A Third Team In Sydney - It's Only a Matter Of Time !!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pippen94

Cancelled
Jun 12, 2019
AFL Club
Sydney
The relevance of the national audience is that know that the sydney numbers can only be some fraction of that. It's that sad 🤣

I don't know where you get $30M from, but as the Wookie says the Giants only get an additional ~$15M and that would include AFLW and likely academy funding etc. They also generate about $20M themselves which would be a lot more then the Wanderers

Obviously also that money largely pays players and staff in what are far far larger professional operations than your mickey mouse a league franchises. It is not marketing spend. Though the kicker is, there would be kids who met Coniglio at their primary school in 2012 who are now at university. The same kids would have seen the Wanderers win the ACL around that time and would have worked out how vacuous it all is. That is the awful truth.

So a league is mickey mouse & afl has massive advantage in funding & exposure. Despite this wanderers drew larger crowd this week & have average attendance in Sydney above or about the same most years (I don't even believe showground numbers by will let them stand).
Also, maybe 10k separated games in viewership in Sydney.
Guess I win.

NoobPie

Cancelled
Sep 21, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
So a league is mickey mouse & afl has massive advantage in funding & exposure. Despite this wanderers drew larger crowd this week & have average attendance in Sydney above or about the same most years (I don't even believe showground numbers by will let them stand).
Guess I win.

The only thing you "win" is the misery of living in a country where a sport you loath is the dominant code to the point where you spend hours revealing your suffering on a forum dedicated to it.

Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
Guess I win.

By 1k and let’s remember the weather was a hell of a lot better on the Friday (when it was just kicking off) compared to Sunday.

The rest of your post as usual is rubbish.

10k? Lol where is your evidence?

You have the breakdown of the Foxtel numbers by state?

11k nationally lol

Jul 2, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton

That has been true for years. The worm has truly turned in the Giants favour.

giantscrowds.png

Bullshit. 11k national fox figure v 17k on FTA and you expect me to believe that Fox ratings for the Giants were around 4k our of 128k?

Guess I win.

Guess you be anything if you ignore facts.

Pippen94

Cancelled
Jun 12, 2019
AFL Club
Sydney
That has been true for years. The worm has truly turned in the Giants favour.

View attachment 1084102

Bullshit. 11k national fox figure v 17k on FTA and you expect me to believe that Fox ratings for the Giants were around 4k our of 128k?

Guess you be anything if you ignore facts.

So I was right; difference of only 1500 last count & Wanderers ahead most years. Interesting you ignored Wanderers dipped when they moved east to showground, but you could've brought up covid affected crowds which no doubt someone will.

Jul 2, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton
So I was right; difference of only 1500 last count & Wanderers ahead most years. Interesting you ignored Wanderers dipped when they moved east to showground, but you could've brought up covid affected crowds which no doubt someone will.

its YOY with no qualifying data and when 1500 is 10-15% of your total crowd, its no small amount.

Pippen94

Cancelled
Jun 12, 2019
AFL Club
Sydney
There’s another reason I didn’t switch to the Wanderers from the Skyblues when they came in besides loyalty.
The main part of their supporter group are just teens wanting to act like European hools.

Far more violence among afl crowds but stick to racist line about soccer

NoobPie

Cancelled
Sep 21, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
Please point to where I was racist or even talking about about violence in crowds.

I called your fan base nothing but wannabe tough guys. Nothing more.

Pippen's self awareness is at such a low level he directly confuses his own bigotry with those he is trying to smear

It's possible that "european hools" is a racist term to him

Pippen94

Cancelled
Jun 12, 2019
AFL Club
Sydney
Please point to where I was racist or even talking about about violence in crowds.

I called your fan base nothing but wannabe tough guys. Nothing more.

There's xenophobia implicit in labeling soccer fans hooligans. Greater levels of violence overlooked in afl crowds because game not seen as foreign

Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
There's xenophobia implicit in labeling soccer fans hooligans. Greater levels of violence overlooked in afl crowds because game not seen as foreign

A couple of things here.

