Autopsy AAMI Community Series - Game 1, 2021: Carlton v St.Kilda

Remove this Banner Ad

It may have just been what I could see from my vantage point (L1 A42) but it seemed that the umpires were pretty lenient with the new rule. They seemed to ping anyone who took half a step sideways last week & I saw players shuffle sideways a number of times last night without being penalised.

I don’t mind the new rule by the way. If it speeds up the game then Im all for it (as it suits our game style).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Seemed like first half was umpires to the letter. Second half I definately saw jumping up and down a couple of times, as well as the occasional side step or two.

Him and Gresh are both great at finding space in traffic (Steele, Bytel and Clark can all do this too which is good).

Of them Steele and Clark are the only i want kicking inside 50. Otherwise get it to Billings, Hill, Sinclair etc.

Yeah nah.
The 5 seconds you spend getting the ball across to your 'designated kickers' kills any positioning advantage your forwards had on their opponents.

A half decent fast kick fwd from a gresh or ross or crouch will be far more effective than a slow play where you pass it around between mids until it ends up in the hands of a good kicker

Pretty sure they were different incidents.

He got a week for this and missed a final.

The main difference being channel 7 replayed it 15 times before quarter time from multiple angles. Fox Footy showed one long shot from an angle that didn’t show the contact.

Thought Long was poor too. Some of Ross' kicking was pretty average too. Plenty to work on but we are tracking well.

I got ahead of myself after the North game, the premiership isn't quite guaranteed yet but still heaps better than we were.

There have been a few comments about Max King needing to be on the lead and running at the ball instead of grappling with his opponent. Being at the game, I like to watch what's going on off the ball which is not always possible watching it on TV. Liam Jones on Max King last night was like Steven Silvagni in his heyday. Well off the ball and sometimes even before the ball was in play, Jones was continually grabbing and holding King by the wrist and arms. This means it is very hard for King to get on the move with a break on his opponent. They were obviously concerned about letting him get that break on them. Not a big deal and something King needs to work through and get better at dealing with. But it's also something the umpires need to get better at policing. After all, that's why there are 3 of them, to pick up those off the ball infringements.
And BTW, Brad Hill was very good.

Yeah, Membrey's man kept getting stuck trying to harass King along side Jones so got found out too. At his age to be having 2 players guard you is a compliment.

Well maybe you looked for faults instead of actually how they were going. 15 more is a smashing.

I probably wasn't too concerned until the third quarter where we looked disinterested and only noticed when we were shutting the bed.

That's how i saw Websters game but then others saying he was good? I thought his decision making in the contest left a bit to be desired, as well losing his feet and costing us goals.

Brutal post by the way, so unlike you. :)

i thought webster was good.

I think the pace of the game really caught the players bu surprise. Most were gassed by half time

I thought the game was so fast that the Saints had stopped by the beginining of the 4th. but they held out very well since it was only the 2nd time for normal minutes ina game for over a year.

Just looking at our side now, I don't think there are many other clubs that have the midfield depth we now have in our 22 right now

Steele, Crouch, Gresham, Clark, Ross, Jones, Hanners, Higgins, Sinclair

That's 9 players in our best 22 that will through the middle.

The issue is the quality at the very top, which is why we need to keep backing Clark in and develop Bytel as much as possible.

Hi guys!

Bit of a mix-up, but we've sent you the wrong small forward again! Whoops!

We've got this bloke called Jordan Gallucci who keeps rocking up to training, so we'll just drop him off at Moorabbin and Higgo can head back our way.

Thanks ever so much, and sorry again!

Tigz

something must be going on for him to fall out of favor like that. at a guess its either an on-going injury type issue or behavioural
but if its behavioual, why give him a contract. just makes no sense to me.

Hi guys!

We've got this bloke called Jordan Gallucci who keeps rocking up to training, so we'll just drop him off at Moorabbin and Higgo can head back our way.

Tigz
You also kept that spud Daniel Rioli. If his surname was Smith he wouldn't be on an AFL list.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just looking at our side now, I don't think there are many other clubs that have the midfield depth we now have in our 22 right now

Steele, Crouch, Gresham, Clark, Ross, Jones, Hanners, Higgins, Sinclair

That's 9 players in our best 22 that will through the middle.

The issue is the quality at the very top, which is why we need to keep backing Clark in and develop Bytel as much as possible.

To me Clark will be a special player but Bytel looks like the player we have wanted for years. Looks like if he keeps on this trajectory he could be absolute top shelf. For his age his clean disposal and good vision are extraordinary. He looks like a better version of Jack Steele long term. I might be going early but he's got something about him that just oozes class and quality.

The good thing about all those players is if all play to their best and the young ones keep developing the quality goes up too. Crouch's best is A grade, Ross too, Steele was huge last year and a top 5 mid, Jones looks like he has a point of difference, Hanners still winds back the clock when needed etc. Sinclair and Higgins have shown they aren't too bad either this preseason. From where we were a few years ago it's an incredible turn around.

Hi guys!

Tigz
I was impressed with him last night. Very good over head for a little tacker.

Knows how to find the footy.

Yeah nah.
The 5 seconds you spend getting the ball across to your 'designated kickers' kills any positioning advantage your forwards had on their opponents.

