A thread on politics- have some balls and post

Remove this Banner Ad

Thank god!.......glad it was YES, but I suppose we will be inundated in the news and tv with all the weddings. ......got to the stage where we were sick of hearing about it and all the nastiness that went with it from both sides.

...and hopefully the Victorian taxpayers wont have to fork out for counselling and time out for distressed public servants now that the survey results are known.

Another one of Daniels brilliant ideas.

I think any four million blank forms statement is going to be wrong anyway.

3,278,260 did not vote.

Nationally there was about 32,000 incorrect votes, as announced in the press conference at 10 AM.

That still doesn't add up to four million.

don't think it was compulsory. I never voted and haven't hd any warnings about fines so far. Maybe still to come?

I think it was 4 million non-votes.

It wasn't compulsory.

Well there is obviously a reason behind it.

The reason being that the number is clearly wrong. Basic math and logic is your friend here.

There were 15.8 million enrolled voters in December last year. Another 700k supposedly enrolled in the lead up to the survey.

About 12.7 million votes yes or no which means for that 4 million statistic to be accurate, that means literally everyone (and even more) that didn't vote yes or no sent their form back. This is obviously not the case.

Your dying on a very odd hill here. Ceebee likely got given a wrong stat incorrectly claiming non-votes as returned blank forms. It happens.

The reason being that the number is clearly wrong. Basic math and logic is your friend here.

There were 15.8 million enrolled voters in December last year. Another 700k supposedly enrolled in the lead up to the survey.

About 12.7 million votes yes or no which means for that 4 million statistic to be accurate, that means literally everyone (and even more) that didn't vote yes or no sent their form back. This is obviously not the case.

Your dying on a very odd hill here. Ceebee likely got given a wrong stat incorrectly claiming non-votes as returned blank forms. It happens.
Yeah ok, I'm dead.

Morons. You have to wonder why they go to so much bother to send the thing without voting at all. Brains of a chicken.

Yeah it's silly. I'm not against them protesting the unnecessary survey by not participating, but wasting taxpayer money by sending it back is stupid.

It's the same with people who write fake candidates or political messages on their ballot forms. The electoral commission counters abd scrutineers aren't passing these messages on to anyone, they just get thrown in the informal vote pile and ignored.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

When you're polling the whole country you're going to get the full spectrum...

Blank or spoiled votes weren't even the worst of it...

https://www.perthnow.com.au/news/wa...envelopes-ng-3eb870f821aee4598c0107003308d69e

Yep, brains of a chicken. The scary part is that more and more simpletons like those idiots are out and about in the community and do have to vote in the proper elections.

If they don't agree with something and don't get their own way, they seem capable of anything these days.

Maybe it is just the fact that I am constantly disappointed by voting outcomes in Australia but, despite the constant polling suggesting otherwise, I still braced myself for either a No vote win or a really marginal Yes result which did not give a clear mandate. This has restored some faith in the people of this country.

It'll all happen now. The Liberal members who are socially progressive have the requisite imprimatur to support a Same Sex Marriage Bill. The ALP is already on Board. As long as we don't get caught up in a prolonged s**t fight around the margins of what's in the Bill, then we'll see the outcome the people voted for pretty quickly.

Feel a little hollow to be honest...The result sat about where I thought it might... people who are polled often give misleading answers for any number of reasons... but I had hoped to see a slim yes vote across all electorates. None the less it's reassuring to see that Qld isn't as backward as some would have us believe.

What's really interesting to me is the number of Labor electorates that voted strongly No. After a bit of quick surfing (so I stand to be corrected) it appears to me apart from a few rural Qld seats, every other No seat was Labor. We often think the Liberal hierarchy are out of touch but that must seriously concern the Labor leadership to see their support base so badly split between being socially progressive and the complete opposite. Oh to be a major party at the moment.

