Preview AAMI Community Series - Pies v Tigers Fri March 5th 7:25pm (Teams Page 1)

Matrix10

Club Legend
Apr 15, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
I don`t see how Greenwood , and old mate C Brown make the squad , just be done with him ,they have nothing to offer , Greenwood had some serviceable years, but they are not the future, Callum , come down too Abers,in the EDFL, might be a role for you there, give me McCrae ,McCreery, Poulter every day of the week and twice on Sundays , they are the future, along with the other chosen young ones, McMahon when he fills out,

Moore of the Same

Premiership Player
Mar 31, 2018
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls, Leeds United
I don`t see how Greenwood , and old mate C Brown make the squad , just be done with him ,they have nothing to offer , Greenwood had some serviceable years, but they are not the future, Callum , come down too Abers,in the EDFL, might be a role for you there, give me McCrae ,McCreery, Poulter every day of the week and twice on Sundays , they are the future, along with the other chosen young ones, McMahon when he fills out,

If the goal is to win games this year, then Greenwood is probably a logical inclusion.

Jun 4, 2005
Putney
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Collingwood
go watch the 2018 season, watch his highlights in the grand final was one of the best, please tell where you think we're going to go when we keep playing guys like WHE thomas and mayne how they kept getting games last year was beyond me, but o'well bucks knows best i guess his been such a success full coach to date
Whilst you are back watching the 2018 season, perhaps take note of WHE, Thomas and Mayne

All three were much bigger contributors than Sier in 2018.

WHE played all 26 games, kicked 40 odd goals and was huge in the SF to get us the win against the Giants.

J.Thomas also played all 26 games and kicked 40 odd goals.

Mayne was immense in the GF with something like 15 tackles.

So if you have some random fond memories of The Bear being a gun back in 2018 and that warranting games in 2021....why not apply that thinking to WHE, Thomas and Mayne who were not only better than Sier in 2018, but also outperformed him in 2019 and 2020.

Hopefully Bucks pics the side on merit based on performance on the track in 2021.

May 7, 2011
Wangaratta
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Celtics, Tottenham, Oakland Raiders
There is not much scope to do that with only 2 practice matches. In previous years it was easier to give games to most of the squad with 3-4 matches leading into Rd 1
True, and I guess it reads as pretty familiar, but there's actually quite a few newish players.

Apart from Henry, there's Bianco, Kelly, T. Brown & Ruscoe as well as young or inexperienced ones like Quaynor, Noble or Cameron.

Others that might've pushed their way in like Rantall or Macrae have missed time with injury or family issues, so it is what it is.

Jul 25, 2008
The Linc
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Oakland Raiders
Mate guys like Pendles will get nothing out of the hit out. You are better off exposing some young blokes see how they go

Yeah they will. They’re attempting to bed down how they want to play for when it really matters. Each and every senior player will be in self preservation mode, but they will also all go out there with a purpose that’s missing in an 18yo that won’t play Rd 1.

Look across the league every team is going to be at full strength bar guys that are injured. No one is playing kids to expose them it’s such an archaic view of what the pre-season is about in 2021.

Nov 16, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Yeah they will. They’re attempting to bed down how they want to play for when it really matters. Each and every senior player will be in self preservation mode, but they will also all go out there with a purpose that’s missing in an 18yo that won’t play Rd 1.

Look across the league every team is going to be at full strength bar guys that are injured. No one is playing kids to expose them it’s such an archaic view of what the pre-season is about in 2021.

I don’t see playing kids over veterans in pre season as archaic. It might not suit a very senior squad like Geelong who are in their flag window... but at Collingwood we are in a regeneration phase.

I’d rather get the extra game time into Murphy, Wilson, Randall, etc because as soon we start to get the usual run of injuries and suspensions... we’ll be calling upon these kids to play senior footy anyhow.

