Autopsy AAMI Community Series, 2022: Essendon v St.Kilda

Remove this Banner Ad

On Sharman, it's no great shame if he takes a little while to get into the side. He was a speculative mid-season pick who played four games last year. Most footballers take a step forward, then a step back, then a bigger step forward. I'm confident he'll be more than OK, but I like Wood more on exposed form for Round 1.

However, I'd be interested to see what the coaching staff plans to do with the 2nd ruck role v Collingwood. About the only thing Cox is good at as a 2nd ruckman is hitouts, and we don't have anyone for that role who can match him. So perhaps Sharman is a better bet than Hayes in that role because he'll hurt Collingwood more in everything other than hitouts.

On Sharman, it's no great shame if he takes a little while to get into the side. He was a speculative mid-season pick who played four games last year. Most footballers take a step forward, then a step back, then a bigger step forward. I'm confident he'll be more than OK, but I like Wood more on exposed form for Round 1.

However, I'd be interested to see what the coaching staff plans to do with the 2nd ruck role v Collingwood. About the only thing Cox is good at as a 2nd ruckman is hitouts, and we don't have anyone for that role who can match him. So perhaps Sharman is a better bet than Hayes in that role because he'll hurt Collingwood more in everything other than hitouts.
Yep, even the great max king had half a season where he looked like he needed time in the VFL. Couldn’t kick, couldn’t mark. Confidence shot. He worked through it in the end since we had no replacement for him if he took some time to regain form in the seconds.

Sharman has the freedom to do that since he’s not the only forward of his mould.

I thought it was excellent Saturday night, but I wouldn't be surprised if the powers that be at Fox tell him to dial it down just a little. Sounded like he was still talking to assistant coaches and players for most of the night. I loved it, but it may not be accessible for everyone.

Yeah I expect in six months he'll be doing dumb in jokes and blokey idiocy like the rest of them

Yeah I expect in six months he'll be doing dumb in jokes and blokey idiocy like the rest of them

I mean, I hope not. And for me, I don't want him to tone it down. I just think someone will suggest that he does.

We have Friday nights for that rubbish. Thank God they've replaced Carey with Daisy Pearce, who I think is one of the best analysts going around and has been underutilised on Channel 7.

I mean, I hope not. And for me, I don't want him to tone it down. I just think someone will suggest that he does.

We have Friday nights for that rubbish. Thank God they've replaced Carey with Daisy Pearce, who I think is one of the best analysts going around and has been underutilised on Channel 7.

Yeah agreed, I just think there's probably a reason every commentator ends up s**t

Pretty-much guaranteed they'll try to change him, and it will be sad, because I, for one, enjoy having one commentator in the panel who actually gives something to the genuine footy viewer, rather than only aiming to the "casual fan".

I'm probably going to be stuck with more at-home viewing this year, and am dreading the "deep analysis" of the usual suspects ...

Hope you are right and he plays this week. But he definitely didn’t play VFL in the weekend , I was at the game and he was not out there.
Yes was given fake news by a Russian bot.

Didn't play the VFL but I am informed that he was going to play intra this week and so was Paddy. lets see.

Yes was given fake news by a Russian bot.

Didn't play the VFL but I am informed that he was going to play intra this week and so was Paddy. lets see.

So can I take my apology back? 🤣🤣🤣

I reckon it's:

A+ - absolute top echelon, many times AA, everyone rates them
A - AA one or more times
B+ - close to AA, squad once or twice probably, would easily get a game anywhere
B - good player, would get a game at basically all clubs
C+ - decent player, would get a game most places if only as bottom 5
C - gets a game sometimes, does OK, probably the definition of GOP
D - not really AFL quality, probably young and developing, or on the way back down

So imo for us at the moment:

A+ - none
A - Steele
B+ - Membrey, Sinclair, Marshall
B - Hill, Howard, Ryder, Ross, Billings, Jones, Crouch, Gresham, Butler, Wilkie, Higgins, Clark, King
C+ - Hannebery, Webster, McKenzie, Battle, Coffield, Paton, Sharman
C - Geary, Kent, Wood, Long, Campbell, Byrnes, Bytel, Highmore, Connolly, Hayes
D - Joyce, NWM, Windhager, Owens, Adams, Allison, Heath, Peris, Kyle

Clear lack of top-end quality, I had trouble even finding many B+ grade players.

(Yes Paddy and Hanners were AA once upon a time, but clearly that was a long time ago for each of them.)

We'd hope that most of those Bs could get up into the B+ bucket (Howard, Jones, Gresh, Higgins, Clark, King) and a few of the C+s and Cs could improve as well (Battle, Coff, Paton, Sharman, Byrnes, Bytel, Highmore, Connolly). And of course maybe a D can get up higher.

Drop ross and Clark down
Webster up one
Geary up one

Other than that pretty good

For the first time in my life, I actually want to see Buckley succeed at something ... his commentary is very, very good.
Bucks was a great commentator when he was working for 7.

And at least bucks will be a good commentator rather then whatever crap you want to call derwayne

Drop ross and Clark down
Webster up one
Geary up one

Other than that pretty good

Yeah fair points. Gears hasn't played much footy for a while and he's old so I'm assuming he'll drop off, might not though. J-Web is solid but I feel like there are 30 more of him out there so at a lot of clubs I reckon he'd just scrape into the 22. Clark probably fair to drop down as he's only that high on potential. Ross who even knows, hopefully he holds his spot on merit this year.

To my eyes, Sharman just looks like he’s out of form. He looked good in the intra-club, but just didn’t get near it in either practice match. I suspect that he misses R1 on exposed form.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

I thought it was excellent Saturday night, but I wouldn't be surprised if the powers that be at Fox tell him to dial it down just a little. Sounded like he was still talking to assistant coaches and players for most of the night. I loved it, but it may not be accessible for everyone.
I hope they don't. I love hearing the insight from people with a great footy brain which obviously bucks has.
That's part of the issue with the current commentating landscape in the AFL. The majority of people are sick of the absolute carry on and nonsense you get when watching the Channel 7 team just talk s**t for 3 hours and provide nothing of substance, and like the majority of the football media, don't even have a clue who half the players are on lists.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

bytel didn’t play VFL this week for those wondering. i’d suspect owens would get first crack while bytel probably plays one game in the vfl before he’s back

To my eyes, Sharman just looks like he’s out of form. He looked good in the intra-club, but just didn’t get near it in either practice match. I suspect that he misses R1 on exposed form.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app
Pretty hard to get near it sitting on the bench for over 3 qtrs 😂

Got to be on the ground to get a kick,would have liked to have seen more of him
Didn’t look happy about it either. I think Ratts is trying to push him a little bit but as I sai before I think it’s just the way he looks not a lack of effort.

Heath by the sounds of it. No injuries
I think the write up specifically said Heath was a long term project. Don't expect him to play any time soon.

Sounds like Highmore was very good before he got a corky. Hopefully he pulls up alright but it seems he's not really being considered right now. Campbell dominant in the ruck.

I think the write up specifically said Heath was a long term project. Don't expect him to play any time soon.

Sounds like Highmore was very good before he got a corky. Hopefully he pulls up alright but it seems he's not really being considered right now. Campbell dominant in the ruck.
I know that. Sounds like he is gonna be a good ruckman though

I thought the VFL write up was noticeably lukewarm compared to the usual. Maybe Jake Batchelor has decided to move away from the always rosy optimism, or maybe everyone played pretty badly.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back