A Third Team In Sydney - It's Only a Matter Of Time !!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
Considering the last time they killed off Sydney clubs they turned the Swans into the toast of the town.

As a Giants fan, even believing in the generational growth plan, if they are killing more?
FlatIdealisticBoaconstrictor-size_restricted.gif

BringBackTorps

Club Legend
Jan 5, 2017
AFL Club
GWS
1. In this 1.9.19 episode of the ABC's Offsiders program, Roy Masters seems agitated with respected RL expert & St George fan (and GWS fan!- horror!) John Stanley.
Stanley said, re Stephen Coniglio "...he is is a quality person, does so much work behind the scenes as well, particularly in the community...". S. Coniglio had just signed a renewed contract with GWS for 7 years, for $7,000,000- he was offered $300,000 extra pa, or $2,100,000 extra for 7 years, by other clubs to transfer.
Masters said, indignantly, re Coniglio " He believes GWS will become the most successful club, of any sport (my emphases), in Australia"!

The exchanges between Masters & Stanley are animated, & amusing.

(go to 1.9.19 episode. Then go to 22 minutes 20 seconds - 25 minutes 40 seconds mark, for their pithy exchanges)

Perhaps Stanley was referring to these types of GWS community engagement & penetration in Sydney's western suburbs

and this type of engagement: about Ali Faraj, Community Head of Engagement at GWS (Faraj was noted "...by Giants Chief Dave Matthews, who once compared Faraj's importance to the Club with star forward and Coleman Leader Jeremy Cameron").

On SEN Radio G. Whateley Program 2.9.19, sports' journalist Sam McClure said, re S. Coniglio's seemingly very unusual decision to forgo an extra $300,000 pa for 7 years, totaling $2,100,000.

" Coniglio had spent a large part of his 8 years at GWS developing its multicultural impact. This contribution was probably a large part why he decided to stay with GWS. We should not underestimate the cultural aspect of his decision...his work with Ali Faraj...".

2. Channel 9 WWOS 4.9.19

Phil Gould has made some amazing comments

" I believe licenced clubs days are numbered...the majority of clubs (NRL- my word) are trading beyond their means...are insolvent...depends on the meaning of insolvent...at the moment GWS only attracts 12,000 (average home crowd- my words)...GWS will be a JUGGERNAUT (my emphasis)...it will win a premiership in 4 to 5 years, then things change remarkably...".

I do not know what Gould means when he says

. " I believe licenced clubs days are numbered"
."GWS will be a juggernaut"
Can anyone clarify?

Some NSW NRL clubs (& jnr GR RL clubs, where male, contact nos. are in a long term, significant decline) are very heavily dependent on payments from Leagues' clubs for SURVIVAL- much more so than some AFL clubs who own pokie Clubs in Melbourne.

The comments of NRL advocates Masters (referring to Coniglio's prediction of imminent, extraordinary success by GWS), Gould & Stanley are almost "incendiary" to many RL fans & commentators- & would have attracted a very vocal, major backlash a few years ago. Although c. 7 days have elapsed, these comments, AFAIK, have not been rebuked in the RL mass media for their RL "heresies".

Last edited:

Johnny Bananas

Premiership Player Hater
Sep 10, 2010
Next door
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I can see four teams in Sydney one day, if they plan it right. Swans presently have the East, north and the Shire, Giants have the inner west up to Blacktown. That leaves two major areas left - Macarthur and Penrith. Macarthur is growing fast and Penrith has one of the richest NRL clubs out there (mostly from pokies, but popular even so), so there's potential for growth in both places. Macarthur is probably the more attractive location.

Ian Dunross

Premiership Player
Mar 18, 2013
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Glenelg Tigers
How quickly things change. People were literally saying western-Sydney was a bridge too far for AFL, when the club was formed.

Rabman

Club Legend
Nov 22, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
North Adelaide, Arsenal.
North Sydney is probably the next expansion area to target. Playing out of the North Sydney Oval with possibly also playing a few matches in Northern NSW (Newcastle, Central Coast). Timeline maybe 2027-2031 giving Western Sydney 15 years plus to bed down.

North sydney Oval is probably the only ground that could hold games.(at the moment)
Blacktown won't allow any fulltime clubs as it's NSW Crickets turf.

Isn't North Sydney even shorter than the scg?

Pippen94

Cancelled
Jun 12, 2019
AFL Club
Sydney
1. In this 1.9.19 episode of the ABC's Offsiders program, Roy Masters seems agitated with respected RL expert & St George fan (and GWS fan!- horror!) John Stanley.
Stanley said, re Stephen Coniglio "...he is is a quality person, does so much work behind the scenes as well, particularly in the community...". S. Coniglio had just signed a renewed contract with GWS for 7 years, for $7,000,000- he was offered $300,000 extra pa, or $2,100,000 extra for 7 years, by other clubs to transfer.
Masters said, indignantly, re Coniglio " He believes GWS will become the most successful club, of any sport (my emphases), in Australia"!

