A Third Team In Sydney - It's Only a Matter Of Time !!

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
More evidence (not that it was ever genuinely doubted) that having 2 very competitive teams in Queensland helps in delivering very strong- & very valuable- broadcast Rights for the AFL.

Ditto, 2 very competitive teams in NSW/ACT.
Even much better would be a 3rd team: South Sydney Canberra, 6/5 split (which also plays, every year, 2 away games pa- sold by a Melbourne team- in Wollongong).

Colin Smith, a widely-quoted Sports Analyst in Australia, on 16.8 said

"AFL is outrating the NRL because the Lions & Gold Coast Suns are doing well in Queensland".

EDIT:

Last edited:
"AFL is outrating the NRL because the Lions & Gold Coast Suns are doing well in Queensland"

Whilst numbers on Queensland are up, and for a multichannel they are good, the difference in ratings is well over the total viewers in Queensland, let alone the increase this year.

There's a lot more to it than just what's happening in Queensland.

More evidence (not that it was ever genuinely doubted) that having 2 very competitive teams in Queensland helps in delivering very strong- & very valuable- broadcast Rights for the AFL.

Even much better would be a 3rd team: South Sydney Canberra, 6/5 split (which also plays, every year, 2 away games pa- sold by a Melbourne team- in Wollongong).

Colin Smith, Global Sports Analyst, on 16.8 said

"AFL is outrating the NRL because the Lions & Gold Coast Suns are doing well in Queensland".

EDIT:

Nrl figures only slightly down on FTA but up on foxtel. Brisbane performance hurts because only team in 2 and biggest market.
Afl ratings in Sydney this year don't look great

Colin Smith, Global Sports Analyst, on 16.8 said

EDIT:

No ground really AFAIK in Wollongong, maybe better off investing in upgrades of Campelltown - monarch Field and maybe having pre season games there or something, at one stage quite a powerful club in SW Sydney

Here’s a scenario as a suggestion.

Swans remain in the eastern suburbs.

A third Sydney team gets based in the north-westernish suburbs like Epping. Plays games out of Showgrounds as co-tenants with GWS, but play 3 games a year in Newcastle. Increasing the usage of the Showgrounds.

GWS focus on the south-westernish suburbs like Bankstown. And when Canberra finally get a team, GWS start playing 3 games in Wollongong instead.

Hey Pip. You must be gutted for your true sport team of western sydney then.
Wanderers get nationally less than what we get locally.
I’ve always wondered why you have such an obsession and hatred for the wanderers ? I understand the aleage is really struggling but wsw have won a league title and Asian cup in the 8 years they have been around for you would hardly call that terrible they have had more on field success then the giants!

I’ve always wondered why you have such an obsession and hatred for the wanderers ? I understand the aleage is really struggling but wsw have won a league title and Asian cup in the 8 years they have been around for you would hardly call that terrible they have had more on field success then the giants!

It’s simple really.
In football I follow the Skyblues. Which have a natural loathing of the wannabe kiddie thugs.

It makes it even more amusing when good ol Pipp, a wanderbaby, specifically makes an account to troll the sport and the Giants in Sydney.

He is very easy to reply to. Amusing actually.

Are you serious? On two counts

1) The fact that you can put a plastic franchise together and they can win the "title" in their first season and then the Asian "champions league" at the first opportunity just shows that both of those competitions are weightless fluff. Comparing their success with success in the Australian Football League is absurd.
1) Pip is a known troll who is obviously soul destroyed by the Giants being so much bigger a football club than the Wanderers. So he has created an account to let us know how gutting reality is for him. General Giant is just calling out a troll....this is obvious to you I am sure as well

It is absurd that the Wanderers were able to win the premiers plate in their very first season, with barely 4 months preparation! shorter than an AFL pre-season! (don't forget that the original west sydney franchise fell over at the 11th hour and they had to scramble to find a replacement).
Not only did the wanderers win the Asian cup some 18 months or so later, they did it while they were sitting bottom of the A-League!
I would describe that more as bizarre rather than absurd.

