A Third Team In Sydney - It's Only a Matter Of Time !!

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don’t think I’ve ever said the Wanderbabies were the leagues biggest problem.
As a league we/it have plenty of problems and bigger ones than them.

Success? No. They were tracking below 10k in their 1st year before winning games and only got as high as 15k, as soon as they weren’t at the top they ran for the hills, but used the stadium as an excuse.

They will always have the AFC title and it’s well done but they live off it, kinda like the West’s Tigers and 2005, so it holds them back.
Don’t crowds normally mirror how your travelling on field? Nothing strange there that’s the same for the majority of sporting clubs in Australia when performances drop off generally crowds do to .the crowds of 10-15 thousand you mentioned I dare say wouldn’t be to bad going buy Aleage standards ?

What about admitting WAFL club Swan Districts as the third club? It covers the north-eastern suburbs and has a fanatical, traditional supporter-base just like Port Adelaide Magpies.

Locals would have a better idea about that.

For me, I think the team must be named Perth in the first instance. I think it'd need to appeal to the whole of the greater Perth city & surrounds to maximise that appeal.

Perth Sharks? Go you Sharkies! :)

There is no doubt that Swan Districts have the most passionate set of fans who actually travel in good numbers to other WAFL grounds and Bassendean Oval is grandstand wise similar to many old VFL grounds for crowd capacity.

But if there is ever a third club in Perth i would think the Northern corridor, Freo seems to have sewn up the Southern.

Well a strategic long term plan of growth is great and all but there is no guarantee in that either is there I’m not going to turn this into a tas vs gws and suns thing as that has been done to death I realise there here to stay but when talking about a future tas team there is no more risk then gws or the suns you could argue in the short- medium term there is a lot less risk due to a support base already being there as well as having the best stadium deals in the afl at the end of the day it’s just your opinion a Tasmanian team would need a guaranter you have nothing factual to back this statement up !

Why would I need something "factual" to back up an argument clearly based in logic????

You are out of your depth

Don’t crowds normally mirror how your travelling on field? Nothing strange there that’s the same for the majority of sporting clubs in Australia when performances drop off generally crowds do to .the crowds of 10-15 thousand you mentioned I dare say wouldn’t be to bad going buy Aleage standards ?

True, more the talk of the club and professional and social media of the club.

Supposedly greatest thing to happen to the sport if you believed them.

Why would I need something "factual" to back up an argument clearly based in logic????

You are out of your depth
Generally you have facts to back up a argument logic doesn’t mean a great deal in the real world chief I take it you don’t have any business background if you’re going to a bank to borrow money you need facts and evidence not logic or potential like I said nothing against the suns or giants I realise there here for the long term but when commenting on a future Tasmanian team you’re the one completely out of your depth I suggest you go read the Tasmanian business case !

No it isn't. Sydney is growing strongly, Perth's pop. increase has dropped considerably in recent years (Main reasons for Perth's long property price decline).
The ABS estimates Sydney will have a pop. of 8.5m by 2050, Perth might be c. 3.5m in 2050= no comparison.

Chicken or the egg.
Perth's population growth stopped due to the collapse of iron ore prices which led to obvious the economic consequences.
Perth is arguable the first cab off of the rank.The price point at which real estate is moving is quickly rising.
Sydney, I don't know. There will be a point where people say the increase in population density is enough
and the retro-fitting of services is too costly and difficult. Water problems etc.

Anyway, that has little to do with football. You are focussing purely on numbers.
Numbers say Perth could easily hold another AFL team.
Whilst Sydney has the potential, it doesn't have the AFL numbers a.t.m. compared to Perth.
Saying Sydney has the numbers and Newcastle doesn't is quite hypocritical.
Whatever road you take - requires a lot of effort.

Maybe read the business case. That underpins the Tas1 cause & support.

Happy to read the business case if you provide a link.

I am not doubting that Tasmania couldn't put together a strong case with peppercorn rent stadiums and long term commitments from tourism tasmania etc

Overall my point is that the AFL would have justification to demand a guarantee of viability over a very long term in providing a 19th licence for a Tasmanian team.

It has not relationship to it making an investment commitment over a very long term for GWS and the Gold Coast

In relative terms maybe.

