Preview AAMI Community Series - Game 1, 2021: Carlton v St.Kilda - Marvel Stadium, Thursday 4th March, 7:10PM AEDT

Who Wins?

• Blues

Votes: 4 8.5%
  • Saints

Votes: 43 91.5%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
T7Z4oy5.png

10 days out from our first (recorded) hit-out (we play North in a scratch match this week - head over to the pre-season thread for updates).

Interested to see how we go about this one in terms of who plays...do we go conservative and rest a few or are we full throttle with a short break in between this game and Round 1 v GWS.

Game will be live on Fox Footy, not sure about the ticket situation - AFL probably inform the clubs closer to the date (probably next Monday?). Hopefully a small contingent of Saints fans can head over to Marvel...nice to finally have some crowds again in VIC.

You'd think a few would be rested for this one
Can see some irreplaceable players and the older blokes being rested.
eg. Winx, Ryder, Hill, Frawley, Ross

Assuming we are going in with the same number of players (with a bench swap at half time)

OUT: Winx, Ryder, Hill, Frawley,
IN: McKernan, Allison, Connolly, Carlisle

Would rest more but not sure we have the cover tbh.
Assuming Gresh, Kent, Hanners and Jones are unavailable still

Ross, Wilkie, Membrey, Connolly, Allison, Steele, Coffield, Battle to only play a half.

B: Webster, Howard, Wilkie/Coffield
HB: Long, Carlisle, Highmore
C: Billings, Crouch, Sinclair
HF: Higgins, Wood, Battle/Membrey,
F: Lonie, McKernan, Butler
Foll: Hunter, Ross/Steele, Clark
Int: Dunstan, DMac, Bytel, Allison/Connelly

I think I heard Hanneberry and Gresh are right to play .
I want them to play Clavarino if he is fit so we can check out how he’s going . Maybe rest Howard . Carlisle will probably play instead of Frawley .
DMac , Dunstan and Highmore will probably get full games .
Connolly might get a chance to play instead of one of Members , Battle or King .
I think all the mids will play as they need the fitness .

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

FB - Long , Clavarino, Webster
HB - Dmac , Carlisle, Sinclair
C - Hill , Dunstan, Billings
HF - Crouch, Battle , Wood
FF - Lonie , Membrey , Hunter
R - Ryder , Steele , Bytel
I/c - Gresham , Butler , Ross , Highmore

This is just for the Carlton game , rested some players to try give other guys a run to see their form .

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

I wouldn’t be surprised to see a full dress rehearsal type team. There will be extras, but it’s only our second and final chance to play opposition. So rests are probably only for those that are a bit sore. Hopefully the others are getting a full tilt seconds game somewhere.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I would like to see McKernan and Wood spend some time through the ruck against Carlton.
Not convinced Hunter is the answer at this stage. Happy for him to be given a chance at some point and am sure it may well be required to but need to see the other options.

We have seen what Battle offers in the ruck, which isnt much. He is far better around the ground in other roles.
Need to look at other options seeing as will have a few rounds without Marshall at the start and inevitably will need Ryder to have a rest or will see a (hopefully only small) injury to one of them at some point to. I dont really want to see Howard go in there and not convinced Carlisle will be overly keen to get in there although he has been ok at it over the years.

EDIT: just noticed Wood has attended a total of 4 ruck contests over his career and never had a hitout. Think I might be asking too much there.

Last edited:
I would like to see McKernan and Wood spend some time through the ruck against Carlton.
Not convinced Hunter is the answer at this stage. Happy for him to be given a chance at some point and am sure it may well be required to but need to see the other options.

We have seen what Battle offers in the ruck, which isnt much. He is far better around the ground in other roles.
Need to look at other options seeing as will have a few rounds without Marshall at the start and inevitably will need Ryder to have a rest or will see a (hopefully only small) injury to one of them at some point to. I dont really want to see Howard go in there and not convinced Carlisle will be overly keen to get in there although he has been ok at it over the years.

EDIT: just noticed Wood has attended a total of 4 ruck contests over his career and never had a hitout. Think I might be asking too much there.
If only we had kept Blake the flying goat Acres.

I wouldn’t be surprised to see a full dress rehearsal type team. There will be extras, but it’s only our second and final chance to play opposition. So rests are probably only for those that are a bit sore. Hopefully the others are getting a full tilt seconds game somewhere.
Spot on mate , what's the point of resting all the blokes who need to get some touch before the real stuff starts , they arnt going to get that at training, we are not that good that we can go into round one with blokes having one hit out if that's what you call playing the witches hats we played on Thursday IMO

Spot on mate , what's the point of resting all the blokes who need to get some touch before the real stuff starts , they arnt going to get that at training, we are not that good that we can go into round one with blokes having one hit out if that's what you call playing the witches hats we played on Thursday IMO
Yeah I'd be surprised if we didn't have a pretty solid team in. For the reasons you outline, and that there is a 17 day gap between this game and our round one match.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back