A thread on politics- have some balls and post

Remove this Banner Ad

I cannot wait for that Trump press secretary of Trump to be a candidate. Finishing in the top 2% of Harvard Law school means she will be able to handle her self but no one will care what she says.

The big political issue, apart from the question is American democracy falling apart, is all about her fake eye lashes. Would she still have then if she was the candidate? There would be plenty of Fake eyelashes, fake (add your own bit in here)

I've heard this discussed a few times over the years. It'd be nice if it could happen, because steel production creates a lot of jobs and it would add value to our exports. The problem is, $100bn is an eye-wateringly high amount of investment. That's the same as it'd cost for a bullet train between Brisbane-Sydney-Canberra-Melbourne, or two NBNs, or 15 Snowy Hydro 1.0 schemes, or 33 Clem7s. And all those things have numerous benefits for consumers and industries, whereas this railway would probably have no purpose other than for enabling steel production. That'd be an awful lot to gamble on something that could still end up costing more than imported steel.

I noticed when looking at the comments section that many of the most-liked ones suggest the Greens would prevent it happening. That seems like pretty misdirected blame, seeing as the Greens have no issue with railway construction or steel manufacturing (and before someone says they're anti-coal, they're only against new thermal coal production, not metallurgical coal), and they don't have the balance of power anywhere outside the ACT assembly, let alone majority control. This project would fail on economic grounds, not environmental ones. Sounds like many Newscorp readers have been conditioned to use the Greens as the scapegoat for everything they think is wrong with the world.

Shaking my head at the Trump Campaign bussing hundreds of supporters to a rally at an airfield in the middle of nowhere in Nebraska, then leaving them all stranded, freezing for hours afterwards, some needing hospitalisation.

Someone is getting fired for that one.

I've heard this discussed a few times over the years. It'd be nice if it could happen, because steel production creates a lot of jobs and it would add value to our exports. The problem is, $100bn is an eye-wateringly high amount of investment. That's the same as it'd cost for a bullet train between Brisbane-Sydney-Canberra-Melbourne, or two NBNs, or 15 Snowy Hydro 1.0 schemes, or 33 Clem7s. And all those things have numerous benefits for consumers and industries, whereas this railway would probably have no purpose other than for enabling steel production. That'd be an awful lot to gamble on something that could still end up costing more than imported steel.

I noticed when looking at the comments section that many of the most-liked ones suggest the Greens would prevent it happening. That seems like pretty misdirected blame, seeing as the Greens have no issue with railway construction or steel manufacturing (and before someone says they're anti-coal, they're only against new thermal coal production, not metallurgical coal), and they don't have the balance of power anywhere outside the ACT assembly, let alone majority control. This project would fail on economic grounds, not environmental ones. Sounds like many Newscorp readers have been conditioned to use the Greens as the scapegoat for everything they think is wrong with the world.
would rather support growth industries such as green hydrogen or chemical storage (such as large scale batteries) instead. Australia well positioned to be world leader in both... just need political will and funding - much the sameness. Would make a lot more sense economically and would employ many more people with those industries instead. Will go a long way to help with the slow shift towards carbon neutrality by international Governments as well.

Besides, no way does northern Australia have the capacity to even power these smelters. The bloke has no idea how much energy smelters actually use it's insane amounts and northern Australia does not have the infrastructure to support these industries... if we had green hydrogen hub based off the ARE it could be possible going forward but once again will cost billions to implement.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was watching a Griffith University analysis video prior to the election. They suggested that in crisis or big ticket item elections, people don't bother with minor parties, instead swinging behind one of the majors. This election was both of those things, and it was true to form. Greens and KAP did well in their geographic heartlands, but One Nation don't really have one so they suffered.

Unfortunately, I think ON will bounce back a little in 2024 if it's just a normal election without a pandemic occurring. People will vote for minors again.

Whats your success rate picking election results ?

Picking elections is always hard, particularly tightly contested ones which could go either way because voters haven't made up their minds. Not to mention that in the US, you have FPTP, which can skew the vote even more one way or the other. Also, you can get the popular vote right but the actual result wrong - more so in the US, but it has happened here (1998 federal election).

Also I wouldn't even bother picking electorates in this country, because the sample size is too small, plus people in different seats vote in different ways for different reasons. Not to mention the eternal question of how big the swing will actually be.

The things I learnt from 2019:
1) Don't read too much into polls.
2) Look for common trends that allowed all election winners to get up.

It is like a zombie that continues to stagger around causing mayhem but may this be the beginning of the end for that awful cynical hate-filled party.

Heard that before .... reality is the party does represent a group pf people. their are cynical hate filled people everywhere & across all parties.
Not i 've never voted for them ....

Don't know if this has been raised before here but well played Anastacia Palaszczuk on her election win.

Tapped into the parochial nature of the electorate perfectly by relentlessly pushing the "keeping Queenslanders safe" button.

If you want to win an election in Queensland , just make it an Us versus the Rest of Australia thing.

Straight out of the Joh Bjelke -Petersen playbook.

The more things change the more they stay the same.

Don't know if this has been raised before here but well played Anastacia Palaszczuk on her election win.

Tapped into the parochial nature of the electorate perfectly by relentlessly pushing the "keeping Queenslanders safe" button.

If you want to win an election in Queensland , just make it an Us versus the Rest of Australia thing.

Straight out of the Joh Bjelke -Petersen playbook.

The more things change the more they stay the same.

Ditto WA & Charlie Court.
What is a bit different is Mr Court was listed in the phone book & answered the phone. He was the architect of the iron ore industry in the Pilbara.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back