A Way Out For The AFL

Remove this Banner Ad

Jan 14, 2002
AFL Club
Richmond
This, unfortunately, is not a Richmond issue (I wish it was!!), but I reckon it's worth a mention because I think I've thought of a way that the AFL could work their way out of their quandary re: the "must have a final at the MCG each week" debacle.

Firstly, I'm an MCC Member. I love going into the Members Stand, and I use the facility whenever I can. And it costs me pretty big money to do so each year. But to force an interstate club like Brisbane, Port, Adelaide or whoever to play a "home" final, particularly one which wins them the right to go into the Grand Final, is just plain ridiculous.

So here's my suggestion.

The AFL introduce a third final in Preliminary Final week - what we might call a playoff for 5th and 6th. If the two higher placed teams happen to be interstate teams, as it appears may occur this year, give them a REAL home Preliminary Final, and play the "other" final for 5th and 6th place at the 'G.

The chances of ALL six top teams being from interstate are very slim, but in the very unlikely event that this happens, having to play off for 5th at the 'G would not disturb an interstate team nearly as much as being forced interstate for a Preliminary Final.

So this year maybe Essendon could play Melbourne at the 'G on the Friday night of Prelim Final week for the honor of finishing 5th and 6th ... 50,000 punters rock up for a last look at their team ... The MCC get their Melbourne final, and everbody's happy.

You heard it first here ....

Prelim final

Ghost nice bit of lateral thinking, but you're kidding aren't you?

I think the agreement is that the MCG must host a 'Preliminary Final' in the 3rd week, not just that they must host 'a final' each week. I think you'd struggle to convince people that a play-off for 5th and 6th was a Preliminary Final! And no way you'd get 50,000 there to watch Freo and West Coast play off for 5th and 6th, or even Collingwood and Essendon for that matter...who cares who finishes 5th?

So call it a Preliminary then Deano ... The whole problem lies with the fact that it's just ego clashing anyway, like kids in the schoolyard not wanting to back down on an argument, and both ending up missing out ...

As for the thrid game, if it was the Tigers playing, I'd be there .... Maybe even make it like the Annual Charity Shield match in the Premier League ... you know, give it some prestige and pump it up a bit.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back