A Third Team In Sydney - It's Only a Matter Of Time !!

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is your report button broken?

Well I don't use my report button because the last time I used my report button only I got reported.
Clearly mods are waiting to things get out of control before they act instead of "nipping it in the bud".
We all know who the trolls are so do something.

There are 8,500,000 reasons why the 3rd team in NSW should be in Sydney

That's the same reasoning for a 3rd team in Perth and the same question arises - what potential region ?

Newcastle is RL & soccer heartland.

You have to stop using those types of arguments.
Newcastle is parochial so that is an argument that it could support an AFL club.
Newcastle has Australian Football history and a league.
The introduction of women's football in Newcastle could be a pointer as to how quickly the situation could change.

I doubt whether Wollongong/Illawarra is big enough to have its own AFL club

Yes, but it's about identifying with a region like Illawarra in the NRL.

Last edited:
There are 8,500,000 reasons why the 3rd team in NSW should be in Sydney- the ABS estimates Sydney will have a pop.of 8,500,000 in 2050!
It would be absurd- & an admission of abject failure to promote AF properly- if Sydney in 2050 had only 2 AFL clubs.

Newcastle is RL & soccer heartland- the Knights & Jets (when they are successful) attract home crowds of 25k+ & 15k+ respectively.
GR AF is weak in Newcastle & the Hunter (although growing strongly off a low base eg amazingly, it has 17 snr female teams). The Central Coast is the weakest for GR AF in NSW, excluding New England in the NW.

I doubt whether Wollongong/Illawarra is big & wealthy enough to have its own, "expensive" AFL club by 2050- but I support impecunious Melb. clubs selling 2-4 home games pa to be played there, against a new South Sydney Canberra (Kookaburras or Cannons) combined AFL Club, 6 games based in Campbelltown (53km from CBD)/5 in Canberra pa.
The SSC FC would & should only be created after GWS regularly (?) attracts lockout crowds at Giants Stadium.

Exactly! It costs a lot of money to run an AFL club! The ability to, eventually, become independent financially/attract major sponsors etc. is extremely important. It is a crucial consideration for the AFL, when it decides to grant a Licence in NSW, ACT, or Qld. (particularly given the profligacy of greedy overspending of all the Club Football Departments).

Sydney is easily Australia's wealthiest city, on average wages- ditto property values. Canberra has the highest median wage (due to having so many overpaid public servants in recession-proof cushy jobs. Canberra average property prices are, amazingly, currently rising!).
Sydney has the HQ's of all the MSM cos. (even Seven, owned by Perth-based K. Stokes). Sydney advertising agencies handle c.50% of Australia's advertising expenditures.

Sydney has considerable & crucial "influence"; & Canberra, obviously, has considerable political power. It is too risky for the AFL not to have a very strong presence in both areas.

Sydney will simply be too big by 2050- pop. 8.5m, & essential for it to have a 3rd Club. Campbelltown is just to far from the CBD & Sydney's WS.

Sydney's SS & SW will need their own club, as part of a combine with Canberra. Sydney's mid SW is weak for GR AF, but Campbelltown, Camden areas are having good AF GR growth.
ACT GR AF is having strong GR growth, & has probably exceded its regd. nos previous high from the 1980's (After the NRL Raiders entered, AF lost its ascendancy in Canberra city).

The Sydney metro area is booming for GR jnr club,with c.20,000+ regd. comp. players. This does not include an additional c.7k club Auskick players.

As most of the growth is in Auskick (5 y.o. -8 y.o.) & Club jnrs aged 8 y.o. -11 y.o.), we can accurately predict that in c.10 years, there will be c. 35k regd. Club comp. players in Sydney metro- & a similar % increase in club Auskick nos.

The (Swans) Sydney Harbour Junior FL is tracking to become the largest single Junior FL in Australia- extraordinary!
(with the help of inner WS Clubs Western Suburbs Magpies- Croydon Park, Concord, Canada Bay, Glebe, Leichardt, & Drummoyne (also plays in Five Dock) JFC's, who are all in the Sydney Harbour comp., along with some NW jnr AF Clubs).