It is absurd that the Wanderers were able to win the premiers plate in their very first season, with barely 4 months preparation! shorter than an AFL pre-season! (don't forget that the original west sydney franchise fell over at the 11th hour and they had to scramble to find a replacement).
Not only did the wanderers win the Asian cup some 18 months or so later, they did it while they were sitting bottom of the A-League!

The original was the Sydney Rovers and that was because of lack of funds, think their plan was to play at ANZ as well.

The Wanderers were brought in (on short notice) because the Fury were booted.

I don't want topic to be about me so I'll make this short; I'm labelled troll because I don't share negative view of other sports & am honest about code's status in places like Sydney & Brisbane.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Are you serious? On two counts

1) The fact that you can put a plastic franchise together and they can win the "title" in their first season and then the Asian "champions league" at the first opportunity just shows that both of those competitions are weightless fluff. Comparing their success with success in the Australian Football League is absurd.
1) Pip is a known troll who is obviously soul destroyed by the Giants being so much bigger a football club than the Wanderers. So he has created an account to let us know how gutting reality is for him. General Giant is just calling out a troll....this is obvious to you I am sure as well
The soccer league's of China, Japan & Korea are all bigger financially than afl. I wouldn't discredit achievement of winning Asian championship

I don't want topic to be about me so I'll make this short; I'm labelled troll because I don't share negative view of other sports & am honest about code's status in places like Sydney & Brisbane.

No you are labelled a troll because you don’t like the sport and created an account to bag it in Sydney on an AFL site.

... I don't share negative view of other sports ...
That's true - you only share negative thoughts about Australian Football - on an Australian Football website.
... & am honest about code's status in places like Sydney & Brisbane.
More like you are worried and anxious about the growth of Australian Football in Sydney & Brisbane

1. A new ad hoc Sydney GR snr RL comp. has resumed 19.7, but (due to covid issues/club financial problems etc. in 2020) very few clubs are playing (c. 11 Sydney-based snr clubs, in this new "Presidents Cup", & a rearranged Sydney Shield). No Canterbury Cup (NRL Sydney Clubs' reserves) in 2020.
Some Clubs are entering from Wollongong, Maitland, Dubbo/other areas of western NSW etc. so a Sydney comp. can eventuate in 2020.

Notwithstanding the covid issues, the no. of snr GR clubs playing in NSW is very small in 2020.

The no. will obviously increase in 2021, if covid restrictions etc. are lifted etc.

2. Daily Telegraph 9.8

RL is a tough game, with a tough image. Many use harsher terms, & claim RL has an "image problem".
The police have charged Penrith Brothers u20's player R. Nanovo with stabbing (including to neck & torso) a Wentwothville player & 2 spectators after the u20's game, in the car park. Two of the men are in a serious condition. Fellow Penrith Brothers u20 player, B. Middlebrook, who allegedly assaulted (with fists only) people in this confrontation, was also charged.

P. Rothfield tweeted "Stabbing at junior League game. A horrible story".

This incident places a new context, when players often complain about having a "stabbing pain"!

(Scroll down to Adair Tweet dated August 9- then click on Daily Telegraph/P. Rothfield article)

All sports have a minority of thugs, including GR AF. Brawls occasionally occur in some male team sports (GR jnr & snr AF in Australia, however, has FAR more games & players than RL & RU).
It is extremely rare, however, for players to stab their opponents in any sport in Australia. It may happen in soccer overseas.
This will be a stain on Sydney GR snr. male RL's image, & might add to its long term decline in snr (& jnr) male contact player nos.
(Female jnr contact RL is having significant growth in Sydney's WS, however).

It should also be noted that the Penrith District JRL had to employ uniformed security guards at all junior games in 2017- due to unacceptable/aggressive behaviour of a minority of adults attending jnr RL games. AFAIK, this permanent use of uniformed security guards at all jnr games was a first for any jnr sport in Australia.

