A Third Team In Sydney - It's Only a Matter Of Time !!

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pippen94

Cancelled
Jun 12, 2019
AFL Club
Sydney
Funny, that's a region where I'd say soccer is least popular.
North Shore is known as the home of rugby union.
Australian Rules Football has been strong on the North Shore since 1903 as a NSWFL founding club.
Of course, rugby league is still strong there.
Remind me again of the powerhouse soccer clubs there.

Northern Suburbs & Manly have among largest player catchment in Australia

BringBackTorps

Club Legend
Jan 5, 2017
AFL Club
GWS
North Shore is known as the home of rugby union.
Traditionally, yes.
However, since c.2012, GR club male contact RU has declined considerably in Nthn Sydney (NS)- Lower North Shore, Upper North Shore/nthn. suburbs, & Nthn. Beaches.

In the elite Shute Shield, & Subbies (Club U19 etc. & adult Club male contact RU, in all areas of Sydney), my understanding is that nos. have declined from c. 12,000+ in the 1970's to c. 6500 contact nos. (inc. females) now- so still strong. The WS have been very weak for jnr & snr Club (& school) RU since at least the 70's.
Also, until c. 1970, RU was played in many govt. primary & secondary schools in Sydney & NSW.

For all areas of Sydney in the 1970's, my understanding is that there were c.10,000+ jnr club contact RU players- mainly NS & ES.

In jnr club RU in NS in 2020, male contact nos. have collapsed- & there are only c. 25 U16-U18 club teams. From U13, Club male contact nos. are also very poor.
Female contact RU (RU 7's -10's mainly) is having significant growth in Sydney's NS & ES, off a small base.

Of course, rugby league is still strong there.
In what sense is RL strong in NS?

There are only about 5 GR RL snr clubs in the whole NS (as above) area- pop. c. 1m +250k- now; & jnr RL clubs also in a massive decline.

No, but a good number.
Which part of Sydney do you believe the majority of Swans' fans come from?

North Sydney Oval is never going to be a top-grade AFL ground though. It's simply not big enough.
Has it ever been suggested the NSO should be enlarged, by using some of the adjoining parkland (without damaging or replacing the old grandstand)?
Likely to be a public backlash if it were to eventuate?

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
Wait, Man City didn't buy in?! It's like renewables investment money is indication of future.

They did and how has the league improved? What amazing players have come and stayed at the club?
What financial benefits?

Nothing. No bigger than when they were heart.

I keep seeing you rocking back and forth on your bed holding your Wanderbaby doll saying “The bad AFL is coming to get me”.

RedV3x

It's about time some mods started being fair
Dec 14, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
North Sydney Oval will never be an AFL venue.

Don't you mean "North Sydney Oval will never be an AFL venue again".
North Sydney Oval has been used as an AFL venue, AFLW venue and SFL venue.
There is plenty of room to expand the oval to AFL standards without touching any buildings
the bulk of which were imported from other stadia like the SCG.

NoobPie

Cancelled
Sep 21, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
Wait, Man City didn't buy in?! It's like renewables investment money is indication of future.

I am still not completely convinced you aren't a brilliant parody account (i.e. rather than a ridiculous soccer troll)

Seriously, eternal kudos to you if you are

RedV3x

Dec 14, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
Traditionally, yes.

And still is....... with reduced strength.

In what sense is RL strong in NS?

A lot of people still follow rl........ at reduced numbers.

Which part of Sydney do you believe the majority of Swans' fans come from?

Swan's fans come from all over Sydney.
Swan's supporters also come from all over Sydney.
SCG attendees tend to come from four main groups - ES, inner WS, Hills and NS.
I don't know the exact breakdown but no one group is going to be >50%.
I know of groups that come from Camden, Parramatta etc.

Has it ever been suggested the NSO should be enlarged, by using some of the adjoining parkland (without damaging or replacing the old grandstand)

The oval was originally larger but reduced for rectangular games orientation.

NoobPie

Cancelled
Sep 21, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
Logic would suggest that soccer acquisitions from O/S are detrimental to Australian soccer - bigtime.

I'm sure they are.

I just think comparing paying SFA for fire sale A league franchises to investment in renewals could easily have been written by someone mocking a deluded soccer fan (rather than something put forward earnestly by a real one)

MC Bad Genius

No, not THAT MC Bad Genius. The other one.
Apr 15, 2008
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
There is plenty of room to expand the oval to AFL standards without touching any buildings
I don't think it's been used for any legitimate AFL premiership games though, which is kind of the point. It's good enough for a preseason match (because it's just a warm-up) for AFLW (due to the shorter average kick in that league) and in the SFL (which is amateurs), but it's simply not big enough for a proper AFL match. I've played on it a few times as a junior and it even felt small for a bunch of teenagers! It's only 135m long, which means that the 7.5m of the centre square will be in each of the 50m arcs.

