A Third Team In Sydney - It's Only a Matter Of Time !!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BringBackTorps

Club Legend
Jan 5, 2017
AFL Club
GWS
1. 7news.com T. Browne 8.12.20

There will be a Review, independent of the AFL & its 18 clubs, "into what footy looks like in decades to come". Will commence in the New Year.

I would hope one of the issues it considers is how the AFL in particular, & GR AF in general, can fully capitalise on the significant GR growth occurring in NSW, ACT, & Qld. since 2012. And should more funding be provided, to increase this momentum.

The Review team will probably have to wait until the full, post covid financial position of the AFL is known (perhaps late 2022) before definitive recommendations can be made, & implemented.

2. NSW AF History Society Nov. 2020

K. Jack gives an overview on his AF exposure from the time he was a young child, & how AF has changed, & greatly improved, in Sydney since 1996.

Jack said

"The Paul Kelly Cup (for Grade 5 & 6 students only, in NSW & ACT) started that year (1996)...I think there were only 50 or so teams. Now there's a couple of thousand competing...(?. AFAIK, only c. 1000 primary schools compete in the P. Kelly Cup. Perhaps he is referring to schools where the AFL runs programs in NSW & ACT)...The size issue wasn't a big factor, but it was part of the decision (to discard playing RL, the game of his famous NSWRL father, Gary. All words in brackets mine).

EDIT:

3. Re the Paul Kelly Cup

"...with more than 15,000 young footballers participating throughout the year" in 2019.

EDIT:

4. AFL full capacity crowds could return halfway into season 2021.

Last edited:

BringBackTorps

Club Legend
Jan 5, 2017
AFL Club
GWS
Fox Sports 12.8.19

"RL Great G. Tallis has joined A. Johns in calling for a relocation of a Sydney NRL team...".

Tallis said re NRL "There's nothing worse when you watch a game of footy, & there's no one there. You get embarassed (re poor match atmosphere, & poor TV "optics/reputational damage" for the NRL).".

A. Johns wants the NRL to "...get it down to say six teams in Sydney? (because Johns believes NRL average skill standards have declined too greatly in a 16 team comp." . (My words in brackets, & emphasis).

Fox Sports 13.8.19 P. Whaley

Whaley said A. Johns & RL G. Tallis want fewer NRL teams in Sydney.

M. Geyer also wants a reduction of Sydney teams. Geyer said

"In 10 years time, one of the Sydney Clubs...won't be there".

A. Johns said a Sydney Club should relocate to Gosford. Whaley said John's views meant he accepts relocation "... would come at the expense of at least one Sydney Club, & up to three".

The imminent introduction of govt. issued compulsory pre-commitment gambling cards (ie gambler nominates to the NSW govt. the maximum they are willing to lose), & banning cash in pokie Clubs for gambling, is almost certain to be introduced in NSW (It also has an Upper House cross-bench majority in favour of LNP Lower House new pokie laws).
This would severely reduce pokie club gambling revenues & profits- & thus represents an existential threat for many Sydney NRL clubs (who rely on major funding from pokie Clubs to survive).

The economic crisis & covid health fears, in Aust. & internationally, combined with high unemployment etc., also places pokie clubs' profits under great pressure; as does the March 2021 likely abolition of JobKeeper (& reduction of JobSeeker payments to the usual levels?).

Last edited:

BringBackTorps

Club Legend
Jan 5, 2017
AFL Club
GWS
1. Balgowlah JFC is in Sydney's NS, on the nthn. beaches. It was formed in 2015. It has had excellent growth, albeit an outlier.

. 2015- 54 Auskickers only, initial start.
. 2018- 150 Auskickers, plus 170 jnr comp. players (inc. 3 girls' teams).
. 2019- 135 Auskickers, plus introduced 3 new U8 teams. Plus a further (ie older> 8 y.o.) 9 boys' teams & 4 girls' teams.
. 2020- 18 teams (plus Auskickers).

(Scroll to December 2020 video)

The significant growth of GR AF in Sydney will eventually result in the addition of a 3rd Sydney AFL team, some time after 2030 (& after GWS has first achieved regular lockout GS crowds).

2. Further info. on growth of Swans' Zone female Academies in NSW; & why NSW females there are choosing AF in large nos.

(Scroll to post#340)

Last edited:

TWLS

Club Legend
Jul 19, 2015
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
GWS Giants
1. Balgowlah JFC is in Sydney's NS, on the nthn. beaches. It was formed in 2015. It has had excellent growth, albeit an outlier.

