A Yank on The Footy....New episodes EVERY week. An American take on the greatest game on the planet.

Remove this Banner Ad

OhioCatsfan

Host - ayankonthefooty.com
Sep 18, 2019
Sandusky Ohio
AFL Club
Geelong
Good afternoon everyone,

I wanted to take a moment here and mention that I am in the process of putting together a new podcast. It is entitled "A Yank on The Footy". It will be from the vantage point of an American, who has fallen head over heels in love with your game. My hope is to bring more attention to the game to those of us in the US, as well as talking with supporters of each of the 18 clubs (and other levels of competition) in Australia. My wife suggested I find a hobby, and I already work part time as a PA announcer at the football/soccer stadium where I teach, so this certainly seemed like a natural progression......talking about something I love, and want to know more about.

Please consider following my twitter feed (linked above), and I am working to get the podcast on the air as soon as possible.

Thank you for taking the time to read this.

Good afternoon everyone,

I wanted to take a moment here and mention that I am in the process of putting together a new podcast. It is entitled "A Yank on The Footy". It will be from the vantage point of an American, who has fallen head over heels in love with your game. My hope is to bring more attention to the game to those of us in the US, as well as talking with supporters of each of the 18 clubs (and other levels of competition) in Australia. My wife suggested I find a hobby, and I already work part time as a PA announcer at the football/soccer stadium where I teach, so this certainly seemed like a natural progression......talking about something I love, and want to know more about.

Please consider following my twitter feed (linked above), and I am working to get the podcast on the air as soon as possible.

Congratulations on your project!
Many Australians would not be aware that the US Nationals, each year in October, is the world's largest single event AF competition- over 1,000 players.

How long have you had an interest in AF? How did it develop?

I realise that Ohio is a vast distance from NY, Boston & LA- but are you aware of any publicity in the American MSM about the Pimco senior executives who have formed a strong interest in AF, & are providing some of their own personal funds to AF in Australia? (No results in google search)

What is the nature of their involvement in AF in the USA, if any?
Would you care to comment on their longterm aspirations?

Are you aware of any other "big money" persons in the US who have shown an interest in AF- either in the local US comps, or in Australia?

Given the publicity re concussion injuries in American Football, do you believe this issue will have any longstanding negative repercussions for grassroots American Football? If so, what do you think will be the long term repercussions?

My understanding is that junior grassroots full-tackle American Football is in decline; soccer has boomed for 20 years, with 10,000,000+ male & female players; & that rugby is also booming recently, but with only about 1% of soccer's vast nos.

Last edited:
Many Australians would not be aware that the US Nationals, each year in October, is the world's largest single event AF competition- over 1,000 players.

How long have you had an interest in AF? How did it develop?

I realise that Ohio is a vast distance from NY, Boston & LA- but are you aware of any publicity in the American MSM about the Pimco senior executives who have formed a strong interest in AF, & are providing some of their own personal funds to AF in Australia?
Would you care to comment on their longterm aspirations?

Are you aware of any other "big money" persons in the US who have shown an interest in AF- either in the local US comps, or in Australia?

Given the publicity re concussion injuries in American Football, do you believe this issue will have any longstanding negative repercussions for grassroots American Football? If so, what do you think will be the long term repercussions?

My understanding is that junior grassroots full-tackle American Football is in decline; soccer has boomed for 20 years, with 10,000,000+ male & female players; & that rugby is also booming recently, but with only about 1% of soccer's vast nos.

Well, I just finished my first crack at my first episode of the podcast, and I delve into the story of how I became a footy fan there. Long story short (still hope you'll tune in when it is up and running) :D, I am a PA announcer at the high school where I teach (Am. football and soccer, formerly volleyball too), and when I would get home from announcing games, the single AFL game that Fox Sports broadcast here in the US would be on. I sat and watched, mesmerized and fascinated by the game. I began to start researching more on the game, the rules, the teams, etc. Over the span of about 18 months, I did a great deal of research on all of the teams, and narrowed it down to three. Ultimately, I decided upon :geelong: .

I hadn't heard anything about American investment in GWS. Maybe to help them get a new facility constructed?

With regards to the concussion situation, as a teacher, who also announces games at different levels, from age 12-18, I've seen quite a few concussions in my day. There has been a concerted effort to teach better tackling techniques to help keep players from putting their heads into the wrong position. Not an easy thing to do, as it is such a contact sport. Lots of concussions in soccer as well.

With regards to footy here in the states, I know that there has been a big explosion of the USAFL, but most US stadiums don't have the footprint to accomodate such a large ground as something like the grounds at the MCG. If it was scaled back, with fewer players, then I could see there being a possibility of the game taking hold.
I know I'm surely doing my part by exposing my students to games whenever I get an opportunity.

