Autopsy AAMI Community Series - Game 1, 2021: Carlton v St.Kilda

Most players have a down year after a B&F, be it injury or form; add to that a massive changeup in the team with style and personnel, not to mention hubs and bubbles, and you can see the odds stacked against a bloke of Seb's capabilities. Still played well when it mattered most, particularly the Richmond final. That in itself is a good sign since we're looking like a finals type team nowadays. He'll be better this year you'd think...and maybe with the guys around him and injury free...he may surprise a few.
I don't think that's true , the only time that happens is when an average footballer ie Seb wins a B&F playing in a crap or young team team , In general the B&F winners are always around the mark the following year as looking at past winners most either win it again or at least top 3.
Look at the result of this years B&F , 5 of the top ten are imports in their first or second years and the rest were just kids , it really shows how poor our team was 2-3 years ago.
Seb is and was always just a GOP , i think his time is limited with us IMO

KingsRansom

Club Legend
Aug 23, 2020
AFL Club
St Kilda
I really don’t care. If Williams gets a week or gets off it doesn’t effect our club. I hope he plays against the tigers. Then they are more chance.

I care because I want equality across the board. You elect to bump, You hit high, You get a week minimum. That's the rules, stick to them. Impact and injury factor comes after that. Protect the head ffs...

Premium

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 8, 2016
AFL Club
St Kilda
I don't think that's true , the only time that happens is when an average footballer ie Seb wins a B&F playing in a crap or young team team , In general the B&F winners are always around the mark the following year as looking at past winners most either win it again or at least top 3.
Look at the result of this years B&F , 5 of the top ten are imports in their first or second years and the rest were just kids , it really shows how poor our team was 2-3 years ago.
By the looks from the Carlton preseason game he still is in our best 22 and being a guy who captained the side last year and still in the leadership group he must be respected by all the players , anyway everyone in the team now is under pressure to perform so lets see how it plays out.
Guys like Carlisle , Dunstan , Webster , Geary , Kent and even Hannerbery are all not certain starters now , its just amazing how much talent we have in our squad now.
I'm still wondering about Carlisle and why he hasn't even been given game time before the start of the season - he is a good marking rebound defender surely he is the best option at CHB we have.
If he is fit there must be a reason he is not playing - even last year he was ● Ranked 18th in Marks Per Game and against the Magpies he was one of the stand out players for us in a losing team with 9 marks and 20 disposals.

Webster is another , before his bad run with injuries he was solid reliable defender and at the time one of our better kicks coming out of defense - surely he can fill a role down back to fill Paton's role if Long under performs.

Jun 17, 2018
AFL Club
St Kilda

Possibly...agree with most of your post... disagree with the B&F parts, but that's okay. Like Premo said in his post, when a dual B&F winner is our new whipping boy, then we're doing a hell of a lot better than a couple of years ago.

Have we recruited a Merrett/Kelly type internally? Hunter Clark hasn’t even played 50 games yet and if we persist with him in the middle surely he becomes that class mid we desperately need. The depth in the middle is there we just need to find our Lenny/Dal/Goddard level players and he looks like getting there.

Higgins = Chapman.

Plenty of talk about Ross’ kicking but I can’t remember the last time I saw a Gresh kick that didn’t come off the side of his boot.

Jan 10, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Ormond AFC
I don't see it that way. A off the play hit to the head should be something the MRO and the AFL work to stamp out of the game. The only way to do that is with a penalty. Williams deserves a one match penalty. It says to all the players this is not going to be accepted as part of the game. With our recent history of potenial brain injury to Saints players the club should be supporting the AFL taking a strong stand on this.
So you were happy long got a week last year? If that’s the case then I agree with you but my memory is nearly everyone on here thought that was a bad decision.

Jan 10, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Ormond AFC
I care because I want equality across the board. You elect to bump, You hit high, You get a week minimum. That's the rules, stick to them. Impact and injury factor comes after that. Protect the head ffs...
Well it’s not the rules though. If it is deemed low impact you get a reprimand. As I said to another poster I gather you were happy with long getting a week last year?

Dec 4, 2000
The Bay
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
NO Saints LUFC
Well it’s not the rules though. If it is deemed low impact you get a reprimand. As I said to another poster I gather you were happy with long getting a week last year?
No Long was a terrible decision but the precedent has now been set.
Williams arguably worst, left the ground, Long didn't.
Head snapped back, potential for injury were the phrases they used to get Long.

