AAMI Park (Melbourne) thread

Remove this Banner Ad

New Record Attendance at the Wallibies v England: 29,871

How is this stadium 13 years old?

I just went to my first event here (Elton John concert) and the stadium is s**t.

Bird s**t on the seats. The beams for the roof are filthy af (Have they even been washed in 13 years?) - I've never come across such a filthy stadium
The congestion to exit is also deplorable. Does it even reach fire safety standards for evacuation times? The congestion out back 1.5h before the show was terrible.

I guess the acoustics are good, and it's a stunning roof (from the outside). But wow. How the **** did it finish 3rd in (2% behind 1st) for best rectangular stadium in the country. Must've been a public vote and it got a high vote based on bias locals who know no better.

I'd put it on Par with Subiaco and Penrith Stadium. And considering they're both older than me, it's embarrassing how crap AAMI Park is.

aami-park-23upgrades-1.jpg

They got the size of the stadium wrong or perhaps they simply couldn't go bigger with it? If it could sit 50k it would be more future proof as Melbourne needs a larger rectangular stadium.

They got the size of the stadium wrong or perhaps they simply couldn't go bigger with it? If it could sit 50k it would be more future proof as Melbourne needs a larger rectangular stadium.
There was an agreement between docklands and the state government no stadium about 30k could be built

There was an agreement between docklands and the state government no stadium about 30k could be built
Victory pushed for a bigger stadium at the time of building while both rugby codes and Heart (at the time) wanted it smaller. 30,000 was the final compromise.

As a stadium I quite like AAMI Park. Been quite a few times for soccer and once for a concert and once for rugby league. Really good for the rectangle sports but I thought it was lacking for the concert. Top deck on the Richmond side is lacking food options but it isn't the end of the world. I'm surprised there isn't stairs at either end of the top tier on that side so you could walk up and down instead of being a dead end but I'm sure some stadium designer knows better than me who isn't.

How is this stadium 13 years old?

I just went to my first event here (Elton John concert) and the stadium is s**t.

Bird s**t on the seats. The beams for the roof are filthy af (Have they even been washed in 13 years?) - I've never come across such a filthy stadium
The congestion to exit is also deplorable. Does it even reach fire safety standards for evacuation times? The congestion out back 1.5h before the show was terrible.

I guess the acoustics are good, and it's a stunning roof (from the outside). But wow. How the **** did it finish 3rd in (2% behind 1st) for best rectangular stadium in the country. Must've been a public vote and it got a high vote based on bias locals who know no better.

I'd put it on Par with Subiaco and Penrith Stadium. And considering they're both older than me, it's embarrassing how crap AAMI Park is.

Victory pushed for a bigger stadium at the time of building while both rugby codes and Heart (at the time) wanted it smaller. 30,000 was the final compromise.

As a stadium I quite like AAMI Park. Been quite a few times for soccer and once for a concert and once for rugby league. Really good for the rectangle sports but I thought it was lacking for the concert. Top deck on the Richmond side is lacking food options but it isn't the end of the world. I'm surprised there isn't stairs at either end of the top tier on that side so you could walk up and down instead of being a dead end but I'm sure some stadium designer knows better than me who isn't.
There are actually exits via stairs at the Swan St end of the ground (not sure at the other end) but they are very rarely used. I've seen them open a few times after big events but they usually make everyone walk round to the wings.

Agree on the concourses though - they've really squeezed the ground between the freeway and Swan St which doesn't give much room on the ends.

According to Wikipedia, the stadium was built with foundations to allow for future expansion to 50,000, the roof was not designed with this in mind, and so the stadium cannot be expanded without major construction work.

So an expansion in the future could be done, but unless you have tenants capable of filling it regularly then there isn't any point, especially when bigger games can be held at Marvel. And atm nine of Victory, City, Storm or Rebels can.

For what events? Do any of the tenants fill the ground now?
Bigger crowds are catered for at Docklands & these are marque events, not home & away games in the relevant sports

HIGHEST ATTENDANCES​

For what events? Do any of the tenants fill the ground now?
The only way I could see AAMI Park become 50k+ would be IF the Mens FIFA World Cup ever came to Australia

In the unlikely World Cup hosting scenario, Melbourne's games would just be at the MCG. The Vic Govt would tip in more for the new Shane Warne Stand than they otherwise would have, and the AFL in return loses access to the ground in winter 2034 for a few months.