A half decent fast kick fwd from a gresh or ross or crouch will be far more effective than a slow play where you pass it around between mids until it ends up in the hands of a good kicker
Couldn’t disagree more. We looked good with clean take aways last night only to bomb the ball. When they intercept marked they sliced us up with speed from the back half.

If you create space at a stoppage use it so someone can kick to advantage instead of bombing to a 50/50. The forwards can learn to hold their move until the ball is in clean air. It’s a new midfield that hasn’t quite gelled yet.

Also agree with the sentiment about pre season games and Carlton’s forward 50 was arguably 2 of their best 6.

Last edited:
You guys are genuinely a gun side. It's only pre-season etc but you look very dangerous.

I enjoyed watching Smack run around, he's been a whipping boy amongst our fans but at his best he's a genuine forward threat. And if hes your "break glass in case of emergency" forward/ruck pinch hit then you're doing well.

Must admit though I did chuckle at him giving away the stand 50. Poor bastard.

only just got around to watching the game, and scrolled through the first few pages of autopsy. Heaps of positives from the game so I’ll play devils advocate.

Surprised by the love for Webster I thought he went to ground way too easily on more than one occasion leaving his man to do damage. Wasn’t Zac fisher his direct opponent? (I did watch on TV so maybe I didn’t see what other at the game could) in saying that, I still think Webster plays r1 for lack of a better option. Just shows how good Paton was last year as a small forward never really got off the chain.

Alas our defence was pretty poor all round (bar Wilkie) allowing that s**t forward line to kick 15 goals is a real worry, especially the goals from d50 stoppages. Yes, we were without Frawley but they were without McKay.

Greshams kicking has not improved in years. It makes all his hard work around stoppages irrelevant. It frustrates the hell out of me because it really limits his potential. How his disposal efficiency is 89% I’ll never understand!

Higgins composure... an easy fix

Brad CrouchWas quiet but he has runs on the board and a couple extra weeks up his sleeve to get right.

McKernan plays r1

Carlisle plays R1 (Side note do we still have a list spot to grab another KPD?)

You guys are genuinely a gun side. It's only pre-season etc but you look very dangerous.

I enjoyed watching Smack run around, he's been a whipping boy amongst our fans but at his best he's a genuine forward threat. And if hes your "break glass in case of emergency" forward/ruck pinch hit then you're doing well.

Must admit though I did chuckle at him giving away the stand 50. Poor bastard.

Always wondered why he was so maligned at the Bombers. Every time I saw him play (admittedly I don't watch as many Essendon games as a supporter would) he seemed to give similar output to last night. Can't really ruck but is only in there for relief. Was surprised he was delisted.

only just got around to watching the game, and scrolled through the first few pages of autopsy. Heaps of positives from the game so I’ll play devils advocate.

Surprised by the love for Webster I thought he went to ground way too easily on more than one occasion leaving his man to do damage. Wasn’t Zac fisher his direct opponent? (I did watch on TV so maybe I didn’t see what other at the game could) in saying that, I still think Webster plays r1 for lack of a better option. Just shows how good Paton was last year as a small forward never really got off the chain.

Alas our defence was pretty poor all round (bar Wilkie) allowing that sh*t forward line to kick 15 goals is a real worry, especially the goals from d50 stoppages. Yes, we were without Frawley but they were without McKay.

Greshams kicking has not improved in years. It makes all his hard work around stoppages irrelevant. It frustrates the hell out of me because it really limits his potential. How his disposal efficiency is 89% I’ll never understand!

Higgins composure... an easy fix

Brad CrouchWas quiet but he has runs on the board and a couple extra weeks up his sleeve to get right.

McKernan plays r1

Carlisle plays R1 (Side note do we still have a list spot to grab another KPD?)
I could be wrong here but I don’t think Zac Fisher did much until the third quarter when we really went to sleep (and he moved up the ground more).

I don’t think J Web is getting a lot of love he’s just the best option we’ve got at the minute for the last line small defender, Long is too volatile and makes too many mistakes.

I’d love Paton to be there but he won’t be and I suspect that Web and Long probably both go when Geary is back.

I could be wrong here but I don’t think Zac Fisher did much until the third quarter when we really went to sleep (and he moved up the ground more).

I don’t think J Web is getting a lot of love he’s just the best option we’ve got at the minute for the last line small defender, Long is too volatile and makes too many mistakes.

I’d love Paton to be there but he won’t be and I suspect that Web and Long probably both go when Geary is back.

Prefer Savage and Roberton to paton and Long

Signed Coops

I think gringo went to a different game to the rest of us.

How are we going with mature agers from the SANFL?
Wilkie
Highmore
Hunter.

Hunter was very good for a replacement ruck. He halved the ruck at training v Paddy but actually was effective around the ground.
Would have a got a game before Longer and Hickey.
Yep, Gringo had a shocker!!

This was Webster's first game since Round 8, 2019, when he injured his hand after a streak of very good form. I fully expect him to keep getting better as he finds his rhythm again, and think he will be a mainstay in defence this year. Long probably also has a spot for now, at least until he gets suspended or Geary returns (which of those is sooner is anyone's guess).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back