Why are you not specifically answering (by addressing the issues he raised) Noobie Pie's question about BF allowing Pippen to , obviously, troll BF & AF?
Your inaction simply encourages trolling, some of which is vile.

All well & good. Perth, the 2nd biggest footy market is predicted, by the ABS, to have a population of 3.5mill. ie a higher growth rate than Sydney. Do they stay at 2 clubs only?

Anyway, economic & population growth predictions are all moot given the current situation of pandemic & unstable international relations.

All well & good. Perth, the 2nd biggest footy market is predicted, by the ABS, to have a population of 3.5mill. ie a higher growth rate than Sydney. Do they stay at 2 clubs only?

Same sort of arguments exist. Perth is on a rough Nth/Sth divide. You would target East of Perth but bank the name "Perth".

Anyway, economic & population growth predictions are all moot given the current situation of pandemic & unstable international relations.

Difficult times especially for the minor sports.
In relative terms - it mightn't be so bad.

That's the same reasoning for a 3rd team in Perth and the same question arises - what potential region ?

Newcastle is parochial so that is an argument that it could support an AFL club.
Newcastle has Australian Football history and a league.
The introduction of women's football in Newcastle could be a pointer as to how quickly the situation could change.

Yes, but it's about identifying with a region like Illawarra in the NRL.[My proposal is for SSC FC to play 2-4 Away games pa in Wollongong- this would greatly help identification with SSC FC/general interest in AF]

No it isn't. Sydney is growing strongly, Perth's pop. increase has dropped considerably in recent years (Main reasons for Perth's long property price decline).
The ABS estimates Sydney will have a pop. of 8.5m by 2050, Perth might be c. 3.5m in 2050= no comparison.

I nominated a combined South Sydney Canberra team, based in Campbelltown- 6/5 split of home games, with an additional 2-4 games pa in Wollongong (sold, as Home games, by an impecunious Melb. Club. There will always be some "poorer" Melb. clubs; & 2-4 games pa should also be sold to Newcastle eventually).

All parts of Australia are parochial- this "argument" does not support the view that Newcastle/Hunter is superior to a 3rd team in Sydney.

Newcastle has a history of small GR AF, & a women's GR comp. This does not, of itself, offer any evidence it could financially fund a very expensive AFL club. (Unless you want to argue that Broken Hill or Cairns should have their own AFL clubs).
You cannot simply ignore that Newcastle/ Hunter are big RL & soccer strongholds- but even there pro RL & soccer clubs have had very severe financial problems!

You have not responded to the c. 15 propositions I argued in post #3225 above as to why South Sydney Canberra combined club (based in Campbelltown, 6/5 split) is the best option for an expansion Club (after Tasmania). Self evident?

All well & good. Perth, the 2nd biggest footy market is predicted, by the ABS, to have a population of 3.5mill.

You have answered your own question.
Sydney, ABS estimated 8.5m pop. in 2050, is clearly a superior choice for an additional team to Perth- estimated pop. of 3.5m in 2050. And SSC brings, crucially, new fans to AF.

You have not responded to the c.15 propositions I argued in post#3225 above as to why South Sydney Canberra combined Club is the best option for an expansion Club (after Tasmania, of course!). Self evident?

Last edited:
Same sort of arguments exist. Perth is on a rough Nth/Sth divide. You would target East of Perth but bank the name "Perth".

In relative term maybe. But in absolute terms, the costs of setting up new clubs in 'non footy' area would be prohibitive given the AFL's reduced incomes. That's likely to continue for quite a while yet. They'd really need bums on seats sooner rather than in some perceived generational time scale of 30 years or such.

No it isn't. Sydney is growing strongly, Perth's pop. increase has dropped considerably in the last 10 years (main reasons for its long property price decline).
The ABS estimates Sydney will have a pop. of 8.5m by 2050, Perth might be c. 3.5m in 2050.