But to be honest I'm just glad that parts over. The public scrutiny and division will hopefully quickly die again and it will get left to the invested and passionate to work out the legislation. Those few voices who were of division will hopefully no longer be heard.

Thank you to those who showed acceptance, tolerance and understanding. Thank you for your support... it's humbling. It's hard to express the relief of not being seen as lesser.

And thank you to those who might not have agreed with the outcome but conducted themselves with passion but civility. You have my respect and admiration.

Feel a little hollow to be honest...The result sat about where I thought it might... people who are polled often give misleading answers for any number of reasons... but I had hoped to see a slim yes vote across all electorates. None the less it's reassuring to see that Qld isn't as backward as some would have us believe.

What's really interesting to me is the number of Labor electorates that voted strongly No. After a bit of quick surfing (so I stand to be corrected) it appears to me apart from a few rural Qld seats, every other No seat was Labor. We often think the Liberal hierarchy are out of touch but that must seriously concern the Labor leadership to see their support base so badly split between being socially progressive and the complete opposite. Oh to be a major party at the moment.

But to be honest I'm just glad that parts over. The public scrutiny and division will hopefully quickly die again and it will get left to the invested and passionate to work out the legislation. Those few voices who were of division will hopefully no longer be heard.

Thank you to those who showed acceptance, tolerance and understanding. Thank you for your support... it's humbling. It's hard to express the relief of not being seen as lesser.

And thank you to those who might not have agreed with the outcome but conducted themselves with passion but civility. You have my respect and admiration.
Probably not a big concern to labour. There has always been a socially conservative portion of the economic left. In the fifties and sixties it was ba santamaria and the conservative Catholic lobby. Now it probably sits in western Sydney.

On HTC 2PS6200 using
BigFooty.com mobile app

Probably not a big concern to labour. There has always been a socially conservative portion of the economic left. In the fifties and sixties it was ba santamaria and the conservative Catholic lobby. Now it probably sits in western Sydney.

On HTC 2PS6200 using
BigFooty.com mobile app

Yeah. I don't think Labor will be surprised or bothered by those figures. While many Labor supporters voted no, I doubt many of them would see it as an issue that would actually sway their vote in a Federal election. And for the small minority who do, there might be just as many votes up for grabs coming the other way from young Liberal voters with a socially progressive mindset.

What's really interesting to me is the number of Labor electorates that voted strongly No. After a bit of quick surfing (so I stand to be corrected) it appears to me apart from a few rural Qld seats, every other No seat was Labor.

Two LNP, one Katter, two Liberal, 12 Labor.
We often think the Liberal hierarchy are out of touch but that must seriously concern the Labor leadership to see their support base so badly split between being socially progressive and the complete opposite. Oh to be a major party at the moment.

I don't think Labor really cares - those seats are some of the safest in the nation. It just shows that most people never let a party's same sex marriage position affect their vote. They're more interested in stuff that affects their lives.

The 'NO' campaign went hard with outright propaganda at the NESB groups in Western Sydney, as far as the data I've seen immigrant communities are more likely to vote for the more immigrant-friendly Left parties but have more "traditional" views in social settings.

I think you'll find that particularly around western Sydney, no voting Labor seat will have a high Asian or Muslim population. Traditionally those tend to vote Labor based on social and worker policy, but are also culturally/religiously less likely to support gay marriage. They probably make up a greater proportion than I thought. For Queensland, none of the 'no' voting electorates belong to Labor. Predictably, they were the regional areas.
At a glance, many of the 'no' voting Labor electorates also had a very strong turnout from the oldest voters (65+ yo). Old school workers who support the workers but aren't what you'd call 'progressive'. Being a Labor supporter doesn't automatically mean you're a hippy. The party stands for many things, but not all supporters believe in all those things. Blue collar workers' rights is quite different to cultural tolerance for example.

FWIW Sydney CBD and a number of the northern suburbs' electorates all contain substantial Asian populations while also recording some of the strongest "yes" votes. There wasn't a strong correlation between the two.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back