A thread on politics- have some balls and post

Remove this Banner Ad

Yep, that kind of sentiment is not uncommon down here either. More first generation than second generation though. Most second generation are basically no different politically to anyone else in their 20s or 30s.

Postal and pre-poll votes trending towards the Liberals as expected but they have a bit of ground to make up.

They need 6 of the remaining 8 in-doubt seats to win government. Labor currently ahead in 5/8 of those.

Hung parliament looking increasingly likely. Will make the Speakership interesting too.

My worse case scenario of a hobbled together, ultra conservative minority govt is just days away in all likely hood. I had somewhat delusional hopes that Turnbull might have harnessed some the Labor right to lead a progressive govt in his heyday but that faded quickly as time went on and the election was called.

It's really been 150 by elections. Labors 2nd lowest primary and a huge rise in the "right" vote. No real pattern to it... once again my seat has become marginal and retaken by Labor because of a huge One Nation vote. I'd like to hope that's a result of disillusionment with the majors as opposed to genuine appeal. This is going to become more and more common. Like Europe we'll end up governed by odd sod coalitions of parties and the public will wonder why.

I've seen people justify donkey votes the last few days and it infuriates me. If you are a genuine idiot and waste your vote thats bad enough. If you claim to be smart enough to not actually want to vote for anyone that's worse. Participate. People die for this privilege.

Don't know what will be worse in the days to come. A govt formed by a liar or one formed by a disappointment. Either way if its compromised and unstable we lose. And I'm not sure we can afford too right now.

Does anyone else but me see the irony of the "Independents" holding sway in not only one House of Parliament but probably both?

Last time this happened, Julia won them over with a few "folders". From memory there were only three that time (Oakeshott, Windsor and Katter) who in essence formed a bloc to guarantee the passage of legislation through the Lower House. In doing so they informally (but practically) formed the Independent "Party".

Irrespective of which of Malcolm or Bill comes up with the most attractive "folder" this time, we're almost certainly going to get another Independent Party holding the balance of power.

So good work voters.....collectively we have created one hell of an oxymoron.................the Independent Party.................

No Katter stayed out of the bloc... his support was for Abbott.

It's ironic that both parties made such a big deal about not forming minority govt - even as far as signing declarations saying that wouldn't side with minors to do so...

No wonder people are cynical. This inevitable and most likely necessary step will just be seen as another lie when in reality it just has to happen in some form at times like this for "stable" govt. In the end, the goal of this game is to form govt... all the chest beating and hand on heart bs will simply fade away with the chance to implement own agendas.

Not sure if this goes in the media thread or the politics thread, but ain't this guy a former BL board member:

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/sh...t/news-story/d573c844710e8d54d89975c3d24963e8

(and sorry if this has already been covered in the thread. I haven't read it, because quite frankly my Election has gone soft after so many weeks.....)

Shorten’s right-hand man quits after ‘putting noses out of joint’
d573c844710e8d54d89975c3d24963e8

EXCLUSIVE SAMANTA MAIDEN, The Daily Telegraph
an hour ago
Subscriber exclusive

LABOR Leader Bill Shorten has paid tribute to his chief of staff Cameron Milner who has quit after the ALP’s better that expected performance on election night.

“Cameron made a commitment to me work for the campaign - he’s done a great job,” Mr Shorten said.

“ More than anyone, I understand how hard it is being away from your family, so I understand his decision. He leaves with my best wishes.”

In another sign the Labor Party expects Malcolm Turnbull will be able to form a majority government or with independents, Mr Milner is understood to have told ALP chiefs he plans to quit for family reasons.

The Queensland campaigner is credited with helping Mr Shorten come within a whisker of winning the election but has told colleagues he cannot continue to do the job from Brisbane.

He also ruffled feathers, insisting on TV advertisements in the dying days of the campaign targeting Malcolm Turnbull’s honesty using an edited quote — even after Mr Shorten came under fire for it.

