A Third Team In Sydney - It's Only a Matter Of Time !!

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedV3x

It's about time some mods started being fair
Dec 14, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
That photo brings back a lot of memories - Actually sat in that grandstand in 1969 several times.
U

The video was an incredible find to me. I posted it to some friends and they were all wowed by the footage
but more in the latter half of the 1970s. A lot of familiar profiles there. I also played briefly for the UNSW Walers.
You probably don't know who I'm referring to when I say there is a very prominent person in that video
but anybody with any association of Easts in the 1970s would be able to pick him out.

RedV3x

Dec 14, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
This footage has many East Bulldogs 'characters' but there there is one very significant element that appears early in the footage.
It's amazing that some people who are so prolific in their post and profess to know and in fact played in a certain team cannot offer any comment on some historical media.
There is a very special person in this footage that is quite prominent. Any East's people, SFL supporters of the time and many thousands of others would know this person.

He played rugby union, rugby league and Australian football.

In 1979 he captain-coached East Sydney to four Aussie Rules premierships, plus success with the Swans under 19s from 1989-1991, before becoming chairman of selectors for the Swans from 1994 to 1996.

Administration-wise, he was executive director of the powerful Sydney Uni Sports Union from 1992 to 2008, CEO of the Western Force 2008 and 2009, a consultant to the Melbourne Rebels in 2010, and recently CEO of the Rugby Union Players Association. Now he is entrenched at the Waratahs.

BringBackTorps

Club Legend
Jan 5, 2017
AFL Club
GWS
1.As per post #937 above, there has been a continuing & significant contraction in snr GR RL in Sydney. The Manly Warringah District in 2019, & previously North Sydney District, snr GR RL comps. have folded, Eastern Suburbs District long gone. Virtually all their local snr RL teams playing in the Sydney Combined Conference.

This is further information I have ascertained, but it is not confirmed. If there are errors, please provide exact details.

There are only 6 snr GR RL clubs in the North Shore & surrounding general Northern Sydney regions- an extraordinary low number, since this area covers almost 2,000,000 people.
(This does not include the small number of snr RL Clubs from this Region in the elite NSWRL Canterbury Cup- feeder to the NRL; nor Massey Cup, nor Sydney Shield lesser comps.).

Snr GR RL has now a very small footprint in the region (& male jnr GR RL & jnr GR Club RU are also in significant decline).
The strategic game development issues are:-

. Will the future contest, for contact football code participant numbers, be between RU & AF only?
. When & how will the AFL try to capitalise on the weaknesses of its competitors in the North Shore, NS, & ES?
. Will the NRL attempt a GR fightback (it now has strong funds- $40,000,000+surplus in 2018) to recover the significant ground it has lost?
. As momentum for GR AF growth is clearly now in favour of AF in the North Shore, NS, NW, ES, & inner west, will the AFL decide to devote its resources to the Sthn. suburbs & SW- where AF is very weak?

These 6 snr NS Clubs (Cromer, Narrabeen, Avalon-all Gold Division, Belrose, Narraweena, Forrestville- all Silver) have been forced to travel to western & SW Sydney- to play in the Sydney Combined Conferences Competition (which covers nearly all of Sydney). Long travelling times- will they survive?

The GR snr Combined Conference, as of Round 5, has only 10 adult male teams in Gold; 7 teams in Silver; & 10 teams in Bronze; & a total of 6 U23 teams.

2.Female junior & snr GR RL & RU are having good growth in Sydney.

3.The Sydney GR jnr & GR Snr RL comps. are now also including comps. for NON-contact tag players. This provides an artificial boost in the total no. of GR registered, official NRL "rugby league" participants.

http://websites.sportstg.com/comp_info.cgi?c=1-7901-0-528104-0&a=FIXTURE

4.Only Penrith District RL, Souths District, & Cronulla Districts now run separate District GR snr RL comps. ie all teams play in their own District only.

In 2018, there were only 9 GR snr RL teams in Canterbury, Wests, & Balmain Districts (nil St George District) Combined Conference - so 14 Parramatta District teams combined with them to create a new 2018 Combined Conference comp., to make it viable. In 2019, however, only 10 of these 14 Parramatta District teams survive.
(Again, these figures exclude the Canterbury, Massey, & Shield snr comps.)