. 2015- 54 Auskickers only, initial start.
. 2018- 150 Auskickers, plus 170 jnr comp. players (inc. 3 girls' teams).
. 2019- 135 Auskickers, plus introduced 3 new U8 teams. Plus a further older 9 boys' teams & 4 girls' teams.
. 2020- 18 teams (plus Auskickers).

(Scroll to December 2020 video)

The significant growth of GR AF in Sydney will eventually result in the addition of a 3rd Sydney AFL team, some time after 2030 (& when GWS has first achieved regular lockout crowds).

2. Further info. on growth of Swans' Zone female Academies in NSW; & why NSW females there are choosing AF in large nos.

(Scroll to post#340)
On other threads BBT you have mentioned the growth of the NRLW MAY impede the growth of the AFL Womens game in NSW.
Then you mentioned that Vlandys talks about the development budget being cut for the NRL Womens game.
It appears to be a very fluid situation up there so I say any growth at all we will take it.
The shortage of grounds is the biggie up there and that will have a bigger effect long term than anything the NRL does.

RedV3x

It's about time some mods started being fair
Dec 14, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
On other threads BBT you have mentioned the growth of the NRLW MAY impede the growth of the AFL Womens game in NSW.

According to the NSW Ministry Of Sport figures only 16.337 females participate in rugby league.
Official figures put female participation in NSW Australian Rules Football at over 68k.
In fact, according to the NSW Ministry Of Sport figures 170,000 participate in rugby league.
That is lower than Australian Rules Football participation for NSW.
So i don't think the term "impede" is really relevant.

TWLS

Club Legend
Jul 19, 2015
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
GWS Giants
According to the NSW Ministry Of Sport figures only 16.337 females participate in rugby league.
Official figures put female participation in NSW Australian Rules Football at over 68k.
In fact, according to the NSW Ministry Of Sport figures 170,000 participate in rugby league.
Those RL Womens figures are low - But the Senior NRLW 2020 comp had only 4 teams involved. That is 4 Senior teams out of a possible 16 which may be attributed to by the current small base.
The latest info on the NRL web page stated quite clearly that for 2021 the NRLW will be increasing number of games rather than teams at this time. So reading between the lines the numbers are not there yet, and the willingness of the other 12 NRL Clubs to form Womens teams is also just not there, possibly also influenced by the finances of those same clubs.
I presume the figures above are Rugby League only and not Touch.

The figure of 68K for NSW Womens Aussie Rules participation is the first figure I have seen for a while so it is hard to get a handle on it.

RedV3x

Dec 14, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
Those RL Womens figures are low - But the Senior NRLW 2020 comp had only 4 teams involved.

The only official figures out there.

The figure of 68K for NSW Womens Aussie Rules participation is the first figure I have seen for a while so it is hard to get a handle on it.

Actually figures for 2017. i presume it would have gone up drastically since then.

I presume the figures above are Rugby League only and not Touch.

Any sport would like to have the figures for "Touch" but it's a game of keepings-it-off.
The only 'football' in 'touch' is the heal-back which is a pity because it would make things more interesting.

BringBackTorps

Club Legend
Jan 5, 2017
AFL Club
GWS
Yes, I believe growth of the NRLW & female GR contact RL in NSW & Qld. (ditto female contact RU) will diminsh growth of NSW, ACT, & Qld. female GR AF nos. All these 3 sports are in direct competition for females who desire to play a "grunt" sport, requiring courage to play.
IIRC, the 2020 female NSW vs. Qld. SOO rated c. 820k viewers (crowd 10,000); & the NRLW stand-alone GF rated c. 620k+ viewers- I think both Ratings are peak, not average. Both Ratings' nos. are very impressive.

Then you mentioned that Vlandys talks about the development budget being cut for the NRL Womens game.
I never said this.
In fact, I provided a link previously where P. V'landys said he wants more funding for GR female development, because there is insufficient depth in female adult contact RL to have more than 4 NRLW teams, playing 3-4 Rounds, then a GF: female NRLW players said it would be unsafe if more teams & players were added to the NRLW, the depth does not exist yet for the higher degree of NRLW physicality.

I also provided a previous link where the NRLW HQ made redundant, in October 2020, its Female Elite Development Manager!?

The shortage of grounds is the biggie up there and that will have a bigger effect long term than anything the NRL does
The shortage of grounds in Sydney is a big problem- but AFLNSW is lobbying hard for more access to underused facilities & grounds.
RL is AF's major competitor in NSW, ACT, & Qld.

