Analysis A win, although not a triumph. Pies by 17 over Dees

Remove this Banner Ad

I was starting to pray for the siren to go!
Some good passages of play but not a whole lot of consistency

Now we just need the Blues to win tomorrow:)
I know what you mean Magpie Girl. Being 7 goals up in the final quarter and giving up 4 goals in succession after they kicked 3 goals in 3 quarters cost us 2%. But the win was crucial so all is not lost.
I was forced to watch the game on delay and couldn’t help but check the score at quarter time. I then had a quick look through the comments on the Pies Big Footy board.
I gotta say, I was far more disappointed reading the comments from the usual suspects here. The abuse and vitriol toward our players, club and coach is unforgivable.
Our motto and club song is “side by side”.
The worst thing is opposition supporters read our board and rejoice in our own abuse directed toward our own players. I wish we wouldn’t give them the satisfaction.
I enjoyed the satisfaction of the Pies turning it on in the second quarter and taking a grip on the game. It proved a few of us wrong.
GO PIES.

Really enjoyed 2nd and 3rd - have no idea why we were trying to run down the clock from the start of the 4th, but still some positives to come out of today, namely Madgen's great performance.
He definitely showed some encouraging signs. Good for him. The club obviously has faith in him as they continue to pick him after he has struggled in other games.

Tomorrow is going to mark a dark and disturbing life event for me personally.
Tomorrow, after decades of following AFL/VFL football and for the first time in my life (and I almost just threw up in my mouth thinking about it) I am going to be barracking for Carlton to win a game of football (there you go, I just did throw up in my mouth). I hope that god has mercy on my soul.

Dare I say “go the blues” as well.

Despite trying to get themselves up with over the top goal celebrations the dees were always too far back to win that.

We stopped to less than a crawl and ceased taking the game on with 10-15 remaining meaning we never looked like scoring late.

Disappointing we blew the chance to boost our percentage; 6-7 goals was the minimum we should have won by.

Despite trying to get themselves up with over the top goal celebrations the dees were always too far back to win that.

We stopped to less than a crawl and ceased taking the game on with 10-15 remaining meaning we never looked like scoring late.

Disappointing we blew the chance to boost our percentage; 6-7 goals was the minimum we should have won by.
I agree. Being 7 goals up, it would have been nice to win the quarter and bank a 50 point win for %. But the 4 pts was more important than % and we had to get down and dirty on a cold horrible day.

I can’t have it that Elliott injured a hamstring but didn’t ice it, precisely four weeks before the opening round of finals. Preposterous.

Also, Roughy has excelled with us presumably because he’s finally been allowed to settle in a position. Let’s not screw with it!

Good enough win. Another game for Adams to build match fitness. Our A graders were good. Again against a not so great team, but we are building again. I feel for Elliot but his body is just not what it was and he will struggle to hold his place when others are ready to come back in. Checkers was excellent. Loved watching the contest between Grundy and Gawn. Such great competitors.
Elliott would be helped if we had some of our injured players back in. He would get less attention and would have more opportunities. I agree he’s not moving as he once did but some continuity of footy would go a fair way to helping that.

Elliott May miss next week due to sad face awareness.
And it may have been cos he’s down on himself. Solid game, 11 possessions, 6 marks but only 3 points. If stats read 11 poss, 6 marks and 3 goals it’s a far different conversation. He’s way to good a kick to miss those set shots normally.

not quite sure what we did to richmond in the prelim was luck. They hadn’t lost in 17? games at MCG before that.

Also this year on the patch we had minimal injuries we were flying.
Of course we were. Let me pick our best squad from a healthy list and I’ll back us in against any club.

Of course we were. Let me pick our best squad from a healthy list and I’ll back us in against any club.
What a dream that is now

Maynard Dunn Roughead
Langdon Howe Scharenberg

Grundy Adams Crisp
Treloar Beams Wells

Mihocek WHE Stephenson
De Goey Moore Elliott

Sidebottom Pendlebury Phillips Cox

AFL match report saying Pendles injured ankle. Didn't come back on in the last quarter, hopefully cause the game was in the bag. We definitely couldn't afford to lose him.
Don't forget that the top 4 play each other next week Cats vs Lions & Eagles vs Tigers so that means 2 losses so top 4 not out of the question.
Yep, over last 2 rounds, Lions v Cats, Rich v WC and Rich v Lions (honourable mention to Cats v Blues in rnd 23 and possible danger game for Cats). If Pies just bank 2 wins and a bit of % and you never know where we will finish.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Considering the game was an slog for most part the tackle numbers will be inflated.

Whilst we need some key position players we also need some midfielders with an different skillset- speed and kicking.

Watching the replay now..........Wills laid 10 tackles.

Three so far that I have seen again are blatant holding the ball........bloody stiff.

And his tackles look like they hurt. Big strong boy. Need to keep playing him. Just needs to find a bit more of the ball and get his kicks off a bit faster.

I’d keep him and Sier both on for at least one mire year.

Both I believe not not in the way it was presented by the media, but much more of a win than a triumph.
Bucks described the game as “valuable”.

Some insights from Checkers into the game (from his post-match interview on the Pies website).
  • Last quarter: players were run off their legs, he was cramping, wanted a rotation but couldn't get one, kept looking at the clock
  • Roughy up forward: was a 'bit lost', was asking Checkers where he should go, says he 'doesn't like' playing up forward
For me, the poor last quarter is indicative of where we are at. Two good to very good quarters in the second and third, but then...passive (Bucks' description).

Its an achievement to make the finals again (never forget 2014-2017) but we are not exactly steaming into September.

The return of some stars - Stevo, JDG and Moore - will certainly help but I fear will be too late for the team to gel again.

If we beat Adelaide and the Bombers we will at least have some momentum, but geez some of the other finals-bound teams are looking very good.

