Toast A tribute to Max Rooke

Remove this Banner Ad

He’s already a better player than Rooke.

tumblr_nvoctmzpDi1uve6dlo1_400.gif

He could be. Rooke's best was very brief and his influence vastly overstated. Very different players though.

Think Selwood probabl yneeds another year or two for Geelong though before it could be considered.
I think a full year this year should be enough. They are different players but have been asked to play a lot of similar roles. Games like Rookes shutdown on Judd was fantastic, but he wasn’t as consistent as Selwood overall.

What's with all this recent Maxy Rooke bashing for crying out loud?

I can only presume those punching are those receding dudes and baldies, still unable to come to terms how one man can be so blessed.

098510-max-rooke1.jpg

And how quickly we forget. We wouldn't have won the 2009 GF without Maxy, so most likely would have seen our glory years reduced to just 2007.

64d90ce0-59c8-469e-b842-9a3ab4986235.jpg

It's impossible to over-rate Maxy - he bled individuality yet always put the team first. He made the Hoops shimmer, mixing brutality with poetry.

It was about the moment. The tackle. The bump. The kick. What they used to call the one-percent-ers.

It was also a quality few have - intimidation, both implied and with intent. We'd kill for a little Maxy-don't-mess-with-us right about now.

6263105afa99d61c18a16fbc36596561

Simply put - Maxy was a star.

r0_0_2050_1358_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

He still is.

I can only presume those punching are those receding dudes and baldies, still unable to come to terms how one man can be so blessed.

098510-max-rooke1.jpg

And how quickly we forget. We wouldn't have won the 2009 GF without Maxy, so most likely would have seen our glory years reduced to just 2007.

It's impossible to over-rate Maxy - he bled individuality yet always put the team first. He made the Hoops shimmer, mixing brutality with poetry.

It was about the moment. The tackle. The bump. The kick. What they used to call the one-percent-ers.

It was also a quality few have - intimidation, both implied and with intent. We'd kill for a little Maxy-don't-mess-with-us right about now.

He still is.
No bashing at all. Just think the Rooke aura can be overstated at times. Shannon burns had his moments in 09 aswell. I do draw a line when people say Selwood could maybe be our next Rooke, Selwood has already shown a higher ceiling than him in my opinion. Speaking more on how highly I rate scott than lowering Rooke.

098510-max-rooke1.jpg

He still is.
Hear bloody hear James.
I won't have a bar of it either.

098510-max-rooke1.jpg

He still is.
Rooke on Hodge in the 098 GF would have been the master stroke. Alas it didn't happen.

Rooke on Hodge in the 098 GF would have been the master stroke. Alas it didn't happen.
Wojo on Hodge would have been better still- Rooke did have a brief go there.
Wojo in, Stokes out.
Anyway....

098510-max-rooke1.jpg

He still is.

Go back and watch those games where Max time after time after repeat effort after repeat effort 1%'d himself to exhaustion.

We have missed that style of player since - Selwood has been close - and we'd be a better team with it back.

GO Catters

Go back and watch those games where Max time after time after repeat effort after repeat effort 1%'d himself to exhaustion.

We have missed that style of player since - Selwood has been close - and we'd be a better team with it back.

GO Catters
But he did have a shortened injury-prone career because of that kamikaze style. Max by name, MAX by output.

I get what you're saying, but did we really miss him that much?

He only played 8 games in 2007, and we stomped all over the competition. The tackle in the Grand Final remains an awesome moment - especially if you were up that end of the ground (and I was). I do think he was far more integral to the team in 2008 and particularly 2009. He only played one game in 2010, and the side still won 17 games and finished 2 points off top spot. Then after he retired we won the flag in 2011.

I think it's a case where multiple statements are true. He was integral for two seasons in particular for me (2008 and 2009), but I don't think he was as important as he's portrayed. Still a fantastic servant of the club though. And back to the starting point, a very different player to Scott Selwood. Rooke could play on ball and as a defensive forward. Don't see Selwood ever playing the second role, and he shouldn't be expected to either.

098510-max-rooke1.jpg

He still is.

DITTO!!! WHAT THE ACTUAL FU*&

No bashing at all. Just think the Rooke aura can be overstated at times. Shannon burns had his moments in 09 aswell. I do draw a line when people say Selwood could maybe be our next Rooke, Selwood has already shown a higher ceiling than him in my opinion. Speaking more on how highly I rate scott than lowering Rooke.

Chook if you ever compare Ms Burns to mad max again surely people will forever ignore you!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Chook if you ever compare Ms Burns to mad max again surely people will forever ignore you!
I think most already have. Both players did make Clarke look silly that day though ;)

I get what you're saying, but did we really miss him that much?