Our squad has 23 players with 23 games or less... not a lot of experience once the senior players start to miss games

Seedsfan

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 10, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood

It doesn’t matter what every other club is doing. We need to do what is best for us, we shed a lot of depth last year and are going to be forced to call on untested players. Better introducing some of them now and seeing how they go. You can still pick a strong squad and introduce some younger blokes

Seedsfan

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 10, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
I don’t see playing kids over veterans in pre season as archaic. It might not suit a very senior squad like Geelong who are in their flag window... but at Collingwood we are in a regeneration phase.

I’d rather get the extra game time into Murphy, Wilson, Randall, etc because as soon we start to get the usual run of injuries and suspensions... we’ll be calling upon these kids to play senior footy anyhow.

Our squad has 23 players with 23 games or less... not a lot of experience once the senior players start to miss games
Exactly right

Jul 21, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Not a bad squad. I figured De Goey and Kelly would be in, so someone had to be unlucky in coming out. Shame it was Murphy just as it seemed like he was breaking through.

Are the non-selected players allowed to play the VFL praccy against Box Hill on Saturday? I have a vague recollection that AFL-listed players aren't allowed to play VFL practices until a couple of weeks before the VFL season proper starts.
Murphy looked slow and didn't get enough of it compared to his opponent.

Last edited:
Mar 2, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Bushrangers
I'm very keen for tonight to see if we can move the ball as quickly as the Saints (and to a lesser extent the Blues) did with the new man on the mark rules. With Quaynor, Crisp, Moore and Maynard I see no reason why we couldn't get some really attacking passages of play off the half back line.

I'm also interested to see who impresses the most out of Ruscoe and Kelly. There is probably only room for one of them in the Rd 1 side. Kelly will probably get a chance to play a full game with no Mihocek, I hope Ruscoe does too.

Matrix10

Club Legend
Apr 15, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
If the goal is to win games this year, then Greenwood is probably a logical inclusion.
Greenwood has grunt , always has had, but if the goal is to make the 8. he has no place in the side, when he gets the ball , has minimal composure with it and butchers it forward, and people wonder why we struggle at the big dance, you must have better than ok football disposal skill sets across the field,especially by foot, look at the successful sides, they make you pay more often than not , minimise burning the ball, accept mediocrity, mediocrity you shall receive

jackcass

Cancelled
10k Posts Magpie Service Medal Collingwood - Josh Daicos Player Sponsor 2021 Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies AFLW - Sarah Rowe Player Sponsor 2019
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood
Re Daicos bulking up - surely he’s not needed to bash and crash? Being a brute would be a waste of those refined Daicos genes. Leave that to lesser mortals.

Those of us who recall his old man running through the midfield are salivating. If he can get close to emulating that, what we saw last year is just a taster.

LuckyLee

Premiership Player
Mar 23, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood
It doesn’t matter what every other club is doing. We need to do what is best for us, we shed a lot of depth last year and are going to be forced to call on untested players. Better introducing some of them now and seeing how they go. You can still pick a strong squad and introduce some younger blokes

It tells me that the coaches are very concerned about making a strong start to the season and want to get the line-up settled as quickly as possible.

There may only be one debutant but there are several players moving into new roles, or from the fringes to something more prominent - DeGoey, T Brown, Sier, Daicos and Noble all fit into that category to varying degrees. So the coaches seem to be focusing on to getting that all settled and the chemistry right, ahead of blooding more youngsters.

And let’s not forget, Buckley is out of contract!

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Seedsfan

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 10, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
It tells me that the coaches are very concerned about making a strong start to the season and want to get the line-up settled as quickly as possible.

There may only be one debutant but there are several players moving into new roles, or from the fringes to something more prominent - DeGoey, T Brown, Sier, Daicos and Noble all fit into that category to varying degrees. So the coaches seem to be focusing on to getting that all settled and the chemistry right, ahead of blooding more youngsters.

Look I will pay that there is some positional change, I don’t think it will quite be the the extent you have there. Guys like Sier are more just trying to cement a spot than change position.

We have the doggies, blues, lions, giants & eagles to play before our Anzac day clash with the bombers.
We need to hit the ground running. Both the Lions & Eagles are road trips as well.

Back