Injury Aaron Davey out for season

Remove this Banner Ad

Animosity

Team Captain
Oct 14, 2006
AFL Club
Melbourne
Foot fracture ... What role do you see for Next year? ... Would use him at jurrah and Clark's feet, maybe fill the small forward role we lack as he started in his early days.

Source here: http://www.melbournefc.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/7415/newsid/141249/default.aspx

AARON Davey will miss the remainder of the 2012 season after scans revealed a stress fracture in his right foot.

Davey presented with soreness following the Casey Scorpions win over Port Melbourne. Subsequent scans revealed a stress fracture to the third metatarsal.

It is expected that Davey will be available for the start of the 2013 pre-season campaign.

Melbourne Football Manager Josh Mahoney said: “This is disappointing for Aaron as he had been working hard on his fitness after an interrupted pre-season. Given the timing of the injury, Aaron will recover and start what will be a big pre-season campaign for him, as he prepares for the 2013 season."

Damn that's frustrating, he played really well on Sunday and I was looking forward to seeing him get another chance this week.

Bugger, cant take a trick lately Aaron. I mean, his form has been poor the last two years but he hasn't had a clean run on the park to improve. Bit like Greeny this year.

Agreed CJ, The worst thing is, it's not ever soft tissue .. It's always surgery/breaks for those about to blame the conditioning staff,

Agreed CJ, The worst thing is, it's not ever soft tissue .. It's always surgery/breaks for those about to blame the conditioning staff,
Exactly, not much you can do about most of it. In recent times there have been a few young kids go down with stress fractures and the like, you'd have to question the workload they are subjected to in their first and second pre-seasons.

Sucks for him, hopefully he gets it right. I don't think he's been the same since he broke that bone in his leg in 2010. He needs a massive pre season if he wants to finish his career off on a high, which he deserves.

no big loss really has done 2fifths of fu:: all this year,expect a big 2013 considering his contract expires next year.

Not much of a loss IMO.

Is barely able to earn a game in one of the worst sides in the league.

At 29, I see him struggling to make an impact from here on.

Not much of a loss IMO.

Is barely able to earn a game in one of the worst sides in the league.

At 29, I see him struggling to make an impact from here on.

He's been injured about four times this year. Little bit unfair.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Aaron played some glorious footy in 2006 and his 2010 was not half bad until he suffered that catastrophic injury against Hawthorn.

The show is almost over. Luckily for him, but not for us, he is contracted until the end of next year.

Stick a fork in him - he's done. No point even playing him next year. He's not going to be part of our future. He won't be offered another contract. He's lucky that he can use the money from next year to make plans for his future. Wish him all the best though. Will go down as a player who never quite fulfilled his potential, but a respected Melbourne player.

Yes actually, they are .. This is 18 of the best teams in Australia playing football, its the fastest paced game on offer mentally and physically, obviously a 3 week injury for example isn't going to make you the most confident player out there for fear of doing it again, and then there's being out there and getting used to the pace of the game and ball reading skills, this all doesn't get any sharper by sitting on the sidelines. So being injured and out of touch is definitely a plausible excuse.

They are plausible excuses if you're not a weak as piss footballer like Davey is.

He is soft and mentally fragile. He was playing bad footy before his injuries.

I'm sorry but I have no sympathy for him because he's been one of the players that has let us down in the past couple of years.

No doubt injuries have a massive impact on a players form, anyone that says otherwise doesn't understand the game.

I think Davey's a victim of the system to some degree. In the words of Jake the Mus 'too much weights, not enough speedwork' (bro). Modern day pre-seasons are all about run, run, run, when that's the last thing a pure speed demon really should be doing. Sure, get their fitness up and about, but you need to make sure you don't overdo that and let the speed slip.

Hopefully Neeld and Misson have worked that out because Davey still has plenty to offer. Hopefully Davey gets his body right so he can put in a full pre-season involving a tonne of speedwork. And hopefully in 2013 he's played as the small forward we so desperately need. A position he made his own when he came into the league, and was known as one of, if not the, best in the AFL.

Fellow Dees fans, show the dude some respect. He's given you plenty of excitement over the years and deserves to be given an uninterupted crack at 2013.

Put him in the forward line next year and let him be that quick chasing, forward pressure player he still has the potential to be. That or give him a mentoring role behind the scenes for some of the younger players. If he continues the form he had this year, he needs to be put in the reserves until his contract is up. He's just not been playing up to scratch...simple. I would hope his heart is still in it but I question that too. If his contract was up this year, he'd be gone in a flash (excuse the pun). Sometimes second chances bring out the best in people.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back