Technically, you could possibly have a new Perth team pretty quickly. I wouldn't opt for that.
Development areas would definitely need work at the appropriate time but the atmosphere
in those areas could be more conducive to that development. i.e. less 'resistance' for want of a better word.

Ill do something when he does something worth me doing something about. People dont have to agree with us or even like the AFL to be here. Deal with whatever it is he has to say and move on...or ignore him. If you feel strongly about it report it.

Clearly different mods on different boards set the bar at different levels. There should be more consistency.

Its how the system works.

or doesn't.

What about admitting WAFL club Swan Districts as the third club? It covers the north-eastern suburbs and has a fanatical, traditional supporter-base just like Port Adelaide Magpies.

Not as Swan Districts, but as a region from Swan Valley through to Armadale.
Port Adelaide were incredibly strong which allowed them entry into the AFL.
The SANFL was incredibly polarised against P.A. so the P.A. AFL club has found it very difficult to grow support in Adelaide.
No WAFL club should be promoted because they all are not strong enough alone and it would be too divisive to grow.
Even the bottom VFL clubs have struggled to maintain market share once they moved from VFL into the AFL.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Are you saying that I wasn't banned recently for using the button for trolls ?

You received a report ban. Use it properly this time.

SEN Radio Melb. Whateley Program "The Top Office With Tony Shepherd".

Interview with GWS Chairman T. Shepherd (Chairman of the Business Council Of Australia until 2014, & currently Chair of the SCG Trust. Very well connected).

Shepherd has provided a rare insight into the AFL HQ's inner sanctum, & revealed its motivations in choosing GWS & GCFC for expansion; & AFL HQ's current evaluation of GWS & GCFC's funding & progress.

Shepherd said

"...they have invested in NSW & Qld, that investment is really paying off now...They will follow their money...The expansion is working...certainly in broadcast terms it is paying off (recognition that broadcasters & advertisers want additional 9th game's content, & a national footprint in all metro markets- my assumption & words)...Participation in NSW has over doubled since the Giants have formed (recognition of crucial importance the AFL places on GR growth in NSW, ACT, & Qld.- my assumption & words). If you can take the AFL to 53% of the population, it is paying off (recognition of great importance to the AFL that it gets reasonable coverage in the NSW, ACT & Qld. MSM: AFL brand & game awareness, in addition to actual viewers of games- my assumption & words).

The AFL is run by very sensible, hard-headed commercial people...They saw the commercial benefits, it is going according to plan. AFL has really taken off in Sydney, there is no doubt about that...in schools...in women...it's cool...I can't believe the transition over the last 5 years towards AFL, it is quite remarkable".

(scroll down to Whateley Program 22.7.20- then go to 10 minutes 30 seconds- 12 mins 50 seconds mark).

This illuminating interview adds weight that, when GWS is regularly obtaining lockout crowds (in 10-20 years), the AFL would be very keen on adding a 3rd team in very influential, huge, & wealthy Sydney.

Last edited:
Ill do something when he does something worth me doing something about. People dont have to agree with us or even like the AFL to be here. Deal with whatever it is he has to say and move on...or ignore him. If you feel strongly about it report it. Its how the system works.

Sorry but i find this a very strange statement from an administrator. To say someone doesn't need to have interest or like for the exact topic that a particular forum exists for, every other administrator on every other forum in the world would call that person a troll and it would be an instant ban.

You received a report ban. Use it properly this time.

I thought I was.
I thought I was acting proactively to prevent the situation that recently occurred.
I now know that the limits on this board don't match that of some other boards.
So yes, it all seems quite pointless.

There is no doubt that Swan Districts have the most passionate set of fans who actually travel in good numbers to other WAFL grounds and Bassendean Oval is grandstand wise similar to many old VFL grounds for crowd capacity.

But if there is ever a third club in Perth i would think the Northern corridor, Freo seems to have sewn up the Southern.

Don't West Coast Eagles dominate the northern corridor right up to wherever it extends to these days? I don't live up there so I'm not completely sure.

Not as Swan Districts, but as a region from Swan Valley through to Armadale.
Port Adelaide were incredibly strong which allowed them entry into the AFL.
The SANFL was incredibly polarised against P.A. so the P.A. AFL club has found it very difficult to grow support in Adelaide.
No WAFL club should be promoted because they all are not strong enough alone and it would be too divisive to grow.
Even the bottom VFL clubs have struggled to maintain market share once they moved from VFL into the AFL.