No it isn’t xenophobia.

I didn’t label soccer fans hooligans.

I labelled Wanderers fans as wannabe hooligans.

Yes there are violence in all sporting grounds across the country for most outdoor sports including Aussie Rules, Soccer, League and Cricket.

NoobPie

Cancelled
Sep 21, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
Far more violence among afl crowds but stick to racist line about soccer

Is this assertion referring to an absolute number or is it proportionate to crowds?

Because as of Saturday arvo more people would have been through the gate of an AFL match this season than the entirety of the half completed A league season!

Also should there be spatial weighting? Because it's harder to punch someone when there's no-one within 50 metres of you!

And what about interaction with opposition supporters? Because from what I've seen, you can fit the away supporters at most A League games into a couple of Taragos!

Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
Pippen's self awareness is at such a low level he directly confuses his own bigotry with those he is trying to smear

It's possible that "european hools" is a racist term to him

He is a fool.

I used to try and discuss topics with him, but he has shown to be nothing but a football troll terrified of the growth of a new sport in the region over his own beloved sport.

As he is allowed to continue posting in here when he is so obvious about it, I treat him with the contempt he deserves.

BringBackTorps

Club Legend
Jan 5, 2017
AFL Club
GWS
1. The Front Office Podcast 6.7.20

Hosts A. Tallarico (Newtown Jets RL director) & R. Haidar (a teacher in Media Studies, & a RL finance expert; & hosted the former, longstanding podcast series "The NRL Economist")
This excellent RL podcast series, with a focus on economic & strategic issues in the NRL, also interviews RL experts.

K. Mc Craw, President of the South Sydney Jnrs Leagues Club (ie licenced pokies club), said, mainly paraphrasing, the South Sydney District JRL operate as "...a participation & development club" (40 mins. 40 secs- 40 mins.50 secs.).
He implied the South Sydney District JRL is the 3rd biggest DJRL in Sydney, with about "3000" players (club jnrs & snrs, some who only play non-contact tag with the RL club.

Throughout Sydney RL, the term "Junior' is still used, even though these Junior District RL comps. run combined jnr & snr contact RL & tag comps.

Mc Craw also implied Penrith DJRL & Parramatta DJRL are the 2 biggest Sydney comps.

He said kids 5 y.o.- 12 y.o. hardly ever get serious injuries playing RL, but RL insurance costs were up to $200k pa (41 mins. 10 secs. - 42 mins. 5 secs.-Re insurance, I'm not exactly sure what/who he was referring to).
He said the Souths Juniors Leagues Club spent c. $25m over 10 years, $2.5m pa, funding the SSDJRL! Haidar indicated the SSDJRL GR funding was one of the biggest in Sydney.

Mc Craw said many GR players in the SSDJRL come from non-anglo/celtic backgrounds, & some find it difficult, financially, to participate in RL- so they receive financial support (Scroll to 23 mins.30 secs.- 24 mins. 10 secs.)

$2.5m pa is an enormous amount. What will happen to this level of funding if the NSW govt. passes its Poker Machine Losses Pre-Commitment Card legislation (which will slash poker machine revenues)?

K. Mc Craw also said

"A lot of kids (club male contact RL players), by 13 y.o., 14 y.o. or 15 y.o., if they aren't into the representitive programs (elite squads), they give the game away". (Scroll to 34 mins. 20 secs. -34 mins.50 secs.)

Whilst, in all sports, there is a drop-off in their sport from c. 14 y.o- 15 y.o., many MSM RL experts have said this problem is much bigger in RL.
(Refer to the stats I have provided for Greater Brisbane, Ipswich, Gold Coast, Sunshine Coast, & Greater Sydney jnr & snr RL comps.- in Thread "What Are The Chances Of Footy Overtaking RL in NSW & Qld.").

(Scroll to Episode 9.7.20).

The 2020 SSDJRL U11 comp. only had 12 male & female teams, in total. U12 only had 8 male & female teams, in total.
Both very low for Greater Sydney's 3rd biggest District JRL comp....yet Mc Craw, above, said the SSDJRL, in 2020, had c. 3000 players?