According to the NSW Ministry Of Sport figures only 16.337[Not contact RL] females participate in rugby league.
Official figures put female participation in NSW Australian Rules Football at over 68k.[Not contact]
In fact, according to the NSW Ministry Of Sport figures 170,000[Not contact] participate in rugby league.
That is lower than Australian Rules Football participation for NSW.[? Referring to?]
I disagree with all your figures- can you link them please? They vastly exceed the true no. of Club & School comp. players in RL & AF in NSW.

I assume these figures also include "irrelevant" Gala Days, short term school phys.ed RL & AF training programs programs, community events etc.; &, for RL, also count touch & tag (some RL Clubs have their own tag teams) players as "RL (sic) players".

There are c. 400,000 male & 200,000 female non-contact touch & tag players in Aust. (most are school comp. players)- but, AFAIK, none of these players have ever transferred to the NRL or Super Rugby (without also playing a contact sport as juniors). There is a reason they chose to play non-contact touch & tag!

NSW has more regd. official club & school comp. RL players than official regd. AF players- but, since 2012, AF is quickly closing the gap.
In NSW, AF is dominant, cf RL contact nos., in sthn NSW; & in Sydney's NS, ES, & inner WS, GR AF club & school comp nos. easily surpass GR club & school contact RL nos.

Some historical info. I have been able to quickly obtain. NRL HQ official GR info is often opaque, lacking full details of contact nos. cf non-contact nos.
In December 2017, the total no. of adult female contact RL players all over Australia was c. 1000.

(Scroll to post#40)

In 2018, the world's first female jnr. contact RL comp. began, from U6 upwards, in the Penrith District JRL- attracting c. 800 females (not inc. some who were playing only Club tag). Previously, there were a few teams for older teenage girls in Penrith & Parramatta Districts.

From 2018, there has been significant growth in adult & jnr female contact RL (& RU)- but in FAR lower nos. than you have quoted. Female club & school contact AF nos. in NSW & ACT are FAR greater than female RL contact nos.
It should be noted that many female RL teams in NSW, ACT, & Qld. play with only 8-10 females per team (And female contact RU is often played as contact 7's; or teams playing "traditional" RU, but often with teams of 10 each).

Those RL Womens figures are low[No, vastly inflated] - But the Senior NRLW 2020 comp had only 4 teams involved. That is 4 Senior teams out of a possible 16 which may be attributed to by the current small[Yes] base

If there really were 16,337 females in NSW & ACT playing contact RL, the NRLW would be able to field more than 4 teams!
That no. is wrong- & V'landys has conceded that, whilst he desires a much bigger NRLW, there must be much greater development of junior & snr female GR contact League before they can create more than 4 NRLW teams.

So reading between the lines the numbers are not there yet[Probably not for c.3 years before the NRLW could add a 5th team], and the willingness of the other 12 NRL Clubs to form Womens teams is also just not there, possibly also influenced by the finances of those same clubs.
Most of the NRL clubs seemed luke warm re the NRLW, pre-covid.

And with the covid-financial crisis & post 28.5.20 Rights' reductions, I suspect the enthusiasm will be further diminished for the NRLW- unless the NRL provided more direct funding.

Last edited:

Pippen94

Cancelled
Jun 12, 2019
AFL Club
Sydney

Why are simply comparing RL & afl?? Why is it in your head that these two are in direct competition for female players?!
Both sports pale to soccer & netball in this area

jatz14

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 13, 2011
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth Glory W-League
Why are simply comparing RL & afl?? Why is it in your head that these two are in direct competition for female players?!
Both sports pale to soccer & netball in this area
Sydney can support more than 2 female sports, and AFL, despite all predictions to the contrary, does not seem to have dug into Netball numbers to much. RL and AFL are seen as natural competitors, but I suspect even that is overstated. I dont see all that many plaeyrs that are going to actively chose between the 2.

Soccer and Netball numbers are just irrelevant if your debating the growth of female AFL in Sydney, and RL only slightly less so.

There may be some competition in the future for the best players, but in terms of growth, there is plenty of scope before resorting to the need to take them from other sports.

RedV3x

Dec 14, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
Why are simply comparing RL & afl?!

Because i was answering BBT's claim on the matter which I think is ERRONEOUS.

Why is it in your head that these two are in direct competition for female players?!

