.

Nonsense. As an example, where I work (office job in Melbourne with majority of employees from outside of Melbourne) 2/3rds follow the football to some degree. There are one or two people who follow some sport but not football.....on the other hand, there is as much rugby union discussion as cricket. Not a representative sample at all but it would be a similar story anywhere

In Melbourne (and I'm sure other parts of Australian football land) the AFL dominates about 9 months of the year now. Cricket probably has 2 months all up where its the main show and it does not go close to the intensity of the AFL at any point

Some of the Australia India one day matches in early March got outrated on foxtel by JLT matches

I'm sure it is a similar (though not as marked) story with the NRL in Sydney Brisbane

Absolutely absurd to claim cricket has more of an "impact".

Cricket is and will always be our national game. It shapes us far more than any other sport. Sure, the AFL is the biggest league/code in the land but it is much more than that. Steve Waugh 100 at the SCG, World Cup triumphs, Sandpaper, ashes; these events are bigger than anything that has happened in AFL in the last 20 years. Punter, Warne, Mcgrath, Gilly are all far bigger names and heroes than any AFL footballer.

Nonsense again. The biggest sporting stars in the NBA arguably play in the NBA and yet nobody would claim it is bigger than the NFL. The reason is that the notoriety is more concentrated in a smaller number individuals due to the nature of the game. This is far more the case with cricket where (slightly less so with BBL) the focus is totally concentrated in the national team - of course those players are going to have a bigger profile.

When something happens in cricket, the whole country knows about it and has an opinion. It represents all of us. Nothing comes close.

....aaand we finish up with more vapid assertions. Cricket is a popular game in Australia but it is not half as popular anywhere as Australian football is in its heartlands

BringBackTorps

Club Legend
Jan 5, 2017
AFL Club
GWS
On league unlimited it was mentioned the number of divisions was a factor. The Manly league had absolute thrashings. By going to the comp they went to, clubs are able to find a level consistent with their abilities
GR RL is in dissaray in northern Sydney.
Also, how much longer will the Penn family bankroll Manly NRL Club, what is their financial wealth? Manly is performing so badly, on and off the field.

The NRL has previously said it will not offer a financial rescue package/ bail out for any Sydney NRL club that is experiencing a financial crisis/desertion by a wealthy owner etc. -such a club would need to relocate, or merge with another nearby NRL club.

Recently, it appears Greenberg/the NRL now appear to favour a Sydney NRL Club relocation, due to the "overcrowded Sydney market", to grow its market share outside of Sydney. IF Manly was to relocate, it can be assumed the AFL would attempt to benefit from Manly's/ NRL's GR misfortune- what would it do?

https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/todd-g...dfe1-4d00-a483-2cb52c842cb9?ocid=Social-NRLFS

Last edited:
May 4, 2009
Tasmania
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Furth
So on one side we have: Revenues, attendances, participants i.e. anything that can be measured which are all substantially in Australian football's favour

On the other side we have: Assertions from someone who hangs around big footy to talk down football and stop people making hurty comparisons with soccer
And going personal again. Typical Noobpie.

Going to ignore the rest of your post, cause you are just not worth it.

NoobPie

Cancelled
Sep 21, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
And going personal again. Typical Noobpie.

Going to ignore the rest of your post, cause you are just not worth it.

Your form around here is very relevant to assessing your opinion - particular given you provided nothing by way of evidence and very little by way of (low quality) argument

You responded to a reasoned position that referred to quantitative evidence with opinion and empty assertion

You are entitled to your opinion, just not entitled to be taken seriously

May 4, 2009
Tasmania
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Furth
Your form around here is very relevant to assessing your opinion - particular given you provided nothing by way of evidence and very little by way of (low quality) argument

You responded to a reasoned position that referred to quantitative evidence with opinion and empty assertion

You are entitled to your opinion, just not entitled to be taken seriously
And going personal again. Typical Noobpie FORM

Going to ignore the rest of your post, cause your trolling is just not worth it.

NoobPie

Cancelled
Sep 21, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
And going personal again. Typical Noobpie FORM

Going to ignore the rest of your post, cause your trolling is just not worth it.

*you're

Your-belonging to or associated with a person. Eg Your self awareness levels are almost comically negligible

You're - the abbreviation of "you are". Eg. You're so blindly hypocritical it actually humours me

Either way, you've amused me. Thank you.

BringBackTorps

Club Legend
Jan 5, 2017
AFL Club
GWS
SMH journalist Roy Masters has, for decades, "specialised" in writing articles on off-field NRL and AFL developments/strategies.
In the Annual Tom Brock RL Lecture on 19.9.2018, he said:-

."W are losing to AFL, in players continuing on to play the game"

. in the next 20 years, it is probable "...the AFL is moving into Campbelltown with a GREAT (my emphasis) deal of wealth and resources" ie he is probably predicting an additional AFL side based in the Sydney's SW, or southern suburbs.

."rural NSW is under siege" ie significant GR RL decline, & growth of GR AF.

(Go to 37 mins.20 secs. - 40 mins.45 secs.)

GR AF regd. nos. are booming again in 2019 in Sydney, & throughout NSW/ACT. In 2019, GR regd. competition nos. will surpass WA.

The link below has figures for the NSW North Coast (ie north of Newcastle, not including the Newcastle/Hunter Black Diamond comps.). The North Coast was, until recent years, a very barren area for GR AF. In 2019, there will be a record 33 jnr. Club teams, in 10 Clubs- numbers have doubled since 2015. These nos. don't include kids 5-8 y.o. in Auskick, & school nos., both of which are also growing strongly.
Snr. GR nos. are also having good growth.

http://aflnorthcoast.com.au/2019/03/28/biggest-ever-junior-competition-draw-is-out/

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back