I agree that the eastern region is probably less committed to Fremantle and (maybe) West Coast too. But it's a huge area with not much in common. Demographically, the Pertb Football Club zone from Victoria Park down to Kelmscott, along the Armadlate train-line, is fairly culturally similar still (although down to at least Cannington has become very multicultural). Would there be enough community identity to bind such a big region (Swan Valley to Armadale) to one team as you suggest? West Coast settling in at Lathlain confuses the issue somewhat too.

Don't West Coast Eagles dominate the northern corridor right up to wherever it extends to these days? I don't live up there so I'm not completely sure.

yes they do, but if a third team eventuates, its gotta be from somewhere and its makes the most sense to me, i don't think you can split south of the river

yes they do, but if a third team eventuates, its gotta be from somewhere and its makes the most sense to me, i don't think you can split south of the river

There is probably not much Fremantle support in the south-eastern corridor but yes, it's not a relatively rich set of areas and West Coast has moved into Lathlain so there's that aspect as well.

PS Maybe it should be in Bunbury? Corporate support might be a problem though.

Last edited:
There is probably not much Fremantle support in the south-eastern corridor but yes, it's not a relatively rich set of areas and West Coast has moved into Lathlain so there's that aspect as well.

PS Maybe it should be in Bunbury? Corporate support might be a problem though.
There's a whole separate thread for this. I've suggested suggested a Swan Valley team in there.

I agree that the eastern region is probably less committed to Fremantle and (maybe) West Coast too. But it's a huge area with not much in common. Demographically, the Pertb Football Club zone from Victoria Park down to Kelmscott, along the Armadlate train-line, is fairly culturally similar still (although down to at least Cannington has become very multicultural). Would there be enough community identity to bind such a big region (Swan Valley to Armadale) to one team as you suggest? West Coast settling in at Lathlain confuses the issue somewhat too.

It is not clear cut at all but only a marketing direction. The Fremantle crowd is quite different to Eagles supporters.
The Dockers were born out of WAFL diehards and disillusioned Eagles fans.
They are better at attracting attracting multi-cultural types and whilst Fremantle identifies with S.O.R they attract from all over.
You're not going to get AFL supporters to jump ship. Maybe a few will appreciate the option of an extra AFL game to attend.
That Eastern corridor was primarily abandoned by the WAFL and the Sunday league ruled that area.
Lathlain certainly does confuse the issue but the new team could be based out of the WACA. or Armadale.
Ultimately any new team has to forge an identity that is attractive to fans.
IMO East of Perth is better than other suggestions that might have be more distinctive but less populous.

Sorry but i find this a very strange statement from an administrator. To say someone doesn't need to have interest or like for the exact topic that a particular forum exists for, every other administrator on every other forum in the world would call that person a troll and it would be an instant ban.

I actually have no problem with people who don't support Australian football contributing to an Australian football forum....even if they are contributing negative posts.

There should be a much higher standard on their conduct and closer watch on their conduct though.

This thread degenerated because a troll was calling people racist just for being a football fan and not accepting un-referenced factual claims as well as spamming the thread with any incident of violence remotely related to football in the last decade. And then a notorious concern troll (which is what he is, whether or not he is oblivious to that fact due to zero self awareness) does the classic concern troll thing and responds to someone who had contested the original troll.

Said concern troll then reports the relatively innocuous responses to him which are deleted and then a "first and final" warning is issued.

That is not a working system.

Last edited:
I actually have no problem with people who don't support Australian football contributing to an Australian football forum....even if they are contributing negative posts.

There should be a much higher standard on their conduct and closer watch on their conduct though.

This thread generated because a troll was calling people racist just for being a football fan and not accepting un-referenced factual claims. And then a notorious concern troll (which is what he is, whether or not he is oblivious to that fact due to zero self awareness) does the classic concern troll thing and responds to someone who had contested the original troll.

Said concern troll then reports the relatively innocuous responses to him which are deleted and then a "first and final" warning is issued.

That is not a working system.
if you don't like my posts, put me on ignore.

bigfooty is the largest sports forum in Australia(I assume). It is going to have a community of sports-loving people who may be here, primary, for other sports. #tennis

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back