A Third Team In Sydney - It's Only a Matter Of Time !!

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Stop trying to spin - numbers are down. You have to accept good with bad.

You club is barely getting 10k nationally. Would think you would be a bit quieter on your code war garbage.

Maybe if you spent more time watching your own sport instead of here bagging Aussie Rules things may look brighter.

1. The Sydney Harbour JFL (Sydney's NS & ES), with 497 teams (c. 10,500 jnr comp. players from U8), will, in a few years, become Australia's biggest single JFL.
When the Swans get their own AFLW team, this can be expected to turbocharge female GR AF comp. nos. in Sydney & NSW.

Currently, the biggest jnr AF League in Australia is the Yarra JFL (Melbourne inner & mid NS & ES) with 550 teams & 11,500 jnr players from U8.

2. Might as well put this here.

Never heard of this before. Two kangaroos on the oval, jumping all over the ground, whilst a match is being played!
(I have previously read, from historical sources, of 1 kangaroo invading an oval during an AF match).

Pambula v. Merimbula NSW Sapphire Coast Berrambool Oval
"Bouncing Into Round 1. Put Him Into The Ruck".

(go to facebook post 17.7- then click on video of the Kangaroos)

Is anyone aware whether this video has been shown on the MSM? It should be, as it is an iconic Australian image.

Also, look at great photos
. 30.7, 500 game Narooma player S. Jackson: warrior.
. 27.7, Kicking with the tide on Narooma Oval.

Last edited:
1. news.com 30.7.20

B. Fittler believes that Cronulla should merge with St George Illawarra; & West Tigers should merge with Penrith- since there are too many NRL teams in Sydney, & this would help in adding a 2nd Brisbane NRL side.

A. Johns believes the average standard has dropped in the NRL, as "fewer kids are playing the game now"; & he therefore wants the NRL to have a total of 12 clubs, to improve average standards.

The St George District RL has had a major decline in male snr GR RL club nos., & played in 2019 in the Sydney Combined Competition (which includes clubs from the Balmain District RL, Parramatta District RL, Western Suburbs District RL, & the handful remaining from the defunct North Sydney District RL & the defunct Manly District RL snr comps.).

Jnr male GR contact RL in the St George District RL has also had a major decline. It plays, together with other Jnr District RL comps. in the WS (also declining) in a combined junior comp (U13+)- covering a very large part of the WS.
The Penrith District JRL, Cronulla District JRL, & Sth Sydney District JRL have more healthy male nos. in their contact comps. (but are also shrinking).

2. Radio 2GB Sydney B.Fordham program 28.7

P. V'landys said, re RL legend P. Gould- who he wants to join NRL HQ

"...Phil is one of the best football brains going around..(Gould) to be able to increase participation, we should use him...I'm not afraid to use him. He will be put on special projects...".

Gould said (again) on 10.5.20, re the NRL "...I believe there will be 2 more mergers in Sydney in the next 10 years , it's unsustainable, they'll either die, or have to merge. Don't shoot the messenger...".

3. EDIT:

Daily Telegraph P. Rothfield 3.8

Rothfield said

Sydney NRL Clubs' "Poker machine funding is dying, Licenced Clubs that were once handing out $7m grants to prop up their footy teams can no longer afford it".

(go to Sports Industry tweet 3.8- then click on Daily Telegraph article).

Any significant poker machine funding cut to some Sydney RL clubs would imperil their future; & possibly reduce GR RL funding.

Last edited:
1. news.com 30.7.20

B. Fittler believes that Cronulla should merge with St George Illawarra; & West Tigers should merge with Penrith- since there are too many NRL teams in Sydney, & this would help in adding a 2nd Brisbane NRL side.

A. Johns believes the average standard has dropped in the NRL, as "fewer kids are playing the game now"; & he therefore wants the NRL to have a total of 12 clubs, to improve average standards.

2. Radio 2GB Sydney B.Fordham program 28.7

P. V'landys said, re RL legend P. Gould

"...Phil is one of the best football brains going around..(Gould) to be able to increase participation, we should use him...I'm not afraid to use him. He will be put on special projects...".

Gould said 10.5.20, re the NRL "...I believe there will be 2 more mergers in Sydney in the next 10 years , it's unsustainable, they'll either die, or have to merge. Don't shoot the messenger...".

????

Private schools boy comp in Sydney has kicked off a few weeks ago and has a few more teams than last year and is over 60 teams.

But what is interesting compared to last year is we now have two comps.

Committee of Associated Schools (CAS)

Great Public Schools of New South Wales (GPS)

This is quite a step as it dilutes the comp but i imagine aligns it with the schools in other sports.

And perhaps a playoff between the two top schools every year.