P. Beatie, in Sept. 2018 when he was ARLC Chairman, stated he was concerned at the declining nos. of male RL comp. players from U14 onwards (& the decline has caused jnr comps. to be combined in Sydney).

3. EDIT:

In an amazing declaration of fan loyalty, only 1% of Club members have requested a refund on their membership for the 2020 AFL season. A large no. also wanted their 2020 fees transferred to the 2021 season.

This will assist the AFL in its continuing spending programs to support GR AF in NSW, ACT, & Qld.

I haven't seen any related figures for other sports in Australia, but I doubt any would come close to this 1 % figure.
As the ABC's R. Hinds wrote, on 16.6.20, in a previous post I linked in this thread, the AFL (whilst certainly having a reduction in revenues & earnings) will actually merge from covid-19 in a relatively superior position to other sports (who will suffer FAR higher % reductions).

Last edited:
The soccer league's of China, Japan & Korea are all bigger financially than afl. I wouldn't discredit achievement of winning Asian championship

You'd certainly expect a nation of 1.5 billion to have a bigger football league.
Interestingly, around the time the AFL's broadcast deal was announced of $2.5 billion, I recall noticing that the Chinese broadcast deal was worth about half that, which is sort of big...I guess.
The K-league has tiny crowds by the way.
But back to the wanderers winning the asian cup (from bottom place in the A-League!), the bizarre aspect was that usually A-League clubs get thrashed in that comp, and then the bottom team comes along and wins it.
Pretty bizarre I would have thought.
And now Western United, with zero fans, zero home, zero interest, is at risk of winning the A-League championship in its very first year.
I mean, seriously.

No, they are not.

The Wanderers discredited the Asian Championship when they won it 18 months after they were cobbled together with taxpayer seed funding.

You'd certainly expect a nation of 1.5 billion to have a bigger football league.
Interestingly, around the time the AFL's broadcast deal was announced of $2.5 billion, I recall noticing that the Chinese broadcast deal was worth about half that, which is sort of big...I guess.
But back to the wanderers winning the asian cup (from bottom place in the A-League!), the bizarre aspect was that usually A-League clubs get thrashed in that comp, and then the bottom team comes along and wins it.
And now Western United, with zero fans, zero home, zero interest, is at risk of winning the A-League championship in its very first year.
I mean, seriously.

Exactly. Must be awfully frustrating

SMH 9.8

This is a detailed report of the stabbing, allegedly done by the Penrith Brothers player, 19 y.o. R. Nanovo.
The 3 stabbing victims were aged 16,19, & 22- with 2 who were, then, in a critical condition. The Riot Squad was called out to the ground.

1. A new ad hoc Sydney GR snr RL comp. has resumed 19.7, but (due to covid issues/club financial problems etc. in 2020) very few clubs are playing (c. 11 Sydney-based snr clubs, in this new "Presidents Cup", & a rearranged Sydney Shield). No Canterbury Cup (NRL Sydney Clubs' reserves) in 2020.
Some Clubs are entering from Wollongong, Maitland, Dubbo etc. so a Sydney comp. can eventuate in 2020.

Notwithstanding the covid issues, the no. of snr GR clubs playing in NSW is very small in 2020.

The no. will obviously increase in 2021, if covid restrictions etc. are lifted etc.

2. Daily Telegraph 9.8

RL is a tough game, with a tough image.
The police have charged Penrith Brothers u20's player R. Nanovo (ex Fiji RL rep.) with stabbing (including to neck & torso) a Wentwothville player & 2 spectators after the u20's game, in the car park. Two of the men are in a serious condition. Fellow Penrith Brothers u20 player, B. Middlebrook, who assaulted (with fists only) people in this confrontation, was also charged.

P. Rothfield tweeted "Stabbing at junior League game. A horrible story".

This incident places a new context, when players often complain about having a "stabbing pain"!

