Retired Aaron Davey

Remove this Banner Ad

MFC: Davey faces big pre-season: Neeld

COACH Mark Neeld has backed former vice-captain Aaron Davey to be ready to go for the start of Melbourne’s pre-season campaign, but added that the 2009 best and fairest winner faces a critical off season.

Speaking at AAMI Park on Friday, Neeld said Davey, who will miss the rest of the season with a foot stress fracture, would start his rehab shortly in preparation for the 2013 season.

“For Aaron, it’s a long-term injury, with his season over. That’s news that no one wants to hear. Aaron’s been in and out of the side with form and injury concerns. He played a good game in the VFL, and now he has a fracture in the foot,” he said.

MFC: Pre-season update: Davey to Jamar

36. Aaron Davey
Aaron has got himself in good shape. He’s completed most of the sessions and we’ve seen some really good defensive efforts from him. His tackling, chasing and ball use have of a improving every week.

– Leigh Brown

MFC: Mentoring calls for Davey

A club best and fairest, vice-captaincy and Australian representation have been among his highlights, although he is now keeping a close eye on life beyond his playing days.
This year, Davey decided to seek out post-football opportunities via AFL Sportsready, a body that supported 282 young men and women with education and employment in the AFL industry in 2012.

Looking beyond footy.

I wouldn't read too much into that aside from the fact that he's getting old in terms of being a footballer and having a plan is pretty important once he's done with the game.

For sure. Just an interesting read. Hopefully he has a strong connection the club long after he retires.

For sure. Just an interesting read. Hopefully he has a strong connection the club long after he retires.

Well, he's got a couple of baby boys so hopefully they come up with the same talent we've seen from him :p

Does his family now live in Melbourne out of interest?

I know he was tempted back to WA at a few points because of his family connections.

Not too sure. I just remember when he had twin boys last year he was talking to robbo on the website about a couple of father son prospects.

36. Aaron Davey

To be honest I didn't really know where to start with Aaron s preview, but as he is, I guess I too am on a hiding to nothing.

MFC site player bio: 'Struggled through the first nine games before an injury to his left knee required surgery and derailed his season. He returned in round 20, but again didn't set the world on fire - his confidence appeared low and he wasn't able to show the on-field leadership he had displayed in previous seasons. An elite talent with pace and a deadly left foot, Davey needs a big pre-season to make an impact either behind the ball as a running half-back flanker, or pinch-hitting in the midfield and up forward.'

MFC site Pre season update: 'Aaron has got himself in good shape. He’s completed most of the sessions and we’ve seen some really good defensive efforts from him. His tackling, chasing and ball use have of a improving every week.'

Where is he now? Aaron is in the twilight of his career turning 30 this year but the light has faded rapidly over the last two seasons. Injury, form & falling out of favour with the incumbent coach have all led to the rapid demise of the 2009 best & fairest winner. He has also become somewhat of a whipping boy amongst fans due to his perceived softness on the field. So at this point he has only one option: Win back the respect of everyone.

What we expect? I think most fans want one thing from Aaron: Effort. He doesn't need to win every contest nor does he need to revive the form of 20109 but what we want to see is visible effort which has has been much maligned for lacking in recent times. As fans we need to reserve judgment until he has been given a chance to play both fit & in his assigned role. He has been praised in the pre season for his defensive effort by the coaching staff & in the practice matches we saw a couple of examples of defensive pressure that had me thinking back to the better times of 2004.

The fact that the coaching staff have focused in on praising him for his defensive pressure, which he has been criticized for both internally & externally for lacking in recent times to shows he has gain a measure of respect back from Neeld & co. This can only be a good thing & the fact that Aaron is a confidence player, this can only have a positive effect on him.

Where will he play? Most are assuming his place in the team belongs in the forward line but if he can get his fitness to pre injury levels he may have a place pushing up onto the half forward or even the wing at times during games. However the first thing he needs to do is make sure he gets his set role down or he will quickly be found filling a role for Casey.

How will it end? We could sum up what is to be expected from Aaron in 2013 in the immortal words of Donald Rumsfeld: There are known knowns. These are things we know that we know. There are known unknowns. That is to say, there are things that we know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we don't know we don't know.

Aaron, the ball is firmly in your court.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back