Player Watch #10 Aaron Francis

Slingshot Footy

All Australian
Oct 10, 2018
AFL Club
Sydney
The definition of a no risk all reward pick up for the Swans.

At the very worst, he'll be handy injury cover for any of our key position players over the next couple of years.

Hopefully, in a best case scenario, he'll become a lock in best 22 player for a club with serious premiership ambitions over the next 5-7 years.

Welcome to the Swans Aaron!!!

RedBloodBlackSwan

Club Legend
Aug 29, 2021
AFL Club
Sydney
I have a feeling this will be a classic Bloods signing. Francis looks like he had a lot of character to persist in a bad environment with a lot of challenges in his family life. Fresh start and Bloods culture will do him the world of good. Not expecting Francis to be a superstar but think he could become part of a really solid and dynamic back six.

He’s also a proper ranga. Every good team needs a classic ranga. Mills and Blakey have a bit of ranga in them but not enough. On ranga-ness alone Francis could be the difference that helps us go from 2 to 1. Geelong had Rohan’s ranga-ness to get them their GF win and he did nothing.

Swan4Life

Club Legend
Jan 29, 2008
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Buffalo Bills
Happy to give a likeable bloke like Francis a chance at the Swans.

Here's hoping that he can become the best version of himself in red and white.

Welcome aboard mate!

Oct 18, 2018
AFL Club
Sydney
I have a feeling this will be a classic Bloods signing. Francis looks like he had a lot of character to persist in a bad environment with a lot of challenges in his family life. Fresh start and Bloods culture will do him the world of good. Not expecting Francis to be a superstar but think he could become part of a really solid and dynamic back six.

He’s also a proper ranga. Every good team needs a classic ranga. Mills and Blakey have a bit of ranga in them but not enough. On ranga-ness alone Francis could be the difference that helps us go from 2 to 1. Geelong had Rohan’s ranga-ness to get them their GF win and he did nothing.
Adds more colour to the team.

Jun 29, 2010
Bombay
AFL Club
Sydney

Matt Roberts says hi

Matthew-Roberts-on-first-day-with-the-Sydney-Swans.JPG

Tedeski

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 2, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Mava Fan Cooler
It sounds like this guy just needs some teachers to guide him on field & off field.
Aaron has come to the right club. The care factor for it's people at the Swans is 500% greater than that shown by most Victorian teams.
Some of the players given up by the Vic clubs shows that there is little care for their players.
JOM at the Hawks for example & Grundy from the Pies. Treloar a few years ago.

Jan 13, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
I think I've said before that I don't think the recruitment of bloodnuts should be encouraged.

I guess I can cop one provided he doesn't have 6 bloodnut boys all expecting to be father/son recruits.

There needs to be a line.

cherub

All Australian
Aug 12, 2009
Shenton Park
AFL Club
Sydney
I think Francis will need a while to settle in, learn our defensive patterns and roles, get to know his teammates etc. If his fitness is below standard that will also require extra work.
So I don't think we should expect to see him in seniors early in the season. He has talent and if things come together maybe mid-year.
Paul Roos has said in the past, that it takes around a season for a new player to adapt to the gameplan/style at a new club.

Jul 20, 2001
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sydney Swans
I think Francis will need a while to settle in, learn our defensive patterns and roles, get to know his teammates etc. If his fitness is below standard that will also require extra work.
So I don't think we should expect to see him in seniors early in the season. He has talent and if things come together maybe mid-year.
We also said that about McCartin to be fair and Francis has a longer lead in as an officially listed player, not to mentioned played defence more.

Wouldn’t surprise if he lined up Rd1.

He will play straight up imo

They live having a interception player and have said that’s what he is for

Paddy goes to one on one

Rampe moves up to hb more and plays smaller
Gould vs Francis for the interceptor imo

Back