(Scroll down to Adair Tweet dated August 9- then click on Daily Telegraph/P. Rothfield article)

All sports have a minority of thugs, including GR AF. Brawls occasionally occur in some male team sports (GR snr AF in Australia, however, has FAR more games & players than RL & RU).
It is extremely rare, however, for players to stab their opponents in any sport in Australia. It may happen in soccer overseas.
This will be a stain on Sydney GR snr. male RL's image, & might add to its long term decline in snr (& jnr) male contact player nos.
(Female jnr RL is having significant growth in Sydney's WS, however).

It should also be noted that the Penrith District JRL had to employ uniformed security guards at all junior games in 2017- due to unacceptable/aggressive behaviour of a minority of adults attending jnr RL games.
P. Beatie, in Sept. 2018 when he was ARLC Chairman, stated he was concerned at the declining nos. of male RL comp. players from U14 onwards (& the decline has caused jnr comps. to be combined in Sydney).

3. EDIT:

In an amazing declaration of fan loyalty, only 1% of Club members have requested a refund on their membership for the 2020 AFL season. A large no. also wanted their 2020 fees transferred to the 2021 season.

This will assist the AFL in its continuing spending programs to support GR AF in NSW, ACT, & Qld.

I haven't seen any related figures for other sports in Australia, but I doubt any would come close to this 1 % figure.
As the ABC's R. Hinds said in a previous post I linked in this thread, the AFL (whilst certainly having a reduction in revenues & earnings) will actually merge from covid-19 in a relatively superior position to other sports (who will suffer FAR higher % reductions).
This is what I am talking about - in no way does this relate to afl in Sydney. Cherry picking negative news stories about other codes like it can boast the sport. This is not how things work & one could easily do same to show game's own problems.

I mean, seriously.
It's nice to know something about the world; The Chinese super league, j league & k league are simply bigger than afl. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_professional_sports_leagues_by_revenue

To win Asian championship is equivalent of other bigger afl leagues existing in the world & current afl champions going on to topple teams from these leagues in an additional extended competition.

Australia is a small country in terms of population & that is the sole supplier of players for afl. By contrast pro soccer players are produced in every country - a new team can be competitive through recruiting. Teams in middling competitions on world stage still have a bigger pool of talent to choose from.
Irony is despite international nature of game WSW fielded 500% more local players than gws gf team & that was just starters

It's nice to know something about the world; The Chinese super league, j league & k league are simply bigger than afl. h
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_professional_sports_leagues_by_revenue

You are using wikipedia for a league revenue comparisons?

Straight up you can see that the AFL figure is just the league revenue from the annual report. The actual figure is more than double that once you add in club revenue. There are only 6 soccer leagues with more revenue than the AFL - the big 5 euros and the Brazil Serie A

The evidence links to the Korean and Chinese totals are broken. Just a quick google shows that actual revenues of those three asian leagues is nowhere near the reported numbers

K League total revenues last year were about $435 Australian. About 1/4 the size of the AFL

The J League has a 10 year TV rights deal worth $190M US a year

The chinese league sells most tickets for between $2 and $5. It has TV rights deal of $250M US

To win Asian championship is equivalent of other bigger afl leagues existing in the world & current afl champions going on to topple teams from these leagues in an additional extended

No it is not because no league in asia is even remotely near the gravitas a history of the AFL

Australia is a small country in terms of population & that is the sole supplier of players for afl. By contrast pro soccer players are produced in every country - a new team can be competitive through recruiting. Teams in middling competitions on world stage still have a bigger pool of talent to choose from.
Irony is despite international nature of game WSW fielded 500% more local players than gws gf team & that was just starters

The irony is you are so ridiculous it is hard to know if you are not just a pyss take of a soccer fan

Australia is 7th on the all time olympics gold medals. The AFL increasingly takes the lion share of the athletic talent that produced those results historically.

Soccer would barely have been played in asia 50 years ago.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back