The exchanges between Masters & Stanley are animated, & amusing.

(go to 1.9.19 episode. Then go to 22 minutes 20 seconds - 25 minutes 40 seconds mark, for their pithy exchanges)

Perhaps Stanley was referring to these types of GWS community engagement & penetration in Sydney's western suburbs

and this type of engagement: about Ali Faraj, Community Head of Engagement at GWS (Faraj was noted "...by Giants Chief Dave Matthews, who once compared Faraj's importance to the Club with star forward and Coleman Leader Jeremy Cameron").

On SEN Radio G. Whateley Program 2.9.19, sports' journalist Sam McClure said, re S. Coniglio's seemingly very unusual decision to forgo an extra $300,000 pa for 7 years, totaling $2,100,000.

" Coniglio had spent a large part of his 8 years at GWS developing its multicultural impact. This contribution was probably a large part why he decided to stay with GWS. We should not underestimate the cultural aspect of his decision...his work with Ali Faraj...".

2. Channel 9 WWOS 4.9.19

Phil Gould has made some amazing comments

" I believe licenced clubs days are numbered...the majority of clubs (NRL- my word) are trading beyond their means...are insolvent...depends on the meaning of insolvent...at the moment GWS only attracts 12,000 (average home crowd- my words)...GWS will be a JUGGERNAUT (my emphasis)...it will win a premiership in 4 to 5 years, then things change remarkably...".

I do not know what Gould means when he says

. " I believe licenced clubs days are numbered"
."GWS will be a juggernaut"
Can anyone clarify?

Some NSW NRL clubs (& jnr GR RL clubs, where male, contact nos. are in a long term, significant decline) are very heavily dependent on payments from Leagues' clubs for SURVIVAL- much more so than some AFL clubs who own pokie Clubs in Melbourne.

The comments of NRL advocates Masters (referring to Coniglio's prediction of imminent, extraordinary success by GWS), Gould & Stanley are almost "incendiary" to many RL fans & commentators- & would have attracted a very vocal, major backlash a few years ago. Although c. 7 days have elapsed, these comments, AFAIK, have not been rebuked in the RL mass media for their RL "heresies".

What does NRL have to do with afl in Sydney?

Pippen94

Cancelled
Jun 12, 2019
AFL Club
Sydney
I can see four teams in Sydney one day, if they plan it right. Swans presently have the East, north and the Shire, Giants have the inner west up to Blacktown. That leaves two major areas left - Macarthur and Penrith. Macarthur is growing fast and Penrith has one of the richest NRL clubs out there (mostly from pokies, but popular even so), so there's potential for growth in both places. Macarthur is probably the more attractive location.
You don't know Sydney demographics or geography.

BringBackTorps

Club Legend
Jan 5, 2017
AFL Club
GWS
What does NRL have to do with afl in Sydney?
In Sydney & NSW since the 1880's for RU, & from 1908 for RL, their organisations/fans etc have been very hostile to the advance of AF; & (until recently) publicly disparaging about it. Now, however, many RL, RU, & soccer officials, media commentators & players are openly acknowledging the growth of AF in Sydney & NSW; & a long term decline in male GR RL & RU player nos.

I, generally, don't engage with trolls/AF bitters- but can you answer the following.

a. Why did P. Gould, above, say
."...licenced clubs days are numbered..."?
What are the long term implications of this for NSW NRL clubs? And funding for GR RL?

b. "...GWS will be a juggernaut..."?
What are the long term implications of this, in NSW/ACT, for the NRL & GR RL?

Until recently, there would have been an apoplectic RL MSM & fan backlash to Gould's "heresies"- do you agree? And why no backlash now?

c. Why have A. Johns, B. Fittler, P. Gallen (post # 1100) & P.Gould, above, expressed concerns that it would be unwise for the NRL to expand beyond 16 teams?
Do you agree with their claims that RL suffers, re ability to expand beyond 16 teams, from significant strategic weaknesses?

d. Why are P. Rothfield & P. Kent (post #1100) so vehemently opposed to any reduction of NRL club nos. in Sydney?
Is their reasoning correct?

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2002
Mosman Village
AFL Club
Carlton
Victoria (8)
Carlton
Essendon
Richmond
Collingwood
Geelong
Hawthorn
North Western Melbourne (North & Footscray merger)
Melbourne

NSW (5)
Sydney Swans
GWS
North Sydney/Northern Beaches Brickmakers
Illawarra Ibises
Central Coast Coalminers

SA (2)
Adelaide
Port Adelaide

WA (3)
WCE
Fremantle
Joondalup Junkies

QLD (3)
Brisbane
Gold Coast
Sunshine Coast Saints (St. Kilda relocation)

TAS (1)
Hobart Islanders

22 teams playing a 21-round season (ie. each other once) is the most logical & fairest way to run a national sport.