Opposition Leader Bill Shorten with his chief of staff Cameron Milner. Picture Kym Smith
The Sunday Telegraph published claims at the weekend that he flatly denied as baseless that he had offended a young staffer working at the ALP HQ by texting her to invite her to dinner.

It also emerged that the ALP had agreed to pay a babysitter to help the Shorten family juggle the pressures of the election campaign despite the fact that he earns over $360,000.

Mr Milner said the arrangement was signed off by ALP secretary George Wright.

On the weekend, Mr Milner said while he may have “put some people’s noses out of joint’’ but said the text message claim was a baseless smear.

Mr Milner last night confirmed he planned to return to the private sector.

“When I took the job I gave everyone a commitment until the next campaign,’’ he told The Daily Telegraph.

Shorten’s right-hand man Milner will return to a career in the private sector.
“I stepped away from a very successful business career to get Bill Shorten elected.

“Now the campaign is over I plan to return to the private sector and I wish Bill and the Labor Party all the best in the future.’’

Mr Milner angered some elements of the NSW Right when he forced former ALP secretary Jamie Clements to stand down over sexual harassment allegations.

He also infuriated supporters of Wayne Swan when he suggested he should “do the right thing” and resign last year.

Not sure if this goes in the media thread or the politics thread, but ain't this guy a former BL board member:

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/sh...t/news-story/d573c844710e8d54d89975c3d24963e8

(and sorry if this has already been covered in the thread. I haven't read it, because quite frankly my Election has gone soft after so many weeks.....)

Shorten’s right-hand man quits after ‘putting noses out of joint’

EXCLUSIVE SAMANTA MAIDEN, The Daily Telegraph
an hour ago
Subscriber exclusive

LABOR Leader Bill Shorten has paid tribute to his chief of staff Cameron Milner who has quit after the ALP’s better that expected performance on election night.

“Cameron made a commitment to me work for the campaign - he’s done a great job,” Mr Shorten said.

“ More than anyone, I understand how hard it is being away from your family, so I understand his decision. He leaves with my best wishes.”

In another sign the Labor Party expects Malcolm Turnbull will be able to form a majority government or with independents, Mr Milner is understood to have told ALP chiefs he plans to quit for family reasons.

The Queensland campaigner is credited with helping Mr Shorten come within a whisker of winning the election but has told colleagues he cannot continue to do the job from Brisbane.

He also ruffled feathers, insisting on TV advertisements in the dying days of the campaign targeting Malcolm Turnbull’s honesty using an edited quote — even after Mr Shorten came under fire for it.

Opposition Leader Bill Shorten with his chief of staff Cameron Milner. Picture Kym Smith
The Sunday Telegraph published claims at the weekend that he flatly denied as baseless that he had offended a young staffer working at the ALP HQ by texting her to invite her to dinner.

It also emerged that the ALP had agreed to pay a babysitter to help the Shorten family juggle the pressures of the election campaign despite the fact that he earns over $360,000.

Mr Milner said the arrangement was signed off by ALP secretary George Wright.

On the weekend, Mr Milner said while he may have “put some people’s noses out of joint’’ but said the text message claim was a baseless smear.

Mr Milner last night confirmed he planned to return to the private sector.

“When I took the job I gave everyone a commitment until the next campaign,’’ he told The Daily Telegraph.

Shorten’s right-hand man Milner will return to a career in the private sector.
“I stepped away from a very successful business career to get Bill Shorten elected.

“Now the campaign is over I plan to return to the private sector and I wish Bill and the Labor Party all the best in the future.’’

Mr Milner angered some elements of the NSW Right when he forced former ALP secretary Jamie Clements to stand down over sexual harassment allegations.

He also infuriated supporters of Wayne Swan when he suggested he should “do the right thing” and resign last year.
Yes. And the description in the article is spot on;
The Queensland campaigner

plebiscite time!!!!!! cant wait to get that out of the way so real issues can actually be talked about.