Regardless of foundations, they don't have space on 3 sides of AAMI Park to significantly expand it. Do this to the eastern stand and you're still only getting a bit over 40k seats:

aamiparkexp.jpg

Not worth doing.

In the unlikely World Cup hosting scenario, Melbourne's games would just be at the MCG. The Vic Govt would tip in more for the new Shane Warne Stand than they otherwise would have, and the AFL in return loses access to the ground in winter 2034 for a few months.

Regardless of foundations, they don't have space on 3 sides of AAMI Park to significantly expand it. Do this to the eastern stand and you're still only getting a bit over 40k seats:

View attachment 1787111

Not worth doing.
40k is all you need for a World Cup.

The roof is the biggest problem - hell if you could remove the roof at the ends and add 10k temporary seats for the World Cup that wouldn't be the worst solution.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

40k is all you need for a World Cup.

The roof is the biggest problem - hell if you could remove the roof at the ends and add 10k temporary seats for the World Cup that wouldn't be the worst solution.
You can't add 10k seats at the end because, as I said, there's no space for that.

It also would cost hundreds of millions of dollars to add 12k seats to the eastern stand, and the end product is going to be a venue that isn't going to be deemed worthy of any big World Cup matches.

Much better off saving that money for the MCG redevelopment which, if done right, would be in contention to host the opening match and finals.

You can't add 10k seats at the end because, as I said, there's no space for that.

It also would cost hundreds of millions of dollars to add 12k seats to the eastern stand, and the end product is going to be a venue that isn't going to be deemed worthy of any big World Cup matches.

Much better off saving that money for the MCG redevelopment which, if done right, would be in contention to host the opening match and finals.
I think if the MCG is used for a WC, the AFL season would need to go in hiatus for the 2 month period (the tournament and the month prior to it that Fifa demands exclusive access to stadiums). Can't see how nine Melbourne-based clubs are going to make do with one stadium.

I think if the MCG is used for a WC, the AFL season would need to go in hiatus for the 2 month period (the tournament and the month prior to it that Fifa demands exclusive access to stadiums).
The MCG would likely be off limits for 4 months, which is even more reason why the AFL season wouldn't go into hiatus.

Can't see how nine Melbourne-based clubs are going to make do with one stadium.
They would just do something like Bulldogs play 5 home games in Geelong + 2 at WO, North sell 4 home games interstate, 4 other teams sell 1 home game interstate. Factor in the bye rounds, and it leaves 48 Melbourne matches over 16 weeks = 3 games at Marvel per week.

Doesn't FIFA get stroppy at the suggestion oval stadiums are used as a venue? So the MCG would be off the table, leaving potentially just docklands. Though don't they also demand 10 host cities? Aus would struggle to meet that criteria anyway, even with NZ, so the stadium in Melbourne is way down the list of issues with a bid.

Though I suppose Qatar shows you can bypass any of their rules so long as you have enough paper bags to go around.

Doesn't FIFA get stroppy at the suggestion oval stadiums are used as a venue? So the MCG would be off the table, leaving potentially just docklands. Though don't they also demand 10 host cities? Aus would struggle to meet that criteria anyway, even with NZ, so the stadium in Melbourne is way down the list of issues with a bid.

Though I suppose Qatar shows you can bypass any of their rules so long as you have enough paper bags to go around.
There is no incentive for the AFL to give up Docklands.

If it's going to be in Victoria, it'll be at the MCG, with adjustments made to suit soccer better, hence the extra 2 months.

Same as the plan for the last bid. Nothing has changed since then, except the potential for the MCC to bundle it with a rebuilt Shane Warne Stand.

There is no incentive for the AFL to give up Docklands.

If it's going to be in Victoria, it'll be at the MCG, with adjustments made to suit soccer better, hence the extra 2 months.

Same as the plan for the last bid. Nothing has changed since then, except the potential for the MCC to bundle it with a rebuilt Shane Warne Stand.
The bid failed badly so there'd need to be changes you'd think.

You might be right, but legislation could absolutley force Docklands from the AFL for a WC.

You might be right, but legislation could absolutley force Docklands from the AFL for a WC
Seems like drastic measures... and all for an oval stadium?

If movable seating is enough to legitimise an oval venue's WC hosting capability, one might expect they'll just incorporate such a feature into a redeveloped MCG.

I don’t think FIFA care too much about ovals as long as they get their money/benefits.

