A Yank on The Footy....New episodes EVERY week. An American take on the greatest game on the planet.

Remove this Banner Ad

Quite honestly, how are you not a Port backer??

I mean one look at them and the resemblance to a Squeeler fan is unmistakable

(as an aside I wouldn’t run around a Melbourne saying “root” a lot)

;)
Yes, I found out what that means a while ago. Can’t help it, though. We root for teams in the U.S. To me, a barrack is something soldiers live in while in basic training. 😉

I don’t hate Port Adelaide. But I’ve been told that I don’t dislike the proper teams for being a Hawthorn fan.😬

Those darn imports! 🤭😏🤣

Yes, I found out what that means a while ago. Can’t help it, though. We root for teams in the U.S. To me, a barrack is something soldiers live in while in basic training. 😉

I don’t hate Port Adelaide. But I’ve been told that I don’t dislike the proper teams for being a Hawthorn fan.😬

Those darn imports! 🤭😏🤣

Well certainly Pittsburgh fans are well known front runners, so you climbing onboard the Hawks is not surprising to me ;)

I am jealous though, have yet to get down there to watch my beloved Crows play...I imagine a game in person is pretty awesome

Well certainly Pittsburgh fans are well known front runners, so you climbing onboard the Hawks is not surprising to me ;)

I am jealous though, have yet to get down there to watch my beloved Crows play...I imagine a game in person is pretty awesome
Back when I saw my first AFL game...it was brutal! I love tough, defensive play, and Hawthorn was awesome and at their pinnacle (in my book). Haha

What gets me, is a guy will be half dead yet he runs off the field with the medical personnel while play continues. 😆 Makes U.S. sports players look like wimps.

I wonder how your Crows will do with Eddie Betts gone. He is just a joy to watch play the game. Amazing player.

AFL games are so good to watch in person. 💚 If you get a chance, go to the sports museum at the Melbourne Cricket Ground (MCG). There is so much footy history there. It’s a great experience.

Hope you get to see your Crows live some day. 😁

I will get to one someday for sure. Thanks for the heads up on the museum.

Yes, Eddie was my favorite the last few years. Magic from his pocket at the Adelaide Oval.

Crows are doing what I am most used to back here in the States with my Cleveland teams...rebuilding

The number one thing that spoils me is the continuous action with no commercials until the end of a quarter.

It is hard to adjust back to the NFL and commercials every five minutes.

I will get to one someday for sure. Thanks for the heads up on the museum.

Yes, Eddie was my favorite the last few years. Magic from his pocket at the Adelaide Oval.

Crows are doing what I am most used to back here in the States with my Cleveland teams...rebuilding

The number one thing that spoils me is the continuous action with no commercials until the end of a quarter.

It is hard to adjust back to the NFL and commercials every five minutes.
Yeah, Fox doesn’t show commercials. We don’t have cable or satellite, so the regular network does go to a commercial after every goal. Irritating. But then again...being from the U.S., I’m used to that. LOL

Then I guess you are rooting for the best/most similar team...that rebuilding phase (in any sport) can last for years. 🤭

Next to hockey, Aussie Rules is my favorite sport. Amazing. I got to go to a Hawthorn training session, the last open one, before Roughead’s retirement. Wow, those players’ bodies are amazing machines. Elegant and tough.

The playoff structure is odd to me, for everything in the U.S. has divisions; but, that is another piece of the game that makes it fascinating. 👍🙂

I just listened to episode two, OhioCatsfan . Good stuff. :) I enjoy hearing a fellow fan from the States. Sometimes you think you are the only one who has ever heard of the game, let alone watch it. Haha

If you're looking for old games to watch for the history/rivalry aspect...Hawthorn vs Geelong - 1989 Grand Final. Nothing more needs to be said. It was an insane game from start to finish. Since you are a Cats fan, and I am a Hawks fan...we already have a little niggle between us. LOL (not to mention the Steelers/Browns as well)

All of the big games are on DVD here and are able to be played on U.S. format/region DVD players. I have quite a collection of them of my beloved Hawks.