Some insights from Checkers into the game (from his post-match interview on the Pies website).

Roughy up forward: was a 'bit lost', was asking Checkers where he should go, says he 'doesn't like' playing up forward

Some may think it ridiculous but I’m still wondering whether we can manufacture this with Roughead rotating into the ruck from the backline. Fact is whenever a main ruck goes off the ground it’s going to be an oppo forward that goes into the ruck for a brief stint, meaning they’ll lose a tall option. We should be able to readjust given it’ll only be five minutes and Roughy would play where he is comfortable.

Then, of course, it may change once Moore returns. Despite our desire to play him behind the ball, if the coaches insist the ruck rotation must be a forward then Moore may simply have to play in the forward half. It’d also help our shape in front of the footy which improved after quarter time but still left a hell of a lot pressure on Checkers to clunk marks or bring it to ground.

Against 17th and 18th, to be honest those sides aren't that much better than a strong VFL side, Wills is shiat.

I can understand why people completely disregard his presence due to the way he looks and being rough around the edges. Fact is I actually think the Melbourne mids competed very strongly yesterday and it’s their lack of defensive structure, not stoppage craft, that sees them where they are. Viney, Oliver and Harmes are still decent around the footy and actually do things like block well for each other and are strong and powerful.

Whilst we need some key position players we also need some midfielders with an different skillset- speed and kicking.

This issue of balance is a good one. We still lack an elite running ball user eg Brad Hill between the arcs. It’d be a huge asset if we could get our hands on either him or Ed Langdon (who isn’t a fantastic user but is quick and provides run and carry).

The key position issue won’t be easily solved. We have to go to the Draft and develop or take a punt on someone who is a fair way down the pecking order at their current club. For mine, this is almost the toughest part of recruiting.

Interesting to note the shift in assessments of Madgen that are really on the back of one clever turn and terrific pass. The rest of his game was similar to others he has played, i.e. quite promising.

Comments on the umpiring are pretty valid, but are not restricted to our game. I watched some of the others this weekend and noted the reversion to excessive leniency on holding the ball decisions, peppered with a few severe ones. I saw Toby Green nearly have his head wrenched off to be told by the umpire he "threw your head back". It may have been because of the wet conditions this weekend, and I hope that we can get back to making players dispose of the ball correctly as soon as they are tackled as soon as possible.

Roughead had to go forward because there was nobody else, and he did what he was supposed to. The problem remains the same for next week, with taller Adelaide forwards to worry about. If he is available, I would try Moore as the forward/ruck, but not expecting him to control the forward line, as people seem to think Roughead was meant to do.
I didn't think that Brown would make it, but I have to admit I was wrong. His spin as he picks it up move is magic. He is starting to get more of the ball. His kicking still needs a bit, but is probably better than it seems, and confidence is all that is required.
I did think that Daicos would get there, but he is moving to the thin ice area in his career.
Sidebottom had a great game, but he will not be running around on his own against good sides.
Adams is back at work thank goodness. I noticed on his regular "turn inboard and have his deliberate pass cut off" move that the problem with it is probably that it is so telegraphed. The kick goes where it is meant to, but opposition players who know what they are doing pick it early and react. (In the past I have thought that the kicks were poor). Perhaps his peripheral vision is not up to this job, and he may need to restrict himself in these creative efforts.
Thomas regained a bit of respect.
Treloar, Grundy, Howe and Pendlebury were their usual excellent selves. We rely so heavily on these blokes.
Mihocek is a real centre half forward. He may not be Carey, but he is far more than the flash in the pan most of us thought last year. His ground work is magnificent, and now he is getting more confident, he is holding more of the marks he got into position for and dropped last year.

I really thought our season was done when Stevenson was suspended, that the straw had broken the camel's back. Just like last year, the camel has refused to lie down. I still see us as rank outsiders in the finals, and any win there will be a triumph for the team, but I take my hat off to the whole group for somehow remaining competitive when they had every right to throw their hands up in despair at the hand they were dealt.

Light at the end of the tunnel.
We have Degoey, Moore and Stephenson to come back.
Adams getting a month of footy into him and others finding form.
With Cox out for the year we have more run.
The real season starts in a couple of weeks...
Go Pies!!!

Some may think it ridiculous but I’m still wondering whether we can manufacture this with Roughead rotating into the ruck from the backline. Fact is whenever a main ruck goes off the ground it’s going to be an oppo forward that goes into the ruck for a brief stint, meaning they’ll lose a tall option. We should be able to readjust given it’ll only be five minutes and Roughy would play where he is comfortable.

Then, of course, it may change once Moore returns. Despite our desire to play him behind the ball, if the coaches insist the ruck rotation must be a forward then Moore may simply have to play in the forward half. It’d also help our shape in front of the footy which improved after quarter time but still left a hell of a lot pressure on Checkers to clunk marks or bring it to ground.

I was having this exact converation with a couple of Pies fans as we walked through Yarra Park after the game. Is there a law that says rotating rucks cant come out of defence? Does it leave too big a (temporary) hole in the back six, and expose the defence too much? Is it too physically demanding? I have no idea. But given how good Roughy has been this year, I'd much prefer he stayed down back. Madgen did well enough, but against a poor side. The equation of moving Roughy from defence to forward didnt really work - was more negative than positive, even though we won.

Checkers was outstanding BTW. What a great pick up he's been, hard worker, with a fantastic attitude. Has that Tassie toughness and no-nonsense too, head down and bum up and just gets on with it.

Some may think it ridiculous but I’m still wondering whether we can manufacture this with Roughead rotating into the ruck from the backline.
Port, (from memory did it) and Bulldogs with Trengove so it's not a silly idea.
Will be dependent upon forward line match-ups.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back