AA Squad

Remove this Banner Ad

If Rich played for the pies he get in. Maynard not that great..
Although Bruce and co love him

No one sees Lyons work he like a Ninja

One's the best midfielder in his team. One's potentially the third or fourth best. It makes a difference.
You don't consider Lyons our second best mid? I think he is by a clear margin at the moment. Berry close but not there yet and Zorko was but no more.

You don't consider Lyons our second best mid? I think he is by a clear margin at the moment. Berry close but not there yet and Zorko was but no more.
Rep matters, not impact.

I would almost guarantee this will be the list outsiders look at it:
  1. Neale. Brownlow candidate. No brainer.
  2. Zorko. Impact, does the flashy stuff, captain. A bit down this year.
  3. McCluggage. Impact and a bit flashy. An up and comer. AA squad last year and got talked up as the best pure winger.
  4. Lyons. Does the hard stuff. Delisted by Gold Coast.

Being dudded last year might have played a part in Clug's selection. Definitely not at the standard this year for mine. Not sure how an average Collingwood side gets all those nominations but can't say I watch a lot of them. Sounds like the selectors don't either.

Being dudded last year might have played a part in Clug's selection. Definitely not at the standard this year for mine. Not sure how an average Collingwood side gets all those nominations but can't say I watch a lot of them. Sounds like the selectors don't either.
The only area I see that Clugga has gone backwards a bit this year is his goal kicking.
If he kicked more of those missed goals we would be raving about him and thinking he is a certain AA.

The only area I see that Clugga has gone backwards a bit this year is his goal kicking.
If he kicked more of those missed goals we would be raving about him and thinking he is a certain AA.
Actually slightly down on his career averages in almost all areas. And 7 goals 20. As you say, if he had kicked 20.7 he'd be viewed differently, but frankly the goal kicking is enough to rule him out of contention in my view given his other stats are down.

Actually slightly down on his career averages in almost all areas. And 7 goals 20. As you say, if he had kicked 20.7 he'd be viewed differently, but frankly the goal kicking is enough to rule him out of contention in my view given his other stats are down.
20% down?
20% shorter quarters

Kept a keen eye on Maynard as I had him in a draft league.
His stats are inflated by kickouts and cheap kicks around defence. He partly plays their quarter back role no where near to the standard of Rich. 1v1 he’s probably above average, but so is Rich.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Rich is one of the highest metres gained half back flankers and brilliant defensively. He's probably the best in the quarter back role.

Never understood the hype around Daniel. He does smart little chip kicks and racks up cheap touches but the hurt factor isn't there.

Rich is one of the highest metres gained half back flankers and brilliant defensively. He's probably the best in the quarter back role.

Never understood the hype around Daniel. He does smart little chip kicks and racks up cheap touches but the hurt factor isn't there.
I'm not going to compare Rich and Daniel, but you're underrating Daniel there - his smart little chip kicks are often smart precisely because they often put the receiver into space in the corridor while retaining possession.

I'm not going to compare Rich and Daniel, but you're underrating Daniel there - his smart little chip kicks are often smart precisely because they often put the receiver into space in the corridor while retaining possession.
You're correct but is that really more valuable than being able to kick it 60 with precision like Rich can? Never seen Daniel kick it over 35m to be honest. I know you said you weren't going to compare, but I feel Daniel has been overhyped as well.

Seems the shorter games are being forgotten by people. Using the 20% less game time his possession stats are only down 17.4%, 22.65 possessions per game vs 18.70 this year.
What do you mean? 22 last year less 20% is around 18 or so...works out almost the same in terms of possessions per minute of game time. Unless you were making a different point.

What do you mean? 22 last year less 20% is around 18 or so...works out almost the same in terms of possessions per minute of game time. Unless you were making a different point.
My point was people are using reduced possessions as a reason that Hugh is having a down year when there is 20% less game time. In theory if games were the same length Hugh's possessions would in fact be up on last year.

20% less than 22.65 = 18.12 btw while Hugh's average possessions this year are 18.70. Not that stats tell the full story merely using to point out a previous post wasn't accurate.

Last edited:
My point was people are using reduced possessions as a reason that Hugh is having a down year when there is 20% less game time. In theory if games were the same length Hugh's possessions would in fact be up on last year.

20% less than 22.65 = 18.12 btw while Hugh's average possessions this year are 18.70. Not that stats tell the full story merely using to point out a previous post wasn't accurate.
Ah yep makes sense. I was thrown by your use of the 17.4% number. Interesting nonetheless.

You're correct but is that really more valuable than being able to kick it 60 with precision like Rich can? Never seen Daniel kick it over 35m to be honest. I know you said you weren't going to compare, but I feel Daniel has been overhyped as well.
IMO Daniel suffers in comparison to Rich, hence why I explicitly didn't bother comparing them, but in a vacuum I don't have an issue with Daniel making the AA team.

IMO Daniel suffers in comparison to Rich, hence why I explicitly didn't bother comparing them, but in a vacuum I don't have an issue with Daniel making the AA team.
Caleb Daniel is severely underrated and I reckon 99% of that comes from him being a midget. Rarely makes a mistake with the ball in hand and sets up the play beautifully for the Bulldogs.

Would love him to be in Lions colours.

Games played probably a factor for Rich. Only played 13/17 which probably just edged him out of contention.

Harris snuck in with only 14 games, but it's easier to make a case for him when he's clearly the best defender in the game (the word clearly may be substituted with arguably if you are not currently wearing your Brisbane-tinted goggles).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back