A thread on politics- have some balls and post

Remove this Banner Ad

Hard to be disappointed by Biden, he is the exact feeble, milquetoast neoliberal plodder I expected.

And from where we have come from, what a ******* relief.

I don’t argue with the Trumpists anymore. Futile. For me it is just a combination of morbid fascination and pity at this point. Most cults we deconstruct in hindsight, but this one we continue to watch in the present tense.

Hard to be disappointed by Biden, he is the exact feeble, milquetoast neoliberal plodder I expected.

And from where we have come from, what a ******* relief.

I don’t argue with the Trumpists anymore. Futile. For me it is just a combination of morbid fascination and pity at this point. Most cults we deconstruct in hindsight, but this one we continue to watch in the present tense.
Like Trump said he could shoot someone in the street in broad daylight and his followers would still make excuses for him.

His own lawyers try to avoid prosecution by saying no one would be dumb enough to actually believe the election was rigged.

But still, the zombie army marches on in make-believe land.

Didn't hear anything when I played it. My PC speakers are pretty crappy though. Was there anything there?
Some bloke interjected with a gruff voice muffled by a mask apparently

Apparently that bloke has now apologised for making the dog noise
I still think we need a royal commission to know if that sound was a Chihuahua with a sore throat or a recently castrated Alsatian

I still think we need a royal commission to know if that sound was a Chihuahua with a sore throat or a recently castrated Alsatian
Don’t know if the term “recently” is what I’d use, more likely “should be” is the way I’d think of it.

Wasn't sure where to put this but placed it in this thread. I think it'd be a great idea, parkland, affordable housing and a full-sized Aussie Rules oval.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wasn't sure where to put this but placed it in this thread. I think it'd be a great idea, parkland, affordable housing and a full-sized Aussie Rules oval.
How does affordable housing work?

Would get a massive amount of backlash from the Bulimba, Balmoral area. It’s not an affordable housing area and I think they will kick up a massive stink.
And if it was bought for $63m 2 years ago, it would be worth a lot more now.

Nah, disagree. Not a big fan of messing with natural markets. On that point I don't agree with any foreign ownership of land / properties in this country, and I also think negative gearing should be scrapped.

Give the Greens credit though, they're pretty savvy with their ideologies to get candidates elected in capital cities. They focus on where they know their market lies.

It's just like regular housing, except it's cheaper.
Well played....

I assume you have to pass a certain set of criteria to rent or buy? I know in NYC they have many apartment buildings that require owners to have combined incomes below a set figure to purchase. I can imagine this can be exploited though and am curious how that is managed. Renting these places would make it easier to manage, but then who owns them? Government or investors? Maybe I should do some googling.

Well played....

I assume you have to pass a certain set of criteria to rent or buy? I know in NYC they have many apartment buildings that require owners to have combined incomes below a set figure to purchase. I can imagine this can be exploited though and am curious how that is managed. Renting these places would make it easier to manage, but then who owns them? Government or investors? Maybe I should do some googling.

That's the problem isn't it. The mega wealthy have the means to manipulate, exploit & bypass regulations.

As a general rule their accountants & lawyers are better paid & qualified than those that work in the public sector.

That's the problem isn't it. The mega wealthy have the means to manipulate, exploit & bypass regulations.

As a general rule their accountants & lawyers are better paid & qualified than those that work in the public sector.

Indeed. I guess the idea is to provide other options to social housing. Better than nothing I suppose. Would be tricky to regulate of course.

Indeed. I guess the idea is to provide other options to social housing. Better than nothing I suppose. Would be tricky to regulate of course.

From what I read in the article I don't think it was going to be converted to social housing or housing commision / housos, moreso we'll cherry pick a few lower paid feel good industries & let those workers purchase a house below true market value.

"You don't solve the housing crisis by handing over public land to property developers to build luxury homes," Mr Bandt said.

"You solve the housing crisis by taxing billionaires to fund the construction of good quality homes and then selling them to nurses and teachers for $300,000."

Damn straight, that's how you solve the housing crisis. lol.

I really hope he's being taken out of context there.

Nah, disagree. Not a big fan of messing with natural markets. On that point I don't agree with any foreign ownership of land / properties in this country, and I also think negative gearing should be scrapped.

Give the Greens credit though, they're pretty savvy with their ideologies to get candidates elected in capital cities. They focus on where they know their market lies.
The reason the housing market is like it is is that successive governments have spent unimaginably vast sums of taxpayer money artificially inflating the prices.

Can you elaborate?
Negative gearing
First Home Owners Grant
Discounted CGT on property sales
First Home Owners Grant Boost
First Home Saver Accounts

A mix of direct cash injections with tax discounts on investing in property relative to investing in productive segments of the economy.
The campaign to allow super for purchases fits in - yet another way to throw yet more pretax income into the housing market.

(this is, to be fair, supplemented by all sorts of hideous planning decisions. but still, also, a lot of money).

From what I read in the article I don't think it was going to be converted to social housing or housing commision / housos, moreso we'll cherry pick a few lower paid feel good industries & let those workers purchase a house below true market value.

"You don't solve the housing crisis by handing over public land to property developers to build luxury homes," Mr Bandt said.

"You solve the housing crisis by taxing billionaires to fund the construction of good quality homes and then selling them to nurses and teachers for $300,000."

Damn straight, that's how you solve the housing crisis. lol.

I really hope he's being taken out of context there.
Nurses and teachers aren’t low income workers.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back