Recommitted Aaron Francis [OOC 2022]

Remove this Banner Ad

I think he's complete rubbish as a forward, will simply not make it in. Especially in a top side - if the Bombers continue to improve he will be phased out soon enough.

His best hope is for defence, where he's easily AFL standard. I'd think he'd find it difficult though to break into the Essendon side as I don't think he offers a PoD to Ridley or Laverde who have really come on in the last 2 seasons respectively, and he's a different player to Stewart (better suited to main KD) and also Kelly (better suited to smalls/mediums). Add in the smalls (Heppell, Hind, Redman, Cutler plus Gleeson) and Reid will be prioritized, I think the most likely ending for Francis is in and out of the 22 in 2022 and traded for chips at the end of the year.

He'll be OOC, 25 and shown to be not quite good enough to crack it as a first choice defender then. Unless Laverde, Ridley or a Redman/Kelly get a LTI in which case he has an excellent opportunity to get a spot back.

I reckon that's a pretty fair view honestly. Francis isn't a bad player but I don't think Essendon are getting the best out of him. He's the sort of guy that other clubs will be interested when they can buy cheap.

I have zero faith in him making it as a forward - just doesn't have the goal kicking instincts, workrate or point of difference up there. Ridley/Laverde make it hard for him as a defender. Really he'd best suit a team that have 2 genuine KPD's that need an intercepting 3rd tall that can play on medium sized players and provide rebound. Most teams already have pretty decent 3rd talls type defenders though.

Have been holding out hope for several years now he has a light bulb moment and applies himself to his physical conditioning.

Has all the talent in the world, just needs the fitness to match.
unless that was the reason he took the break, i thought his fitness was fine this year.
He played fairly well in defence & i'd like it if we stuck with him there. Natural position to him and he's a nice safe set of hands coming out of defence.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back