A Third Team In Sydney - It's Only a Matter Of Time !!

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Is it harder to 7mate in some FTA markets?
Main channel gets by far biggest audience - networks put highest rating shows here for best advertising revenue. Since I've started following swans the majority of the club's matches moved to mate.

Main channel gets by far biggest audience - networks put highest rating shows here for best advertising revenue. Since I've started following swans the majority of the club's matches moved to mate.

So changing a channel ..... advertising is about making the bang for the buck. Applies in sport, movies, whatever. There is the short game & the long game.

Main channel gets by far biggest audience - networks put highest rating shows here for best advertising revenue.

As a guide yes, but a lot of the time it makes no sense what-so-ever especially with sports.
Currently "The Chase" is on Ch7 and 7HD and lo and behold the BBL is on 7mate.
So does "the Chase" rate better than the BBL by your theory?
I don't know. It simply doesn't make much sense to me.
I. as a logical man, would've put the BBL on 7HD to watch the cricket in HD. Isn't that logical and reasonable?

Whole lot of nothing

Negative .... quite an upgrade down South at Miranda.

Those participation number won't see an invested fan base of any reasonable number for at least a generation. It's at least a generation away before the suggestion of a 3rd syd team, the public support is just not there yet.

Public support nowhere near it in Sydney, but it was probably no where near it for a second team TBH, although the Swannies have great support around the Eastern and Northern suburbs.

In Sydney you cant expect to put another team in called SW Sydney and expect them to come to the SCG, wont work, the stadium must be much more localized.

Not only do you have to build it and they will come, but you gotta build it close in Sydney or they wont come, its not a city where people come in from the suburbs like Melbourne.

Public support nowhere near it in Sydney, but it was probably no where near it for a second team TBH, although the Swannies have great support around the Eastern and Northern suburbs.

In Sydney you cant expect to put another team in called SW Sydney and expect them to come to the SCG, wont work, the stadium must be much more localized.

Not only do you have to build it and they will come, but you gotta build it close in Sydney or they wont come, its not a city where people come in from the suburbs like Melbourne.

Just a question Les, are the footy fans up there invested like those in heartland? The reason I ask that is because of the syd fan base, unless I'm wrong aren't your rusted on fans like the bulk of us in footy states, I'd argue most of them don't know Buddy's first name and they're syd fans before footy fans.

And if syd drop away for any extended period then so will the 'enthusiasm'.

Would I be correct on that speculation?

Just a question Les, are the footy fans up there invested like those in heartland? The reason I ask that is because of the syd fan base, unless I'm wrong aren't your rusted on fans like the bulk of us in footy states, I'd argue most of them don't know Buddy's first name and they're syd fans before footy fans.

And if syd drop away for any extended period then so will the 'enthusiasm'.

Would I be correct on that speculation?

Yes they are rusted on, just less of them, although in the Swannies case probably as many as plenty of Melbourne clubs

Its like this - on boxing day the G got a fantastic crowd, that's a real part of what you would call Australiana.

In Sydney and Perth where i actually live now the beaches were choc a bloc on Boxing day (probably Adelaide as well) another great part of Australiana, i would rather go to the beach than cricket, however in Melbourne .... its not as realistic.

So moving forward we can never expect Sydney to become Melbourne, the culture still Australian is just different.

Footy is never going to be as big but there is plenty of growth left.

Yes they are rusted on, just less of them, although in the Swannies case probably as many as plenty of Melbourne clubs

Its like this - on boxing day the G got a fantastic crowd, that's a real part of what you would call Australiana.

In Sydney and Perth where i actually live now the beaches were choc a bloc on Boxing day (probably Adelaide as well) another great part of Australiana, i would rather go to the beach than cricket, however in Melbourne .... its not as realistic.

So moving forward we can never expect Sydney to become Melbourne, the culture still Australian is just different.

Footy is never going to be as big but there is plenty of growth left.

Thanks Les, as there are less (probably a minority) of the rusted on - would you think that would justify a 3rd syd team?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thanks Les, as there are less (probably a minority) of the rusted on - would you think that would justify a 3rd syd team?

I have a pretty close mate high up in the local junior footy scene in Sydney, although he knows the senior scene inside out as well.

He reckons there are around 20,000 kids playing the game in Sydney, perhaps he included Newcastle/CC as well, i don't know i didn't grill him, but for a third team IMO they need around 35/40,000, similar to what they have in Perth.

I have a pretty close mate high up in the local junior footy scene in Sydney, although he knows the senior scene inside out as well.

He reckons there are around 20,000 kids playing the game in Sydney, perhaps he included Newcastle/CC as well, i don't know i didn't grill him, but for a third team IMO they need around 35/40,000, similar to what they have in Perth.

But Perth only has 2 clubs? So what have junior numbers got to do with having an AFL club? Or if they do, what number do you need to get a club?

But Perth only has 2 clubs? So what have junior numbers got to do with having an AFL club? Or if they do, what number do you need to get a club?

Sydney is different, Perth is a closed shop conditioned to just two clubs, Sydney is not.

Maybe so, but I was trying to get some perspective on what you posted. So how do the numbers matter?

I think it reflects interest and possibly drags mum and dad in, that's the numbers i would have thought the AFL would say there is enough interest to build for a third team.

I based the Perth numbers on this..... in 2013 and has grown since then ... The West Perth District consists of 9 junior and 7 senior football clubs. Participation numbers are in excess of 4000 junior and 1000 senior footballers with an additional 20000 school children participating in district school footy programs.

9 WAFL clubs in Perth all roughly similar, WP may be one of the bigger junior district clubs but is around 5,000 juniors now.

4,000 x 9 = 36,000.

A third club in WA would probably work if done correctly, a third club in Sydney would be easier to build for a number of reasons.

Swans average more on 7 mate in Sydney than the A League gets on the ABC main channel nationally metro (ooooh that's gonna hurt....that's gonna hurt :) )

The attendances of the G.C. follow it's onfield performance. The G.C. are still attracting rl level crowds.
The GWS are steadily moving up the attendance and membership ladder.
Yes, attendances aren't flash by AFL standards but good by rl standards and thus also good in N.Z.
Full credit to gws for there on field results and the list they have built but I think you are wearing rose coloured glasses when it comes to the support gws have gotten from The Sydney market so far there almost a decade in and still average only 12,000 for home games I’m not sure how you call this steady progress I also find the 30,000 membership toltal hard to believe considering they couldn’t even sell there 17,000 member ticket allocation for the grand final I also don’t think comparing there crowds to the nrl is very relevant either all it does is show that nsw in general has never really shown up in great numbers on a regular basis for sporting events from any code

Full credit to gws for there on field results and the list they have built but I think you are wearing rose coloured glasses when it comes to the support gws have gotten from The Sydney market so far there almost a decade in and still average only 12,000 for home games I’m not sure how you call this steady progress I also find the 30,000 membership toltal hard to believe considering they couldn’t even sell there 17,000 member ticket allocation for the grand final I also don’t think comparing there crowds to the nrl is very relevant either all it does is show that nsw in general has never really shown up in great numbers on a regular basis for sporting events from any code
The membership numbers are no more inflated than any of the other clubs(besides probably the WA clubs). St Kilda for instance doesn't seem to avg 45k even with all those derbies.

We aren't the 1st club not to sell out our end in a GF either.
Pretty easy to talk it up when it's always in your home city no matter what.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back