A TISM question

Remove this Banner Ad

Indeed. The Save Our TISM gig where you got interviewed was my favourite.

I still think your interview should have made the final cut as well :thumbsdown:

To add to my favorite TISM gigs - I saw them at the Prince of Wales in StK on their 'Best of' tour and they played 'Morrison Hostel' and the country & western version of 'Defecate on My Face'. The only time I ever saw those two songs played in over 30 gigs.

Jimbo, boy, you're a crock of s**t
You're a boozed, selfish thug
Why don't you give your mouth a go
And in the other hole put a plug.......

Gold :thumbsu:

volcboy said:
...they played 'Morrison Hostel' and the country & western version of 'Defecate on My Face'. The only time I ever saw those two songs played in over 30 gigs.

On that topic, have you seen them perform other seldom-performed songs on stage?

On that topic, have you seen them perform other seldom-performed songs on stage?
I've seen Morrison Hostel, the Country and Western version of Defecate on My Face, I was at the Big Day Out in '93 when Ron did the rant against Jeff Kennet, I saw them play my personal favourite song of theirs Play Mithral for Me a couple of times. I'm pretty sure I've seen them play It's Novel, It's Unique, It's Shithouse and Let's form a Company also.

When I first started seeing them, they used to play some of their very early tracks like Root, The Back Upon Which Jezza Jumped and Mistah Elliot - He w***er quite often. Later on they'd only play Death Death Death from their early stuff.

I've seen them play almost everything off Great Truckin' Songs, with I Drive A Truck and Fosters Car Park Boogie being particularly amusing.

Lillie Caught Dilley Bowled Milli Vanilli used to get a good run early on before vanishing for later shows - classic song. It's a shame they went on 'indefinite hiatus' soon after writing 'TISM Are s**t', because that was quite an amusing tune.

I saw them play my personal favourite song of theirs Play Mithral for Me a couple of times.

Mistral?

This track is a personal favourite of mine as well. I like the line, "Elle Macpherson is really a person but don't tell the guy who buys the calendar" in particular.

An earlier version of this tune titled "You're Only As Good As Your Fans" would also be good for the stage.

I'd like to see TISM perform "Jesus Pots The White Ball". I love a good crescendo.

Yeah, I shouldn't post when I'm tired.

This track is a personal favourite of mine as well. I like the line, "Elle Macpherson is really a person but don't tell the guy who buys the calendar" in particular.
Kurt Cobain couldn't deal with fame but at least he didn't score an own goal against Columbia.

Maybe we shouldn't hate Collingwood or blame religion on JC. Or marvel at the racist kids who love Public Enemy.

It's a quality and funny song that makes a good point.

I'd like to see TISM perform "Jesus Pots The White Ball". I love a good crescendo.
I think I saw them perform this in the early 90's. Mind you, it's all fairly scratchy due to being drunk at every gig I went to in those days.

The following verse is from "Got A Root Out Of It".

Go buy yourself a Beamer, bud - ain't no-one that you're foolin'
when you say you like 'em because of their precision toolin';
Some people become rockstars; some Command-in-Chief.
The end's the same if not the means - go ask a Catholic priest.

(Got a root out of it)

RHB probably has this cranking during his morning commute ;)

They didn't make major inroads over this way until 1995. Saw them play a launch gig for makiavelli and couldn't believe the madness of it. Only saw them two more times after that, at the Big Day Out in 96 (those inflatable wigs!) and 2005 which I think may have been the last time (could have been 2004), they had an inflatable castle. There is of course the one time they were on Rage and picked clips like the opening theme to the 7.30 Report.

TISM *Bows*

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I remember them doing Saturday Night Palsy on Hey Hey it's Saturday in the mid 80's. It started out with just the band but as the song went on there were more and more dancers on stage until by the end there were people everywhere.

Not long after that my brother bought the casette of Great Truckin' Songs of the Renaissance.

Some moments of TISM gold

[youtube]Hr67Jp2Ylx0[/youtube]

[youtube]Ijx_tT5lCDY[/youtube]

[youtube]Vt8rIXEvL4c[/youtube]

[youtube]psOt2wpjAtI[/youtube]

I still think your interview should have made the final cut as well :thumbsdown:

To add to my favorite TISM gigs - I saw them at the Prince of Wales in StK on their 'Best of' tour and they played 'Morrison Hostel' and the country & western version of 'Defecate on My Face'. The only time I ever saw those two songs played in over 30 gigs.

Jimbo, boy, you're a crock of s**t
You're a boozed, selfish thug
Why don't you give your mouth a go
And in the other hole put a plug.......

Gold :thumbsu:

Was there for that one, i've only seen em a half dozen times, but I have a mate who has seen them at least 20 and he too said it was the only time he'd ever seen them do that.

I've heard on good authority that Bob Starkie (Bongo in Skyhooks) played with them in the early days. He also use to run the venue (name escapes me) they played a lot. Tony Biggs (RRR presenter) also sang with them on occassion.
I saw them more times than I care to remember but a stand out show was at the Palace in 95 when RHB told the "new" fans of TISM to "Get ****ed":D and the encore was "For those about to rock we salute you" complete with three members handballing a footy to each other.
I've got everything they ever did on CD but my most prized posession is the banned Ken Dome T-Shirt. It never got sold at gigs or in shops.