When I want to start getting up for the beginning of the season, I watch (repeatedly) a couple YouTube videos. You may have already seen them, but if not, they're definitely worth a watch. :D

and

They are old, but you can't help but feel what it takes to play the sport in them, and I can't help but get psyched. :cool::D

I just listened to episode two, OhioCatsfan . Good stuff. :) I enjoy hearing a fellow fan from the States. Sometimes you think you are the only one who has ever heard of the game, let alone watch it. Haha

If you're looking for old games to watch for the history/rivalry aspect...Hawthorn vs Geelong - 1989 Grand Final. Nothing more needs to be said. It was an insane game from start to finish. Since you are a Cats fan, and I am a Hawks fan...we already have a little niggle between us. LOL (not to mention the Steelers/Browns as well)

All of the big games are on DVD here and are able to be played on U.S. format/region DVD players. I have quite a collection of them of my beloved Hawks.

When I want to start getting up for the beginning of the season, I watch (repeatedly) a couple YouTube videos. You may have already seen them, but if not, they're definitely worth a watch. :D

and

They are old, but you can't help but feel what it takes to play the sport in them, and I can't help but get psyched. :cool::D

I haven't seen those videos. I'll have to check them out. Home from school on a sick day today. (Fell down my basement steps this morning.....Nope, hadn't been drinking at all.) :)

Episodes 3 and 4 were released this weekend.
Episode 3 is the first of a 2 part interview with Chris Hickey, 2nd cousin of Cats LEGEND, Reg Hickey.
Episode 4 is an interview with the USAFL organizers of the Friends of Footy Fire Relief fund raiser.
I hope you consider listening, and will consider sharing the links with your friends on your social media sites.

Thanks!

Just listened to episode three. LOL Classic interview.
I have heard footy called aerial ping-pong before. :D
Melbournians really do love their footy. The Friday before the Grand Final is a holiday. No work. (can you imagine that back in the U.S.? LOL) It's all for the Grand Final Parade. I've been to a couple of them. Great fun!

Just listened to episode three. LOL Classic interview.
I have heard footy called aerial ping-pong before. :D
Melbournians really do love their footy. The Friday before the Grand Final is a holiday. No work. (can you imagine that back in the U.S.? LOL) It's all for the Grand Final Parade. I've been to a couple of them. Great fun!
Part 2 of the interview with Chris Hickey will be out on Sunday. (The Monday after the Super Bowl is an "unofficial" holiday. Lots of people calling in "sick.")

If you haven't had a chance to listen to episode 3, you may want to do so, as it is Part 1 of a 2 part interview with Chris Hickey, 2nd cousin of Geelong Cats legend, Reg Hickey. The 2nd half of the interview will be released in about 16 hours. I'd love it if you'd give it a listen, and would consider sharing it with your footy friends. https://www.podbean.com/eu/pb-3ir2h-ce7d0c

Just listened to the first episode. Love hearing about people around the world discovering the game!

I can definitely relate to the time difference problems as an ice hockey fan too. We're very lucky to live in the digital age where we can get games live or on demand whenever we want, but it can still be difficult.

Look forward to tuning in ahead!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thanks so very much. I'm glad you enjoyed episode 1. Episode 5 is being released in about 6 hours. If you would, please consider sharing the podcast with your footy friends.

I appreciate the kind words!

Episode 8 has been published. In this episode, I take a look at 1943, where 250,000 US Marines were deployed to Australia, and their introduction to Aussie Rules Football.

https://www.podbean.com/ew/pb-fadwb-d3d192
Episode 9 has been released. IN this episode, I explore the expansion of AFLW coverage in the US, and look at whether it will continue into the AFL season. I also look at a very "doable" plan to market the game more effectively in the US, and whether or not the AFL is ready for an entire 9 game International Round.

Episode 12 has been published. In this episode, I interview Rick Shaibani, a member of the LA Dragons and Co-host of the Outside 50 podcast. Rick spent 2019 in Australia, playing for the Caroline Springs Football Club, and we reflect on his introduction to the game (from a rugby background) and how his time in Victoria helped him become a better player, while developing lifelong friendships.

Good stuff mate, I'll be jumping on EP 12 when I get home.

Episode 14 has been released. In this episode, I look at the suspension of the AFL season, and how there was a huge uptick in American interest in the games this weekend.....and how the entire situation reminded me of one of the most iconic scenes in cinematic history.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back