Preview AAMI Community Series vs Geelong, Metricon Stadium, Monday, March 8, 6:40pm AEST

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't think you're being "shot down"........he/she just has a different opinion to your own....and fwiw, I don't think it means a helluva lot either...but I like your positivity on all things Suns...
Essentially we've got one Suns fan saying they've seen improvements this preseason when compared to last year and would like to discuss it, then we've got several other Suns fans saying the observations aren't worth considering so stfu. I've never understood why people come onto a forum just to state that they don't want to discuss whatever topic it is that someone else wants to discuss. It's baffling.

We all know there's a difference between preseason matches and regular season matches but that doesn't mean preseason observations are worthless. We now have evidence to legitimately discuss Luko's potential as a key forward, Rory's potential comeback, the midfield potential of Rowell/Anderson/Miller with Witts in the ruck and that's just a few topics that we could discuss from the preseason.

I think the majority of footy fans are pessimists by nature which makes it tough for people like The Victorian and myself because we come on here to lift spirits and try to discuss positives but are just met with negativity more often than not. Sure, some people will look at a post like The Victorian's above where he stated that he is expecting finals for us this season and will be ready to shoot it down as unrealistic but the alternative approach is very negative IMO. Don't get me wrong, I'm not suggesting we should fall into the trap of putting too much emphasis on preseason results and becoming 'March Premiers' in our own minds but there is still merit in discussing what we've seen over the last two weeks.

We're not a bad side and we do have elite talent that is capable of achieving great things. Maybe we can discuss it every now and again...

What are our thoughts on Ballard being put forward in the last 10 minutes?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
My thought at the time was that with Chol’s hammy (?) iced up and Thompson back in the fold they were looking to see if he could fill in up forward if needed.

Only a guess

You can still take away plenty of things from pre season but more at a player and gameplan level than the actual result.

Essentially we've got one Suns fan saying they've seen improvements this preseason when compared to last year and would like to discuss it, then we've got several other Suns fans saying the observations aren't worth considering so stfu. I've never understood why people come onto a forum just to state that they don't want to discuss whatever topic it is that someone else wants to discuss. It's baffling.

We all know there's a difference between preseason matches and regular season matches but that doesn't mean preseason observations are worthless. We now have evidence to legitimately discuss Luko's potential as a key forward, Rory's potential comeback, the midfield potential of Rowell/Anderson/Miller with Witts in the ruck and that's just a few topics that we could discuss from the preseason.

I think the majority of footy fans are pessimists by nature which makes it tough for people like The Victorian and myself because we come on here to lift spirits and try to discuss positives but are just met with negativity more often than not. Sure, some people will look at a post like The Victorian's above where he stated that he is expecting finals for us this season and will be ready to shoot it down as unrealistic but the alternative approach is very negative IMO. Don't get me wrong, I'm not suggesting we should fall into the trap of putting too much emphasis on preseason results and becoming 'March Premiers' in our own minds but there is still merit in discussing what we've seen over the last two weeks.

We're not a bad side and we do have elite talent that is capable of achieving great things. Maybe we can discuss it every now and again...
I don't think anyone shot The Victorian down, more just cautioning him on raising expectations on pre season game results. I'm pretty sure in 2020 he mouthed off a little to some Geelong supporters on their board after we beat them there, how did that go for us that season? Until proven otherwise we have more reason to be pessimistic then positive as the club hasn't proven results to this day. Sure the club looks in better shape and everyone can see the rate of improvement from some players, but until the results come when it matters, I'm not booking finals tickets just yet.

I don’t think anyone would disagree that we played some good patches of footy in the past couple of weeks, and it was great to watch.

The problem is, we have shown similar promise pretty much every pre-season I can remember. And each year it would get us up and about, and we would carry it into the first few rounds and win a game or 3. But by about round 10, when injuries start piling up, the kids are getting sore and tired, and morale is dropping we sh*t the bed and limp home with long losing streaks.

So until we can prove that this isn’t just us in our early season fresh form, it doesn’t mean a whole lot in my eyes. Supporters know we can play like this. We just want to see it consistently through out the year. Although it is good to see a couple of individual performances like Rowell, Witts, Rory all coming back from injury.

Plus we played a flakey team who think they can just switch their A game on in Port, and Geelong who didn’t get out of second gear and generally looked like they were only out their because they had to.

People don't want to be disappointed so aim low and achieve high?

FWIW, I am expecting finals this season by the boys. At the very least, we should be pushing for finals most of the way.
Alastair Lynch who seems to have a good knowledge of the boys said on the telecast that provided we get a bit of luck with injury (which we’ve never had) he expects us to be pushing for finals until late in the year and thinks 10 wins should be the goal.

On the coverage last night they showed Dangerfield take a mark with studs out into Touk’s chest haven’t heard anything in the media about it but if that was Toby green they’d be melting over it

It went viral on twitter last night. Lots of people outraged. That report should come out today.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I am just trying to positive. Don't think I should get shot down for it.

No issues with it, I am also the eternal optimist. Just my POV. Sorry if it sounds like I am shitting on positivity as it isn't my aim. Just believe that preseason results count for little. I just look at how individual players went.

I'm cautiously optimistic but I can see what's going on here.

I'd very much perfer as many eternal optimists as we can get because generally when things go bad for us there's usually an overwhelming majority of people talking us down (Which sadly is very valid over the years)

So the more we can get the more we can keep people's spirits up and that's really important - For example some of the losses we've had over the last couple seasons have at times completely fractured my optimism (But here we are at Round 1 ready to be hurt again)

I'm cautiously optimistic but I can see what's going on here.

I'd very much perfer as many eternal optimists as we can get because generally when things go bad for us there's usually an overwhelming majority of people talking us down (Which sadly is very valid over the years)

So the more we can get the more we can keep people's spirits up and that's really important - For example some of the losses we've had over the last couple seasons have at times completely fractured my optimism (But here we are at Round 1 ready to be hurt again)
In surprised your still alive after watching Rory actually play, I thought your heart would of given way.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My take away is Geelong are in for a long year
I want to say it, but don’t have the confidence to, but I can see Geelong not making finals.

A fair bit of talk about Richmond making the 8, and possibly GWS, so one or two teams need to drop out. Most likely are Sydney, Essendon and Geelong for mine.

I want to say it, but don’t have the confidence to, but I can see Geelong not making finals.

A fair bit of talk about Richmond making the 8, and possibly GWS, so one or two teams need to drop out. Most likely are Sydney, Essendon and Geelong for mine.

Geelong just know how to win regular season games for the last decade and a bit. History says they will be there but if they get any kind of injury this year. They could easily drop out like Richmond/West Coast, as they won’t have the depth from any of their kids.

GWS Richmond are going back up and Will be a fight for that last spot or two between a few clubs

I don’t drink
Mrw GIF

Remove this Banner Ad

Back