Analysis A win, although not a triumph. Pies by 17 over Dees

Remove this Banner Ad

Against 17th and 18th, to be honest those sides aren't that much better than a strong VFL side, Wills is shiat.

Melbourne with Viney, Oliver, Jones, and Harmes have one of the better inside mid groups in the league so I'm not sure how you've come to that conclusion.

EDIT: Just checked...

CL: Suns - 5th; Dees - 8th; Pies 13th.
CCL: Suns - 15th; Dees - 4th; Pies - 16th.

Even the Suns are a better clearance side than us.

Last edited:
Technically it works in practice too. If you approach it half hearted and he steam rolls you with no resistance you would fair far worse then going in hard and coming off 2nd best. Add to that he can potentially hurt as much as you in the 2nd scenario.
Nice work Loki.
Take a tongue in cheek bit of banter and turn it into a serious discussion about the physics of two bodies colliding and how those forces will react depending on the amount of newton metres of tension before the impact.
It's 3.00 am over here and I have a 6 pack in my belly.
Be gone with you Mr Newton.

Just catching up on the other scores from last night and glad we weren't on the wrong end of this round. Unbelievable scorelines.

Given the following :

- state of our list with injury
- players out of position
- lack of a consistent lineup
- players out on their feet in the last

I can't find too much to complain about. We chalked up a win and the finals bye can't come quick enough. We have Aish,Wells,DeGoey,Moore, Stevo and Sier likely available for finals and I'm guessing we can forget Cox, langdon, Beams,Quaynor,Reid. The main worry is getting back a bunch of underdone players for an Elimination final if things go that way.

As far as the game goes it was good to see Thomas and Varcoe looking sharper - Checkers and Crispy really lifting and our core midfield players beginning to click a bit. Wills also beginning to look the part.

Glass half full - two good quarters of footy which is the best we've managed in a while (Gold Coast aside)

I wouldn't rule out Reid yet. He's the obvious Cox replacement. Would need to play VFL the last round to convince selectors you'd reckon.

Technically it works in practice too. If you approach it half hearted and he steam rolls you with no resistance you would fair far worse then going in hard and coming off 2nd best. Add to that he can potentially hurt as much as you in the 2nd scenario.
Technically yes. all things being equal. I'm here to tell you I wasn't half-hearted and had eyes for the ball - which he didn't.

Stevo, Elliott and De Goey’s best position is also FF, everyone can’t play their at once and need to take on other roles for the team.

And they rotate through there. It's a non-issue where they start at a centre bounce.

They always say that what the VR is looking at is what we the viewers are watching so I imagine on those grounds people were justified in saying the vision was the wrong vision.

Until we get the VR superbox thingy up and running I'm not sure there's much of a correlation between what we're shown and everything the VR team review.

I was overall pretty happy with that 2nd and 3rd quarter. it is worrying however that we have dropped off in last quarters a fair bit in the 2nd half of this year. It is also a real concern that we are starting so slowly when we were the best first quarter side between rounds 1-12.

I think it was the right call playing Roughead forward. He didn't add a lot in terms of scoreboard impact, but he did provide a decent target and competes well.

Even with De Goey and Stephenson, I still think we need another tall up there. I reckon Darcy Moore is the one. It's actually quite an exciting forward line with Moore's height and athleticism, coupled with De Goey, Stephenson, Elliott and Mihocek. That's premiership material. I think Roughead is merely plugging a hole for the time being. I want him in defence come finals. But we'll need one of Moore or Reid to get themselves right for finals, which is a tough ask.

I thought our stoppage work was patchy, but overall pretty good considering the Demons are still really strong in this area. Grundy took the points over Gawn, who to be honest looked a bit flat.

Happy to just keep banking these wins, and then hope we can regather the troops for an assault at finals. Clearly on current form we are a long way off it, but the fact is that we just need to click in September...and most premiership sides over the past few years have come good only when it counts. It's been a while since top of the ladder actually won the premiership.

