A Third Team In Sydney - It's Only a Matter Of Time !!

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maitland is 35kms NW of Newcastle. The Maitland Saints FC home ground, Max McMahon Oval, is to have new facilities etc., costing about $3m. Its oval will also become as big as the MCG.

newcastleweekly.com.au stated, on 12.4.22

"The oval currently has limited facilities, even though thousands of people make use of the grounds each month".

hunternews.com.au stated

"Max McMahon Oval currently has limited facilities but is highly utilised by local primary and high schools, Maitland Saints Australian Football Club and the Rutherford Little Athletics Club.

It is also the only ground that can host AFL matches in the Maitland, and the local participation rates across both AFL and cricket has seen significant growth in recent years, with female participation also rising.

The upgrade will involve knocking down the existing clubhouse and constructing a new grandstand, team social room, timekeeping room, change room facilities, canteen, toilets and storage facilities".

The oval is adjacent to a high school & primary school, & "thousands of people...each month" use the ground- it can be expected that the replacement of the current very delapidated AF facilities, with a much more attractive building, grandstand, & facilities etc., will attract many more GR AF players in future years.

AF is a small sport, currently, in the Newcastle/Hunter region, pop. 450k+. Female GR club AF is having strong growth in the area since 2017, with 17 adult female AF teams (inc. from Central Coast), & many more jnr female AF teams.

Last edited:
The Maitland Saints FC home ground, Max McMahon Oval, is to have new facilities etc., costing about $3m. Its oval will also become as big as the MCG.

These articles you post are nice but shouldn't they be in a thread about general progress of AFL in NSW.
It doesn't have anything directly related to a third AFL side in Sydney.

These articles you post are nice but shouldn't they be in a thread about general progress of AFL in NSW.
It doesn't have anything directly related to a third AFL side in Sydney.
It is still more relevant than your constant pot-shots at almost every single post he makes.

The Swans are obviously killing it off field, but the way the Giants are going (in particular their embarrassing crowds), it is more likely that there will be one team in Sydney (Giants to Canberra) in 10/20/30 years, rather than three.

The Swans are obviously killing it off field, but the way the Giants are going, it is more likely that there will be one team in Sydney (Giants to Canberra) in 10/20/30 years, rather than three.

The importance of onfield success demonstrates itself yet again.
The Swans have a phenomiinal finals appearance record and really should draw more considering past attendances.
GWS was finally on the right road and was derailed by onfield efforts, yet they still outperform some NRL clubs.
IMO NM are more of a candidate for Canberra.

The Swans are obviously killing it off field, but the way the Giants are going (in particular their embarrassing crowds), it is more likely that there will be one team in Sydney (Giants to Canberra) in 10/20/30 years, rather than three.
Despite the many 10's of millions the AFL has pumped into GWS they appear as popular as cancer.
Would they be any more popular in Canberra? possibly.

Despite the many 10's of millions the AFL has pumped into GWS they appear as popular as cancer.

So i guess that you're saying a number of NRL clubs are popular as cancer as well.
Despite the many 100's of millions the NRL has pumped into Sydney the NRL continues to struggle.

So i guess that you're saying a number of NRL clubs are popular as cancer as well.
Despite the many 100's of millions the NRL has pumped into Sydney the NRL continues to struggle.
GWS have had 10's of millions pumped into them in a very short time and no obvious benefits.
Look at the lengths Melbourne clubs go too when they are at home to GWS to try and get a half decent crowd in.
GWS was the brain child of Fat Andy for his ego, and we are all aware of what's happened to the Fat Man since
GWS is a huge financial blackhole for the game and always will be. Financially it would have been better to bring a club in from Tassie or Canberra than them and just as good TV deal nor perhaps even better.
Wake up an smell the coffee there isn't going to be a 3rd AFL team in Sydney in my lifetime or yours.

GWS have had 10's of millions pumped into them in a very short time and no obvious benefits.
Look at the lengths Melbourne clubs go too when they are at home to GWS to try and get a half decent crowd in.
GWS was the brain child of Fat Andy for his ego, and we are all aware of what's happened to the Fat Man since
GWS is a huge financial blackhole for the game and always will be. Financially it would have been better to bring a club in from Tassie or Canberra than them and just as good TV deal nor perhaps even better.
Wake up an smell the coffee there isn't going to be a 3rd AFL team in Sydney in my lifetime or yours.
I've no doubt that you would've said there'd be no second team in Sydney for years and years too.

