Recommitted Aaron Francis

Just saying, this kind of goes against your board's fairytale "Ameet Bains is an amateur" narrative, but hey Francis is a superstar

Except this isn't the Essendon board, keep it to the Gresham thread where ever it is.

Did he play this week? If so how did he go?

Bye week for both AFL/VFL sides. Very likely to debut next week.

adsla69k

Club Legend
Aug 26, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Wont be long before Saints are caught up in another scandal. Thought it was today then then the radio said it was Western Bulldogs players. Lol. Hope we trade with Saints again this trade period. It makes it so much more entertaining.

Cant wait to see Francis play at AFL level.

The Bomb

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 17, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon
My opinion so don't crucify me.

Francis is one of the most courageous players I have seen at under18 level, one of the most powerful burst players I have seen and is a competitive animal.
Melbourne and Saints may regret not taking this bloke.
I would take him before Parish and Oliver in a heartbeat, may be wrong when looking back, but he has some serious weapons.

Sep 18, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Leeds United
Well, you're defending Ameet 'pick 5 will absolutely not be traded' Bains in the Aaron Francis thread. Don't worry, I'm sure Carlisle will be a good player for you too.
Bains actually said it wouldn't be traded in a straight swap, and it wasn't.
He must be spewwing with Gresham playing well in the AFL and missing out on a future superstar in Francis who was been in the best once in the VFL. Absolutely spewwwwwing.

Jun 8, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
He must be spewwing with Gresham playing well in the AFL and missing out on a future superstar in Francis who was been in the best once in the VFL. Absolutely spewwwwwing.
Oh look, another insecure Saints fan checking in on the Aaron Francis thread and reminding everyone about Jade Gresham.

Oct 12, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Southampton
Clearly the impassable backline of Gilbert, Lee, Delaney and Roberton would be impossible for Francis to break into. Gresham definitely filled a need for St Kilda's midget squad, they have way too many tall midfielders!

Sep 18, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Leeds United
Clearly the impassable backline of Gilbert, Lee, Delaney and Roberton would be impossible for Francis to break into. Gresham definitely filled a need for St Kilda's midget squad, they have way too many tall midfielders!
Yet he can't even crack into an Essendon side filled with top ups.

Oct 12, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Southampton
Yet he can't even crack into an Essendon side filled with top ups.
He could come straight in and be a massive upgrade on Gwilt or Ambrose. but since he's not 100% ready and this season means nothing for us, why bother?

At least we get 2 AA key defenders back, it's embarrassing the aforementioned (excluding Reberton, who's just having an ordinary season) are getting a game for you, let alone on an AFL list. Enjoy your short people, may they forever look up to Francis (literally).

Sep 18, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Leeds United
He could come straight in and be a massive upgrade on Gwilt or Ambrose. but since he's not 100% ready and this season means nothing for us, why bother?

At least we get 2 AA key defenders back, it's embarrassing the aforementioned (excluding Reberton, who's just having an ordinary season) are getting a game for you, let alone on an AFL list. Enjoy your short people, may they forever look up to Francis (literally).
Fisher, Dempster, Goddard & Carlisle are all unavailable that's why they're getting a game. Kudos to our depth that these embarrassment replacements like Delaney & Lee can help us beat the top of the table Cats. But you're right, they're s**t and Francis would slot straight into our side. I look forward to your forward line absolutely tearing us a new one this weekend.

The Bomb

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 17, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon

Don't stress, Francis will play AFL very soon and you will see what all us West Adelaide supporters seen last year, a beast of a kid who will toy with the opposition, has guts and courage in spades.
His coaches say he is the best pure talent out of SA in quiet a while and in the foreseeable future.
Crows recruiter wanted him badly.
Best kid I have seen play as a utility.

Really good for you guys that Gresham is doing well, you must be excited for next year adding Carlisle to the team. Good get for you guys.

Jun 11, 2007
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Bayern, Milan, Boston Celtics
My opinion so don't crucify me.

Francis is one of the most courageous players I have seen at under18 level, one of the most powerful burst players I have seen and is a competitive animal.
Melbourne and Saints may regret not taking this bloke.
I would take him before Parish and Oliver in a heartbeat, may be wrong when looking back, but he has some serious weapons.
Francis v Oliver at pick 3 was how i saw it.
In hindsight, it seems Melbourne had tabs on Oliver for a while and i can only imagine what glee we had when Carlisle asked to be traded.
The choice between Francis and Parish would have been tough.

Saints did alright to walk away with Carlisle and Gresham in the end. They still need a couple of lockdown talls to put around Jake to get the best out go him. But he was decent business. And clearly surplus to our needs with Hooker and Hurley plus Hartley in our sights.

It was a win-win deal in the end.
We padded our stocks of class kids.
Saints got a good defender.

Jun 11, 2007
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Don't stress, Francis will play AFL very soon and you will see what all us West Adelaide supporters seen last year, a beast of a kid who will toy with the opposition, has guts and courage in spades.
His coaches say he is the best pure talent out of SA in quiet a while and in the foreseeable future.
Crows recruiter wanted him badly.
Best kid I have seen play as a utility.

Really good for you guys that Gresham is doing well, you must be excited for next year adding Carlisle to the team. Good get for you guys.
Yep. Agree with your assessment there.
I happened to catch one of his games while over last year and saw him at the TAC Cup game at Etihad.
I do wonder what would have happened if Carlton pulled an upset and taken him.

1-Francis
2-Schache. was never going to change
3-Oliver. Dees had him locked.
4-Parish
5-Curnow
6-Ah Chee
Hopper bid.
7-Weideman
8-Milera
9-Weitering
Risks i see is Essendon foregoing a forward for another back man to land the best kid in the draft or Gold Coast taking him.

Yep. Agree with your assessment there.
I happened to catch one of his games while over last year and saw him at the TAC Cup game at Etihad.
I do wonder what would have happened if Carlton pulled an upset and taken him.

1-Francis
2-Schache. was never going to change
3-Oliver. Dees had him locked.
4-Parish
5-Curnow
6-Ah Chee
Hopper bid.
7-Weideman
8-Milera
9-Weitering
Risks i see is Essendon foregoing a forward for another back man to land the best kid in the draft or Gold Coast taking him.
Melbourne absolutely would have taken Weitering, and if they wouldn't have, we definitely would have.

i think we would have. Not so sure on Melbourne.
Though would have filled a need.
Weitering would be our CHF probably.

The interesting one for me is if Schache went 1. Brisbane probably go Oliver and Melbourne then Parish or Weitering, with us going the other and Francis.

Jun 11, 2007
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Weitering would be our CHF probably.

The interesting one for me is if Schache went 1. Brisbane probably go Oliver and Melbourne then Parish or Weitering, with us going the other and Francis.
i can't predict how Brisbane would have drafted had Schache gone first.
Probably Weitering as they need talls at both ends.

i can't predict how Brisbane would have drafted had Schache gone first.
Probably Weitering as they need talls at both ends.
They actually didn't. Have Harris, McStay, Gardiner, Paparone in defence as very good talent. I think they go Oliver.

Are the stories about him wanting to go back to SA true or not?

Exactly which stories are these? He's a life long Essendon supporter who's champing at the bit to get into the seniors. Not going anywhere.

Back