A very good read...the truth hurts!

Remove this Banner Ad

Ah it's the annual "We saved the VFL" thing again...

EDIT: The article's from 2016 and has been discussed in here previously in many topics.

Last edited:
Would have been far better if individual SANFL and WAFL clubs were allowed to join like PA.

Those comps have been pretty much decimated.

I maintain the bigger WAFL and SANFL clubs would be bigger than the smaller VFL teams.

At the end of the day although probably not feasible a promotion and relegation system like most big amateur comps have or soccer has would be more beneficial for the game in the long run.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Would have been far better if individual SANFL and WAFL clubs were allowed to join like PA.

Those comps have been pretty much decimated.

I maintain the bigger WAFL and SANFL clubs would be bigger than the smaller VFL teams.

At the end of the day although probably not feasible a promotion and relegation system like most big amateur comps have or soccer has would be more beneficial for the game in the long run.
1986 Claremont averaged 7.7k and topped the attendance chart for the WAFL.

1986 wooden spooners St Kilda 15.4k.

I can't find specifics for Port Adelaide in 1986, but the league averaged 6.6k per game.

None of WAFL sides come close on their own. A combined side (and then later a Fremantle side) was the only way they could be competitive.

1986 Claremont averaged 7.7k and topped the attendance chart for the WAFL.

1986 wooden spooners St Kilda 15.4k.

I can't find specifics for Port Adelaide in 1986, but the league averaged 6.6k per game.

None of WAFL sides come close on their own. A combined side (and then later a Fremantle side) was the only way they could be competitive.

I can tell you Claremont would vie Subi for the smallest following, they may win!

East Perth, West Perth, East Freo and Swan Districts but not in that order would have the biggest followings.

No WAFL team away or home would have a Collingwood, Carlton, Richmond etc to bump up crowds.

I can tell you Claremont would vie Subi for the smallest following, they may win!

East Perth, West Perth, East Freo and Swan Districts but not in that order would have the biggest followings.

No WAFL team away or home would have a Collingwood, Carlton, Richmond etc to bump up crowds.
Actually I read the Stats wrong. Subiaco was the highest with 8.5k

The Big 4 add some, but not that much. Football in Victoria was just that much bigger.

Actually I read the Stats wrong. Subiaco was the highest with 8.5k

The Big 4 add some, but not that much. Football in Victoria was just that much bigger.

The big 4 can add a lot, i am not suggesting that WA footy is in any way bigger, what i am suggesting is that the biggest WAFL clubs would be close to or in some cases bigger than the smallest VFL clubs.

For ex in 1987 the West Perth East Perth derby got 27,500, there was also no MCG in Perth, not even close.

The big 4 can add a lot, i am not suggesting that WA footy is in any way bigger, what i am suggesting is that the biggest WAFL clubs would be close to or in some cases bigger than the smallest VFL clubs.

For ex in 1987 the West Perth East Perth derby got 27,500, there was also no MCG in Perth, not even close.
That match was a double header with a West Coast match. Only one other match past 10,000 For 1987, which was for the Fremantle derby.

St Kilda without the big 4 in 1986: 13,800.

There's no doubt the people of WA love their football, but there's no 1 club in 1986 that stands out as being bigger than the smallest of VFL clubs.

Hahahahaha hahahaha

Omfg really!!??

You meth toasters never cease to amaze me! Just when I thought you could not get more arrogant, you claim to have saved the VFL/AFL from shutdown!

It wasn't going national... It was Nice Nat that saved the game 😂😂😂😂😂👎

That match was a double header with a West Coast match. Only one other match past 10,000 For 1987, which was for the Fremantle derby.

There's no doubt the people of WA love their football, but there's no 1 club in 1986 that stands out as being bigger than the smallest of VFL clubs.

I wasn't aware of that, there are plenty of other examples close to that

I had a look at comparing some of the years yesterday of North, Bulldogs to East and West Perth and East Freo and they are quite similar albeit the Vic teams ahead probably.

I will put some up this arvo.

I have just plucked out some stats from 1979, 80 and 81 - pre Eagles.

SD averaged 10328 at home
SF averaged 11722 at home
Clare 10277 at home
Perth 11429 at home

Biggest crowd for the year at Freo oval of 22399- SF V EF

WP 11040 at home
SD 12817 at home
SF 11736 at home

Biggest crowd 22350 at Bassendean SD V WP.

SD 11150 at home
CL 10303 ay home

18106 biggest crowd SD V Clar

VFL

Junction oval 17223
Lakeside oval 15494
western oval 17135
Arden st 19315

junction oval 13787
Arden st 18869
western oval 16555

junction oval 16486
arden st 16202
lake oval 14592
western oval 16597

They were just 3 years randomly plucked out and obviously the VFL was ahead, but by that stage all the best WAFL players or most were playing in Victoria, most kids and plenty of adults looked towards the VFL as the best comp with the best players, so WAFL attendances should be lower?.

I did look back at the early 1970's quickly and noted that quite a few WAFL teams had bigger home attendances than NM for example, but North with the advent of Barassi and it must be said plenty of WA boys started to get bigger crowds, which begs the question of say Barassi coming to West Perth or East Perth who would then join a National comp or the then VFL - what crowds would they start pulling ?.

All subjective sure - but i am not convinced (totally) that the biggest WAFL clubs would be smaller than the smallest VFL clubs under different and more equal conditions.

all the best WAFL players or most were playing in Victoria

Thats certainly what Victorians like to believe, Origin kicked off in 1977.

The Eagles 1987 squad:
After being announced as a new addition to the Victorian Football League in 1986, West Coast was given exclusive access to players from the WAFL to form its 35-man inaugural squad, but was excluded from the national draft. The club was also permitted to sign up to six players from rival VFL clubs.

On 30 October 1986, the club revealed a preliminary squad of 32 players, including three Sandgropers returning home from Victorian clubs - Phil Narkle (St Kilda), Dean Turner (Fitzroy) and inaugural captain Ross Glendinning (North Melbourne).

Thats certainly what Victorians like to believe, Origin kicked off in 1977.

The Eagles 1987 squad:
After being announced as a new addition to the Victorian Football League in 1986, West Coast was given exclusive access to players from the WAFL to form its 35-man inaugural squad, but was excluded from the national draft. The club was also permitted to sign up to six players from rival VFL clubs.

On 30 October 1986, the club revealed a preliminary squad of 32 players, including three Sandgropers returning home from Victorian clubs - Phil Narkle (St Kilda), Dean Turner (Fitzroy) and inaugural captain Ross Glendinning (North Melbourne).

Its actually true.... you may remember the Blues 1986 GF team including Dorotich, Ken Hunter and Wayne Blackwell.

You might also remember Buckenara from the Hawks premiership team.

The cream of the crop (not young up and comers) were pretty well all in Victoria.

Kenny Hunter would bring a few hundred Claremont supporters in the gate.

Last edited:
Its actually true.... you may remember the Blues 1986 GF team including Dorotich, Ken Hunter and Wayne Blackwell.

You might also remember Buckenara from the Hawks premiership team.

The cream of the crop (not young up and comers) were pretty well all in Victoria.

Kenny Hunter would bring a few hundred Claremont supporters in the gate.

Not denying plenty of WA footballers played in the VFL, lived in Melb in the early 80s, a Blues member .... no stats but an origin team was usually 50/50.
Remember Mossys last appearance on the G was a lap of honor for the Brownlow Medallist, home after 80 odd games.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back