Pippen94

Cancelled
Jun 12, 2019
AFL Club
Sydney
No s**t, Sherlock. I was saying the Giants target area covers the inner West, Parramatta and Blacktown. That's why they are based in the inner west, have their reserves based at Western Sydney university and play JLT and AFLW games in Blacktown. Try reading statements a few times before responding.
But they play out of homebush, players live breakfast point & support comes from east.

Pippen94

Cancelled
Jun 12, 2019
AFL Club
Sydney
In Sydney & NSW since the 1880's for RU, & from 1908 for RL, their organisations/fans etc have been very hostile to the advance of AF; & (until recently) publicly disparaging about it. Now, however, many RL, RU, & soccer officials, media commentators & players are openly acknowledging the growth of AF in Sydney & NSW; & a long term decline in male GR RL & RU player nos.

I, generally, don't engage with trolls/AF bitters- but can you answer the following.

a. Why did P. Gould, above, say
."...licenced clubs days are numbered..."?
What are the long term implications of this for NSW NRL clubs? And funding for GR RL?

b. "...GWS will be a juggernaut..."?
What are the long term implications of this, in NSW/ACT, for the NRL & GR RL?

Until recently, there would have been an apoplectic RL MSM & fan backlash to Gould's "heresies"- do you agree? And why not now?

c. Why have A. Johns, B. Fittler, P. Gallen (post # 1100) & P.Gould, above, expressed concerns that it would be unwise for the NRL to expand beyond 16 teams?
Do you agree with their claims that RL suffers, re ability to expand beyond 16 teams, from significant strategic weaknesses?

d. Why are P. Rothfield & P. Kent (post #1100) so vehemently opposed to any reduction of NRL club nos. in Sydney?
Is their reasoning correct?
How does this impact afl?

BringBackTorps

Club Legend
Jan 5, 2017
AFL Club
GWS
Victoria (8)
Carlton
Essendon
Richmond
Collingwood
Geelong
Hawthorn
North Western Melbourne (North & Footscray merger)
Melbourne

NSW (5)
Sydney Swans
GWS
North Sydney/Northern Beaches Brickmakers
Illawarra Ibises
Central Coast Coalminers

SA (2)
Adelaide
Port Adelaide

WA (3)
WCE
Fremantle
Joondalup Junkies

QLD (3)
Brisbane
Gold Coast
Sunshine Coast Saints (St. Kilda relocation)

TAS (1)
Hobart Islanders

22 teams playing a 21-round season (ie. each other once) is the most logical & fairest way to run a national sport.
GR AF is weak in the Hunter & Central Coast, & Wollongong (but jnr & snr GR male & female nos. are growing off a small base. Newcastle/Hunter now has c. 16 adult women's teams, Wollongong now has 11 adult women's teams- both nil 4 years ago!). None of these areas is likely to have their own AFL team for c. 30-50 years. GR AF is strong on the Sunshine Coast- but the population/corporates would not be able to support a team for 50+ years.

Melb., according to the ABS, is likely to have an 8,000,000+ population by 2050. St Kilda has big crowds when it is very competitive, & is widely supported in the sthn. suburbs- neither it, nor any Melb. clubs, will ever agree to relocate or merge. St Kilda, North & Footscray, by the grossly unfair, imposed stadium deals, "procured" Docklands for the AFL.

GR AF is weak in SW & Sthn. Sydney- but is growing. Sydney, Australia's wealthiest city (with the highest prime time advertising rates & many major corporate & media HQ's) will also have a population of c. 8,000,000+ by 2050. It is TOO risky for the AFL not to have a 3rd team there.
After Tasmania joins the AFL, probably c. 2025, the 20 th team is most likely to be Sth. Sydney Canberra (Cannons or 'Burra's) based in SW Sydney- perhaps c. 2035 (with some games played in Wollongong).

Your list left out the ACT, which will have a population of c. 600,000+ by 2050. It, obviously, wields enormous political power in Australia, & deserves its own joint co-branded "Canberra" club.

Last edited:
But they play out of homebush, players live breakfast point & support comes from east.

Half of the AFL players live in Elwood. I don't think anyone gives two *s about it. Why is it an issue for gws?

abcde12345

Team Captain
May 15, 2018
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
GWS

Unless you think everything east of the Blue Mountains is "The East", then maybe you should give up the ridiculous agenda.

This stuff really isn't hard to check btw. You must be one of the most low effort trolls out there.

Team intends to represent a specific area, but doesn't even play or live there.

So I shouldn't barrack for Richmond because I grew up in Frankston and Dylan Grimes lives in Macedon?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back