I nominated a combined SS/Canberra team, based in Campbelltown- 6/5 split of home games, with an additional 2 games pa in Wollongong (sold, as Home games, by an impecunious Melb. Club- there will always be some "poorer" clubs).

All parts of Australia are parochial- this "argument" does not support the view that Newcastle/Hunter is superior to a 3rd team in Sydney.

The fact that Newcastle has a small history of GR AF & a women's GR comp. does not, of itself, offer any evidence it could financially sustain its own AFL club. (Unless you want to argue that Broken Hill or Cairns should have their own AFL clubs).
You cannot simply ignore that Newcastle/ Hunter big RL & soccer stronghold.

You have not responded to the many arguments I posted above as to why South Sydney Canberra combined club (based in Campbelltown, 6/5 split) is the best option for an expansion Club. 9 after Tasmania).

Sydney, ABS estimated 8.5m pop. in 2050, is a superior choice for an additional team to Perth- estimated pop. of 3.5m in 2050.

You have not responded to the many arguments I posted above as to why South Sydney Canberra combined Club is the best option for an expansion Club (after Tasmania, of course!).

Again, ABS projections are now, at best, moot.

'Football people' in Perth Tassie or wherever are more likely to support a new club than in 'developing' areas like South Sydney or Newcastle etc. Can the AFL afford another $30mill a year for 20years or so to support a new entity in such non footy places???

Right now (pre Covid & likely after it) the Perth Stadium is near capacity for Weagle games. Freo may always not appeal to the locals who'd prefer the name 'Perth' in a club. It seems their is an undersupply that would be filled by anew club using the Perth name. Sharks or whatever. Maximising the attendance opportunity forthe footy community in the new stadium makes sense to me. I dont see why not.

'Football people' in Perth Tassie or wherever are more likely to support a new club than in 'developing' areas like South Sydney or Newcastle etc. Can the AFL afford another $30mill a year for 20years or so to support a new entity in such non footy places???

Right now (pre Covid & likely after it) the Perth Stadium is near capacity for Weagle games. Freo may always not appeal to the locals who'd prefer the name 'Perth' in a club. It seems their is an undersupply that would be filled by anew club using the Perth name. Sharks or whatever. Maximising the attendance opportunity forthe footy community in the new stadium makes sense to me. I dont see why not.

Someone is going to have to guarantor a Tasmanian team into the AFL - either the Tas government of the AFL itself....and so it would have to be the former

Likewise in WA it would need to be because the the WAFC and football more generally in WA see it as beneficial to have a third team in WA (eg including increased utilisation of Perth Stadium, extra derbies etc.)

This is the critical distinction. The AFL will provide extra funding for generations in growth areas, justifiably.

Someone is going to have to guarantor a Tasmanian team into the AFL - either the Tas government of the AFL itself....and so it would have to be the former

Likewise in WA it would need to be because the the WAFC and football more generally in WA see it as beneficial to have a third team in WA (eg including increased utilisation of Perth Stadium, extra derbies etc.)

This is the critical distinction. The AFL will provide extra funding for generations in growth areas, justifiably.

It would be an interesting discussion to have in WA. From a distance, to me, it looks like a no brainer.

More games in Perth. More opportunity for WA lads to be recruited locally. More games in the 2nd biggest & most modern stadium in Australian rules football.

To me its a solid step in the right direction for the 2nd biggest AR market. WA3;)

The Tas Gov would be part of the support structure for Tas1. They see it as a big part of the tourism strategy. Money spent would stay in Tasmania rather than fly off to Melbourne after each FIFO game. The fact it would leave a hole in the NM & Hawks budget positions would mean nothing to Tas. It'd be their problem. FIFO somewhere else or whatever.

Sydney will be well served by the current 2 clubs. Not sure of the marketing of business advantage of a 3rd team being 'created'.