From U13 onwards, the SSDJRL teams, due to low player nos., was no longer a discrete comp. It had to join the Combined Conferences comp.- covering various DJRL's around Sydney.

2. G.Mc Lachlan said in a Media Conference on 24.3.21 that the Swans currently have c. 40k members, & Giants c. 25k members ( Throughout Aust., the AFL only counts memberships which cost a minimum of $50. These are excellent nos., cf NSW standards for all other sports).

McLachlan said that the AFL is pleased by the "spectacular" growth in participation nos. in NSW.; & also said Rd.1 viewing nos. in NSW were up 17%, cf the 2015-19 Rd.1 average.

3. Dr H. Fujak has released, on 17.3.21, the Book "Code Wars- The Battle For Fans, Dollars, & Survival"- which examines, in great detail, the 4 football codes in Australia.

This book is the most comprehensive book ever written in Australia, on the relevant strengths & weaknesses (elite, GR, management, strategies, funding, Rights $ etc) of the 4 codes, & their future prospects.
It is hoped some BF readers can obtain the book; & share on BF, Fujak's- & their- views on its contents, analyses, & predictions.

(See my point 2 in this link for further details on some of the topics Fujak covers; & a short Review of the book).

Last edited:

BringBackTorps

Club Legend
Jan 5, 2017
AFL Club
GWS
1. NSW has a population of c. 8.2m. B. Campbell, a young Sydney local, is a salivating example of the AFL riches the AFL will be procuring in the future, in much greater nos., from NSW & ACT.

"Though Braeden's talent is exceptional, described as one of a kind , his story is typical of what the Academy hopes to achieve".

"...B. Campbell's left foot. Labelled by many as as the best kick in the [2020] Draft, & perhaps even one of the best kicks in the competition (! Wow) without having played a game yet...".

"Gone are the days of [NSW local Draftees] being seen only as dogged defenders & taggers. Under the guidance of the Academy, NSW players are becoming as silk skilled as those from the traditional footy states (emphases & words in brackets, mine)".

2. List of the 57 players from NSW & ACT on current AFL Lists.

Last edited:

BringBackTorps

Club Legend
Jan 5, 2017
AFL Club
GWS
1. Pennant Hills local B. Campbell won the Rd 2 Rising Star Award.

2. E. Gulden, only 172cm, but silky skills, is another young Swans' exciting, emerging star- & much lauded in the MSM.
He is a Sydney local who has also been discovered from 10 y.o., & developed in their burgeoning Academy system.
He has a Turkish father: "...a father born overseas with little interest in the [AF] game...". However, his brother & mother's family instilled a love of AF in him.

Both are further examples of the growth of elite talent (& strong GR) that is occuring in NSW & ACT.

3. I am including here Part 2 of the 3-Part Series on "The Development Of Women's Football In Qld.", re extraordinary female AF club & school comp. boom in Qld., by G. Bastiani & K. Fenwick.

Whilst this is not directly relevant on the chances of a 3rd AFL team in Sydney, it is a template of what can reasonably be expected to happen, eventually, in the near future, in Sydney, NSW, & ACT. Female growth there is very strong, but it is not yet no. 2 in Australia for female GR nos., as Qld. is.
When the Swans have their own AFLW team, female growth will be turbocharged.

Part 1 of the Series is here.

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
Lol the two trolls at it again.

One a league boy who should worry about the dodgy finances in the NrL and the other our resident nutter Wanderbaby who is so terrified of the falling aleague being over run he just comes in here to troll.

Must be dull on League HQ and the Rbb forums.

Personally all for some more help with running the finances. Maybe can tighten a few purse strings where its needed.

Interesting take away

GWS received nearly $16 million of that, the third highest of any club behind Gold Coast and St Kilda.

I thought we were the worst.

Jul 2, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton
More problems;

Doesnt read like more problems really. Its certainly not the funding or how much the club makes, its expenditure related, and the club isnt alone in the COLA stakes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back