Some Sydney jnr RL teams are also being forced into combined District comps. -due to declining RL nos., & to keep their comps. competitive for most teams.

Last edited:

NoobPie

Cancelled
Sep 21, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
:D & how did the Hawks Melbourne clash at the G go, hold the presses .... 40+ .... how many 100s of years these mobs been ...

Actually that game got 165K which is pretty solid for a saturday arvo when there is another game on at precisley the same time....

The reason the giants saints game got such a low rating was that 3 quarters of the AFL audience chose to watch that game instead. I would say it had more to do with that game being much more of a contest than the support of the teams

The Eagles ratings were low for similar reasons....the eagles probably have lower foxtel penetration as well given every game has traditionally been on FTA in perth

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
In full troll mode now which I must say I actually respect more than your incredibly cringeworthy "brother in laws are Leaguies" schtick

Shades of a couple of AFL types happy to try & put the boots in over recent years, pathetic by any measure & I agree with you calling this example of that behaviour for what it is ...... well said.

abcde12345

Team Captain
May 15, 2018
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
GWS
I'm surprised I haven't seen this linked anywhere yet (unless I've just missed it): https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/af...k=a0df2fdd9d834f771d391627b3107745-1557278771

Cricket Australia have scheduled two separate ODIs at the SCG within 2 days of each other against the same team. These are scheduled about a week or two out from the AFL season beginning (13th and 15th of March). Also note, at least up until now, the SCG hasn't used drop-in pitches to my knowledge. I can't imagine two ODIs at the same venue against the same opposition within two days of each other will draw well, especially after a full big bash season at that point at the completion of the cricket summer. Seems like it might have been more logical to offer something back to some more regional areas with these games.

It amazes me that Cricket Australia seems hellbent on fighting the AFL instead of working with them, especially in NSW. The lobbying power of Cricket and AFL combined would be significantly stronger than them individually. Particularly for cricket, which probably doesn't want to believe that it gets less people through the gates than the AFL does.

When land is at a premium in the biggest city in Australia, and the oval codes are competing against what really is the heartland of all the rectangular ground codes in Australia, the fact that things like this still happen is amazing to me. Hurts both sports IMO.

I'm surprised I haven't seen this linked anywhere yet (unless I've just missed it): https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/af...k=a0df2fdd9d834f771d391627b3107745-1557278771

Cricket Australia have scheduled two separate ODIs at the SCG within 2 days of each other against the same team. These are scheduled about a week or two out from the AFL season beginning (13th and 15th of March). Also note, at least up until now, the SCG hasn't used drop-in pitches to my knowledge. I can't imagine two ODIs at the same venue against the same opposition within two days of each other will draw well, especially after a full big bash season at that point at the completion of the cricket summer. Seems like it might have been more logical to offer something back to some more regional areas with these games.

It amazes me that Cricket Australia seems hellbent on fighting the AFL instead of working with them, especially in NSW. The lobbying power of Cricket and AFL combined would be significantly stronger than them individually. Particularly for cricket, which probably doesn't want to believe that it gets less people through the gates than the AFL does.

When land is at a premium in the biggest city in Australia, and the oval codes are competing against what really is the heartland of all the rectangular ground codes in Australia, the fact that things like this still happen is amazing to me. Hurts both sports IMO.
You forgot this bit.

Cricket Australia (CA) will host a trans-Tasman ODI series in mid-March next year, having extended the international season beyond summer after failing to change dates of a tour of India.

India rule the roost, CA have to do what they want, CA still want to make their $$$ from home games, the MCC would tell CA to get stuffed to have a game played at the MCG that late - well they probably can't because obviously they have drop in pitch dates deadline - which i don't know, but at Adelaide Oval, cricket gives up its rights on midnight 14th March - so SCG is next best option to make sure they make the $$$ missed out by having to spend longer time in India.

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1

v NZ, probably hoping to get Kiwis over the series, guessing other venues not available - if the AFL dont FIXture the Swans at home in round #1?

abcde12345

Team Captain
May 15, 2018
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
GWS
You forgot this bit.

Cricket Australia (CA) will host a trans-Tasman ODI series in mid-March next year, having extended the international season beyond summer after failing to change dates of a tour of India.

