Review AAMI Series vs Adelaide

Remove this Banner Ad

Duursma is tough/brave and can go forward and kick a goal. He kicked 3 goals last week and still got 20 disposals today (not his best game but still). He is in my round 1 side.

Bold statement.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say Travis Boak is in my Round 1 side too.

Really though, the big winner in all of this is Ken Hinkley. Imagine sitting back and being a mediocre coach for close to a decade whilst your recruiters and list managers are quietly putting together the best list in the league with about 35 AFL standard footballers. I mean seriously, if you combined the Crows and Port teams, would ANY of their players get a game in the best 22? That's a serious question. The list we've put together is just incredible. We have to capitalise and soon.

Genuine non-trolling answer:

Doedee gets a game over McKenzie/Clurey.

ROB is better than Lycett (although give it a couple of years and Hayes will be better than both of them)

Laird or Matt Crouch get a game over Rockliff. They do basically the same thing but they're in their prime whereas Rocky is close to the end.

You'd find room for Brodie Smith somewhere. Either Hartlett's spot, or a wing role off the bench similar to what Bonner did today.

OUT:
Clurey
Lycett
Hartlett
Rockliff
Motlop

IN:
Doedee
ROB
Laird
Crouch
Smith

I genuinely reckon that's it. 5 if we're being generous. And there's a reasonable argument that you'd move Laird to the middle, move Hartlett back to HB and drop Crouch to bring it back to 4.

Last edited:

I liked that at every kick in they basically bombed the ball over the 50m line, either because they couldn't trust themselves to hit a target or because they're afraid of what our forwards can do to them.

Lots to like about that performance even taking the opposition into account. Good to see so many forward entries where a player got hit on the chest on a fast lead. Not so reliant on long bombs to a contest which can be a lower percentage play.
We were a pretty unskilled team just a few years back. Oh boy, has that changed!

Last edited:
We have a really good mix of players, we should have heaps to look forward too. No excuses Ken.

Not sure if I have missed something but why did the club wait for Conner's surgery, you would think a few weeks ago would have been on the cards.

Genuine non-trolling answer:

Doedee gets a game over McKenzie/Clurey.

ROB is better than Lycett (although give it a couple of years and Hayes will be better than both of them)

Laird or Matt Crouch get a game over Rockliff. They do basically the same thing but they're in their prime whereas Rocky is close to the end.

You'd find room for Brodie Smith somewhere. Either Hartlett's spot, or a wing role off the bench similar to what Bonner did today.

I genuinely reckon that's it. 4, maybe 5 if we're being generous.

I wouldn't make any of those changes. Some serious overrating of O'Brien going on. He's nothing more than a Lobbe type workhorse. We get it, you don't like Lycett, but I'd take him every day of the week.

Matt Crouch is the biggest stat padder, backwards handballer in the game. Watching him play for my team would actually make me furious.

Smith is about the same level as Hartlett now. Once upon a time I would have loved him but he's hitting the wall now.

So yeah, that leaves Doedee basically and he only dislodges a defender that we didn't even have in the extended side yesterday, and I really like McKenzie so tough call.

I feel like they waited so that he could get some games under his belt for the year so that he wasn't coming in after the injury with no touch at all. He played full minutes of both trial games.

So yeah, that leaves Doedee basically and he only dislodges a defender that we didn't even have in the extended side yesterday, and I really like McKenzie so tough call.

m8 if you genuinely think Doedee vs McKenzie is a 'tough call' then you're probably too one-eyed to assess this properly.

Also O'Brien is Lobbe if Lobbe could stick his marks. If Lobbe could stick his marks he would've been a good player. Not great, but good.

m8 if you genuinely think Doedee vs McKenzie is a 'close call' then you're probably too one-eyed to assess this properly.

McKenzie was great last year. You just have this weird thing against him, second only to your Lycett hatred.
When players fit into your system really well, you don't keep underrating their worth.

McKenzie was great last year. You just have this weird thing against him, second only to your Lycett hatred.
When players fit into your system really well, you don't keep underrating their worth.

Im happy to admit I have a 'thing' against Lycett but I don't have anything against McKenzie. Doedee is quality though, would walk into our team and every other team in the competition. Doedee vs Clurey or McKenzie isn't even close.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Im happy to admit I have a 'thing' against Lycett but I don't have anything against McKenzie. Doedee is quality though, would walk into our team and every other team in the competition. Doedee vs Clurey or McKenzie isn't even close.

Perhaps I should rephrase. Doedee is a very good player, perhaps their only player I would want, but as it currently stands I don't think our side is in dire need of a player like him because we aren't lacking in that department.

Perhaps I should rephrase. Doedee is a very good player, perhaps their only player I would want, but as it currently stands I don't think our side is in dire need of a player like him because we aren't lacking in that department.

I don't think we're in 'dire need' of anything, but that's not the question. We're not in dire need of a mid/HF but I'd still take Dusty Martin if he was on offer.

Doesn't matter how good you are, you can always get better. We plucked Aliir from a bottom 4 side and look at the impact he's making for us.

I don't think we're in 'dire need' of anything, but that's not the question. We're not in dire need of a mid/HF but I'd still take Dusty Martin if he was on offer.

Doesn't matter how good you are, you can always get better. We plucked Aliir from a bottom 4 side and look at the impact he's made for us.

Would you prefer Doedee or Allir?

The only possible Port supporter unhappy yesterday may be Josh Carr, if he wanted to keep his Showdown record of 10-0.

Would you prefer Doedee or Allir?

How is that relevant to the original question?

To answer it despite that, Doedee is probably quote unquote slightly 'better' at his role, but I'd favour a very good 196cm key defender over a very good 189cm medium defender. One is a lot harder to find than the other.

How is that relevant to the original question?

To answer it despite that, Doedee is probably quote unquote slightly 'better' at his role, but I'd favour a very good 196cm key defender over a very good 189cm medium defender. One is a lot harder to find than the other.

It's just a discussion mate. I'm interested in your opinion.

I liked that at every kick in they basically bombed the ball over the 50m line, either because they couldn't trust themselves to hit a target or because they're afraid of what our forwards can do to them.

They were even doing that in their internal trial - always out to the right wing area.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back