So they would never major redevelopments to get it to be at least 20 metres longer to be viable for actual AFL matches.
Has it ever been suggested the NSO should be enlarged, by using some of the adjoining parkland (without damaging or replacing the old grandstand)?
Likely to be a public backlash if it were to eventuate?
It can really only be extended in one direction as the southern end is already close to the road. I guess it could maybe squeeze an extra 5m tops, but that'd be a lot of money rather than extending only the northern end (which would have to happen). The problem with extending to the north though is that the iconic tree that overhangs the ground would have to be removed and that would most likely cause a massive uproar. I remember going to Bears matches with my grandfather in the early 90s and it was a feature even back then.

Its really a non-starter.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bjo187

Premiership Player
Apr 30, 2020
AFL Club
Essendon
North Sydney Oval will never be an AFL Venue.

The best you can hope for is some AFLW matches. It is too old(heritage listed parts), small and used already by women's cricket mainly but by rectangle sports as well. It is an ideal ground for women's matches due to its very small size.

Surely the mcg and adelaide oval were heritage listed too and they upgraded the stands. I feel as though an offer for a funded new and updated venue that would be used for the premier sport in australia, plus big bash and state cricket would be a fair carrot for the old timers at the north sydney cricket club board to consider.

May 4, 2009
Tasmania
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Furth
See MC Bad Genius wonderful post above. Outlined everything I would have said and meant when I said AFL and the issues with its size.

Surely the mcg and adelaide oval were heritage listed too and they upgraded the stands. I feel as though an offer for a funded new and updated venue that would be used for the premier sport in australia, plus big bash and state cricket would be a fair carrot for the old timers at the north sydney cricket club board to consider.
why though. What is the point of spending all that money on something which is perfect for what it is right now. Lets be honest, It is the spiritual home of women's cricket in this country. It also hosts popular local sports. It just got an upgrade as well, which was basically to allow them to keep doing what they are doing,

Just because there is an oval there, doesn't make it the right fit for AFL. It would just be cheaper to build elsewhere and start from scratch.

Seedsfan

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 10, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
North Sydney Oval should become the home of the Australian Women’s cricket team. It’s a small ground and perfect for them. You see the ridiculous length they have to bring the rope in at the main grounds.

Bjo187

Premiership Player
Apr 30, 2020
AFL Club
Essendon
See MC Bad Genius wonderful post above. Outlined everything I would have said and meant when I said AFL and the issues with its size.

why though. What is the point of spending all that money on something which is perfect for what it is right now. Lets be honest, It is the spiritual home of women's cricket in this country. It also hosts popular local sports. It just got an upgrade as well, which was basically to allow them to keep doing what they are doing,

Just because there is an oval there, doesn't make it the right fit for AFL. It would just be cheaper to build elsewhere and start from scratch.

Where else in north sydney do you think has potential as a better option then?

Bjo187

Premiership Player
Apr 30, 2020
AFL Club
Essendon
You'd only be getting rid of one stand by the looks, wouldn't affect the main entry or the tree and could just turn the new area into a grass hill. The cost would be minimal but the income from an increase in sports with paid for entry would be significant.
20210414_180758.jpg

NoobPie

Cancelled
Sep 21, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood

The spiritual home of women's cricket is surely the place where the world record crowd for women's sport was established

Aussie in exile

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 21, 2013
AFL Club
Melbourne

It is not happening
It still might. Nothing is certain yet either way at the moment in appears

Established1870

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 28, 2016
Tigris River
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Baghdad Bombers
Any potential third NSW side should be in Newcastle and the one after that should be in Illawarra/Wollongong. Aside from Tassie and Canberra, the only places that make sense for more expansion are NSW/QLD because they have the population for more sides and regions that with enough investment could become hotbeds for footy. These places also have varying levels of success in other national sporting leagues and they are on the doorstep of the biggest city in Australia so it's not comparable to giving a team to Dubbo or Coffs Harbour.

Wouldn't expect to see either happen any time soon but they're the most bankable areas to build teams in for NSW because putting more teams in Sydney just cannibalizes the Swans and Giants whereas taking the AFL regional gives the game more reach for supporters and future players. And geographically it works too because you'll cover north, south east and west with each side.

RedV3x

Dec 14, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
Mar 4, 2015
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Central Districts
The question for mine is will another nursery in NSW gain an interest when the Giants experiment already shows that no matter how much future talent you fill it with, as soon as they prove their worth they get poached.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back