If you bothered to read any of my past posts I have regularity said that sports are not in direct competition with each other.
The various sports live and die by there only means.
Women's AFL is extremely attractive to women and is attracting the participation, the ratings and the crowds
and that it is why it is doing so well.

RedV3x

Dec 14, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
Sydney can support more than 2 female sports,.

If we overlook the fact that women's sport generally struggles then there is plenty of room.
AFLW and netball are doing fine. Women's basketball and soccer are established and NRLW exists.

despite all predictions to the contrary, (AFLW) does not seem to have dug into Netball numbers to much.

That does seem to be the case. It might be because a number of women play both.

RL and AFL are seen as natural competitors, but I suspect even that is overstated. .

I disagree. Have you seen the difference between players in AFLW and NRLW .

I dont see all that many plaeyrs that are going to actively chose between the 2.

Australian Rules Football, in simple terms is based more on all-rounder types and thus appeals to a great cross-section of people.
Very few people are going to choose between AFLW and NRLW.
I can see women choosing between AFLW and soccer, netball and basketball
only because AFLW is now an option.
People will see that as 'competition' but as AFLW gets more established women will move straight to the AFLW pathway.

There may be some competition in the future for the best players,.

There is competition between the best players a.t.m. as AFLW is being presented now as an option that they never had before.
As the things get more settled and the pathways become more visible and the standard increases
then there will be much less cross-coding.

RedV3x

Dec 14, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
I disagree with all your figures- can you link them please?.

As I stated NSW Ministry of Sport.

They vastly exceed the true no. of Club & School comp. players in RL NSW..

If you say so.

I assume these figures also include "irrelevant" Gala Days, short term school phys.ed RL training programs programs, community events etc.; &, for RL, also count touch & tag (some RL Clubs have their own tag teams) players as "RL (sic) players".

Yes, counting 'tag' is laughable.
The AFL quotes 'football participation' not one offs.

TWLS

Club Legend
Jul 19, 2015
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
GWS Giants
As I stated NSW Ministry of Sport.

If you say so.

Yes, counting 'tag' is laughable.
There was a news article on the ABC Radio discussing Netball participation in the last 10 years. I came in at the end of it and heard the announcer say Netball Australia is not happy with their participation rates which have fallen RELATIVE to previous years in certain not mentioned age groups.
Nothing said about a solution though.
Two things possibly - Less girls taking up sport and definitely more competition from other Womens Sports in that period.
Have to say Netball had that market to themselves for quite a while - say their first 20 years in existence - except for Soccer, Swimming, Field Hockey.

Pippen94

Cancelled
Jun 12, 2019
AFL Club
Sydney
There was a news article on the ABC Radio discussing Netball participation in the last 10 years. I came in at the end of it and heard the announcer say Netball Australia is not happy with their participation rates which have fallen RELATIVE to previous years in certain not mentioned age groups.
Two things possibly - Less girls taking up sport and more competition from other Womens Sports in that period.
Have to say Netball had that market to themselves for quite a while - say 20 years - except for Soccer and Swimming.

In all honesty traditional participation in sport across world in decline. Somehow afl & it's fuzzy numbers keep going up - go figure

Nov 8, 2000
South of the river
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Peel Thunder
Two things possibly - Less girls taking up sport and definitely more competition from other Womens Sports in that period.
Have to say Netball had that market to themselves for quite a while - say their first 20 years in existence - except for Soccer, Swimming, Field Hockey.

Yeah unless netball can market itself better to men and boys it's going to see consistent falls across its participation numbers over the next decade or 2. Sports that are traditionally majority blokes are going to suck up a lot of the girls that probably would have played netball 10 years ago, but now have plenty of other realistic options where they can play with their mates.

Johnny Bananas

Premiership Player Hater
Sep 10, 2010
Next door
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Netball only exists as a sport because people thought women were too delicate to play basketball properly. It's no loss if its participation dies off in favour of more strenuous sports.

BringBackTorps

Club Legend
Jan 5, 2017
AFL Club
GWS
Because i was answering BBT's claim on the matter which I think is ERRONEOUS.
What is erroneous?

Can you provide (& link) your NSW Ministry Of Sport figures?

It is extremely difficult (impossible?) to obtain official regd. NRL details on the no. of contact RL players in NSW, ACT, & Qld.; ditto, separate nos. for GR RL Club Tag players; & tag & touch school & community (but not part of a RL club) comp. players.
Can you provide these detailed nos.?

Daily Telegraph P. Rothfield 5.7.17

Rothfield said:-

. In 2017 only, in Sydney's WS, RL jnr club contact nos. "has fallen as much as 15%".