$180m for a vote that will have literally no effect as there's no binding effect on MPs and some have already acknowledged they won't abide by it.

Quality policy. Regardless of your stance on the issue, this half-baked concept should be regarded as stupid.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I am f***ing ashamed to be Australian, when racism like this appears in a national broadsheet and it barely raises a ripple.

http://www.theage.com.au/national/i...in-the-australian-racist-20160804-gqkub9.html

I have watched Australia go from bad to worse over the last 20 years on issues of human rights, cultural diversity and inclusion, but now it seems flat out racism of the most base kind is quite acceptable in our media.

Decades of LNP dogwhistling to racists and the far right, coupled with the supine acquiescence of the ALP on any matter of basic principle has led us to where we are today. With open racists in Federal Parlament and Facists on the streets.

Disgusting.

I am f***ing ashamed to be Australian, when racism like this appears in a national broadsheet and it barely raises a ripple.

http://www.theage.com.au/national/i...in-the-australian-racist-20160804-gqkub9.html

I have watched Australia go from bad to worse over the last 20 years on issues of human rights, cultural diversity and inclusion, but now it seems flat out racism of the most base kind is quite acceptable in our media.

Decades of LNP dogwhistling to racists and the far right, coupled with the supine acquiescence of the ALP on any matter of basic principle has led us to where we are today. With open racists in Federal Parlament and Facists on the streets.

Disgusting.
These things are meant to shock dude. Bit OTT reaction. I'm sure The Australian made plenty of $$$ from it.

The publisher got what he wanted out of it. He got the shock value and with it he got people talking about the indigenous issues at hand such as substance abuse, higher incarceration rates and in actually a lot of situations a total disregard for any form of decent parenting... we can't just keep brushing this under the carpet while calling everyone racists as this is actually counter productive in the long term as the general public become less inclined to speak out in fear of being labelled racist. I'll be surprised if even 90% of the public that have shouted down the publisher have actually experienced a remote indigenous township.

It's a very victim blamey way of looking at the issue which reinforces stereotypes and normalises racist attitudes. It's been proven that gross inequality is the main reason for the conditions and social problems in remote communities but putting the blame on the culture and individuals makes it easier to gloss over and lowers public support for initiatives that actually make a real difference. Politicians who make the decisions have access to the research but are prone to making decisions based on the weight of public opinion (common sense is such an oxymoron) because that's the way they save their jobs. We should stop giving air time to arseholes with opinions instead of experts who are trained to be objective.

It's a very victim blamey way of looking at the issue which reinforces stereotypes and normalises racist attitudes. It's been proven that gross inequality is the main reason for the conditions and social problems in remote communities but putting the blame on the culture and individuals makes it easier to gloss over and lowers public support for initiatives that actually make a real difference. Politicians who make the decisions have access to the research but are prone to making decisions based on the weight of public opinion (common sense is such an oxymoron) because that's the way they save their jobs. We should stop giving air time to arseholes with opinions instead of experts who are trained to be objective.
I agree with nearly all of this but at the same time if indigenous issues aren't brought forward to the public attention in media publications do you really think the politicians would do anything? They have been happy to sweep it all under the carpet for decades now. Out of sight, out of mind? They can have all the research in the world but acting on it is another thing...

I agree with nearly all of this but at the same time if indigenous issues aren't brought forward to the public attention in media publications do you really think the politicians would do anything? They have been happy to sweep it all under the carpet for decades now. Out of sight, out of mind? They can have all the research in the world but acting on it is another thing...

There is a split between politicians who really want to do something and those that think they are indigenous issues that only the indigenous community has the capability to pull themselves out of. As the research was done and more information comes to light about the true causes of these situations it is only ideology that gets in the way.

It was horrible wasn't it, poor little mite:'(.......and the saddest part of all is that he isn't the only one suffering.

..I see this morning, they don't know where the little fella's parents are either.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back