He only played 8 games in 2007, and we stomped all over the competition. The tackle in the Grand Final remains an awesome moment - especially if you were up that end of the ground (and I was). I do think he was far more integral to the team in 2008 and particularly 2009. He only played one game in 2010, and the side still won 17 games and finished 2 points off top spot. Then after he retired we won the flag in 2011.

I think it's a case where multiple statements are true. He was integral for two seasons in particular for me (2008 and 2009), but I don't think he was as important as he's portrayed. Still a fantastic servant of the club though. And back to the starting point, a very different player to Scott Selwood. Rooke could play on ball and as a defensive forward. Don't see Selwood ever playing the second role, and he shouldn't be expected to either.
Very fair summary. I loved Maxy but we would of definitely won 07 without him.
08 he gave a really stupid 50m penalty away just when we started to get a bit of momentum going and gave it back to the Hawks.
09 GF! That tackle and goal was bloody fantastic.
He was great and gave it his all but i probably rate a few lesser likes in Hunt,Wojo etc as more important to the team.

098510-max-rooke1.jpg

He still is.

Superb post, James!

Rooke is my second all-time favourite player, second to GAS.

Rooke was Geelong's spiritual leader!

Remember Bartel's interview in 2011, asking how GAJ leaving the Geelong affected the team? Bartel replied that the team was far more affected by Rooke's retirement. Rooke was the glue, who would encourage the players when they were down. His famous 'C'mon Boyzzzz'!

Your "he bled individuality yet always put the team first" is spot on! Rooke sacrificed his personal game style in 2009 + subdued Gilbert.

While Rooke's career was too short, he has to be right up there with the legends!

You're welcome HK - its not often I post anything comprehensible so you lucked out! ;)
I am honoured! Glad it was a topic that you feel passionate about! Your reply was interesting + will keep me thinking. That's what's great about this forum, we all have ideas about games/players/strategies/coaches, but reading other's ideas + discussing differences, helps to learn + change thinking/ideas. Except for some, it creates angst + fury lol I like reading different opinions + learning about the game.

I haven't read the last page or so because I'm sure my eyes saw some Max Rooke hate and won't look at it because I have feelings too.

Im not sure about hate - look at my Title to see where my feelings lie - :D

But what I took Partridge to infer was that while Max has been posted as the hard wild man of Borneo - and he was - is that his career and influence was not as long and wide reaching as some would indicate.

And im as guilty of pumping him up as anyone. IMO took the team mantra of the time, particularly 06-09 and just bashed his way thru every contest like it was his last. And it probably hastened his retirement too - those knees were cooked.

The point is we all have our favourite types of players and IMO he's not bagging Rooke in any way - just not buying into the legend that is quite as much as some, myself included, have.

In this squad, I reckon watching Linc McCarthy has some parallels. Very hard at it and tries to make ever post a winner like its his last - but has a long way to go.

But the hype Gods aint been working for him yet in the same way...

Regardless, Max Rooke will always be a 2 time GFC Premiership player that came on the list through a letter to Wells, made the absolute most of his ability and then some, and produced some magic moment in GFC's best team to cement his place in GFC folklore.

GO Catters

Why is Max Rooke being discussed in here anyway.
cause its preseason and the topics have meandered thru various off season tangents....

Im sure all will right itself this week with training getting back on the road again.

GO Catters

Im not sure about hate - look at my Title to see where my feelings lie - :D

But what I took Partridge to infer was that while Max has been posted as the hard wild man of Borneo - and he was - is that his career and influence was not as long and wide reaching as some would indicate.

And im as guilty of pumping him up as anyone. IMO took the team mantra of the time, particularly 06-09 and just bashed his way thru every contest like it was his last. And it probably hastened his retirement too - those knees were cooked.

The point is we all have our favourite types of players and IMO he's not bagging Rooke in any way - just not buying into the legend that is quite as much as some, myself included, have.

In this squad, I reckon watching Linc McCarthy has some parallels. Very hard at it and tries to make ever post a winner like its his last - but has a long way to go.

But the hype Gods aint been working for him yet in the same way...

Regardless, Max Rooke will always be a 2 time GFC Premiership player that came on the list through a letter to Wells, made the absolute most of his ability and then some, and produced some magic moment in GFC's best team to cement his place in GFC folklore.

GO Catters

My favourite ever player dazbroncos.
His skills were always overlooked for his hardness. Was a very strong mark, beautiful kick and handball imo. Just didn't get enough of the ball.
Carried on the lost art of the shepherd and block too.
I was at that last game against Carlton. What a bummer :'(

Remove this Banner Ad

Back