No it isn't. Sydney is growing strongly, Perth's pop. increase has dropped considerably in recent years (Main reasons for Perth's long property price decline).
The ABS estimates Sydney will have a pop. of 8.5m by 2050, Perth might be c. 3.5m in 2050= no comparison.

I nominated a combined South Sydney Canberra team, based in Campbelltown- 6/5 split of home games, with an additional 2-4 games pa in Wollongong (sold, as Home games, by an impecunious Melb. Club. There will always be some "poorer" Melb. clubs- & 2-4 games pa should be sold to Newcastle eventually).

Newcastle has a history of small GR AF, & a women's GR comp. This does not, of itself, offer any evidence it could financially fund a very expensive AFL club. (Unless you want to argue that Broken Hill or Cairns should have their own AFL clubs).
You cannot simply ignore that Newcastle/ Hunter are big RL & soccer strongholds- but even there RL & soccer clubs have had very severe financial problems!

You have not responded to the c. 15 propositions I argued in post #3225 above as to why South Sydney Canberra combined club (based in Campbelltown, 6/5 split) is the best option for an expansion Club (after Tasmania). Self evident?

Sydney, ABS estimated 8.5m pop. in 2050, is clearly a superior choice for an additional team to Perth- estimated pop. of 3.5m in 2050.

You have not responded to the c.15 propositions I argued in post#3225 above as to why South Sydney Canberra combined Club is the best option for an expansion Club (after Tasmania, of course!). Self evident?
If 10% of the population in Sydney follows AFL (its less than that), and 30% in Perth, then the target market in Perth is bigger in size, and there is still plenty of room for growth.
For Sydney to match Perth as a market for football, the proportion of the population of Sydney engaged with football has to rise quite a bit. And this has to happen first I think. We have had the last of the 'build it and they will come' expansion teams. Engagement increase, then build an extra team.

And projections of populations of cities 30 years out are notoriously unreliable

There are 8,500,000 reasons why the 3rd team in NSW should be in Sydney- the ABS estimates Sydney will have a pop. of 8,500,000 in 2050!
It would be absurd- & an admission of abject failure to promote AF properly- if Sydney in 2050 had only 2 AFL clubs.

Same with Perth though isn't it? Sydney and GWS seem to be pretty settled in the Sydney market and whilst a 3rd Sydney club would expose the game to a lot more new fans then WA3 it doesn't mean it'll succeed and it'd more then likely end up negatively effecting the Sydney market for footy.

Newcastle is RL & soccer heartland- the Knights & Jets (when they are successful) attract home crowds of 25k+ & 15k+ respectively.
GR AF is weak in Newcastle & the Hunter (although growing strongly off a low base eg amazingly, it has 17 snr female teams). The Central Coast is probably the weakest for GR AF in NSW, excluding New England in the NW.

GR AR can't be too weak if Newcastle has had its own competition since 1883. I know the area is RL/Soccer heartland but so was Sydney and look where we are now. Newcastle has a potential area of 1.5 million people (and this number would increase by the time NSW 3 is on the table). Reckon the NEAFL with a regional Newcastle side would be a good way to start and see what interest in the game is like.

I doubt whether Wollongong/Illawarra is big & wealthy enough to have its own, "expensive" AFL club by 2050.

Wollongong/Illawarra is 600,000+ with Macarthur and Southern Sydney up the road. Would also expect all areas I've just mentioned to increase a fair bit in population by 2050. With costs of clubs coming down through list reductions and footy department spending, running a club would actually be a lot cheaper then what it is now too.

I support, however, impecunious Melb. clubs selling 2-4 home games pa to be played there, against a 20th new South Sydney Canberra (Kooka'Burras or Cannons) combined AFL Club- 6 games based in Campbelltown /5 in Canberra pa.

A South Sydney/Canberra club would be a recipe for an absolute disaster. I would not expect that arrangement to work at all. Aside from that, Canberra deserve their own side rather then being lumped with a Sydney side.

I also support Melb. clubs selling Home games to Newcastle, 2-4 pa. The lure of AFL & Big Bash/ "minor" Test games should be sufficient to upgrade/enlarge the Newcastle ground.