Leaping Lindner said:
I've heard on good authority that Bob Starkie (Bongo in Skyhooks) played with them in the early days.

He definately earned his spot on Jung Talent Time!

Bongo Starkie...

Leaping Lindner said:
I've got everything they ever did on CD but my most prized posession is the banned Ken Dome T-Shirt.

That's priceless. Reckon you could post up a pic of the shirt for visual delight? 'would love to see it.

How have I missed this thread until now??

I saw TISM a total of 15 times between Homebake 2001 (an amazing show -- yellow suits and giant balloons) and their second-last-ever gig at the Hi-Fi in November 2004. Travelled up to Sydney three times in that period and didn't miss a gig in Melbourne... the "secret" warm up shows at The Tote and the Corner were highlights, as was the amazing Save Our TISM gig.

ROOT! played their last show at Yah Yahs in August, but Humphrey B Flaubert AKA DC Root AKA Damian Cowell has a new project set to launch soon called The DC3. More info here: http://twitter.com/DC3DamianCowell

I'm 22, and while I wasn't old enough to appreciate them in their prime, I'm certainly a TISM fan now. Perusing the song titles of their discography on my computer (I've got pretty much everything they recorded) never fails to make me laugh. The steely-eyed determination shown by Ted Whitten Snr on the cover of 1991's Gentlemen, Start Your Egos EP always raises a smile for some reason too. Some personal favourite song titles include:
  • "If You're Creative, Get Stuffed"
  • "The Foster's Car Park Boogie"
  • "The Penis Is Mightier Than the Sword"
  • "I s**t Me"
  • "Doug Parkinson Sings Christie Allen"
  • "And the Ass Said to the Angel, "Wanna Play Kick to Kick?""
  • "The Mordialloc Road Duplicator"
  • "Kevin Borich Expressionism Part 1, Part 2 and Part 4"
  • "I Don't Want TISM, I Want a Girlfriend"
  • "We Are the Champignons"
  • "It's Novel. It's Unique. It's Shithouse."
  • "Kill Yourself Now and Avoid the Rush"
  • "The Back Upon Which Jezza Jumped"
  • "Lillee Caught Dilley Bowled Milli Vanilli"
  • "If You're Ugly, Forget It"
  • "Jesus Pots the White Ball"
  • "Never Mind the Bollocks, Here's the House of Representatives"
  • "What Nationality Is Les Murray?"
  • "Play Mistral for Me"
  • "Jung Talent Time"
  • "My Brilliant Huntington's Chorea"
  • "The Apology of the Thai Drug Runner"
  • "Julius Seizure (Act III Scene ii Verses 73-118)"
  • "Rebel Without a Paunch"
  • "The Only Thing Stopping Me from Being Happy Is That I'm Not More Depressed"
  • "The Parable of Glenn McGrath's Haircut"
  • "I Might Be a ****, But I'm Not a ****ing ****"
  • "A Hard-Earned Thirst Needs a Big Cold Beer, But I Drink to Get Pissed"
  • "Ten Points for a Razor Scooter"
  • "Would the Last Person to Leave Please Turn Out the Enlightenment"
  • "I'm Gonna Treat Ya to a Nietzsche Double Feature"
  • "The Phillip Ruddock Blues"
  • "Everyone Else Has Had More Sex Than Me"
  • "Message From a Big Day Out Port-a-Loo"
  • "I Rooted a Girl Who Rooted a Guy Who Rooted a Girl Who Rooted a Guy Who Rooted a Girl Who Rooted Shane Crawford"
  • "The Song of the Quarter-Time Siren (Car Battery)"
  • "Tonight Harry's Practice Visits the Home of Charlie 'Bird' Parker"
:D That is f***ing halarious!

[youtube]59MwgUG5uPs[/youtube]

TISM Gentleman, Start Your Egos
The Back Upon Which Jezza Jumped

"The 1970 Grand Final. One the greatest marks in the
history of VFL football is taken by Mr. Alex Jesaulenko.
And this is a song about the man he took it over,
Mr. Graham 'Jerker' Jenkins."

The back upon which Jezza jumped and rode into the ground,
The humiliated vertebrae that mighty mark crushed down,
The pathetic platform from which Jezza leapt into the sky,
That ladder to immortality is finally laid to down to die.

Is Jerker... is Jerker, Jerker dead?

Yes, Graham "Jerker" Jenkins, the man that stood his ground,
That took the pain that gave others fame is six foot underground.
Giant jolly Jerker Jenkins, Jesaulenko's dupe,
All that he got out of that magic mark was a tendency to stoop.

Did he hear the thundering footsteps on that fateful day,
As he looked up at that Sherrin, did he know he'd have no say,
As Jezza jumped to fame and glory with one almighty leap,
And he was left to be forgotten in a crumpled heap.

So all you men with small ability and mediocre skill,
all those of you who in the race of life are less standing still,
all those who must always know others who are unquestionably better,
The second class, the also-rans, the unsucessful go-getter

The minor-leaguers, the average markers, the consistent second-raters,
The stay-at-homers, the timid loners, the habitual masturbators,
The ugly girls, the amputees, the screaming mongoloids,
The senile old, the deformed young, bladders that unwillingly void,
The cancer ridden, the Aids victim, the plastic surgery disaster,
The fake bowel, the anguished howl as the psychopath shafts ya,