. "An unnamed NRL official said 'At this rate, our game will be dead in 10 years' ".

. "Australian Rules appears to be the biggest threat to rugby league in Sydney's west".

. 'The NRL admits that whatever it has tried is not working, as its desperation to hang onto players grows".

. "There are now more (my emphasis) oztag & touch football players than rugby league players in Parramatta".

(This link reinforces the need to have separate, detailed player nos. for Club & school comp. contact RL; & nos. of tag players who in, & are part of, RL Club tag comps. And, also, detailed nos. in tag & touch schools' & community groups' comps.)

(Click on Daily Telegraph link a at top of reddit article for full Rothfield article).

The $100m GR rescue plan that J. Grant wanted was overturned by the NRL Clubs- who were successful in having most of these funds directed to themselves/higher & permanent NRL funding of the Clubs.

Very few people are going to choose between AFLW and NRLW[Disagree]
It is incontrovertible that in NSW & Qld, RL resonates far more strongly than AF.

If a female in NSW & Qld. was considering playing a "grunt sport" that requires courage, then, of course, she would consider playing RL or AF (or RU).

Soccer and Netball numbers are just irrelevant if your debating the growth of female AFL in Sydney, and RL only slightly less so.[Disagree]

In NSW & Qld., very few adult males transfer from GR soccer to AF- probably none, obviously, from GR adult netball to AF.

For NSW & Qld. jnr & snr females, however, very large nos. transfer from GR soccer & netball to GR AF.

The AFL also provides separate nos., in its official regd. figures, for community events etc- which would often include AFL-organised one-off activities.

In all honesty traditional participation in sport across world in decline.
Another lie.

Do you dispute the 2019 World Rugby announcements of GR RU increases, in many countries, I referenced above?
And NZ long term GR soccer & basketball official regd. increases I have previously linked?

2. In 2017, the NRL commissioned a Report into Issues Effecting Rugby League Retention Rates- by Dr W. Usher et al, from Griffiths Uni., Qld.

Many "negative experiences/cultural" problems were identified, fear of injury, coaching dissatisfaction, & general loss of fun/interest in playing contact RL.

The NRL clearly have great concerns re their significant long term male GR contact RL major decline in nos.

Warning- this Report is 126 pages!

Last edited:

Pippen94

Cancelled
Jun 12, 2019
AFL Club
Sydney
What is erroneous?

Can you provide your NSW Ministry Of Sport figures?

It is extremely difficult (impossible?) to obtain official NRL detailed stats on the no. of contact RL players in NSW, ACT, & Qld.; ditto, separate nos. for non-contact GR RL Club Tag players; & tag & touch school & community (but not part of a RL club) comp. players.

. In 2017, in Sydney's WS, RL jnr club contact nos. "has fallen as much as 15%" in 2017 only.

. "An unnamed NRL official said 'At this rate, our game will be dead in 10 years, if kids keep leaving the game at the current rate' ".

. "Australian Rules appears to be the biggest threat to rugby league in Sydney's west".

. 'The NRL admits that whatever it has tried is not working, as its desperation to hang onto players grows".

. "There are now more oztag & touch football players than rugby league players in Parramatta".

(This link reinforces the need to have separate, detailed nos. for Club & school comp. contact RL, & nos. of tag players who in, & are part of, RL Club tag comps. And, also, detailed nos. in tag & touch schools & community groups)

(Click on Daily Telegraph link a at top of reddit article for full Rothfield article).

It is incontrovertible that in NSW & Qld, RL resonates far more strongly than AF.

If a female in NSW & Qld. was considering playing a "grunt sport" that requires courage, then, of course, she would consider playing RL or AF (or RU).

In NSW & Qld., very few males transfer from GR soccer to AF- probably none, obviously, from GR netball to AF.

For NSW & Qld. females, however, very large nos. transfer from GR soccer & netball to GR AF.

The AFL also provides separate nos., in its official regd. figures, community event etc- which would often include one-off activities.

Another lie.

Do you dispute the World Rugby announcements of GR increases I referenced above?
And NZ long term GR soccer & basketball increases I have previously linked?

2. In 2017, the NRL commissioned a Report into Issues Effecting Rugby League Retention Rates- by Dr W. Usher et al, from Griffiths Uni., Qld.

