Aaron Francis vs Sam Weideman vs Josh Schache

Who will enjoy the best career at their new club?

• Aaron Francis (at the Sydney Swans)

Votes: 44 58.7%
  • Sam Weideman (at the Essendon Bombers)

Votes: 20 26.7%
  • Josh Schache (at the Melbourne Demons)

Votes: 11 14.7%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

MC Bad Genius

No, not THAT MC Bad Genius. The other one.
Apr 15, 2008
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
The last day of the trade period always seems to have a number of chain reaction trades, but it's usually not for such remarkably similar players as this year. I noticed that the press releases for each of these three players was almost identical - where the destination club was looking for someone to shore up their key position stocks with added flexibility at both ends of the ground. Then I looked onto Footywire and they are basically the exact same player:

Aaron FrancisSam WeidemanJosh Schache
Age25 yr 2 mo25 yr 3 mo25yr 1 mo
Attributes193cm / 92kg195cm / 94kg201cm / 94kg
Draft2015 (Pick #6)2015 (Pick #9)2015 (Pick #2)
Debut2016 (Round #18)2016 (Round #20)2016 (Round #1)
# of Games545972
Average Disposals11.59.09.8
Average Marks4.53.43.8
Total Goals126278
Total Brownlow Votes001

The only real difference is Francis has been used almost exclusively as a defender, Weideman as a forward and Schache a bit more everywhere. Will a new home be the impetus for any of them to take that next step forward? And if so, who will end up having the best post-trade career of the 3 of them?

Francis. He was cruelled by being in 1 of the worse defensive teams in the comp and having no real support. He was trialed forward in 2021 & 2022 with no effect.

Francis can be a very good player and will hopefully thrive in an environment where they actually develop players.

He is a marking half back flank. That’s his spot. We played him there for about 10 minutes and he shone. After that he was thrown to full back to play on monsters (not his go, not big enough), and then… forward.

He has his issues but he couldn’t have landed at a worse club.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He is a marking half back flank. That’s his spot. We played him there for about 10 minutes and he shone.

Still sometimes have wet dreams about that Port game where he took the hanger on Ryder.

It's Francis unless Weideman or Schache can recreate themselves as defenders. Both are proven mediocre as hell forwards and that won't change overnight.

Francis had a clear situational factor that effected his output - he's a 6'4 bloke who doesn't have the game to play 'key' - but because of Essendon's structure/lack of great keys/Jordan Ridley pre '22 playing the role Francis wants to, he was forced to.

At the Swans if he's able to play as that 4th defender who can zone off/intercept/use his beautiful kicking, I reckon we'll see a lot more of the u/18 Aaron Francis who was an absolute jet off half back. Obviously he needs to get the tank/noggin right too.

Even though a week ago I had no opinion of him what so ever I have suddenly come to the completely unbiased conclusion that Francis will be a very good player and just needs a change in locations to bloom.

That's a coincidence. I just came to the same conclusion about Weideman.

It's Francis unless Weideman or Schache can recreate themselves as defenders. Both are proven mediocre as hell forwards and that won't change overnight.

Francis had a clear situational factor that effected his output - he's a 6'4 bloke who doesn't have the game to play 'key' - but because of Essendon's structure/lack of great keys/Jordan Ridley pre '22 playing the role Francis wants to, he was forced to.

At the Swans if he's able to play as that 4th defender who can zone off/intercept/use his beautiful kicking, I reckon we'll see a lot more of the u/18 Aaron Francis who was an absolute jet off half back. Obviously he needs to get the tank/noggin right too.

He plays similarly to the McCartins who you would expect would be a long way in front of him at the moment for a place in the 22. I think he's shown the most promise of the three at AFL level, I just don't see a ready made role for him at Sydney just yet. I suppose they could trial one of Tom or Paddy forward, but failing that I think they have intercept marking reasonably well covered.

Hands down Francis what player doesn't get better and improve playing for the Swans. They have a knack of getting the most out of someone from another club. Francis has got high end talent that he has never fulfilled, but if he gets the between the ears right, he is a perfect fit up there. I would have been happy to have him out our club but given our lake of list spots it wasn't to be.

Francis ability to play as a flanker should make it easier for him to fill a role and capitalise on his talent compared to the other 3.

Still think there is an AFL standard KPP in Weideman just how far above that level he get is the question.

Schache is a less athletic 200cm Mitch Brown. Smart footballer who just doesn’t have the physicality to impact AFL.

Back