Glad to hear there is real interest in the USA, even if limited. I saw a live game in the middle of the night back in the 1980s and couldn’t believe what I was seeing. I, too, was fascinated. I am originally from Pittsburgh, PA. I fell in love with the game right from the beginning and never looked back. It was crazy at first; it looked as if there were no rules. Those amazing marks far surpass the NFL’s great WR catches. The first time I visited Australia, the day I got here, I just had to go to a game that night - jet lag or not. The vertical leaps, marathon-like running stamina, toughness...so many factors make it one of the best games in the world.
I chose Hawthorn way back when, for I love hard-hitting, tough players, and back then it certainly was tough. The game has changed over the years, but I love it even more than I did then since I’m now living in Australia and can watch on TV and go to any game I want. 💛
Looking forward to more here.

Glad to hear there is real interest in the USA, even if limited. I saw a live game in the middle of the night back in the 1980s and couldn’t believe what I was seeing. I, too, was fascinated. I am originally from Pittsburgh, PA. I fell in love with the game right from the beginning and never looked back. It was crazy at first; it looked as if there were no rules. Those amazing marks far surpass the NFL’s great WR catches. The first time I visited Australia, the day I got here, I just had to go to a game that night - jet lag or not. The vertical leaps, marathon-like running stamina, toughness...so many factors make it one of the best games in the world.
I chose Hawthorn way back when, for I love hard-hitting, tough players, and back then it certainly was tough. The game has changed over the years, but I love it even more than I did then since I’m now living in Australia and can watch on TV and go to any game I want. 💛
Looking forward to more here.
Is it OK that I'm a lifelong Browns fan? :)

Good afternoon everyone,

usa today protonmail

It is now up on the Apple Podcast app.
Podcast Link
I'd love for you to take a listen, and let me know what you think. Share it with your friends, if you'd be so inclined. Thanks!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hey mate, just listened to your first episode. You have a great voice for podcasting, so looking forward to hearing some more. :)

Just a quick note - could you increase the audio level? I could barely hear it through my iPhone so switched to my computer and maxed every level I could just to get it at a normal level.

Also, as an Australian, don't worry about offending anyone with any regular American terminology, like "root for". We're very much exposed to US culture so we know what it means when you say it (and the immature among us can have a chuckle at the same time). :p

I gotta say, your team picking reasons are suspect, though. :p Seemed like your school colours and daughter's nickname lined up beautifully!

Hey mate, just listened to your first episode. You have a great voice for podcasting, so looking forward to hearing some more. :)

Just a quick note - could you increase the audio level? I could barely hear it through my iPhone so switched to my computer and maxed every level I could just to get it at a normal level.

Also, as an Australian, don't worry about offending anyone with any regular American terminology, like "root for". We're very much exposed to US culture so we know what it means when you say it (and the immature among us can have a chuckle at the same time). :p

I gotta say, your team picking reasons are suspect, though. :p Seemed like your school colours and daughter's nickname lined up beautifully!
Thanks for listening. You aren't the first person to mention going a bit louder. I will definitely work on that. Appreciate the feedback.

I listened to both podcasts today. Really good. I think you know your audience (i.e. those who want to hear a different spin on footy). You sound like you have a real interest in the history of the game. Can I suggest a look at the LA Crocodiles? I think their history may interest you.

I finally listened to the first episode. Fantastic! And yes, it would go against every mote of your being to root for the Tigers since they wear black and gold like the Steelers. LOL Even though much has changed over the years in the NFL, we (Pittsburgh) still dislike the Browns. haha I went to the Rock 'n Roll Hall of Fame and had to text my cousin and tell her I couldn't believe I was actually in Cleveland - willingly. :laughing:

I first saw the AFL on TV late one night when I couldn't sleep. I was amazed. I was hooked from the beginning. It looked like it had no rules!
It's nice to hear a fellow American's perspective. I am transplanted to Melbourne, Australia, but you can take the girl out of Pittsburgh, but you'll never take the Pittsburgh out of the girl. :wink:

The AFL athletes really are the best in the world. Nothing compares.

Looking forward to the next episode.

I finally listened to the first episode. Fantastic! And yes, it would go against every mote of your being to root for the Tigers since they wear black and gold like the Steelers. LOL Even though much has changed over the years in the NFL, we (Pittsburgh) still dislike the Browns. haha I went to the Rock 'n Roll Hall of Fame and had to text my cousin and tell her I couldn't believe I was actually in Cleveland - willingly. :laughing:

I first saw the AFL on TV late one night when I couldn't sleep. I was amazed. I was hooked from the beginning. It looked like it had no rules!
It's nice to hear a fellow American's perspective. I am transplanted to Melbourne, Australia, but you can take the girl out of Pittsburgh, but you'll never take the Pittsburgh out of the girl. :wink:

The AFL athletes really are the best in the world. Nothing compares.

Looking forward to the next episode.

Quite honestly, how are you not a Port backer??

I mean one look at them and the resemblance to a Squeeler fan is unmistakable

(as an aside I wouldn’t run around a Melbourne saying “root” a lot)

;)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back