Many "cultural" problems were identified, fear of injury, coaching dissatisfaction, & general loss of fun/interest in playing contact RL.

jatz14

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 13, 2011
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth Glory W-League
In all honesty traditional participation in sport across world in decline. Somehow afl & it's fuzzy numbers keep going up - go figure
It's expanding into new areas, regional and demographic. In traditional areas, it's struggling to hold numbers, like all sports

This is the bit that the "waw waw, AFLW must pay it's way, waw, waw" crowd don't get.

It's not complicated.

On moto g(6) plus using BigFooty.com mobile app

jatz14

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 13, 2011
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth Glory W-League
What is erroneous?

It is extremely difficult (impossible?) to obtain official regd. NRL details on the no. of contact RL players in NSW, ACT, & Qld.; ditto, separate nos. for GR RL Club Tag players; & tag & touch school & community (but not part of a RL club) comp. players.

. In 2017 only, in Sydney's WS, RL jnr club contact nos. "has fallen as much as 15%".

. "An unnamed NRL official said 'At this rate, our game will be dead in 10 years' ".

. "There are now more (my emphasis) oztag & touch football players than rugby league players in Parramatta".

(This link reinforces the need to have separate, detailed player nos. for Club & school comp. contact RL; & nos. of tag players who in, & are part of, RL Club tag comps. And, also, detailed nos. in tag & touch schools' & community groups' comps.)

The $100m GR rescue plan that J. Grant wanted was overturned by the NRL Clubs- who were successful in having most of these funds directed to themselves/higher & permanent NRL funding of the Clubs.

In NSW & Qld., very few males transfer from GR soccer to AF- probably none, obviously, from GR netball to AF.

For NSW & Qld. females, however, very large nos. transfer from GR soccer & netball to GR AF.

The AFL also provides separate nos., in its official regd. figures, community event etc- which would often include one-off activities.

Another lie.

Do you dispute the World Rugby announcements of GR increases I referenced above?
And NZ long term GR soccer & basketball increases I have previously linked?

Many "cultural" problems were identified, fear of injury, coaching dissatisfaction, & general loss of fun/interest in playing contact RL.

I agree, that in female sport there is currently a net transfer to AFL, but in lots of cases, I think it's women that may have played footy from the start, had it been a realistic option.

So, I expect this transfer to slow, as those girls into footy will start playing junior footy, and stay with it, rather than play an alternative, then switch, as the older generation did.

On moto g(6) plus using BigFooty.com mobile app

RedV3x

Dec 14, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
Two things possibly - Less girls taking up sport and definitely more competition from other Womens Sports in that period..

I would say Covid19 has something to do with it.

Have to say Netball had that market to themselves for quite a while - say their first 20 years in existence -

Yes and it's only relatively recently that they have begun to seriously market aspects of their game.
Even if Netball has lost some participation as you suggest to other sports it hasn't impacted the Netball league.
The key indications for Netball (apart from participaton) must be be very good and they're the ones that pays the bills.

RedV3x

Dec 14, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
What is erroneous?

Pay attention. That NRLW can stifle AFLW.
If anything figures would suggest the opposite.

Pat attention. It's the Ministry of Sport NSW.

It is incontrovertible that in NSW and Qld AFLW resonates far more strongly than NRLW.

In NSW & Qld., very few adult males transfer from GR soccer to AF- probably none, obviously, from GR adult netball to AF.For NSW & Qld. jnr & snr females, however, very large nos. transfer from GR soccer & netball to GR AF.

Where's the official figures for those statements huh ?

The AFL also provides separate nos., in its official regd. figures, for community events etc- which would often include AFL-organised one-off activities.

Probably. I wouldn't know but I quoted PARTICPATION which is very different.

Do you dispute the 2019 World Rugby announcements of GR RU increases, in many countries,
And NZ long term GR soccer & basketball official regd. increases I have previously linked?

Do you dispute the 2019 World Rugby announcements of GR RU decreases, in many MAJOR countries,
And NZ long term GR soccer & basketball official regd. increases are in a country the size of an Australian state.
Get real, there has been a plateau or drop-off in major sport in all MAJOR countries.
Minor sport is showing gains but that has to be measured against major sports.

RedV3x

Dec 14, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
I agree, that in female sport there is currently a net transfer to AFL, but in lots of cases, I think it's women that may have played footy from the start, had it been a realistic option.

Anecdotal evidence suggests that.

So, I expect this transfer to slow, as those girls into footy will start playing junior footy, and stay with it, rather than play an alternative, then switch, as the older generation did.

It has already slowed and 2021 will show that it has virtually stopped except for international cross-coders.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back