Whilst the world runs to ruins.

Where is your anarchy, people?
Where is the desire to live as YOU?

We are lost, and seeking a prophet.

And the truth
Is in YOU.

Remember who you WERE
And that person will guide you.

The frustrating thing about politics in Australia at the moment is the constant & incessant call for someone with vision and strength and balls to lead the country. If only we had someone with courage blah blah blah.

The problem becomes of course, that that person by definition is polarising and it almost certainly follows they are defeated. Regardless of your politics, we saw it first hand with Newman.

We've got ourselves to blame for a populist, social media aware politic who rightly fear retribution for delivering anything harder than changing the colour of a logo despite the punishers calling for it in the first place.

The frustrating thing about politics in Australia at the moment is the constant & incessant call for someone with vision and strength and balls to lead the country. If only we had someone with courage blah blah blah.

The problem becomes of course, that that person by definition is polarising and it almost certainly follows they are defeated. Regardless of your politics, we saw it first hand with Newman.

We've got ourselves to blame for a populist, social media aware politic who rightly fear retribution for delivering anything harder than changing the colour of a logo despite the punishers calling for it in the first place.

Agreed - As some one once said "People get the Government they deserve."

Almost more depressed about this election than I am about footy. Neither of the two main parties are presenting a vision for the future and at the same neither has a realist and honest economic policy.

Fortunately I live in an electorate where voting Green has some traction.

Midnight Oil reunion - "How can we sleep when refugees are burning?"

In another forum someone made mention of the fact that Midnight Oil were reported to be reforming. When I first heard this I was really excited. For me Midnight Oil were the summer soundtrack to my life in the early to mid 80's. Midnight Oil were University, driving my HQ Holden to the beach, sunshine, beer, protest rallies, People for Nuclear Disarmament and land rights for aboriginal people. I would say that Midnight Oil were the most relevant Australian Band of the 80's by a very long way (no apologies to fans of Cold Chisel or AC/DC). Midnight Oil were a brilliant pub rock band. I saw them live at what was the Sentimental Bloke Hotel in Bulleen just before the release of 10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1 and they were sensational. When they played at Melbourne Uni Student Union in the mid 80's the EXCITEMENT was incredible and I have never experienced anything like it since. It was packed and crazy. 'Deisal and Dust' is the greatest Australian Album of all time, beating 10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1 by a short half head. Then there was the closing ceremony of the 2000 Olympics which was so Rock and Roll and flipped a bird to John Howard.

But that was then and this is now. The problem I have with them now is that it will be hard to reconcile their left wing humanist posturing with the fact that as a Labor Party hack, Peter Garrett supported the permanent detention of Refugee Asylum seekers in concentration camps on Nauru and Manus Island. Not very cool that. Never mind "how can we sleep when our beds are burning?" How can we sleep when reugee asylim seekers are deliberately damaged as a matter of government policy and are so disturbed the are setting themselves on fire. Perhaps Peter Dutton or Scott Morrison will join Peter Garrett on stage as special guest vocalists, after all they have spent years singing from the same song sheet.

I will probably go to see Midnight Oil if they tour again and while I will be listening with my ears, I won't hear them in my heart as I once did.

I got something that can help you hear them in your heart again ;). But seriously I agree Midnight Oil easily the best Aussie rock band there was. Australian Crawl a close second. I tell you what I am just stoked I can finally see one of my all time favorite bands live for the first time and seriously underrated post had a good laugh at the last quip.

I got something that can help you hear them in your heart again ;). But seriously I agree Midnight Oil easily the best Aussie rock band there was. Australian Crawl a close second. I tell you what I am just stoked I can finally see one of my all time favorite bands live for the first time and seriously underrated post had a good laugh at the last quip.

It must be a hard decision for a leftie. Do you continue to howl at the moon or do you sacrifice a few ideals to (potentially) do more good than you could have with the Greens or an independent. I'd argue it probably didn't work out how he wanted to - I've been meaning to read his autobiography as I'm sure it would document the struggles he faced.

As for the band, I'm not sure whether I'd go to see a reunion show. A couple of their gigs (one particuarly at the Calamvale which left me with tender ears for 3 days afterwards) has contributed significantly to my tinnitis.

Given Scotland's vote, I expect/hope an independent Scotland within two years seeking EU admission.

I'm stunned by the numbers in Wales. They basically live on the EU credit card.

The Trump campaign will be watching with interest. Seems that angry irrational people will happily vote against their own interests just to stick their middle finger up at the status quo.

The Poms have never gotten over losing the Empire and now their true superiority complex is coming to the fore. Just when you thought they couldn't become any more insular, this.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

BBC has called it. It's over.

FTSE opens in just over 3 hours. Brave yourselves.

Nigel Farage apparently claims that a vote for leave will result in Britain leaving the EU 'without a bullet being fired'.

Proving that extraordinarily insensitive comments are not limited to AFL club presidents.

I'm stunned by the numbers in Wales. They basically live on the EU credit card.

Fair amount of anecdotal evidence suggesting the Tories' scheduling of this vote only a couple of months after general elections in both Wales and Scotland is depressing turnout of the less passionate, e.g. the more likely Remain voters.

This is why you don't leave important foreign and domestic policies to the whims of populism, especially when you've been using the EU as a foreign bogeyman for domestic political purposes for decades.

Ah well, apart from the racists they'll all end up regretting it.

Nigel Farage apparently claims that a vote for leave will result in Britain leaving the EU 'without a bullet being fired'.

Proving that extraordinarily insensitive comments are not limited to AFL club presidents.

He didn't mean it like that, he meant important bullets like the ones shot between men in the great world wars.

It was just a heat of the moment banter thing.

Fair amount of anecdotal evidence suggesting the Tories' scheduling of this vote only a couple of months after general elections in both Wales and Scotland is depressing turnout of the less passionate, e.g. the more likely Remain voters.

Funniest/grimmest thing about it is that the overwhelming majority of near-pension age people voted to leave, and with the likely huge hit their economy will take those pensions will certainly fall hard. Serves them right.

Idiotic decision by the British people. More particularly, it seems by the traditional Labour voting working class in the large towns.

It seems also that the UK equivalent of Far Right "Hansomism"has played a significant role in creating an atmosphere of paranoia and xenophobia,

Take this youse immigrants !!!!!.............this'll learn ya to come here and try and steal OUR jobs!!!

Talk about cutting your nose off to spite your face.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back