If you look at some of the venues that have hosted the final in the recent past, Olympic stadium in Rome for Italia 90, Stade de France in 98 to a certain degree, Yokohama in 02 and the Olympic stadium in Berlin for 06 were all oval shapes stadiums.

The MCG would likely be off limits for 4 months, which is even more reason why the AFL season wouldn't go into hiatus.

They would just do something like Bulldogs play 5 home games in Geelong + 2 at WO, North sell 4 home games interstate, 4 other teams sell 1 home game interstate. Factor in the bye rounds, and it leaves 48 Melbourne matches over 16 weeks = 3 games at Marvel per week.
Thanks. Though that looks like a bit of a nightmare. Doable, but with a massive impact on crowds over the course of the season: The likes of Collingwood could be averaging 70,000+ by 2034. I'm also not convinced that the MCG gets rectangularised (assuming it's included i the bid/used as a venue). Last time around the only organisation that thought it was a good idea was the FFA - from memory, the MCC, the Vic Govt and obviously the AFL were all opposed to it.

The other thing to note is that this time around, there's no feasible second venue in Perth or Adelaide to use if both stadiums in those cities end up being WC venues (I think last time the idea was that they'd hold off decommissioning Subiaco and Football Park). If Australia bids alone, it's very likely that at least Perth Stadium is part of the bid. I'm voting for a 2-month hiatus, leaving the MCG as it's meant to be: all nice and circular.

Of course all of this assumes that the MCG is made available at all. The AFL may just insist on its contract.

Thanks. Though that looks like a bit of a nightmare. Doable, but with a massive impact on crowds over the course of the season: The likes of Collingwood could be averaging 70,000+ by 2034. I'm also not convinced that the MCG gets rectangularised (assuming it's included i the bid/used as a venue). Last time around the only organisation that thought it was a good idea was the FFA - from memory, the MCC, the Vic Govt and obviously the AFL were all opposed to it.

The other thing to note is that this time around, there's no feasible second venue in Perth or Adelaide to use if both stadiums in those cities end up being WC venues (I think last time the idea was that they'd hold off decommissioning Subiaco and Football Park). If Australia bids alone, it's very likely that at least Perth Stadium is part of the bid. I'm voting for a 2-month hiatus, leaving the MCG as it's meant to be: all nice and circular.

Of course all of this assumes that the MCG is made available at all. The AFL may just insist on its contract.
It wouldn't disrupt the thing that matters most however, in a monetary sense, which is the broadcast rights. 2 months of no footy in the middle of footy season... not going to be received well by nutjob TV executives like Lewis Martin (see the Ch7 v CA stuff).

They don't have to play Collingwood v Carlton etc during that 4 month window though. Make the Marvel games be Melb teams vs interstaters, then load up on big games at the MCG when it's available, and overall the crowd averages wouldn't drop too much, I think. If Optus and AO get used, the solution would probably be SA and WA teams each playing 6 matches across 8 weeks (broken up with 2 byes) on the road.

The Premier a few days ago seemed to be on board with the temporary rectangled MCG concept. I don't know if he's going to change his mind on that. The MCC would benefit a great deal more from a 2034 WC than it would've in 2022. As far as the convenient flexibility of contracts go, look no further than the 2020 and 2021 Grand Finals.

I think if the MCG is used for a WC, the AFL season would need to go in hiatus for the 2 month period (the tournament and the month prior to it that Fifa demands exclusive access to stadiums). Can't see how nine Melbourne-based clubs are going to make do with one stadium
Quite easily.

Thursday, Friday, Sat 12pm, Sat 7.30pm and Sunday at Marvel could be done.

Move the Saturday Arvo game to Tassie, NT, Ballarat or Geelong depending on prior commercial arrangements if needed/wanted.

MCG would waive any of their contractural agreements with AFL in exchange for hosting the WC which would bring in more $$$ for them.

Quite easily.

Thursday, Friday, Sat 12pm, Sat 7.30pm and Sunday at Marvel could be done.

Move the Saturday Arvo game to Tassie, NT, Ballarat or Geelong depending on prior commercial arrangements if needed/wanted.

MCG would waive any of their contractural agreements with AFL in exchange for hosting the WC which would bring in more $$$ for them.
There is enough grounds in Regional Victoria to cover. Albury, Moe, Ballarat, Bendigo, Geelong are good enough regional venues that could host games plus Marvel Stadium could be used every day possibly even double headers too if needed not to mention the prospect of suburban grounds like Ikon Park or Whitten Oval if it came to requiring more venues..

Remove this Banner Ad

Back