Preview AAMI Community Series vs Geelong, Metricon Stadium, Monday, March 8, 6:40pm AEST

Remove this Banner Ad

GC2015

Norm Smith Medallist
May 27, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Let's see if we can back up the solid win over Port Adelaide and really gain some momentum going into round 1.

The word is both Luko and Witts are likely to play in this game which I would think means Casboult and Moyle get dropped. I'd guess Elijah Hollands may also be in line for a call up considering the reports that he played well in the VFL match this morning. Sandy Brock may also get a chance.

I'm really interested to see how Luko and Chol play together in the forward line. I thought Mabior was really solid against Port and I can't wait to see what Luko can do as a permanent member of the forward line.

Geelong play Richmond tomorrow afternoon so I'm sure there will be a few talking points to come out of that game as well.

Witts was co-commentator in the second qtr of the Kayo broadcast. He said he would play restricted minutes v Geelong so I could see Moyle keeping his spot.

Will still be extended benches.

Causbolt stays IMO. Have to give him another run at it. Will be an important player for 2022 with no King.

Would like to see Witts and Lukosius get a half each as well as Hollands.

Thought our forward line worked pretty well on Friday, just need to refine and get some more cohesion.

Will still be extended benches.

Causbolt stays IMO. Have to give him another run at it. Will be an important player for 2022 with no King.

Would like to see Witts and Lukosius get a half each as well as Hollands.

Thought our forward line worked pretty well on Friday, just need to refine and get some more cohesion.
It does not look like according to this article.
Format and game length as per those in place for the 2022 Toyota AFL Premiership Season.

Last edited:
Regular season rules, considering practice game, injuries and provided Witts and Lukosius play, what is your best 22 line-up?
Here is my attempt.

HB Lemmens Collins Powell
FB Markov Ballard Weller
C Ellis Anderson Sharp
HF Ainsworth Lukosius Swallow
FF Rankine Casboult Chol
FOL Witts Miller Rowell
IC Holman Macpherson Fiorini Sexton
SUB Flanders

Do we play Casboult? I guess yes as he does provide contest.
Is Sexton playing?
Do we find spot for Corbett or Jeffrey?
Is Fiorini ahead of Davies? Can we play both?
Will Flanders play/sub?

I hope there are extended benches. Witts would probably play only 1-2 quarters.
I have my doubts about Witts playing round 1, especially on a hard WA deck and having to travel a fair way.

I would be expecting it to be Chol with Causbolt chopping him out.

Maybe something like this for round 1?

Lukosius - Corbett - Ainsworth
Rankine - Causbolt - Holman

Then Witts back for round 2. Expecting similar for others coming off knee injuries as well.

I have my doubts about Witts playing round 1, especially on a hard WA deck and having to travel a fair way.

I would be expecting it to be Chol with Causbolt chopping him out.

Maybe something like this for round 1?

Lukosius - Corbett - Ainsworth
Rankine - Causbolt - Holman

Then Witts back for round 2. Expecting similar for others coming off knee injuries as well.
Probably spot on, Chol/Casboult in the ruck. I would have Swallow starting HF. I don't like him HB. Holman coming from bench.

If it is best 23 i'm going;

FB: Powell - Collins - Lemmens
HB: Weller - Ballard - Markov
C: Ellis - Anderson - Sharp
HF: Swallow - Lukosius - Ainsworth
FF: Sexton - Chol - Rankine
R: Witts - Miller - Rowell

I: Davies - Corbett - Holman - Moyle (Sub - Atkins)

Witts needs to play, gotta see if he's good to go can just sub him out for our 3rd choice winger anyways.

Lukosius comes in after last weeks rest.

Miller, Rowell, Anderson, Davies core midfield rotations with Swallow & Rankine getting some Centre bounces.

If it is best 23 i'm going;

FB: Powell - Collins - Lemmens
HB: Weller - Ballard - Markov
C: Ellis - Anderson - Sharp
HF: Swallow - Lukosius - Ainsworth
FF: Sexton - Chol - Rankine
R: Witts - Miller - Rowell

I: Davies - Corbett - Holman - Moyle (Sub - Atkins)

Witts needs to play, gotta see if he's good to go can just sub him out for our 3rd choice winger anyways.

Lukosius comes in after last weeks rest.

Miller, Rowell, Anderson, Davies core midfield rotations with Swallow & Rankine getting some Centre bounces.
I would be surprised to see Atkins as sub. Possibly Macpherson, Flanders instead?

If Witts is not ready for round 1 I don't think we would play Moyle. For that reason I think Casboult will replace Moyle in your line-up. No point to play Moyle against Cats.

Davies over Fiorini is a tough decision.

I would be surprised to see Atkins as sub. Possibly Macpherson, Flanders instead?

If Witts is not ready for round 1 I don't think we would play Moyle. For that reason I think Casboult will replace Moyle in your line-up. No point to play Moyle against Cats.

Davies over Fiorini is a tough decision.
Do we have a VFL practice game? If so Moyle can play that.

I think Dew will give Atkins a chance this season, he'll be our rotating 3rd winger and didn't look too bad last week.

Can't find room for Casboult with Luko, Chol & Corbett already there

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Do we have a VFL practice game? If so Moyle can play that.

I think Dew will give Atkins a chance this season, he'll be our rotating 3rd winger and didn't look too bad last week.

Can't find room for Casboult with Luko, Chol & Corbett already there
We had one last Friday v Brisbane

Half expecting luko to have very limited minutes this pre season, if he hurts himself that is a second massive blow to our forward line.

Excited to see the ACL society in full swing. Witts, Thompson, Buddas, Hollands.

The team I assume we will take in based on what we’ve seen last week and at training.

Powell Collins Lemmens
Weller Ballard Markov
Ellis Anderson Sharp
Holman Lukosius Ainsworth
Rankine Chol Corbett
Moyle Miller Rowell
Swallow Atkins Fiorini Davies Macpherson Graham Casboult Witts

Leaves Sexton, Flanders, Jeffrey out from last week

I would personally make a few changes, but the coaching staff seem pretty set on that bench to Cover all areas of the ground.

If we manage to win this game then we'll have knocked off two prelim finalists from last year in this preseason. You can't really ask for better momentum leading into round 1.

How many 50metre penalties is Izak going to give away?
Maybe none based on tonight's game. The umps were giving both Brisbane and the Bulldogs a fair bit of leeway in regards to the new interpretation of "time wasting". I want to see more of the mongrel from him that we saw in the first quarter against Port. A fired up Rankine is a scary prospect for any opposition!

If we manage to win this game then we'll have knocked off two prelim finalists from last year in this preseason. You can't really ask for better momentum leading into round 1.

Maybe none based on tonight's game. The umps were giving both Brisbane and the Bulldogs a fair bit of leeway in regards to the new interpretation of "time wasting". I want to see more of the mongrel from him that we saw in the first quarter against Port. A fired up Rankine is a scary prospect for any opposition!
He's been giving us quarters and cameos from day 1
Hopefully he can start impacting games for their entirety

Remove this Banner Ad

Back