A thread on politics- have some balls and post

Remove this Banner Ad

The looming appetite for a 3rd party is becoming more and more apparent. Savvy marketing directed at 16-25 year olds over the next 3 years could see the Greens become a legitimate 3rd option for government within 10 years. SCARY!

The looming appetite for a 3rd party is becoming more and more apparent. Savvy marketing directed at 16-25 year olds over the next 3 years could see the Greens become a legitimate 3rd option for government within 10 years. SCARY!
Either that or the Teals becoming a new version of the democrats or something in the middle

The main ads that ran past me were a series with the catch phrase of 'It won't be easy with Albinese' ... I get that it is pithy and rhymes but I did think it was a bit of an own goal as it carried with it the assumption that Albinese would win (ie it was not 'it wouldn't be easy if he got in but it won't be easy when he does)

Such a self-own by the LNP abandoning any sense of the sensible centre so they could piss around around with religious discrimination bills that most people didn’t want and embracing cynical divisive identify politics by preselecting bad-faith single issue wedge candidates like Deves.

Should have spent more time acknowledging basic scientific consensus on climate change and avoided the teal slide.

Now they have stuffed their best chance to fix the mistake with a very electable moderate in Frydenberg out of a job. They went in all in on regressive ugly cynical conservatism, well they deserve an ugly regressive cynical conservative leader in Dutton.

I thought that it was likely that the LNP would lose Brisbane given its demographics (lots of under 30's) and I definitely thought that Ryan was a chance, given that anti-ON/ScoMo sentiment was very strong there.

The Greens should be very happy with their efforts.

In QLD generally, I expected significant 2PP swings given the cost-of-living issues, but not big seat changes - I sensed simmering dislike for ScoMo in the suburban areas, but not the loathing that I saw in inner-city Brisbane, plus Albo = Beazley.

I had hoped for more from Longman given that what I had heard indicated that ScoMo was quite unpopular up there, but there was barely a swing there at all. The ALP did well to drag Flynn back as much as they did, but it was a 'coalie' seat and so I never thought that it would fall. Dickson and Leichardt panned out roughly as I expected.

I voted at a polling booth in Ryan. The Greens volunteers outnumbered Labor 3 to 1. There wasn't a single LNP volunteer there. I couldn't believe it and realised then that an upset was on the cards.
Same with Griffith. Voted on a Tuesday lunch’ish in the pouring rain, and there would have been 20 greens volunteers, 2 lib, 2 or 3 Labor and 1 AUP.

From the car park to booth door you were engaged in a running conversation by the greens.

Last edited:
I'm relatively neutral about politics (in that I have have no ties to any party) and can't abide people who support parties like they're a football team. My main bugbear is corruption and graft in politics. So, when the coalition dropped it (not that I seriously considered they were serious about it) for a religious discrimination bill and the moment representatives for our local LNP member tried to talk their way through this farce was precisely when they had no choice of winning my vote. I've no doubt some ALP figures will get found out at some stage, the more the merrier. Politics has for too long been a nice on-the-side money-spinner for shifty types.

I saw people pre-election bemoaning the fact a candidate can receive 30% of the vote compared to another on 40% and still win. Preferential voting is what helps keep our country from descending into the mire of American-style politics and while our country is far from perfect, one of things I love about it is that who we don't want to represent us is as important (if not more so) than who we do want. While that sounds like a negative thing, it's exactly the kind of balance that helps us out.

But I don't get the hate on Albanese. The inferiority complex of those who worry about what we look like to other countries should be less of a concern compared to what we're actually like to ourselves and others.

I'm relatively neutral about politics (in that I have have no ties to any party) and can't abide people who support parties like they're a football team. My main bugbear is corruption and graft in politics. So, when the coalition dropped it (not that I seriously considered they were serious about it) for a religious discrimination bill and the moment representatives for our local LNP member tried to talk their way through this farce was precisely when they had no choice of winning my vote. I've no doubt some ALP figures will get found out at some stage, the more the merrier. Politics has for too long been a nice on-the-side money-spinner for shifty types.

I saw people pre-election bemoaning the fact a candidate can receive 30% of the vote compared to another on 40% and still win. Preferential voting is what helps keep our country from descending into the mire of American-style politics and while our country is far from perfect, one of things I love about it is that who we don't want to represent us is as important (if not more so) than who we do want. While that sounds like a negative thing, it's exactly the kind of balance that helps us out.

But I don't get the hate on Albanese. The inferiority complex of those who worry about what we look like to other countries should be less of a concern compared to what we're actually like to ourselves and others.
You look at the States and you are so thankful that we have preferential voting, mandatory voting and that the election is run by the impartial and independent AEC.

You look at the States and you are so thankful that we have preferential voting, mandatory voting and that the election is run by the impartial and independent AEC.
Yes, yes, and yes. Regularly.

The AEC, preferential voting and compulsory voting are the three hidden gems in Australia’s system of government that most looking from the outside wouldn’t immediately see. Any Australian with even a passing knowledge of our system understands their importance.

I have explained to quite a few people from other places over the years and they are surprised that we have it and then once they understand it, wonder why it isn’t more common.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The AEC, preferential voting and compulsory voting are the three hidden gems in Australia’s system of government that most looking from the outside wouldn’t immediately see. Any Australian with even a passing knowledge of our system understands their importance.

I have explained to quite a few people from other places over the years and they are surprised that we have it and then once they understand it, wonder why it isn’t more common.
Talking to Americans they can't believe compulsory voting, they seem to get upset about preferential voting so hard, but they do generally love the idea of the AEC.

The other thing is voting on a weekend instead of a Tuesday.

If the Liberal Party plagiarised the Green policy platform without telling anyone, most people would call it sensible, evidence-based policy.

Scandinavian countries would almost consider it borderline conservative.

If the Liberal Party plagiarised the Green policy platform without telling anyone, most people would call it sensible, evidence-based policy.

Scandinavian countries would almost consider it borderline conservative.
Even the UK Tories have probably 50% overlap with the Greens.

Now that Labor have a majority government lets see how they go introducing the NACC.

If it doesn't have retrospective powers I'm going to be pissed.

Eddie Obeid could do with some company.
You mean the ICAC?

Pretty sure Labors ICAC plan said it could go back 15 years

Hope its up and running by the end of the year as they said it would be. Boy do we need it

You mean the ICAC?

Pretty sure Labors ICAC plan said it could go back 15 years

Hope its up and running by the end of the year as they said it would be. Boy do we need it

Potato potaato, I thought it was the National Anti Corruption Commission. I don't care what we call it. Lets do it & make it as far reaching as possible. ;)

Potato potaato, I thought it was the National Anti Corruption Commission. I don't care what we call it. Lets do it & make it as far reaching as possible. ;)
Haha I hadn't heard it called that before. Then when i googled it, I was pretty sure you weren't talking about the Northern Agricultural Catchments Council :p

Im certainly in favour of that. I think once it does get set up they will be very busy for quite some time

Haha I hadn't heard it called that before. Then when i googled it, I was pretty sure you weren't talking about the Northern Agricultural Catchments Council :p

Im certainly in favour of that. I think once it does get set up they will be very busy for quite some time

Unfortunately, I think there's about a one in a million chance it will have retrospective powers.

Unfortunately, I think there's about a one in a million chance it will have retrospective powers.
I'm quietly confident it will have retrospective powers. But maybe that's because I actually have hope for this government to do things

Remove this Banner Ad

Back