Dunno about you but something tells me NSW people probably won't take to a Victorian FIFO team. Just a thought.

Exactly! It costs a lot of money to run an AFL club! The ability to, eventually, become independent financially/attract major sponsors etc. is extremely important. It is a crucial consideration for the AFL, when it decides to grant a Licence in NSW, ACT, or Qld. (particularly given the profligacy of greedy overspending of all the Club Football Departments).

As I've already said, the costs of running a footy club in the AFL will be a lot lower then what it is now for the near future. Boutique clubs with coin to spare are probably on the agenda for awhile. And even though Newcastle and Wollongong/Illawarra aren't Sydney, they're still big regional centres with huge growth expected and are in travel distance of the biggest financial centre in the country so their ability to attract big sponsors would still be better then most clubs.

Sydney has considerable & crucial "influence"; & Canberra, obviously, has considerable & crucial political power. It is too risky for the AFL not to have a 3rd team, & very strong presence, in both areas.

The AFL would be better off giving Canberra its own side and either getting Manuka upgraded or getting a new stadium for AFL and BBL. And if the AFL want to be serious about expanding across the whole of NSW, adding two teams in its biggest regions who aren't far off from the state capital is still just as feasible as more Sydney sides without treading on existing clubs toes.

The Sydney metro area is booming for GR jnr AF, with c. 13,500+ regd. club comp. players. This does not include an additional c. 7k club Auskick players.
(These nos. don't include primary & secondary school- both govt. & private- comp. AF players, which are also growing strongly).

As most of the growth is in Club Auskick (5 y.o. -8 y.o.) & Club jnrs aged 8 y.o. -11 y.o., we can accurately predict that in c.10 years, there will be c. 28k regd. Club comp. players in Sydney metro. And a similar % increase in Club Auskick nos.

The (Swans) Sydney Harbour Junior FL is tracking to become the largest single Junior FL in Australia- extraordinary!
(With the help of inner WS Clubs Western Suburbs Magpies- Croydon Park, Concord, Canada Bay, Glebe, Leichardt, & Drummoyne (also plays in Five Dock) JFC's, who are all in the Sydney Harbour comp.- along with some NW jnr AF Clubs).

That's great progress for footy in Sydney but the game should be looking to expand across the state not just take over the city.

Just gonna bring this around back to the title of the thread.

Would NSW 3/4 make more sense as Newcastle/Wollongong type teams in big regional areas or placing them closer to Sydney (or in Sydney itself)? Personally I think it'd make sense for the former as Newcastle and the Central Coast/Hunter Valley area in general is huge and Wollongong/Illawara is growing at a steady rate and would be better at getting footy into regional areas rather then just keeping AFL and the game itself confined to Sydney.
No, it has to be in Sydney. If Newcastle and the Central Coast are huge, how do you describe a city that's eight times the size of both those towns put together?

As I've said before in this thread, Newcastle's meal ticket is an industry that's going to suffer dearly over the next 30 years as alternative energy sources gather momentum. It's not a place I'd be expanding to. As for the Central Coast and Wollongong, they're both barely growing at all.

Even if Sydney blows up in AR fandom you would only by then be carving in to the existing club support.
If Sydney blows up in AR fandom, an entire city the size of Melbourne will be interested, but the vast majority will be locked out of going to games, and millions of those will have poor access to either existing team's home grounds. There'll be more than enough support to go around in that case, I can assure you neither the Swans nor the Giants nor Sydney 3 would have any issues filling their stadium.

That's the paradox, the only reason you would add a team anywhere is to expand support in that region.
I don't agree. The only reason you would add a team anywhere is if it generates money. The commercial aspect cannot be overlooked. As I said above, large parts of Sydney don't have good access to either the SCG or Homebush. A third team located at Badgery's Creek Aerotropolis would greatly expand access to games and generate support without compromising GWS'.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well I don't use my report button because the last time I used my report button only I got reported.
Clearly mods are waiting to things get out of control before they act instead of "nipping it in the bud".