"Dilutes" ? I would imagine it better matches schools and produces a better result.

i would have thought dilutes, both sets of schools are pretty exclusive, but brings them in line with their own sports system.

Similar to the APS and AGS divide in Melbourne

Keeping on the topic of the thread, thoughts on the next team(s) from NSW being from outside of Sydney. Places like Newcastle and maybe Wollongong or somewhere else south of Sydney would make sense if hypothetically the AFL were planning for NSW 3 and NSW 4.

Keeping on the topic of the thread, thoughts on the next team(s) from NSW being from outside of Sydney. Places like Newcastle and maybe Wollongong or somewhere else south of Sydney would make sense if hypothetically the AFL were planning for NSW 3 and NSW 4.

Only spot in Sydney would be the North Shore hell bring in the Bombers(name change obviously). One of the oldest and the biggest clubs in Sydney.

Otherwise Newcastle.

Would say Canberra before all them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Only spot in Sydney would be the North Shore hell bring in the Bombers(name change obviously). One of the oldest and the biggest clubs in Sydney.

The Sydney Swans are basically North Shore. Could have been North Sydney.
We have Western Sydney so that leaves a South Sydney/Eastern Suburbs/St George/ Illawarra

Otherwise Newcastle.

The time to start is now and start having a focus on Newcastle. talking about it achieves nothing.

Would say Canberra before all them.

Technically within NSW.

WTF. Dilutes means more of the same. This is less of the same.
Two competitions from one competition.
I would imagine it better matches schools and produces a better result w.r.t. performance.

dilute AFAIK means water down, which at opens or first XV111 would happen as there are less team in each comp

at the end of the day IMO it legitimizes the comp(s) more not less moving forward as they are with their own sports system of schools and the history that goes with it

dilute AFAIK means water down, which at opens or first XV111 would happen as there are less team in each comp

There are the same number of players but divided into two competitions.
There are less players in each competition.
The only thing "more" is the number of competitions.

at the end of the day IMO it legitimizes the comp(s)

Exactly what i said "I would imagine it better matches schools and produces a better result w.r.t. performance."
but w.r.t. performance not some vague social context.

Last edited:
There are the same number of players but divided into two competitions.
There are less players in each competition.
The only thing "more" is the number of competitions.

Exactly what i said "I would imagine it better matches schools and produces a better result w.r.t. performance."
but w.r.t. performance not some vague social context.

i will be honest, its excruciatingly painful having a convo with you, i wont bother from now on

i will be honest, its excruciatingly painful having a convo with you, i wont bother from now on

I know because its excruciatingly painful dealing with someone who thinks re-organisation = dilution.
Once more for the dummies.
The number of players remains the same. (but more likely to increase because the games are better matched)
The number of teams remains the same. (but more likely to increase because the competitions are better matched)
The number of coaches remains the same.
The talent remains the same. (but possibly better managed)

The Sydney Swans are basically North Shore. Could have been North Sydney.
We have Western Sydney so that leaves a South Sydney/Eastern Suburbs/St George/ Illawarra

The time to start is now and start having a focus on Newcastle. talking about it achieves nothing.

Technically within NSW.

I think the Swans are at least as much Eastern suburbs than North. They probably have a faint footprint in the south

I agree more generally though - if there is going to be third team in NSW I would have it in Newcastle

I think the Swans are at least as much Eastern suburbs than North. They probably have a faint footprint in the south

The Swans are strong and have been always been strong across the North region including the hills, with the least opposition there.
The Manly peninsula has joined and now is competitive with North Shore and the hills clubs.
The Swans have a concentration in the Eastern Suburbs that has grown considerably stronger in recent times.
Randwick City playing out pf Maroubra is the largest new club.
The Swans have a lesser but reasonable following in the Southern suburbs that hasn't had as much growth.

Like the title of the thread says, it's only a matter of time before a third NSW team comes into existence (however long that is). Reckon the AFL would be planning for at least 4 and I reckon we're all agreed that Newcastle would make sense as NSW 3, but if a fourth team happened, where would that go? I reckon south of Sydney would be the last frontier for an AFL side in NSW and I'd actually be interested in seeing the numbers for footy in the Wollongong/Illawara/St George area as I remember reading that the numbers have grown exponentially in the past few years.

(would also like to state that I believe Tasmania and Canberra are more realistic before any more teams in NSW or QLD but this is merely brainstorming for the sake of this thread)

I reckon we're all agreed that Newcastle would make sense as NSW 3
No, we're not. In sheer population terms, Sydney is 10 times the size of Newcastle. And given we're looking for expansion several years down the track, it's worth noting Newcastle's big money spinner is a sunset industry that is going to face a decline over the next 30 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back