AAMI Park (Melbourne) thread

Remove this Banner Ad

they made some wierd decisions when building that stadium
IMO it should of been 5 or 10k bigger.
the footing & foundations are engineered for the stadium to have its capacity up graded to 50k, but for any capacity upgrade to happen major reconstructions need to happen
thats true to upgrade it they will need to ruin some good work

What kind of attendance do the Storm and Rebels get to home games at AAMI?

I get the feeling Melbourne City FC will grow over time (think their memberships have already doubled on last season?) and with Victory already having impressive numbers, calls for a bigger (and proper) rectangle purpose stadium may increase in the next few years.

What kind of attendance do the Storm and Rebels get to home games at AAMI?

I get the feeling Melbourne City FC will grow over time (think their memberships have already doubled on last season?) and with Victory already having impressive numbers, calls for a bigger (and proper) rectangle purpose stadium may increase in the next few years.
storm get about 14,000 on average in 2010, not sure what 2014 or 13 was sorry

storm get about 14,000 on average in 2010, not sure what 2014 or 13 was sorry

Cool, thanks mate.

I guess at the moment, there isn't really much of a pressing need for AAMI to expand (it would seem most games held there don't sell out). Assuming they can use Etihad for the Grand Final or derbies, it might be okay for the next few years (capacity wise at least).

Cool, thanks mate.

I guess at the moment, there isn't really much of a pressing need for AAMI to expand (it would seem most games held there don't sell out). Assuming they can use Etihad for the Grand Final or derbies, it might be okay for the next few years (capacity wise at least).
I have never been to AAMI Park but I go past it all the time and I really like the look of it, it's a great home ground for Melbourne City fc but Victory are better suited for Etihad

I have never been to AAMI Park but I go past it all the time and I really like the look of it, it's a great home ground for Melbourne City fc but Victory are better suited for Etihad
it suits the A league teams perfectly at the moment. not every game the Victory play sells out Etihad. they had 23k to a game earlier this week.
its adequate at the moment for the A league, with playing the bigger games at Etihad.
but who knows long term, how much bigger the Victory & City will grow.
teams the storm have been around for the best part of a decade & their crowds haven't grown, & the Rebels aren't bringing large numbers through the turnstiles either.

its a very nice looking stadium traveling past it, but they screwed it up in the design as in the future when it needs upgrading, it will require major work

it suits the A league teams perfectly at the moment. not every game the Victory play sells out Etihad. they had 23k to a game earlier this week.
its adequate at the moment for the A league, with playing the bigger games at Etihad.
but who knows long term, how much bigger the Victory & City will grow.
teams the storm have been around for the best part of a decade & their crowds haven't grown, & the Rebels aren't bringing large numbers through the turnstiles either.

its a very nice looking stadium traveling past it, but they screwed it up in the design as in the future when it needs upgrading, it will require major work
couldn't agree more about a perfect a-league stadium, disappointed about the AFL claiming rights to Etihad and not letting Victory use it if they make the grand final, i think the AFL find the a-league a threat to overtaking them one day, which i think wont happen

A League games are just better at AAMI.

When its packed, that place absolutely rocks. the City vs Victory derby is the best crowd atmosphere in Victoria imo (well, Heart vs Victory was... I expect it will actually be even better this year with a more even spread of crowd numbers)

AAMI is a great little venue. The one issue I have is the steps down, in the corners where most GA attendants sit, can get pretty tight even when there's barely anyone using them. The ticket line for Victory - Nix the other day was ludicrous too, it snaked about 300 people deep and this was repeated a few times. They seriously need to open more windows – apparently it's a common issue for Victory matches.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Been there quite a bit myself and think its a great boutique sized stadium. Easily accessible, good location, looks quite nice on the eye and inside, the facilities are generally pretty good. Even when I've been with crowds of a little bit over 6k, it still seems to generate and keep in a bit of noise which helps the atmosphere. It's really fun for the big games too (upwards of 20k crowds).

Been there quite a bit myself and think its a great boutique sized stadium. Easily accessible, good location, looks quite nice on the eye and inside, the facilities are generally pretty good. Even when I've been with crowds of a little bit over 6k, it still seems to generate and keep in a bit of noise which helps the atmosphere. It's really fun for the big games too (upwards of 20k crowds).
i plan to go their this year or next year for some Victory and City home games

i plan to go their this year or next year for some Victory and City home games

Definitely recommend it. I don't even follow Victory or Heart/City (I'm a Jets fan) and I still enjoy going as a neutral just for the atmosphere. Helps me manage with the long footy off season ;)

It is a great stadium and exactly what Melbourne needed.

Although I'm sick of always reading that it is too small. For Storm and Rebels, if anything it is too big. For City it is also too big for all games bar the derby. For Victory it is a good size except for the derby, and the biggest matches. They only got 30K against WSW at Etihad, which would have been much better at AAMI park. Even if it meant that 1000 of those people could not get in, at least it then drives demand and makes getting a membership even more important. Im not sure what is with the obsession of being afraid of a game selling out at a stadium occasionally. It rarely happens now at AAMI.

Admittedly Victory may "outgrow" the stadium in the future, but I can't see the other 3 teams doing the same for a very long time, if at all.

A lot of times the sell outs at AAMI only get 26k because of people not allowing the club to resell their ticket if they are not going or corporates not attending.

The Wellington game last week had upwards of 2000 people denied entry and the crowd was only 24k. Something needs to be sorted out with that,

Remove this Banner Ad

Back