Utter rubbish. Use the button.

Ill do something when he does something worth me doing something about. People dont have to agree with us or even like the AFL to be here. Deal with whatever it is he has to say and move on...or ignore him. If you feel strongly about it report it. Its how the system works.

The original was the Sydney Rovers and that was because of lack of funds, think their plan was to play at ANZ as well.

The Wanderers were brought in (on short notice) because the Fury were booted.
I know half the stuff you say is just a light hearted dig at pippen but even yourself would have to admit the wanderers have been far from a failure since entering and are far from the A leagues biggest problem!

Agree completely on this.

The Super League War was the key biggest factor for footy gaining a significant foothold in NSW and any discussion revolving around further teams in NSW and QLD or even the growth of the game in general revolve around the health of League (and to a lesser extent soccer IMO).

One mistake I think the AFL made when the SL War stuff was happening was them not putting Canberra in.
Putting Canberra in would have been great but it also would have made it a lot harder and cost a lot more when bringing gws in is a double edged sword

I noted Pip's example of "AFL violence" was a bit of a fracas between a couple of supporters after the game and outside the stadium - and it occurred 17 months ago (couldn't find any recent examples?). It didn't involve any players, umpires or coaches or anything on-field (let alone stabbings).

Anyway I thought I'd check the media for anything that happened only just yesterday - and sure enough, there was plenty to report - a 12 yo rugby league player was sent to hospital after being punched in the face on the field by a brave 39 yo adult, a rugby league referee was punched in the face and knocked unconcious by a player during a match and a soccer player punched his coach in the face - just another Saturday in NSW.

No wonder the good people of NSW are turning more and more to our Australian game (though I suppose the bad people of NSW will still stubbornly resist) -
There has actually been quite a few at Afl games over the last decade it happens at every sport we’re no different to any other

What about admitting WAFL club Swan Districts as the third club? It covers the north-eastern suburbs and has a fanatical, traditional supporter-base just like Port Adelaide Magpies.

Would be no different to three quarters of the teams in the afl including gws and the suns how many clubs would survive with out any AFL funding not many

Would be no different to three quarters of the teams in the afl including gws and the suns how many clubs would survive with out any AFL funding not many

Except GWS and Suns have a strategic objective of long term national growth in the non-traditional AFL cities which are the first and third biggest in the country.

And the question to ask is not "how many clubs would survive with out any AFL funding", it's "how many clubs would survive with out any additional AFL funding above base distribution".

I am afraid Tasmania will need to guarantor a club in perpetuity or they won't get one

I know half the stuff you say is just a light hearted dig at pippen but even yourself would have to admit the wanderers have been far from a failure since entering and are far from the A leagues biggest problem!

I don’t think I’ve ever said the Wanderbabies were the leagues biggest problem.
As a league we/it have plenty of problems and bigger ones than them.

Success? No. They were tracking below 10k in their 1st year before winning games and only got as high as 15k, as soon as they weren’t at the top they ran for the hills, but used the stadium as an excuse.

They will always have the AFC title and it’s well done but they live off it, kinda like the West’s Tigers and 2005, so it holds them back.

Except GWS and Suns have a strategic objective of long term national growth in the non-traditional AFL cities which are the first and third biggest in the country.

And the question to ask is not "how many clubs would survive with out any AFL funding", it's "how many clubs would survive with out any additional AFL funding above base distribution".

I am afraid Tasmania will need to guarantor a club in perpetuity or they won't get one
Well a strategic long term plan of growth is great and all but there is no guarantee in that either is there I’m not going to turn this into a tas vs gws and suns thing as that has been done to death I realise there here to stay but when talking about a future tas team there is no more risk then gws or the suns you could argue in the short- medium term there is a lot less risk due to a support base already being there as well as having the best stadium deals in the afl at the end of the day it’s just your opinion a Tasmanian team would need a guaranter you have nothing factual to back this statement up !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back