No offence no spin but your inability to accept anything could be wrong at the club and all is fantastic is just as annoying as those posters who are always negative.
Some posters think everything is bad - annoying.
Some posters think everything is ok and the club should never be criticised (you) - annoying.

I have perspective when I post, that's what I always try to bring to a discussion.

But I offer you this challenge - please point out in any future posts where I am blindly and illogically supporting the club (which is effectively what you're accusing me of), as opposed to offering perspective on the issue being discussed.

Melbourne with Viney, Oliver, Jones, and Harmes have one of the better inside mid groups in the league so I'm not sure how you've come to that conclusion.

EDIT: Just checked...

CL: Suns - 5th; Dees - 8th; Pies 13th.
CCL: Suns - 15th; Dees - 4th; Pies - 16th.

Even the Suns are a better clearance side than us.

General play clearances we are ok but centre clearances we are embarrassing.

De Goey is our only good centre clearance player, we need to have him start in the centre each bounce then go forward and swap with someone.

General play clearances we are ok but centre clearances we are embarrassing.

De Goey is our only good centre clearance player, we need to have him start in the centre each bounce then go forward and swap with someone.

Being ranked 13th is all that much better than being ranked 16th. Neither is pretty.

I actually like that JDG is used sparingly in the midfield as an impact player. We can't afford to have him absent from the forward line for more than that.

Last edited:
4 points, the cue was put in the rack early.
Some promising signs, with plenty of talent to come in over the next fortnight.
Bring on September
Looks like we are just hoping to get through games with win then throttle back to prevent any more chance of idiotic injuries.
Madgen in the side is proof the larder is very bare, no slight on him though, he played his part.

Moore, De Goey and Stephenson won't fix the issues either.

Convinced the Pies are a pretty ordinary side. Much like Adelaide. Great list on paper but just dlhad one lucky year.
??
2 lucky years p'haps?
If you call a massive injury list lucky, and dismiss losing our highest scoring forward half the season for a childish mistake?
And that is not even mentioning the idiotic rule changes.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I wouldn't rule out Reid yet. He's the obvious Cox replacement. Would need to play VFL the last round to convince selectors you'd reckon.

I'd have no issue with that if he could show the same sort of form he put up in the couple of games before he got injured (again).

??
2 lucky years p'haps?
If you call a massive injury list lucky, and dismiss losing our highest scoring forward half the season for a childish mistake?
And that is not even mentioning the idiotic rule changes.

It's so easy to overrate the list. Besides, Brown, Mihocek, possibly Crisp and Grundy - who is having a career best year in 2019?

Are Mayne, Varcoe, Phillips, JT, Sidey, Cox, Grundy, WHE, Howe etc etc all better players than 2018?

What I mean by luck, is that all the mid tier players basically had their best year, career wise, in 2018.

Couldn't care about all the factors to go into that because there's nothing more boring than arguing on the internets with random accounts but yeah, think the Pies got lucky with good form back end of 2018 that might not happen again for a while. I think I recall Pies struggled to beat top 8 sides the entire year until finals.

It's so easy to overrate the list. Besides, Brown, Mihocek, possibly Crisp and Grundy - who is having a career best year in 2019?

Are Mayne, Varcoe, Phillips, JT, Sidey, Cox, Grundy, WHE, Howe etc etc all better players than 2018?

What I mean by luck, is that all the mid tier players basically had their best year, career wise, in 2018.

Couldn't care about all the factors to go into that because there's nothing more boring than arguing on the internets with random accounts but yeah, think the Pies got lucky with good form back end of 2018 that might not happen again for a while. I think I recall Pies struggled to beat top 8 sides the entire year until finals.
I agree on your point that not many players are having great years, though none of your post points to luck, but the opposite.
For side that is cruelled by injury, average form and some incredibly bad luck we are doing more than remarkably well.

That's hard work

Remove this Banner Ad

Back