GWS have had 10's of millions pumped into them

FFS , how many times are you going to mention this and ignore
GWS and the GC were underwritten by the extended media rights.
Already GWS are bigger than some NRL clubs.
So you are saying there are a lot of NRL clubs that are a waste of space.
I'm not saying there are a lot of NRL clubs that are a waste of space.
You are saying there are a lot of NRL clubs that are a waste of space.

Which rugby league clubs are GWS bigger than and by what metric?

I've no doubt that you would've said there'd be no second team in Sydney for years and years too.
Propped up by $20 million plus a year and barely treading water. Just think if that money had been spent on junior development or think of the return the game would got from having a team in Canberra

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Propped up by $20 million plus a year and barely treading water. Just think if that money had been spent on junior development or think of the return the game would got from having a team in Canberra

Quote Reply

Report Edit Delete

Quote Reply

Report Edit Delete

There is no way gws are bigger than any nrl club. In fact they would be smaller than most a league clubs.

There is no way gws are bigger than any nrl club. In fact they would be smaller than most a league clubs.

dude thats just not true. Sponsorship revenue alone is bigger than most Aleague clubs total revenue.

As a football club, GWS revenue is inline or better than most NRL clubs. The only difference with most is pokie revenues.

Last edited:

Quote Reply

Report Edit Delete
I'm always saying NRL is a waste of space.

dude thats just not true. Sponsorship revenue alone is bigger than most Aleague clubs total revenue.

As a football club, GWS revenue is inline or better than most NRL clubs. The only difference with most is pokie revenues.

I'm referring to supporter base. I know gws get big sponsorship, it's because they are playing in the biggest competition in Australia and from the biggest city in Australia.

Supporter wise they have 3k fans they get to home games as a maximum, crowds above that are all opposition supporters. I have a lot of knowledge around their membership numbers and fans. Look at the forum on here it has about 12 fans. Look at their Facebook page, after a game you get about 15 comments and only about 20 percent of them are actually from people that live in Sydney, most are footy fans from other states. On top of that their tv ratings are next to non existent in Sydney. Gold coast suns Facebook page has about 4x the comments traffic and they are seen as a tiny club. Don't get me wrong I actually like gws, but it is astounding how little interest and fans they have 10 years in.

I'm referring to supporter base. I know gws get big sponsorship, it's because they are playing in the biggest competition in Australia and from the biggest city in Australia.

Supporter wise they have 3k fans they get to home games as a maximum, crowds above that are all opposition supporters. I have a lot of knowledge around their membership numbers and fans. Look at the forum on here it has about 12 fans. Look at their Facebook page, after a game you get about 15 comments and only about 20 percent of them are actually from people that live in Sydney, most are footy fans from other states. On top of that their tv ratings are next to non existent in Sydney. Gold coast suns Facebook page has about 4x the comments traffic and they are seen as a tiny club. Don't get me wrong I actually like gws, but it is astounding how little interest and fans they have 10 years in.

Covid screwed them a bit, but they were doing relatively well beforehand.

In 2019, the Giants' average Sydney crowd was above all but two A League teams (and not that far off Sydney FC). Compared to the NRL in 2019, the Giants also had higher Sydney crowds than Manly, Cronulla and St George, and pretty on par with Penrith (also ahead of the Titans).

GWS doesn't have the rusted on supporter base, so the crowds didn't come flooding back. The support is there though and they'll be alright if they can tap back into it (playing more games in Sydney would help).

GWS have bigger memberships than most NRL clubs.
GWS have just under the NRL home attendance average and more than some clubs.
GWS have well over the NRL away attendance average.
When you consider that GWS don't have the luxury of high visiiting team fan numbers like how
most NRL attendances are bolstered by having two Sydney teams fan bases - the GWS is doing really well.

Last edited:

GWS have bigger memberships than most NRL clubs.
GWS have just under the NRL home attendance average and more than some clubs.
GWS have well over the NRL away attendance average.
When you consider that GWS don't have the luxury of high visiiting team fan numbers like how
most NRL attendances are bolstered by having two Sydney teams fan bases - the GWS is doing really well.

I've been to giants stadium myself when Essendon played there, giants fans were outnumbered 5 to 1. Their average attendance looks better from away fans attending games and the Sydney derby each year. As I said I like the club and follow them almost as my second team, but to say they are doing well off field isn't accurate. They would be a major concern for the AFL how little penetration they have made into the western sydney area despite being a very good and watchable team over 10 years.

Here is an example of their Facebook page, the main post after a cracking game against the bulldogs. 65 posts? And a lot of the posts are from not giants fans interstate that liked the team page like myself. There would not be any other professional male sports team in Australia with that little amount of posts straight after a game.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220630-111430_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20220630-111430_Facebook.jpg
    300.4 KB · Views: 28
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back