India rule the roost, CA have to do what they want, CA still want to make their $$$ from home games, the MCC would tell CA to get stuffed to have a game played at the MCG that late - well they probably can't because obviously they have drop in pitch dates deadline - which i don't know, but at Adelaide Oval, cricket gives up its rights on midnight 14th March - so SCG is next best option to make sure they make the $$$ missed out by having to spend longer time in India.

Sure. I know they got stuffed around by India.

Seems like a perfect opportunity to reward some other areas that don't get as many games though. Realistically, are they expecting strong crowds for 2 ODIs in 2 days at the same ground against the same opponent after a full summer of big bash games and test matches being played there?

You'd imagine the finances would favour closer to capacity crowds at smaller venues (Canberra, Hobart, etc.) than what they are likely to get in the second game especially. (Obviously this is speculation)

Just seems bizarre to me. AFL is growing in NSW consistently. Seems the perfect opportunity for cricket to latch on and get more favourable facilities and funding for themselves too, instead of the way they seem to currently approach it.

Sure. I know they got stuffed around by India.

Seems like a perfect opportunity to reward some other areas that don't get as many games though. Realistically, are they expecting strong crowds for 2 ODIs in 2 days at the same ground against the same opponent after a full summer of big bash games and test matches being played there?

You'd imagine the finances would favour closer to capacity crowds at smaller venues (Canberra, Hobart, etc.) than what they are likely to get in the second game especially. (Obviously this is speculation)

Just seems bizarre to me. AFL is growing in NSW consistently. Seems the perfect opportunity for cricket to latch on and get more favourable facilities and funding for themselves too, instead of the way they seem to currently approach it.
CA would be thinking 2 x 30-40k crowds at the SCG, especially if cricket fans have been "starved" of cricket because of the Indian tour. If they got the MCG they would have been happy with 1 game with a 50-60k crowd.

abcde12345

Team Captain
May 15, 2018
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
GWS
v NZ, probably hoping to get Kiwis over the series, guessing other venues not available - if the AFL dont FIXture the Swans at home in round #1?

The Swans will definitely have to start the season away, possibly two away trips? I could see two away games in Melbourne and then an away game against GWS being the "best" solution for the situation. I don't believe any grounds in their zone areas have facilities up to scratch that they could take a game to.

abcde12345

Team Captain
May 15, 2018
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
GWS
CA would be thinking 2 x 30-40k crowds at the SCG, especially if cricket fans have been "starved" of cricket because of the Indian tour. If they got the MCG they would have been happy with 1 game with a 50-60k crowd.

I would expect that is pretty ambitious. Maybe if it was different opposition, or a T20 and an ODI? Seems like two of the exact same thing in a row is unlikely to draw crowds approaching capacity. But again its obviously just speculation.

BringBackTorps

Club Legend
Jan 5, 2017
AFL Club
GWS
CA would be thinking 2 x 30-40k crowds at the SCG, especially if cricket fans have been "starved" of cricket because of the Indian tour.
G. Lyon appears to disagree with your generous estimate of these 2 SCG ODI crowds. He said today on SEN Radio, re these 2 SCG cricket ODI's, & a CA match in Tasmania on 20.3.20
"I think this is the battle of the sports...They (Cricket Australia- my words) may get an A League-like awakening" ie alluding to the big fall in ratings & crowds when the A League season overlaps the AFL season.

When it was announced that CA would extend the BBL into February, some MSM commentators (including Bill Lawry) said CA was unhappy with the AFLW being played in "cricket's summer season", & the high profile/success of the AFLW. CA, therefore, was trying to curb the success of the AFLW by denying it clear media air.
Perhaps CA wants to exercise "payback" against the AFL for playing the AFLW in summer- & the almost inevitable extension of the AFLW earlier into summer, as it expands/longer H & A season. The AFLW is becoming the great "disruptor" in Australian sport.

In 2020, the AFL starts on 20.3.20. Would it be possible/safe for AFL, NRL, Super Rugby, ALeague games to be played n the SCG just before, or just after, these 2 cricket matches on 13.3 & 15.3.20?

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2019/05...league-like-awakening-taking-on-footy-season/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back