Did that not happen with Williams? Head snapped back, Clark had a concussion test afterwards so obviously 'potential' to cause injury.
The AFL have made their bed with this 'potential' rubbish. Said so for Long.

KingsRansom

Club Legend
Aug 23, 2020
AFL Club
St Kilda

I didn't have an issue with it as he elected to bump and got him high. I was more ropeable about the fact that cotchin could drag Jones down by his neck after a whistle the following week and not even have it looked at.

I saw a bit of the hawks vs north game now im not sure how our form lines up , the Carlton game just was a shootout and im not sure we can play that loose against the very good sides and win , time will tell i guess
Further to that , the Bummers looked good against the cats , i think they will improve a lot this year now that they have one man running the show

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Ormond AFC
No Long was a terrible decision but the precedent has now been set.
Williams arguably worst, left the ground, Long didn't.
Head snapped back, potential for injury were the phrases they used to get Long.

Did that not happen with Williams? Head snapped back, Clark had a concussion test afterwards so obviously 'potential' to cause injury.
The AFL have made their bed with this 'potential' rubbish. Said so for Long.
Two wrongs don’t make it right though if they suspend Williams to me that’s the precedent so they must keep going. If they don’t suspend Williams the long one is just an error. For the sake of the game we do need to stop any hits to head but also state of the game I don’t like the tribunal guessing

Human Person

Custom title
Sep 26, 2017
AFL Club
St Kilda
Have we recruited a Merrett/Kelly type internally? Hunter Clark hasn’t even played 50 games yet and if we persist with him in the middle surely he becomes that class mid we desperately need. The depth in the middle is there we just need to find our Lenny/Dal/Goddard level players and he looks like getting there.

Higgins = Chapman.

Plenty of talk about Ross’ kicking but I can’t remember the last time I saw a Gresh kick that didn’t come off the side of his boot.

Gresh is a unit and was great against Carlton. Some kicks have been shanks, but no more than Jack Steven used to do. Besides, I have fond memories of him hitting up leads going inside 50 so guess our memories differ. The shanking just happens when he's trying to clear it from from a tight contest, and the best in the comps like Dangerfield and Fyfe have a habit of doing that as well.

Gresh is a unit and was great against Carlton. Some kicks have been shanks, but no more than Jack Steven used to do. Besides, I have fond memories of him hitting up leads going inside 50 so guess our memories differ. The shanking just happens when he's trying to clear it from from a tight contest, and the best in the comps like Dangerfield and Fyfe have a habit of doing that as well.
I’m a massive fan of Gresh, I think he’s got Gary Ablett of 2019-20 potential but the last couple of years his kicking has been poor which is surprising because he was a classy player his first few years. Only thing holding him back from being a match winner.

Saintbloke

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 26, 2015
AFL Club
St Kilda
I’m a massive fan of Gresh, I think he’s got Gary Ablett of 2019-20 potential but the last couple of years his kicking has been poor which is surprising because he was a classy player his first few years. Only thing holding him back from being a match winner.
Gresh and Ross are similar in their kicking- a lot of air and not a lot of distance which puts the intended target under pressure- if they could flatten out their kicking style it would be good.

Gresh and Ross are similar in their kicking- a lot of air and not a lot of distance which puts the intended target under pressure- if they could flatten out their kicking style it would be good.
So much this

Aug 30, 2017
AFL Club
St Kilda
Acknowledging it’s pre season matches, from all the games this weekend we look the most impressive. We look to have gears that most teams can’t go with, as demonstrated in many games last year & the two praccie games this year. A bit of GT Saints & Bomber Thompson Cats era about the method this current Saints team plays with. We definitely need to work out our defending though. Our group haven’t quite got it right when to push forward & when to hold our defensive set up. Stoppage around goals needs some tweaking as well.

Acknowledging it’s pre season matches, from all the games this weekend we look the most impressive. We look to have gears that most teams can’t go with, as demonstrated in many games last year & the two praccie games this year. A bit of GT Saints & Bomber Thompson Cats era about the method this current Saints team plays with. We definitely need to work out our defending though. Our group haven’t quite got it right when to push forward & when to hold our defensive set up. Stoppage around goals needs some tweaking as well.
Well said

I think the attack is pretty potent. Good spread of goal kickers. Some real run and dash.

I feel uneasy about the defence though. It's leaking and it leaks pretty easily. I think we need to adjust that or teams like Geelong will continue to smash us.

We need a Dylan Grimes/Tom Stewart type player in the backline. Until then we’ll always have issues defensively IMO.

Back